Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Auto File Compression Feature

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> New Auto File Compression Feature Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Auto File Compression Feature - 11/9/2002 9:00:48 AM   
Admiral DadMan

If I had to choose taking the extra step, I'd do it, because this slows down my saves

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Post #: 1
- 11/9/2002 9:41:05 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

The bottom line is simple here. One it makes it very hard if not almost impossible to cheat in PBEM games, which is our main goal here. Second it make takes away the step of needing to Zip the save files before you email them. We got a 9 meg save file down to 900k that is a big improvment.

We are sorry for it taking a little longer and maybe we should up the minimun requirements for the game but this is a feature this really needs to stay.

David

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 2
- 11/9/2002 9:51:56 AM   
Caltone

Hi David,

The auto compression feature is great but the slowness is the time switching between screens, especially when going to the save game screen, nearly a minute for me. Any comment on this issue? I've seen several others post similar experiences.

My machine is:

Athlon XP 1800
512 mb DDR ram
GF3 Ti 500 64mb
Win Xp Pro

My system should easily handle anything UV can throw at it, maybe someone can take a look at this?

Love all the new features and thanks for the wonderful support.

Post #: 3
- 11/9/2002 10:05:20 AM   
David Heath

Sorry if I sound like an idiot (no comments) :D but explain what you mean in detail about switching screens... I want to make sure I understanding you. Also tell me your system specs and available HD space.

David

Post #: 4
- 11/9/2002 10:18:20 AM   
CommC

With v2.0 it takes a lot longer to save the game because the save game screen takes a long time to come up once you select the save game icon on the UV menu bar.

v1.4 was a lot faster to get to the save game screen.

I have a PIII 600, 128 mb ram, TNTII Ultra 32 mb graphics card

Post #: 5
- 11/9/2002 10:41:20 AM   
Sonny

I like it.:)

Post #: 6
Delay - 11/9/2002 11:54:48 AM   
mogami

Hi when you select save game the pause is the file being compressed. If you are playing a solo it is a pain in the butt (some players save every turn) If you are playing PBEM then you don't lose any time (time here used to be spent zipping and unzipping files) So what I think some of the people want is compression only on PBEM files.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 7
- 11/9/2002 12:49:45 PM   
gus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Sorry if I sound like an idiot (no comments) :D but explain what you mean in detail about switching screens... I want to make sure I understanding you. Also tell me your system specs and available HD space.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi David,

From discussions with my PBEM friends the performance issues that most people are encountering occur during the initial loading and saving of the UV game file, accessing the save game file screen, and when accessing ship,TF and base screens of a pre- UV 2.0 save game file.

The loading and saving performance issue is due to the automated decompression and compression feature and so is therefore at worst a wash but IMO quite handy thank you very much!!!

The perfomance hit incurred when accessing info screens while in-turn are strictly a one time hit AFAIK and once the save game file is converted to the new format that performance hit disappears. So at least from my perspective I do not believe this will be an ongoing issue once the old files have been overwritten or removed.

The performance hit for accessing the save game screen is not incurrred because the current turn file is being compressed but because the UV needs to decompress every file in the UV save game directory to populate the file list and their respective comments. If you clear out all of the old pre UV 2.0 save game files this will help quite a bit. Also keeping as few files as possible in this directory helps as well.

Cheers

Gus

Post #: 8
- 11/9/2002 1:28:36 PM   
David Heath

OK this has helped a bit and also reminded me of something I had forgotten. The Listings have been made to sort much faster after the first time they are loaded. Ok I am going to be watching this but I think for the most part this is how its going to play.

Thank you for your help.

Post #: 9
- 11/9/2002 8:12:05 PM   
Pawlock

To be honest, I never did have a problem with the old system, as the latest version of Winzip would automatically open my email and attach it. Now I find myself doing a lot more alt tabbing than before to send a turn.

And yes it does slow my sytstem down somewhat, nothing great as I have Top spec machine, but could certainly sympathise with people who have lower end machines.

At the end of the day Matrix/2 by 3 are in a catch 22 situation, so I can also sympathise there too!!

Post #: 10
Ok Ok - 11/9/2002 8:55:21 PM   
Caltone

I'm going to rescend my complaint about the slow down. Today it is much better. Yesterday I was returning games all of which were 1.4. Today all my opponents have converted to 2.0 and it is much faster. Still a longer delay than before when going to the save game screen but since it is auto compressing this is much faster than loading winzip, etc. I'll get used to restarting the game for each turn as well. Good job guys and thanks.

Post #: 11
.02$ - 11/9/2002 9:36:01 PM   
mariovalleemtl

I prefer the new system.

mv

Post #: 12
- 11/9/2002 11:36:43 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Hey! I rated a "Sticky"!

Seriously, I like the idea that there's increased PBEM security, and the idea that saved games now take up less than 5% of the space they used to (250KB vs 9MB).

When I added up the time added by the Auto Compress vs. launching a "zip" program etc., it was pretty much the same.

I guess where it came into play was during solo games vs the AI. If you're one to save before execution then it comes into play. It also adds about 10 seconds or so to the combat resolution becuase the program zips the Autosave (save000.dat) file.

All in all, I love it for PBEM, grumble about it for solo play, but.... I'll get used to it.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 13
- 11/10/2002 1:52:50 AM   
Sonny

I rescind my approval. Having to reload the game every time is a pain in the rear.

Post #: 14
- 11/10/2002 2:05:09 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]I rescind my approval. Having to reload the game every time is a pain in the rear. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

Rename the VIDEO folder (to anything you like) and create a new folder called VIDEO that is empty. Since you no longer get the video intro you are back to a new game in no time.

Dan

Post #: 15
- 11/10/2002 4:59:54 AM   
bilbow

Overall time is about the same, but it saves disk space and having to remember to send the replay file if I'm Japanese, and not if I'm allied. It's annoying for one's opponent to tell me I sent the wrong file, and then waiting some more for his turn. Or sometimes even having to regenerate the replay if I've played a turn from another game in the meantime. I've only got 3 going- I can imagine the screwing around with files that more games would entail. Hassle that is now gone, at the expense of a bit more in-game time.

A definite plus.

Bill:) :)

Post #: 16
- 11/10/2002 5:47:15 AM   
Pawlock

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bilbow
[B]Overall time is about the same, but it saves disk space and having to remember to send the replay file if I'm Japanese, and not if I'm allied. It's annoying for one's opponent to tell me I sent the wrong file, and then waiting some more for his turn. Or sometimes even having to regenerate the replay if I've played a turn from another game in the meantime. I've only got 3 going- I can imagine the screwing around with files that more games would entail. Hassle that is now gone, at the expense of a bit more in-game time.

A definite plus.

Bill:) :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmm, so does it compress the replay file too all into 1 file? I tried it with just the data file but wether Im doing something wrong it doesent seem to uncompress the combat replay as well eg : in my efforts I can play my turn recieved from an IJN opponent but if wish to view replay I get the old replay from days gone by.

If it does compress the replay too , how do you uncompress it?

Post #: 17
- 11/10/2002 6:01:50 AM   
Raverdave

Well I think that it is just great! It has made my game play a lot easier.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 18
- 11/10/2002 8:42:05 AM   
CapAndGown

My big gripe is having two files to mess with, and not being able to name them what I want. :rolleyes: Oh please let us have the standard file selection dialogue! :cool:

Post #: 19
2 files - 11/10/2002 8:43:58 AM   
mogami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pawlock
[B]

Hmm, so does it compress the replay file too all into 1 file? I tried it with just the data file but wether Im doing something wrong it doesent seem to uncompress the combat replay as well eg : in my efforts I can play my turn recieved from an IJN opponent but if wish to view replay I get the old replay from days gone by.

If it does compress the replay too , how do you uncompress it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, The replay is a large file as well. 2.00 compress's both but PBEM Japanese still need to send the game file and 001 (replay)
then allies watch 001 then load the game file to make their turn
(same as before) so make sure your opponent is still sending 2 files.

Post #: 20
Re: 2 files - 11/10/2002 9:26:13 AM   
Pawlock

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]

Hi, The replay is a large file as well. 2.00 compress's both but PBEM Japanese still need to send the game file and 001 (replay)
then allies watch 001 then load the game file to make their turn
(same as before) so make sure your opponent is still sending 2 files. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying that, I was correct all along then and was not going insane. In essence to me nothing has changed, in fact only more work. As I have said previously if used the latest version of Winzip; when you compress something you can get it to automatically attach to email. The compression only used to take 1- 2 secs.

Post #: 21
zip - 11/10/2002 9:31:38 AM   
mogami

Hi, Yes for some it might not be a big help. I prefer not having to zip or unzip the files now before sending e-mails. And since I am playing a lot of PBEM games and I download all incoming and do turns before sending back it is easier for me just to attach the files as I send the e-mails

Post #: 22
- 11/10/2002 10:18:57 AM   
XPav

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cap_and_gown
[B]My big gripe is having two files to mess with, and not being able to name them what I want. :rolleyes: Oh please let us have the standard file selection dialogue! :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]
Yes.

I mean, sure, the standard windows file box doesn't LOOK like the rest of UV, but it sure works a lot better.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Post #: 23
- 11/10/2002 10:56:53 AM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2
[B]

Hi

Rename the VIDEO folder (to anything you like) and create a new folder called VIDEO that is empty. Since you no longer get the video intro you are back to a new game in no time.

Dan [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats the 1st thing I did. Still takes longer to load than doing things the way I did before 2.0 - also all my list sorts have to be done again (yeah that isn't a biggie, just a nuisance).:)

Post #: 24
- 11/10/2002 2:52:25 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

Also delete all your old 1.4 save files. Some have found that tbis speeds up the game too.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 25
speeding up game. - 11/11/2002 7:40:11 PM   
strollen

[QUOTE] Ross Moorhouse Also delete all your old 1.4 save files. Some have found that tbis speeds up the game too. [/QUOTE]

Ok I'll try that I have a lot of 1.4 solo games stored I guess I don't need them.

I just deleted my 40 odd old solitare save games, and UV got a lot lot faster. So I guess the secret to game is to not have file in the save directory stored in the old format!

Post #: 26
Drivers, BIOS, and bugs - 11/12/2002 2:06:04 AM   
Admiral DadMan

One other important point (that was brought up a long time back) is to go make sure that your device drivers and BIOS versions are all up to date.

I had been having some issues (before 2.0 and after) unrelated to save games.

Last night while cooking dinner and returning my moves to Mogami (get your rabbit's foot out buddy :) ), my laptop threw up on itself and I was forced to reinstall drivers and the like (hey, it wasn't the food! How do you screw up Tombstone and DJourno pizza!?!?).

For the heck of it, I checked the BIOS and found an upgrade, and applied it as well.

Perfomance is much improved so far, including the new save game compression routine.

I still stand by my position that the new feature is great for PBEM, but a tiny bit irksome in solo play...

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 27
Encryption of "Auto Save" - 11/24/2002 8:32:41 PM   
Don Bowen

Although I generally agree with the compressed Save File concept, the one place that still bothers me is the “Auto Save”. With my older system and file compression there is now an extended delay at the beginning of each turn (I am NOT playing PBEM). This comes after all combat and before the weather pop-up. With a desire to check the combat results or begin making moves, the delay seems eternal.

Is it possible to bypass encryption on the auto save or in some other way to speed up this process?

Unfortunately I have a slower system (the dream system from three years ago) that I can not yet afford to replace. File compression seems to tax it heavily.

Don Bowen

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> New Auto File Compression Feature Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI