Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Construction yard: Wry Princess

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Construction yard: Wry Princess Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 9:16:16 AM   
nukkxx5058

I'd like to know what kind of ship is the Wry Princess I am manufacturing. But I can't find the information ... Should I buy new glasses ?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 9:27:50 AM   
sbach2o

There's a somewhat indirect way of finding out.

* Select and go to the space port.
* Then use one of several ways of selecting the ship under construction:
* You could pick it by name from the left-click menu when clicking the pile of shapes comprised of the construction yard and the ships under construction/docking there.
* Or there are the little icons in the information panel for the space port which denote the ships under construction. These are links to the respective ship.
* When you have the ship selected, you can double-click its name in the information panel, to jump to its detailed specs, including link to the design etc. The information panel itself has the most important data.

I sort of agree that it would be nice to have some info available in the 'Construction Yards' pane. But the space there is already cramped as it stands.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 12/16/2011 9:28:32 AM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 9:49:59 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Too much madness. Just go to Construction Ships in the right-hand side-bar. It'll show up in Orange, if its under construction. If you don't see it, try Military Ships. If you still don't see it, it must be a colony ship and those get their own drop-down menu in the F10 Ledger.

Similarly, you could try the Military Ships, Exploration Ships, Colony Ships, or Construction Yards drop-downs and filter alphabetically.

< Message edited by Gelatinous Cube -- 12/16/2011 9:50:30 AM >

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 3
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 10:44:15 AM   
nukkxx5058

Wouldn't it be better to simply write it somewhere in plain site (and why not  instead of the nickname "Wry Princess" which you have to admit is not vital information... geeee.... disappointing.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 4
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 10:48:58 AM   
2ndACR

It is probably a civilian ship. Bet you a dollar it is a passenger ship.

They like names like that.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 12:36:59 PM   
StarWolf

While not just include the ship type in parentheses after the ship name? Example: WryPrincess (Cruiser). There looks to be enough room for that and even if it truncates in some cases, there should still be enough information there to tell what's what.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 12:55:52 PM   
MisterBenn

In the meantime your best bet is the mini ship icon next to its name in the construction yard list... if your race happens to have icons you can tell apart at that size. It might be possible to deduce which ship it is from the decimal amount of progress made (if you are a maniac)!

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 7
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 1:10:27 PM   
Cauldyth

You can also click on the Show Construction Summary button with the ship selected. It will open a sub-window with the name of the design at the top, and all of the components going into it.

(in reply to MisterBenn)
Post #: 8
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 1:40:36 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

lol.. what a great thread. So many different ways to play the game!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 9
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 2:20:49 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarWolf

While not just include the ship type in parentheses after the ship name? Example: WryPrincess (Cruiser). There looks to be enough room for that and even if it truncates in some cases, there should still be enough information there to tell what's what.

This would be perfect and I guess not too difficult to implement in the next patch.

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 2:33:35 PM   
feelotraveller

Well, if you can't remember building it, it can't be that important to you.

The quick way to find out is to go to the 'Ships and Bases' screen and scan down for ships in orange (under construction).

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 11
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 3:22:17 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

quote:

This would be perfect and I guess not too difficult to implement in the next patch.

I just found a solution.I can edit the design name in the design screen and add the type of ship in the name. Problem solved.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 12
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 3:57:28 PM   
nukkxx5058

Gloups ! I must have been dreaming ... can't edit a design's name. What the $#%$@ ?!?!?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 4:01:49 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Gloups ! I must have been dreaming ... can't edit a design's name. What the $#%$@ ?!?!?

well, the reason is that design's name is editable, but only for certain designs, not for all of them. Is that a BUG ?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 14
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 4:13:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

You can't edit designs that are already in use. You have to make a new one in those cases. If you are using the latest update, you should see a warning if you try to edit a design that's already in use.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 15
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 6:25:07 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

You can't edit designs that are already in use. You have to make a new one in those cases. If you are using the latest update, you should see a warning if you try to edit a design that's already in use.

Regards,

- Erik

OK Erik, thank you for the explaination. What about adding the ship type into brackets as suggested by StarWolf ?

quote:

Why not just include the ship type in parentheses after the ship name? Example: WryPrincess (Cruiser).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 8:17:58 PM   
Manzikert

quote:

You realize the more information you cram into interfaces the less functional they become? It is a delicate balancing act. DW already has some problems with giving you more info than you need in some menus.

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 17
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 8:29:59 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manzikert

quote:

You realize the more information you cram into interfaces the less functional they become? It is a delicate balancing act. DW already has some problems with giving you more info than you need in some menus.

Well, a balancing act ... yes, that's exactly it ! It's not about how much information we have but which one is important ! Knowing that we are building a Destroyer or a Colony ship is far more vital information than knowing that the ship is named "Princess Something". No ?

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 12/16/2011 8:30:29 PM >

(in reply to Manzikert)
Post #: 18
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 10:16:33 PM   
feelotraveller

You should be able to tell from the icon what sort of ship it is.

Only capital ships and civilians will have names. You should know if you have a capital on order. It won't be a colony ship or a constructor as these can't be built at spaceports.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 19
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/16/2011 11:22:09 PM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

You should be able to tell from the icon what sort of ship it is.

Only capital ships and civilians will have names. You should know if you have a capital on order. It won't be a colony ship or a constructor as these can't be built at spaceports.

Very useful bit of information, this for me at least might have solved the confusion as I don't care too much about the civilain ships and I think I should be able to recognise capital ship by its graphic.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 20
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/17/2011 5:05:16 AM   
geosch

Nukkxx,

You have my vote, I feel the need to quickly identify the type of ship being built. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, you could drop the names and replace them with design + number, such as Bomber Mk3 0002.
And my eyes aren't good enough to see the icons.
For me, one of the keys to a well designed game is to have the information at your fingertips, not buried several clicks away.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 21
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/17/2011 2:45:31 PM   
randal7

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

Only capital ships and civilians will have names.

Also explorers.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 22
RE: Construction yard: Wry Princess - 12/17/2011 5:25:28 PM   
feelotraveller

Yes. Sorry I regard them as 'civilian'... I don't arm mine. But you are correct, they are state ships.

I also think of constructors/colonyships as 'civilian'. *Shrug.*

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Construction yard: Wry Princess Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI