Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 12/13/2011 8:00:53 PM   
Extraneous

ItBurns got the answer

Sorry Ezz but I can't resist this one

The G3 battlecruiser and N3 battleships were not allowed under the Washington Naval Treaty.

In order to keep battleship designs within the Washington Naval Treaty limitations HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney used many aspects of the G3 and N3 designs.

They were known as "Washington's Cherry Trees" or “the Cherry Trees".

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 12/13/2011 8:11:46 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2431
RE: Next quiz - 12/13/2011 9:18:29 PM   
ezzler

Quite right!

'Cut down by Washington' to fit the new limitations.

ItBurns was right about the torpedoes. 12 fired by Rodney at Bismark. One may have hit.
A near miss by Bismark put the torpedo tubes out of action.

That radar turned out to be better placed on Rodney than Nelson. Ageing Rodney's 16" slow firing guns got off many more rounds than brand new KGV which suffered from design faults, faulty/untried equipment and flooding in heavy seas. Scored more hits too.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2432
RE: Next quiz - 12/13/2011 9:22:30 PM   
warspite1

ezz - for those of us who do not know - what is the story about George Washington and the Cherry Tree?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2433
RE: Next quiz - 12/13/2011 10:03:43 PM   
ezzler

Its an American school story told very similarly to the ones we learned about Alfred and the cakes or Robert the Bruce and the spider.

Tradition has it that George Washington, America's first president, chopped down a cherry tree in his youth.
George gave the tree a good whack and chops it down. His father sees the damaged tree and asks his son if he knows who did the deed. George is reported, to have replied to his father's query by answering:
"I can't tell a lie, Pa; you know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2434
RE: Next quiz - 12/14/2011 5:53:18 PM   
Centuur

Alfred and the cakes? Or Robert the Bruce and the spider? Probably American school tales... I don't know those at all...  The only Robert the Bruce I've ever heard of has something to do with the Scots and the English in the Middle Ages... 

Peter

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2435
RE: Next quiz - 12/14/2011 7:36:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Alfred and the cakes? Or Robert the Bruce and the spider? Probably American school tales... I don't know those at all...  The only Robert the Bruce I've ever heard of has something to do with the Scots and the English in the Middle Ages... 
Warspite1

American? No ezz is saying these are stories taught to British school children stories in the same way as Washington and the Cherry Tree is told to American children - King Alfred and yes, Robert the Bruce.

Sadly the reality is that, nowadays, if any British school child was told about King Alfred I'd be astounded

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2436
RE: Next quiz - 12/14/2011 8:49:30 PM   
Centuur

Those kind of stories... Well. However we're going off topic here.

Now, today, there was a news item on the national News here, regarding WW II...

It was about one of the Dutch U boats (the K XVI), which got torpedoed by the Japanese in the South Chinese Sea. There was a remembrance service for relatives today at Den Helder (the Dutch Navy port) because of the fact that Australian divers accidently discovered the wreck of the vessel, which was still unaccounted for. In a couple of weeks, a Dutch naval vessel will sail for the area to honour the crew, who all died there...

From all Dutch submarines ever build, now only one remains missing. All others have been found.

The Dutch submarines were numbered in two ways. The number of the first preceded with the capital K (as mentioned) and followed with Roman numbers (like the K XVI). The other numbers were preceded with another capital letter, followed by arabic numbers. What was the other capital used and why was there a difference regarding the use of those capitals and numbers?

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2437
RE: Next quiz - 12/14/2011 10:58:00 PM   
ezzler

The other letter was 'O'.
I have no idea why.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2438
RE: Next quiz - 12/15/2011 1:24:55 AM   
Extraneous

"K" stands for "Koloniën" (colonies) ~ submarines built for the Dutch colonies
"O" stands for "Onderzeeboot" (Under sea boat or submarine) ~ submarines built for the Dutch home waters

Some Dutch submarines were started as "K" submarines and then were renamed and finished as "O"submarines.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2439
RE: Next quiz - 12/15/2011 7:30:26 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

"K" stands for "Koloniën" (colonies) ~ submarines built for the Dutch colonies
"O" stands for "Onderzeeboot" (Under sea boat or submarine) ~ submarines built for the Dutch home waters

Some Dutch submarines were started as "K" submarines and then were renamed and finished as "O"submarines.

You're right. The Dutch did try to decide before going to the drawing boards where a boat or smaller naval vessel would be operating. Building for the West or East Indies (tropics, large area's to cover) was different than building for the North Sea (relatively cold climat, short distances...).
Lack of funds during the depression did put a temporary hold on the development and building of a class of O boats in the early 1930's. However, they did want some modern boats in the Dutch waters, so they decided that a couple of K boats would stay in Dutch waters and did rename them as O submarines.
Another peculiar thing about Dutch submarine building is that they always developed classes with the intention to build them in two's or fours. After that, they would go back to the drawing table to make more modern ones. This is still done even today...

Peter

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2440
RE: Next quiz - 12/20/2011 3:19:48 PM   
ItBurns

Okay my turn again,

Can you name the Submarine that deliberately rammed a surface ship and survived?
(I know of only one, if there are more I apologies)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2441
RE: Next quiz - 12/21/2011 3:37:31 PM   
ItBurns

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

Okay my turn again,

Can you name the Submarine that deliberately rammed a surface ship and survived?

Clue number 1:

The rammed ship fired machine guns into this sub at point blank range while the two ships were locked together. Commander Gilmore was hit and trapped on the conning tower by the fire but he ordered his crew to "Take her down." The XO, Lt Cdr. Schade shut the hatch and dived, freeing the Sub. For his actions Gilmore was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of honor, one of only 6 submariners to earn one.

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2442
RE: Next quiz - 12/22/2011 3:44:02 PM   
ItBurns

quote:

quote:

Okay my turn again,

Clue number 1:

The rammed ship fired machine guns into this sub at point blank range while the two ships were locked together. Commander Gilmore was hit and trapped on the conning tower by the fire but he ordered his crew to "Take her down." The XO, Lt Cdr. Schade shut the hatch and dived, freeing the Sub. For his actions Gilmore was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of honor, one of only 6 submariners to earn one.

Clue number 2:

The submarine's name and class name begin with the same letter.

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2443
RE: Next quiz - 12/23/2011 1:24:22 AM   
ezzler

if its a RN 'T' class it could be one on many. The Triton was sunk - lets try that.

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2444
RE: Next quiz - 12/23/2011 6:25:57 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

if its a RN 'T' class it could be one on many. The Triton was sunk - lets try that.

Warspite1

The Congressional Medal of Honor reference in clue 1 suggests its an American sub.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2445
RE: Next quiz - 12/25/2011 2:55:52 AM   
ItBurns

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay my turn again,

Clue number 1:

Clue number 2:

Sorry I wasn't able to get back till today - I blame it on the holidays.

As Warspite said it's an American submarine.

Clue number 3: The Submarine was of the Gato class.

Edit: As I might not be on again for a while I'll throw in another clue - the Sub's name is similar to the sound and angry dog makes.

< Message edited by ItBurns -- 12/25/2011 2:59:49 AM >

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2446
RE: Next quiz - 12/25/2011 8:30:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay my turn again,

Clue number 1:

Clue number 2:

Edit: As I might not be on again for a while I'll throw in another clue - the Sub's name is similar to the sound and angry dog makes.

Warspite1

USS Barb (k)???

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2447
RE: Next quiz - 12/25/2011 8:32:52 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay my turn again,

Clue number 1:

Clue number 2:

Warspite1

USS Barb (k)???

Warspite1

or USS Growler??

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2448
RE: Next quiz - 12/25/2011 8:53:52 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Warspite1

The Congressional Medal of Honor reference in clue 1 suggests its an American sub.

< Message edited by JeffK -- 12/25/2011 8:56:42 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2449
RE: Next quiz - 12/25/2011 3:56:26 PM   
ItBurns

Warspite scores! Yes it was the USS Growler. I kind of thought that last clue would give it away.

On 7th February 1943 Growler approached a gunboat to make a night surface attack. The gunboat spotted her and turned to ram. Growler reacted by going to full speed and ramming first. Her bow bent 18' to the port side but Growler was still able to submerge and escape.

She was repaired in Brisbane and earned the nick name Kangaroo express as 2 nickle kangaroos had been added to her bow during the repair.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2450
RE: Next quiz - 12/27/2011 5:14:57 PM   
Extraneous

The story of the Growler ramming the Japanese ship was used in the movie "Operation Pacific" (John Wayne and Ward Bond).

Ward Bond played the submarine commander who gave the order "Take her down".

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2451
RE: Next quiz - 12/28/2011 6:41:48 PM   
warspite1

Well well well - you learn something new every day!

The 1st US Marines Division invaded Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in August 1942. Most of these men would have visited Solomons Island just a few months previously. Why?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2452
RE: Next quiz - 12/28/2011 8:22:15 PM   
paulderynck

deleted

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 12/28/2011 8:27:04 PM >

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2453
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 3:30:37 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

The 1st US Marines Division invaded Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands in August 1942. Most of these men would have visited Solomons Island just a few months previously. Why?

MONTHS previously

Operation WATCHTOWER (AKA Operation SHOESTRING)

First there were the inter-service rivalries between the US Army, US Navy, and US Marines.

The choice of objectives:
(A) New Britain/New Ireland area as the objective and therefore driving the Japanese back to Truk (favored by US Army Chief of Staff, General George C Marshall and Commander in Chief, Southwest Pacific Forces General MacArthur).

(B) Tulagi to lessen the danger from the Japanese and establish a base in the Solomons for future operations (favored by Chief of Naval Operations, Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Ernest J King and Command in Chief, Pacific Fleet (CINCPAC) and Pacific Ocean Area (CINCPOA) Admiral Chester W Nimitz).

The Joint Chiefs resolved this conflict on July 2 with issuance of the "Joint Directive for Offensive Operations in the Southwest Pacific Area Agreed on by the United States Chiefs of Staff."

Airpower:
After establishing a fighter base in the lower New Hebrides for MAG-23 and VMF-212 the "Hell Hounds". Both General Patch and Admiral Ghormley recommended in May that a force be sent even farther north, to Espiritu Santo 150 miles closer to the Solomons.

I won’t elaborate on the malaria problems in the New Hebrides prior to Operation WATCHTOWER.

Land Forces:
The 1st US Marine Division were untried volunteers, having to make do with World War One vintage equipment, having insufficient medical backup, communications and logistics to cope adequately with the harsh campaign.

The advance echelon of the 1st US Marine Division had arrived at Wellington, New Zealand on June 14, and the rear echelon was at sea and would land on July 11. The Division was under strength by about one third because of the detachment of the reinforced 7th Marines to Samoa.

Once firmly established ashore, Marine opinion held, the landing force commander should command his own land operation. The Navy eventually saw the point and agreed with this.

Major General Alexander A Vandegrift, USMC was granted an extension on the landing from August 1, 1942 to August 7, 1942.

Due to bad weather which caused some of the cardboard boxes to rot that contained food and uniforms.

And the dockworkers strike at New Zealand's Aotoa Quay, a confined area that could only take five ships at a time.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 12/29/2011 3:39:37 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2454
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 6:46:53 AM   
warspite1

Yes but.......

The question still remains to be answered

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2455
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 2:49:20 PM   
ItBurns

quote:

You're not being tricky with the language are you? I note the difference between the Solomon Islands and Solomons Island, the latter is an island in the US (in the Chesapeake I believe) and could potentially have been used as a training ground.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2456
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 6:46:19 PM   
warspite1

Yes, yes I was

The Marines used Solomons Island in Maryland to practice amphibious landings, the first of which was in the Solomon Islands.

Life is strange sometimes isn't it?

Well done

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2457
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 8:44:23 PM   
Orm

quote:

Yes, yes I was

The Marines used Solomons Island in Maryland to practice amphibious landings, the first of which was in the Solomon Islands.

Life is strange sometimes isn't it?

Well done

That was good, fun, question.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2458
RE: Next quiz - 12/29/2011 8:45:04 PM   
Orm

I am looking for a weapon used during WWII.

1) During WWII it was used by many different nations. Among those countries you find both Japan and Germany.
2) Versions of this weapon are still in use today.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2459
RE: Next quiz - 12/30/2011 12:58:38 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am looking for a weapon used during WWII.

1) During WWII it was used by many different nations. Among those countries you find both Japan and Germany.
2) Versions of this weapon are still in use today.

3) US decided to get this gun 1940 and begun production illegally and later on got licence to produce the gun. US made around 60,000 of this gun during the war.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2460
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI