Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help Building Starship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Help Building Starship Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help Building Starship - 11/3/2002 10:18:37 PM   
mjm

Please forgive me I am new. Having trouble understanding building starships. Does having 2 engines on one ship double speed? Engines look like they require 20gw but initial generator only creates 10gw. Yet scouts still fly. Does having more generators increase speed? Does having more generators shorten prep time? Is there way to tell how fast a ship is moving? Is there any way to tell how cargo vessels are being built?
Thank you, Jon M
Post #: 1
- 11/4/2002 12:19:53 AM   
startrekdork

well i just got the game too. so im not so sure about this. the cargo vessels will be automatically built but you can turn that off and choose to build them on your own even though that would be uneccassary and a pain. as for the having two engines makes it go faster technically i think it does. the way it works is the generator makes 10gw which then is sent to whatever componenet needs it and then the component charges up. if you hold your mouse over the ship and see the list of things youll also see the charge rates. for example when the ship goes to leave a system youll see the engine charge up and once it reaches a hundred then it can fly off. so having two generators allows you to charge more systems faster. like for example once i had three computers and i had this huge scan range. im still learning stuff too so i think this is right?

(in reply to mjm)
Post #: 2
- 11/6/2002 10:10:17 AM   
Vaaish

Actually building transports manually is quite helpful especially when you are trying to capture a starsystem that you just destroyed the trade route in. You dont always autobuild before the comp does.

-Vaaish

(in reply to mjm)
Post #: 3
- 11/6/2002 6:20:59 PM   
IonCannon

yes, having more than one of a component speeds up its operation eg having two generators means you have double the charging rate, which is the amount of power the generator puts out or having two computers doubles the scanning range, etc

From what I've understood from the manual and playing, the generators constantly put out the amount of power specified. So, in your case mjm, the generators are putting out 10gw of power say, every second; thus, the engines will get charged in 2 seconds since it takes 20gw to be powered.

NO, having more generators does not make you go a ship go faster since its speed is limited by its engine's max speed. Having more generators does shorten prep time since components get charged much quicker, but for your ship to go faster, you will need to upgrade its engines to higher level.

I'm not sure about where the transports are built, but it would either be from the world itself or launched from the shipyard...Andrew should be better at answering this question :D

As for the ship's cruising speed, there is a table of comparison of all the different engines' speed. However, I don't believe I have seen a ship's speed indicator ingame (sorry if I'm wrong about this).

Hope you have as much fun with the game as I've had (and still having :D).

Cheers

(in reply to mjm)
Post #: 4
- 11/6/2002 9:57:33 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Here's a quicky as most of the info explained here is correct.

Doubling engines will double both you cruise and combat maneuvering speeds. Try putting to same-type ships together, one with one drive and another with two and have them race to another system (make it a fleet action). While the one with two drives will take twice as long to recharge, it will have twice the cruise speed of the other. Drives only have to be fully charged to cruise or jump.

Generators act as both batteries and power generators. When we have a nuclear generator that can hold 10 GW and produce 1 GW per turn, what it means is that the generator will "recharge" its own battery until it reaches its max (e.g. 10 GW) at a rate of 1 GW per turn. When you put a generator into a ship or on a world and there are other components that require energy to work (like drives), then the drives will pull the energy from the generators. Therefore a fully charged nuclear generator will provide a drive 10 GW + 1 GW = 11 GW of energy that turn. BTW, I know that I'm using the wrong units, Watts, to express energy (so sue me :p ).

The more generators you add the more energy available for all your power hungry components. Watching how things recharge during battle will give you a good idea if your designs are underpowered or not. You could always balance designs with non-power components like armor and torps. Also get use to using the Energy Management popup during combat to tap energy from one component to another (drives have good energy storage capacity and are helpfull in recharging sheilds and weapons quickly).

Transports are build from your world (not starports), so they cut into your research time.

BTW, look for a new version with random events soon.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to mjm)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Help Building Starship Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI