Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Before teleprompters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/27/2011 6:34:41 AM   
sprior

They're just jealous, you can ignore them.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6001
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/29/2011 12:03:30 AM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

They're just jealous, you can ignore them.

Quite right, we are jealous of your unmatched strategic position.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6002
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 1:39:33 AM   
sprior

We are coming up with a new plan. And we're not telling you waht is it because you all either:
a. mock
b. deride
c. laugh or
d. all of the above

at it.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 6003
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 3:17:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********HQ, Kandy House, Ceylon, Nov. 10, 1942***********

<Teletype springs to life>

Clack, Clackety, Clack, Clack (well, I know it sounds more like a train but you think of of better way of indicating a teletype machine)

"SET DECODER RING TO I-7. REPEAT I-7. MESSAGE FOLLOWS.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Blessent mon cœur d'une langeur monotone

Blessent mon cœur d'une langeur monotone"

Teletype Operator 1st Class Reginald "Sparks" Throckmorton: Oh, bloody 'ell! It's buggered again."

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6004
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 3:23:55 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Clack, Clackety, Clack, Clack (well, I know it sounds more like a train but you think of of better way of indicating a teletype machine)

BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Teletype Operator 1st Class Reginald "Sparks" Throckmorton: Oh, bloody 'ell! It's buggered again."

Fixed that for you.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 6005
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 3:27:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****************Nov. 10*****************

Oz: Yamato is still hovering about PH. Today she was hit by two 500 lbr.s from B-25's out of Carnavon. They apparently bounced of Imperiar Force Shield MkIIc(m&m). I have no idea what the LYB CEO's are doing. Perhaps she is there to keep us from reinforcing or resupplying or...more likely....to bait us into moving the carriers up. The ground attack missions from Meekathara and Geraldton seemed to have been scrubbed.

Off Fraser Is. in Eastern Oz, a Jap sub was finally hit by an ASW group. We had atacked the thing daily for a week. It was beginning to seem like it was a big decal on the reef.

SouPac: Tanna landing should be one day out. So far, no Jap air but we must be spotted now.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6006
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 3:30:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Fixed that for you.

DANG! That was fast.

There is, of course, another cinema reference.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6007
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 4:16:01 PM   
sprior

Yes but we thought that too obvious.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 6008
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 4:25:27 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

We are coming up with a new plan. And we're not telling you waht is it because you all either:
a. mock
b. deride
c. laugh or
d. all of the above

at it.

I for one am very interested in your plan as I am in the same boat ready to move forces to take Daily Waters. It looks like I am getting 500 supplies per week to Tennant Creek at this point ..and I promise not to mock, deride, laugh or all of the above ...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6009
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/30/2011 5:56:12 PM   
sprior

The basic notion is this:

They are committed in a big way with 3 1/2 divisions plus support ashore and no practical way to achieve air superiority there. Their last attack at 1:2 when they were fresh will not be achieved again. Even so, we would a substantially larger force to evict them. Their carrier force is still a serious threat if we try to land troops again.

I propose we bomb the living Hell out of the airfield and port to get supply hits and make resupply more difficult AND continue with the air to ground attacks on their troops there. In conjunction, we make noise as if we are coming right back to pin their BB's and CV's. We can build up Exmouth so that SBD's and Beauforts can reach PH. We continue the same pattern of suppressing Broome to make it look like we are ready to come back again.

We make noise with bomb raids South of Darwin and move up 18th Div toward Katherine to draw Jap infantry south.

We then try to close the vice from the East either by taking Sorong or even Darwin itself. Merauke will be level 5 in a short while. A landing at Darwin would, of course, require the carriers.

The notion needs some fleshing out, of course. :-)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6010
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/31/2011 4:33:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Yes but we thought that too obvious.

Ah, yes. I forgot about the massive throbbing cerebrum effect around here.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6011
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/31/2011 4:48:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****************November 11, 1942(c)*******************

Oz: Good flying weather. Highly successful airfield, port and tac air attacks at PH with nearly 500 casualties. One small B-25 attack on a Jap cruiser near PH fails to get any hits. Nells went after some Aussie support troops making their way to Daly. Jap carriers unspotted for some time now.

SouPac: Landings at Tanna start at dawn and go pretty well. No Jap opposition other than some indolent fire from 2nd Indpt SNLF Coy and I/66th Naval Guard Unit. Apparently most of them have converted to the McGoo cargo cult which has a strong pacifist philosophy. No LYB air attacks either. Either we were unspotted or the LYB CEO's have decided this is a diversion of little military significance (which it is).

Post #: 6012
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/31/2011 6:03:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The basic notion is this:

They are committed in a big way with 3 1/2 divisions plus support ashore and no practical way to achieve air superiority there. Their last attack at 1:2 when they were fresh will not be achieved again. Even so, we would a substantially larger force to evict them. Their carrier force is still a serious threat if we try to land troops again.

I propose we bomb the living Hell out of the airfield and port to get supply hits and make resupply more difficult AND continue with the air to ground attacks on their troops there. In conjunction, we make noise as if we are coming right back to pin their BB's and CV's. We can build up Exmouth so that SBD's and Beauforts can reach PH. We continue the same pattern of suppressing Broome to make it look like we are ready to come back again.

We make noise with bomb raids South of Darwin and move up 18th Div toward Katherine to draw Jap infantry south.

We then try to close the vice from the East either by taking Sorong or even Darwin itself. Merauke will be level 5 in a short while. A landing at Darwin would, of course, require the carriers.

The notion needs some fleshing out, of course. :-)

So...

1. Bomb 'em.
2. Bomb 'em.
3. Bomb 'em some more.

Is the basic formula?

(Strokes Chin)...yes...very clever. Awfully complex for an English battle plan, idn't it? They'll never see it coming...

ETA: Please note that the preceding was not ridiculing, defiling, making light of or glib in any way. Alright, maybe a bit.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6013
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/31/2011 6:13:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Well it is only November 42 and it is Scenario 2. What do you propose we do, invade Hokkaido?

The B-24 and B-17 are our chief offensive weapons. We do need to be careful with our carriers as we are down to 3 CV's.

Wait until we start dropping paras all over the place...THEN you will be sorry you said anything.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6014
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/1/2012 2:25:54 PM   
BrucePowers

Happy New to all in this universe (is it WWII(c) or (d) or whatever)

Post #: 6015
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/1/2012 5:02:52 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

we are down to 3 CV's.

Thats not all that bad from where I stand.

Post #: 6016
O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 6:42:07 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"Fleshing out" a plan.

SouthPac has 3 USMC regiment, a USMC combat engineer bn, some arty and an I Amphib HQ with decent prep for Darwin. 6th Regt is somewhat understrength from the fighting on New Scotland, but the other two regiments are hot-shot. In retrospect, I should have prepped the units assigned to I Amphib Corps...but eh. About 8K LYB's at Darwin adn 24K at Katherine. Darwin appears to have been substanitally weakened.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6017
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 6:56:06 PM   
sprior

We also still have 6th and 7th Australian Divs sat at Perth.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 6018
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 7:03:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Situation near Darwin. As you can see there are several LYB airfields of concern. Katherine may not have ground support personel. Koepang is within range (21) of B-24's with reduced bomb loads from Tenant Creek but we couldnt do sustained heavy bomber attacks from there. Ambon is within range (20) for B-24's from Merauke which will be level 5 in a day or two. It would also be hard to hide a big force approaching through the Torres Strait.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6019
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 7:07:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

We also still have 6th and 7th Australian Divs sat at Perth.

Yes. Even if they aren't prepped, the equivalent of 3 divsions should be a potent force. If we got ashore fast and took the town then we could resist a counterattack coming up the road that would be sure to follow.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6020
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 7:37:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Just thinking about how to hide the transports for 3 divisions and support. There is no practical way, of course. At best they would be spotted passing through the Torres Strait and there is a good chance they will be spotted leaving their embarkation ports (Sydney, Brisbane or even Townsville. Until they turn NW, they might appear to be a force for Port Moresby. We could reinforce this with recon and bombing activity on PM. We could also begin to recon Ambon so they might appear to be a landing force for Ambon until they turn West in the Arafua.

Of interest is the appearance of 2 newLYB subs near Brisbane. They, of course, can see the buildup at Merauke and Horn Is. and can put 2 and 2 together.

Post #: 6021
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/1/2012 9:21:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Admiral Lord Sprior;
CIC Brown Army Men
Kandy House, Ceylon

My Dearest Spri;

Your suggestion to add Australian I Corps to the Darwin landing is splendid. Please start preparation for the two divisions, sappers and the Corps HQ if it should be lying about somewhere. Also, please bring a salad dish of some sort and forks and knives for about 50,000.

With much insincere sincerity;

Admiral of the Fleet Mandrake
CIC, Green Army men

Post #: 6022
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 1:02:58 AM   
witpqs

Cap, Sprior,

I'm thinking about starting off the new year right and taking out some advertising for my two current AARs (found at the links below). What are your full page rates?

Rumble in the Southwest witpqs (A) vs Andav (J) {No Andav or vicberg}

Eyebrow on the Money witpqs (A) vs vicberg (J) {No vicberg or Andav}

Post #: 6023
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 4:55:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

That would be a 400 troy oz bar of Philippino gold in 1942. Not sure what that would be today.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6024
RE: O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E - 1/2/2012 7:10:51 AM   
Itdepends

Interesting to note that dot base hex between Darwin and Katherine has no forces present- or have you not reconned it?

Do you have enough bombers to suppress Darwin and Katherine while landing and building up Gove/Groyte Eylandt/Wessels Island? Once you've got air superiority over Darwin he'll have the same problem keeping his troops supplie as you would have in the early war.

RE Port Headland- you know you can march armoured units across the desert from Meekatharra to PH in about a week and a half? Less ships for loose lips to sink and there's a lot of restricted Aussie armour that would be just itching to take the fight to Johnny jap. Just avoid the rough desert (like to the east of PH)- it's as slow as buggery to drive a tank through (think Top Gear takes a toyota to the north pole, but warmer.........considerably warmer.)

Post #: 6025
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 1:09:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Bali Hai Dance Club, Perth November 12, 1942*********

Old Prospector at the bar: ....ah, yes, Meekathara. been there many times, mate. Used to take me old Jeep down there several times a year from me claim near Corunna.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Do you mean you DROVE from Corunna to to Meekathara?

Old Prospector at the bar: Yes, mate. Drove.

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: Could you find the route again?

Old Prospector at the bar: Know it like the back of me hand, mate. <he turns his wrist to reveal the back of his hand and simultaneously dumps his Darwin Antipersonnel Bomb onto his lap> OH BUGGA'!

Young Man in Fine Linen Slacks: <smiling> Idi, give this man another drink!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6026
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 1:39:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********BMTHofDGandTMofAAT Editorial Board Steering Committee Meeting, Jan. 2, 2012(a)***********

Counsel (of the firm DC&H, LLP): ...look, one can't simply appropriate the life story of <looks at notes> "Itdepends" like that. He can come after us.

Contributor: But we changed the name.

Counsel (of the firm DC&H, LLP): This is NOT your 5th grade mission project. If a "reasonable man" <makes air quotes> would conclude that the story is that of the claimant, then we will get creamed. It matters not if you change the name or time frame a bit. And then he spills a drink on himself? Are you ASKING that we be named?

Contributor: A "bit"? It's over 60 years ago.

Counsel (of the firm DC&H, LLP): <whispered aside to the Chiarperson> This guy is a ******* idiot and a liability. You would be well advised to get rid of him..........

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/2/2012 1:41:02 PM >

Post #: 6027
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 1:50:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

.....Re. Fenton (AKA "dot hex"). We have not reconned lately. Also, after looking at it, I am not sure there are only 8K troops at Darwin despite presence of 7 units. We do have two commando coy at Alice and Kanga Force on its way. They would have to deploy to Tennant first, I believe, and then could be dropped on Fenton.

.....Re. Gove. Yes, we could probably degrade air activity at Katehrine and Darwin long enough to get troops in there but if the Jap carriers showed up it could go badly. Gove is within SBD range from Darwin, so it would be a very valuable base. We are accumulating fast transports at Horn Is. We can probably get a small engineering force in there (to Gove) safely.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/2/2012 2:07:07 PM >

Post #: 6028
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 2:06:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Nov. 12, 1942(c)************

Oz: JJ sent in a night bombardment force to Exmouth. This time we were ready for them. The transport pulled back toward Carnavon an a combined Allied crusier force was waiting.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Exmouth at 50,129, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 9, heavy fires
CL Yubari, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Akikaze, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Suruyame, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Canberra
CL Boise
CL Honolulu
DD Caldwell
DD Sims, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Dale
DD Banckert

Reduced sighting due to 10% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 10% moonlight: 9,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
Sawa, Masao crosses the 'T'

That was a serious "ass-hander", as in, "Masao got his ass handed to him". I don't think Kinugasa will be bothering us for a while.

PH is just getting pounded by air as the Allied air crews get better (and Mr. Honda setting up the smoke markers has helped today).

Tanna: Naval forces appear to have made an escape with no losses. The bulk of 182nd Inf Reg and half of the USMC Reg plus about 30 tanks made it ashore in one day. Not bad with just xAP's and AK's and no landing craft. We are short on support troops, but I think the LYB's may crack easily. A couple more days of bombing runs from Fiji and then the boys will attack.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/2/2012 2:23:41 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6029
RE: Before teleprompters - 1/2/2012 2:15:04 PM   
BrucePowers

You're up early Capt Mandrake.

Post #: 6030
Page:   <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI