Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help A Noob Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Help A Noob Out Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 6:13:28 PM   
VonFrag

All I want for Christmas are a few airgroups to get to the front lines. I am not able to load airgroups onto cargo ships for transport to distant bases. I have scoured the forums and all of you seem to be much smarter than I since I have not found much on the subject. I read where the hq can not be restricted (more on that later) and the ships have to be docked. Done that and still when I attempt to load planes on a cargo ship it shows nothing to load onto. I tested it at Pearl and the only ships it would allow me to load onto was the untask forced CV's. Now my questions are:

How do you load planes onto ships and what types of ships can take them? I figured AK's would be able to do so.

How do you unrestrict an hq?

I am attempting to ferry my B-17's to Australia from the PI which is exactly what they did during the war. When I click transfer to base all it gives me are the bases in the Far East USAAF................Then when I hit chose from list, it tells me I cant for a reason I cant remember off the top of my head.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated and I promise to tilt one back to you when my ships carrying all those fighters and bombers to the front are on their way and my B-17 crews are kicking back with a Fosters or two in Oz.

And I have read over the manual and it leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks again

Post #: 1
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 6:56:33 PM   
Sardaukar

Most likely you are trying to transfer Restricted groups. You see them with R behind their HQ name.

Those with their HQ name with Yellow can be re-attached by paying PP (Political Points).
Those with white you can never transfer outside their command.

If HQ name is yellow,click that and it'll give you option to re-attach unit. Just be careful not to re-attach it to another Restricted command (USAFFE, ABDA etc.).

It's not like MacArthur would let you strip his bombers off without price?

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/21/2011 7:03:49 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 2
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 7:35:38 PM   
Ken Estes

Make sure the mission of the ship TF loading aircraft is Transport, not Cargo.

I don't recall getting any a/c out of the PI, except for some fighters with enough range and that's about it. They then died in Java, I think. You can disband them, of course, and they can return when you liberate the P.I., but there are limits to what P-26 fighters and B-10 bombers can do ... no upgrades for these or most of the Dutch squadrons, which have the same predicaments.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 7:52:54 PM   
HansBolter

Additionally, once you have secured the ability to transfer these squadrons outside the PI by paying the Political Point cost you might want to take a step back and reconsider your transfer method of choice.

While it is perfectly possible to load them aboard AKVs or AKs of xAKs or even xAKLs of sufficient size if these ship types are placed in an AIR TRANSPORT task force, why would you want to do so?

The B17Ds stationed in the PI can stage to Darwin from Cagayan in an air transfer so why put them in ship holds to run the gauntlet of Japanese subs that will surely be deployed to intercept the ship board evacuees from the Phillippines.

Yes, it's a long transfer and yes sometimes long transfers by inexperienced pilots result in a few ops losses, but the chance of an ops loss is still better in my mind than the very real chance of losing the entire squadron to Davy Jone's Locker AFTER paying the PP cost to release them.

The fighters and even the float planes (which are attached to Southeast Asia command like the patrol planes and can be transferred without any PP expenditure) can stage out by multiple hops either through the Celebes or Borneo (be sure to set the P40Es to use drop tanks as it extends the transfer range limit), again no need to risk any of them in the holds of ships in sub infested and surface action group patrolled waters

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 12/21/2011 8:29:00 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Ken Estes)
Post #: 4
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 10:03:27 PM   
VonFrag

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I am attempting to crate up AC from the west coast and get them to the pacific as quickly as possible. I am still in late December of 41. And yes, I am not attempting to crate up B-17's, it wouldnt let me transfer them to any of the southern bases on the ferry run to Darwin. I assume this is because the HQ they are attached to is restricted. I will change it to one that is not and try that, perhaps ABDA. I have a test convoy of AK's heading to San Fran to try and load a squadron. I will make sure they are docked and that the test squadron is not restricted or perm to that HQ. Now then once the TF is docked, I can goto the squadron panel and hit transfer to ship, this is the correct method of loading?

Now then, is it possible to make a restricted HQ unrestricted?

And thank you again

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 10:16:28 PM   
msieving1

All of the B-17s in the Phillipines are in restricted HQs. You need to change the HQ before you can transfer them. That takes political points (PP), which are in short supply starting out.

It's not possible to make a restricted HQ unrestricted. Nor is it always possible to change a unit's HQ. If the unit's HQ is displayed in yellow text, you can change it, if you have enough PP. If the HQ is displayed inwhite text, you cannot chage the HQ.

To load an airgroup on a AK, you have to load them as troops. You don't transfer the group to the ship. Go to the taskforce screen and click to load troops. You'll get a list of land and air units that you can select. You can only load one unit per ship, regardless of the ship's capacity.

< Message edited by msieving1 -- 12/21/2011 10:21:44 PM >

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 6
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/21/2011 11:06:55 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonFrag

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I am attempting to crate up AC from the west coast and get them to the pacific as quickly as possible. I am still in late December of 41. And yes, I am not attempting to crate up B-17's, it wouldnt let me transfer them to any of the southern bases on the ferry run to Darwin. I assume this is because the HQ they are attached to is restricted. I will change it to one that is not and try that, perhaps ABDA. I have a test convoy of AK's heading to San Fran to try and load a squadron. I will make sure they are docked and that the test squadron is not restricted or perm to that HQ. Now then once the TF is docked, I can goto the squadron panel and hit transfer to ship, this is the correct method of loading?

Now then, is it possible to make a restricted HQ unrestricted?

And thank you again

I am not sure if "transfer to ship" works for loading into transports. I have always assumed that was an air staging transfer and I use it solely for transferring planes to ship types that can operate them while they are aboard (ie..CVs, CVLs, CVEs and the few Allied AVs with an aircraft capacity).

I have always shipped air squadrons by using Air Transport TFs, not Transport TFs and have always loaded them by hitting the "Load Troops" button. When hitting the "Load Troops" button with an Air Transport TF the only type of "troops" available for loading (ie..not greyed out) are air squadrons. The TF must be docked to load. It works perfectly every time. You need one ship per air squadron in the Air Transport TF. AKVs in an Air Transport TF will allow the air squadron to arrive in ready condition instead of the damaged/maintenance condition that they arrive in when shipped aboard the other types of ships that can be used in an Air Transport TF (shipped on deck rather than dismantled and shipped in the hold).

Hope this helps.

Hans

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 7
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/22/2011 1:31:15 AM   
VonFrag

DOH! Many thanks all. My procedure was wrong and now my planes are flowing to the fronts in droves on ships............. And my B-17's are safely in Darwin, but not until I changed HQ's. That is expensive at 32 victory points a pop, but this early in the war worth it I think. So as promised, I tip back a cold one to you all.

One last question if you all do not mind.

Can you unrestrict a restricted HQ?

VonFrag

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Help A Noob Out - 12/22/2011 12:02:39 PM   
HansBolter

Nope.

Even some units can't be changed as they have thier command identification printed in white text.

The idea is that at a cost players can reassign units out of thier historical deployments, but with limits, since as players we would have a tendency to strip units from historically deployed locales in a mercenary manner that would leave the historically garrisoned locales completely bare.

The devs basically had to put a governer on the potentially run away engine of player determined unit reassignment.

They also use it to keep overagressive Allied players from skewing the early game by forcing them to spend PPs to release units from the US that did historically deploy to the Pacific. This keep the Allied player from deploying them all on December 8th and forces it into a trickle over time as the cost of release can be very high for some units.

Take a look at all the Marine units in San Diego and look for the 164th Infantry Regiment, the first regiment of the Americal Division to arrive in game, all of these units need to be paid for to release them.

Look over your on map force pool and see what units under restricted command might be useful to you by releasing them. For instance, the Kiwis have an extra engineer company that is quite cheap to release and can be used to get a jump start on building facilities at Noumea as it takes a while to get a US engineer or base unit there.

Hans

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Help A Noob Out Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI