Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 10:37:16 AM   
JapLance

Hi TOAWers,

I have a bit of a visual problem with TOAW3. I'm using the PNG format version of the map, but when I zoom out to the tiny map this is what I get:

Ultratiny map looks the same, but if I switch to BMP files they look OK. I've tried installing again from scratch, but no improvements.

Reading the docs that come with the game, I've found a mention of t_ and u_ prefixed files, but I can't find them anywhere in my graphics or altgraphics folders, neither in BMP or PNG formats.

Well, ultratiny is not so important, but I'd like to be able to get a proper tiny view. I searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything about it, yet I find strange that nobody mentioned it before, so perhaps I didn't use the right words in the search engine.

Were these t_ and u_ files included in the latest updates? Any help would be welcome.

Greetings from Spain.
Post #: 1
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 10:57:10 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Compadre,

what are your graphics settings? Make sure you use 32bit, not 16bit graphic depth. It looks like you use a 3:3 or 4:3 stretch format, too. What are your specs?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 11:00:41 AM   
Telumar

Contrast and Brightness settings in the options? Standard is 100.

Or do you use any Graphic Mod? If you don't have all three versions (H_, normal, s_) of a tile in AltGraphics the engine scales the missing ones from the existing tiles (doesn't take those from normal Graphics) which often looks odd.

There are no tiny or ultratiny Graphics in the patch. Also i don't know any Mod that contains these.

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 11:23:53 AM   
JapLance

Thanks for the fast replies .

I'm using 32bits graphics in 1280x1024 resolution. Huge, normal and small views all look fine. Contrast & Brightness are at 100. No mods are being used.

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 11:37:38 AM   
Telumar

Too bad. What's your OS? Is this Vista or XP with a 3rd party theme?

One thing that catched my eye is the colour of your off map hexes. In your screenshot they have the GUI style (the dk blue). Normally they should be black, see the attached graphic. Maybe try to update your graphic drivers or switch to classic windows theme and see if the issue is still there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 5
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 11:46:30 AM   
Telumar

Have you played around with graphics? I.e. used any of the "switch graphics.." .exe in the game menue folder? It could also be that your graphic files are corrupted. When you installed from scratch, have you uninstalled properly before and ensured you deleted all the files from the previous install?

Maybe try out a png Graphic Mod (you can find one at my blog, click the TOAW beachhead graphic). If the problem disappears your original graphics in the graphics folder are most probably corrupted.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 5:05:01 PM   
JapLance

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Have you played around with graphics? I.e. used any of the "switch graphics.." .exe in the game menue folder? It could also be that your graphic files are corrupted. When you installed from scratch, have you uninstalled properly before and ensured you deleted all the files from the previous install?

Maybe try out a png Graphic Mod (you can find one at my blog, click the TOAW beachhead graphic). If the problem disappears your original graphics in the graphics folder are most probably corrupted.

This is what I did:

First I installed a new copy into a different folder, keeping the old one. After testing the new one and finding out that there were no differences I realised I had broken the old install (problem with the serial number), so I uninstalled and deleted everything and have just installed again from scratch.

But the new install from zero makes no difference: I keep getting the look of my screen capture before, including GUI. That leads me to the question you raised about the OS Theme or the graphic card drivers, but I'm eager to make changes in those departments without a very, very good reason.

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 6:13:55 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Ariba compadre,

you can save your desktop theme/settings under 'custom' setting and if possible, switch to the classic display, if there's such a thing at Windoze 7 ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JapLance)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/18/2011 8:41:23 PM   
Telumar

As the Oberst says.

If you're so reluctant to "deep operations, try first to install a .png Graphic Mod. Download any you want (mine, JMass or the one at RD), copy the Graphic files to AltGraphics and see if the problem is still there.

Btw, what's your OS? XP? I can't tell from the screenshot.

If all doesn't help you can post a directX diagnostic file here, maybe Ralph can take a look at it.

< Message edited by Telumar -- 12/18/2011 8:43:12 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 9
RE: Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views - 12/19/2011 3:13:58 PM   
JapLance

A new set of updated drivers for my video card finally solved the problem. I had updated them not so long ago, but they were already old .

Danke sehr, Telumar und Herr Oberst , for your help.

PD: it is a WinXP+SP3 OS, but with a Dark Theme.

< Message edited by JapLance -- 12/19/2011 3:16:28 PM >

Greetings from Spain.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Problem with PNG tiny and ultratiny views Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI