Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and fcharton (no swift and undercovergeek, please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and fcharton (no swift and undercovergeek, please) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and... - 12/10/2011 11:01:25 AM   
fcharton

Sorry for the interruption, gaijins, I have been terribly bad at maintaining this AAR. We are now on the 18th of December (yup, slow game), and here is a summary of our war so far.

As you might remember, in this alternate timeline, war erupted in the Pacific when, during the night of the seventh of December 1941, a party of British destroyers attacked a Japanese troop convoy, west of the Philippines. Four Japanese carriers launched a retaliatory strike against Manila, the expected destination of the enemy force and troops stationed near Canton were ordered to Hong Kong.

Meanwhile, a carrier division on patrol around Truk was dispatched to New Guinea. There was no strike against US bases in Central Pacific.

The first days of the war followed a very predictable course. Japanese troops landed on Luzon, in Kota Baru, and Mersing, a few days later, and on northern Borneo. Japanese carriers and cruisers sank a fair number of ships, in the South China Sea, in the Celebes and in the Coral sea.

December 18th, 1941

Luzon

Mauban was our main beachhead on Luzon. The Guards Mixed Brigade and the 21st Division, landing on the seventh, were reinforced by the 33rd ID. Several attempts to dislodge them were repulsed with heavy losses. Today, Batangas fell, and we are marching on Manila, where the bulk of enemy forces seem to be (19 units, 55k troops, 350 guns and as many vehicles reported as of today).

In the north, landings on Appari and Vigan went almost unopposed. Three infantry and two tank regiments are marching along the western coast, towards Clark Field. Engineers, artillery and support elements are moving towards Manila, from Appari.

The 38th Infantry division and several artillery units are now embarking in Hong Kong, and should be arriving in about a week. Our plans for Luzon are straightforward: we have about four division equivalents there, with a fifth joining soon, and enemy forces around Manila have already suffered large losses. We believe we stand a decent chance of taking the island fast. If this works, we have 5 divisions ready for action in January or February. If it does not, we will probably leave a smaller force to besiege Clark and Bataan, and free three divisions for action elsewhere.

Luzon was our only early war target in the Philippines. Mindanao, the Legaspi-Naga area, and the islands will be dealt with at a later stage.

At sea, the initial attack on Manila was a success. 23 US submarines, five destroyers, and cruisers Boise and Houston are reported sunk. A large number of ships, mostly cargoes and auxiliaries, are still reported in Manila.

Malaysia

After the usual landing in Kota Baru, and the capture of the base, a second landing, in Mersing, succeeded in cutting the railway line to Singapore, on hex north of Johore. Further north, the roadblock in Chumphon was cleared.

The enemy has 28 units, and over 40k troops reported in Singapore and Johore. The rest of his forces are scattered along the west coast of Malaya and in Kuantan. Reinforcements are on their way. Our opponents tried to ship troops to Sumatra, but evacuation at sea in the face of KB is not a wise idea, and quite a few units got lost when their carriers were sunk. Several night raids against Singapore destroyed a handful of bombers. So far, enemy bombers achieved very little.

Little is expected to happen here, in the near future, save perhaps an enemy attempt towards Mersing. But it seems obvious that our opponents are much more focused on defending Palembang than Singapore.

(to be continued, due to the one image per post limit)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fcharton -- 12/10/2011 11:02:19 AM >

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 31
RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and... - 12/10/2011 1:19:45 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

Sorry for the interruption, gaijins, I have been terribly bad at maintaining this AAR. We are now on the 18th of December (yup, slow game), and here is a summary of our war so far.

Welcome back, missed you!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton
Luzon

Mauban was our main beachhead on Luzon. The Guards Mixed Brigade and the 21st Division, landing on the seventh, were reinforced by the 33rd ID. Several attempts to dislodge them were repulsed with heavy losses. Today, Batangas fell, and we are marching on Manila, where the bulk of enemy forces seem to be (19 units, 55k troops, 350 guns and as many vehicles reported as of today).

So, why Mauban? Interested in your thoughts about this target ... or did I miss that discussion above?

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 32
RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and... - 12/10/2011 3:17:09 PM   
SoliInvictus202

that is actually quite simple:

we said that we wouldn't do anything too fancy with the warp TFs - so no Mersing - nothing like Ternate or Palembang either...which left something on Luzon... and so we decided to go for Mauban....

now why Mauban... - the bases in the north can easily be taken by the troops from Pescadores and Formosa... whereas some Allied players might use Catalinas with torps to kill Jap shipping.. and Mauban is in a perfect position to threaten an early capture of Manila or to invite a counteroffensive (which our enemies started and failed miserably)... - the most fortunate thing that has happened so far is that our opponents didn't dig in at Clark, but went onto the offensive instead - this will probably give us the choice to take Luzon early and free up a considerable part of our troops...I haven't seen the replay of this turn yet - but I am fairly sure that the troops in the hex south of Manila have been hurt pretty badly in last turns fighting... this should cut down their AV considerable... - and if they forget to turn off replacements then the supplies will dwindle quickly!

in addition to that it seems that our opponents went for an all in on Palembang - they have 500 AV there - but not very high forts... - we only brought 400 in our first wave....BUT - they weakened Malaya and Java to do so... which means once Palembang falls we'll have a quick advance everywhere else - so although we thought that Palembang might be an issue (everyone seems to go for the fortress now...) I am pleased that we will not be delayed anywhere else... this is good :)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 33
RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and... - 12/10/2011 4:51:53 PM   
fcharton

To add to what SoliInvictus said, I see two more advantages about Mauban...

When landing so close to Manila, we run the risk of a counterattack. Unlike Appari and Vigan, the enemy has lots of troops and ships in the area at game start. Mauban provided us with good defensive terrain (jungle), and is not directly connected (by road) to Manila, giving us a little more time to disembark.

(in reply to SoliInvictus202)
Post #: 34
RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and... - 12/10/2011 10:55:11 PM   
fcharton

December 18th, 1941

As Japanese players, we all know those early game turns are bears… Invasions, production, convoys, industry, R&D, so many things can be planned, improved, adjusted, fine tuned. But the more I play this game, the more I believe the real important early game task for Japan is to get a clear picture of Allied short term plans and objectives.

Imperfect convoy routes can be changed, subpar logistics can be mended, faulty invasions can be survived, but a bad assessment of enemy intent will send you into the wall in no time.

We seem to be very lucky, here, because enemy strategy can apparently be summarized in one short motto:

… see ya’ll in Palembang

Enemy buildup in Palembang has begun on the first day of the war. All transport planes and ships in the area seem to be trying to move as many troops as possible, as fast as possible, towards South Sumatra.

Fortunately, we had planned for an early capture of Sumatra, and the presence of KB in the area helped sinking quite a few transports. Due to some problem during troop loading in Samah, the invasion, planned for the 12th, was delayed by a few days, but we did land on the sixteenth, and faced over 500 AV already there.

Today, we have about 400 AV, facing almost 600 allied. A large enemy force has landed in Oosthaven, and there probably are more in Benkoelen. I suspect there are about 1500 AV on South Sumatra.

Japanese reinforcements are arriving soon. Djambi was taken by paradrop on the first days of the war, and reinforced since. Praboemoelih (the base just south of Palembang) was captured by another paradrop two days ago. Our goal was to delay reinforcements from Oosthaven. Troops from Palembang will probably retake the hex, and we will probably cut the railway further south…

I do understand we play the game we have (and the historical importance of oil for Japan), but I can’t help thinking the focus on Palembang imposed by the game system (or, at least, the usual analysis of it) is getting a bit weird.

Of all the bases in the East Indies, Palembang is perhaps most worth fighting for, because any large battle there will most certainly wreck the oil facilities, and therefore have long term consequences on Japan (compare with, say, a defense of Singapore, or Manila). For allied players, this makes the “Palembang fortress” a very logical prospect. Now, against this, landing on the 15th of December (a week into the war) seems a bit late already.

Anyway, we are in for an interesting (if not historical) situation. I think it could be summarized as follows:

Right now, we need to delay reinforcements to Palembang, and try to take the place.
However, as the base gets reinforced, the possibility of taking it with little damage becomes low, and therefore, its strategic interest is reduced.
On the other hand, the more the enemy reinforces the place, the easier the rest of the DEI campaign becomes.
In fact, it might even be worth encouraging our opponents to reinforce southern Sumatra. If we can blockade the ports and airfields at a later stage, and bomb their supply to oblivion (destroying the refineries in Palembang in the process, unfortunately), Sumatra becomes a death trap for the Allied troops.
In the long run, this is profitable for the Allies: they’ll get the troops back, the oil is lost for good. But it might help Japan in its early conquests. All this is very interesting, but somehow it doesn’t feel right…

The fate of Palembang is still in the balance, though. A quick victory there would probably cause a lot of trouble in allied ranks, since 1500 AV of troops would be stranded on Sumatra. If this cannot be achieved, an interesting problem will appear: how to extricate the troops already in Palembang, before enemy reinforcements tip the balance? This will probably justify the early capture of Djambi, which we can use to open a path of retreat.

In other news

Elsewhere, invasions were smooth. The Solomons, the East Coast of New Guinea, the Celebes, and Northern Borneo have been captured with little damage. Our second Carrier Division, operating in the Coral Sea, sank a good number of allied transports (notably the Port Moresby convoy).

As of today, air losses are 149:381 a 2.5 to 1 ratio in our favour. We have sunk 2 cruisers, 10 light cruisers, a dozen destroyers, 30 troop transports and 50 cargos, for only one cruiser and five destroyers.

China is a world of its own, I will address it in the next installment.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Suave mari magno - RA as Japan, Soliinvictus202 and fcharton (no swift and undercovergeek, please) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI