Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Official Website up, featuring early screenshots ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Official Website up, featuring early screenshots ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Official Website up, featuring early screenshots ... - 8/30/2002 7:27:03 PM   
Marc von Martial

Hi guys,

the official "Flahpoint Germany" website is now up und running:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/FlashPointGermany

It features some very early alpha screenshots giving you a clue of some of the features. We´ll update these shots once we included the new UI and in game graphics.

Post #: 1
- 8/30/2002 8:36:21 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

Outsanding mate. Love the whole look of the site. Also love the button to send an email to a friend.. :D [IMG]http://www.egri.co.uk/smileys/bluebiggrin.gif[/IMG]

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 2
- 8/31/2002 4:16:36 AM   
Paul Wykes

The early screen shots are looking good.

This is certainly wetting my appetite. Looking forward to this loads!

Post #: 3
- 8/31/2002 7:41:36 PM   
Blackhorse

I'm delighted that you opted to use the 11th ACR as the "poster child" for the screen shots.

A 'chrome' issue: as this game is going to feature company-level units, I hope they will be identified by letters ( "A", "B" etc.) where it was the common practice -- as in the U.S. Army. The screen shots use numbers, I noticed.

A "regimental" armored cavalry squadron such as the 1/11th depicted in the screen shots has the most complicated company-level organization in the US Army:

three cavalry "troops" (A, B, and C/1/11)
one tank "company" (D/1/11)
one artillery "battery" (How or Arty/1/11)
one headquarters "troop" (HQ/1/11)

The screen shots refer to a tank "troop." Horrors!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 4
- 9/1/2002 3:56:43 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blackhorse
[B]I'm delighted that you opted to use the 11th ACR as the "poster child" for the screen shots.

A 'chrome' issue:
Horrors! [/B][/QUOTE]

I just knew it! This was not so much a proper scenario as a bunch of stuff I threw together before presenting the game for the first real time to David Heath at Origins on July 4th. The purpose was to illustrate the possibilities and not to impress with my knowledge of military nomenclature. The text was just whatever came out of my head at at 1 a.m. that particular night. Even though I look at it constantly now, I just don't "see" it anymore and never fixed it up properly.

I am fascinated by the modern cavalry regiment organization and would readily agree to the complexity point. That's what makes it so neat. I will fix the nomenclature instantly since for some reason that still seems to be me stock 'scenario 1' that I just keep running time after time all day long, and I'll try to be a little more careful in the future.

Cheers, Rob.

Many thanks for the correction!

Post #: 5
- 9/1/2002 4:08:40 AM   
IronManBeta

Oh, and what is the designation of the attached helicopter unit? The cavalry regiment had three cavalry squadrons (as you just described) with a mixture of Abrams and Devers, and one combat aviation squadron with a total of 32 OH-58, 26 Apache and 25 UH-60 - or at least it did at one point.

I assumed that the helicopters would be cross attached to support the ground units but I never really knew that for a fact. How were they described and used?

Cheers, Rob.

Post #: 6
I REALLY like this one! - 9/1/2002 4:24:06 AM   
Fabio Prado

This one is REALLY interesting!:cool:
Are you guys accepting pre-orders for it yet? ;)

Fab

Post #: 7
Yes - 9/1/2002 4:51:28 AM   
Black Cat

I really like the screenshots, and the look of the interface.

Nice, simple, and workable.

Post #: 8
Re: Yes - 9/1/2002 6:35:31 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black Cat
[B]I really like the screenshots, and the look of the interface.

Nice, simple, and workable. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ooooh, I like that kind of talk!

Seriously, designing interfaces is what I do for a day job that sets my company apart. It's easy to create a lousy interface, but very, very difficult to create a truly good one. Having an incredibly picky partner in my formative years was the best thing that ever happened to me. I've had my share of failures, but I try to learn from each one. The nice thing about doing this game was I could start from a completely clean sheet. That doesn't happen very often and I jumped on the opportunity with both feet.

I actually created just the interface for FPG at first. Only when that got approval was it worth actually filling in the 'game parts' behind the interface. Totally backwards? Well, in terms of minimizing development risk in a real world software project, not at all. Going to all the work of producing a game with an interface that comes up short in significant ways is a guaranteed route to oblivion.

Having said all that, I should also add that the interface is not finalized yet and might yet change quite a bit. The art you've seen so far is all placeholder art and signficant changes are in store yet. This is/was the preliminary 'proof of concept' version graphics. Now that it is rolling along, the redoubtable Marc S will turn his hand to the final graphic treatment and the voltage will be turned up that much more. He just finished the web site and I really hope that same look and feel makes it into the final version skins for the game.

Thanks again, Rob.

Post #: 9
A Man On A Mission! - 9/1/2002 7:24:05 AM   
David Heath

Guys

Let me jump in here and say that Robert been working very hard on this design and we a very happy to have him on the job. The real winners will be you the gamers...... Go Robert!

David

Post #: 10
- 9/1/2002 8:51:22 AM   
Blackhorse

We gamers have also been impressed with Rob's talent, energy and inclusiveness. Go, Rob, Go! (Or, as we Blackhorse types would say -- Allons, Rob, Allons!)

The composition of the Regimental Aviation Squadron in 1989 was a lot different from when I served. By-the-book, here is how it should be organized:

"The Regimental Aviation Squadron (RAS) is the organic aviation unit in an armored cavalry regiment. Features two attack helicopter troops, three air reconnaissance troops, and an assault helicopter troop with 15 UH-60s. Has a HQs troop and a unit maintenance company. A total of 72 aircraft are assigned."

For a real-life example, here is how the 3rd ACR ("Brave Rifles") organized and designated their Aviation Squadron from 1985-90. The 11th ACR was probably similar, but I don't have detailed information for that period.

"The Regimental Support Aviation Troop (RSAT) and the Air Cavalry Troop (ACT) were combined in December 1985 to form the 3d Combat Aviation Squadron (Provisional). The Squadron was officially activated as the 4th Squadron, 3d ACR in October 1988. It consisted of Headquarters and Headquarters Troop (HHT), three Air Cavalry Troops (N, O, P), two Attack Troops (Q and R), an Assault Troop (S), and an Aviation Maintenance Troop (T). Within these organizations, the Squadron was equipped with the AH-1 Cobra Attack Helicopter, the OH-58A/C Kiowa Helicopter, the UH-60 Blackhawk Helicopter, and the EH-60 Quickfix Electronic Warfare Helicopter."

The two attack troops would be equipped with Cobras or Apaches and some Kiowa scouts. These were the "tank killers"

The three air cavalry troops were for reconnaisance and scouting. They'd have Kiowas and some Blackhawks. I don't remember if they had any organic attack choppers. They could put scouts on the ground.

The assault troop would have the Regiment's only light infantry, to be carried by Blackhawks.

Aviation assets were controlled at the Regimental level. Within the ground squadrons the only air control assets were the artillery forward observers assigned to each troop / company / battery and generally one staff officer at squadron (the assistant S-3(Air)) responsible to coordinate air and ground operations with a single forward air controller. It is unlikely that aviation assets would be parcelled out or permanently detailed to support a particular squadron. Helicopters require *a lot* of maintenance, logistics support, and air traffic control, which the squadrons were not equipped or trained to provide, IMHO.

Tactically, Regiment would be likely to commit "sections" of 2-4 aircraft (a mix of Kiowas and Apaches) to each attack mission.

I hope this is helpful . . . are there any air cav types reading this that can offer a more detailed answer?

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Post #: 11
- 9/1/2002 9:44:26 AM   
Blackhorse

Here's two views of how the helicopter assets in the Regimental Aviation Squadron might have been deployed:

1. The 2 ACR organization prior to Desert Storm: "At regimental level there was a 4th Aviation Squadron that included 3 air cavalry troops of 6 observation helicopters and 4 attack helicopters, usually OH-58 and AH-1’s. There were 2 Attack troops of 6 AH’s and 5 OH’s each. "

2. Per the (circa 1996) TO&E. The Regimental Aviation Squadron had a Headquarters Troop ( 3 EH-60s); An Assault Troop (13 UH-60s); Three Air Reconnaissance Troops (8 OH-58Ds); and two Attack *companies* (8 AH-64s).

Similarities: Both of these organizations, and the 3rd ACRs, contain 3 Air Cavalry (or Air Reconnaissance) troops, and 2 Attack troops.

Differences: 1. The 2nd ACR organization did *not* include an Assault Troop. The 3rd ACR and the TO&E do have an Assault troop. 2. The 2nd ACR organization "mixed" helicopter types within a troop; the standard TO&E did not. 3. Both the 2nd ACR and 3rd ACR organizations refer to Attack "troops"; the TO&E calls the same units Attack "companies." Along the same lines, the "Air Cavalry Troop" of the 2nd ACR has been renamed "Air Reconnaissance Troop" in the later TO&E.

Obviously, this period was a time of transition, and it is possible that all three ACRs (2,3,11) had different aviation TO&Es in the late 1980s.

Until you can get some actual data, my best guess is that the 11th ACR in 1989 was organized along the lines of the 2nd ACR: A 4th (Regimental Aviation) Squadron consisting of three Air Cavalry Troops (each with 6 OH58s and 4 AHs) and two Attack Troops (each with 5 OH58s and 6 AHs).

Good Luck!

Post #: 12
- 9/1/2002 8:20:53 PM   
IronManBeta

I'm glad I asked then. Thanks for the very detailed description.

I had been under the impression that the job of the helos was to loiter in the vicinity of the ground troops as much as possible so as to be on call when needed and even to hold stretches of the front for short periods while the troops on the ground arrived and got into position. That is not impossible, of course, from what you describe, but what it really sounds like now is that they were brought forward only as needed in the form of 'helo strikes' when there was an actual specific mission to be performed. No loitering for hours on end just in case something came up!

I'm glad because the original SimCan design treated them primarily as another kind of offmap asset that could be called in for strikes as needed - comparable in the mechanics to air strikes. I had thought this too limited a role, and wanted them more or less always on map as another unit to be juggled in the mix. Turns out it was another validation for the original game design! (Why did I ever doubt it? Why can't I just accept what I'm told and get on with it????)

I have a big interest in the possibilities of 'rotor warfare' and this is one of the great distinguishing features between modern times and WW2. If anyone has read the work of Richard Simpkin (_Race to the Swift_) from the mid 80s you will have had your head filled with all kinds of tantalizing ideas. The Soviets apparently took this stuff very seriously and it is a shame that none of their theory seems to have made it into English yet - at least not where I could find it. According to Simpkin, they regarded the transition to rotors to be as fundamental a transition as the one to tracks way back when.

Allons, back to programming, Rob.

Post #: 13
- 9/2/2002 6:52:58 AM   
Blackhorse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobertCrandall
[B] . . . the original SimCan design treated them primarily as another kind of offmap asset that could be called in for strikes as needed - comparable in the mechanics to air strikes. I had thought this too limited a role, and wanted them more or less always on map as another unit to be juggled in the mix. Turns out it was another validation for the original game design! (Why did I ever doubt it? Why can't I just accept what I'm told and get on with it????) [/B][/QUOTE]

Because the passage of time adds perspective. From where I'm sitting, you are asking the right questions. Electronic Warfare, Helicopters, and the all-around increased lethality of weapons would be the major factors making a conventional WWIII different from WW-deuce. If you can't find a way to make them important, then FlashPoint Germany will play like so many other WWIII games -- World War II with neat new equipment -- and you'll miss the 'flavor' of modern combat.

The scouting chopper assets should be able to have at least a semi-permanent role. I remember a rule a rule of thumb for fix-wing aircraft; it takes 3 operational planes to keep one permanently on station. If this rule applies to helicopters as well, each air cav (reconnaissance) troop could have 1/3 of its assets permanently "on station" as an on-map unit. Since the air cav units were a mix of Cobras and Kiowas -- even these aerial scouts might be an effective anti-armor screen.

The attack helicopters troops might well be represented as air strikes . . . but unlike air force support these were dedicated assets that were controlled by the local commander, could loiter on target, and rapidly rearm, refuel, return and reengage the enemy. Tactically, when we had the time, we'd try to get the helicopter pilot to "drop down" onto the radio frequency of the platoon leader or troop commander he was supporting to better coordinate support. This was not possible with Air Force fixed wing support (at least in the mid-80s) due to incompatible radios, the uncertainty of when assets would be available, and the short time that "fast movers" could remain on station. Having said that, let me add that an A-10 Warthog overhead was a beautiful sight for any (American) tanker.

Post #: 14
- 9/2/2002 10:06:26 AM   
byron13

[B]

The attack helicopters troops might well be represented as air strikes . . . but unlike air force support these were dedicated assets that were controlled by the local commander, could loiter on target, and rapidly rearm, refuel, return and reengage the enemy. Tactically, when we had the time, we'd try to get the helicopter pilot to "drop down" onto the radio frequency of the platoon leader or troop commander he was supporting to better coordinate support. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll vouch for this. Robert, if you're suggesting that air support, whether fixed or rotary wing, did not launch until a target appeared, this would be wrong. By the time the aircraft launched and transited to the target, the target would likely be gone. I'm not too familiar with fixed wing operations, but I understood that they would be dedicated to a certain level of unit, e.g., brigade or division and would run a race track pattern until a target appeared. As Blackhorse says, the rotary wing assets were the assets of the division/regiment and could be assigned to general support for the division/regiment or dedicated support to a lower level unit. If there was contact, the helicopters would launch and then announce their presence to the unit being supported and they would be directed from there.

Also as Blackhorse says, the helicopters could drop down to the frequency of a relatively low level unit to coordinate. I was on an exercise against the Germans and was pleasantly surprised to be called on the radio and told that there were a pair of Snakes available if I wanted them. Not wishing to turn down this polite offer, I said, "Sure!" Within a minute, I was contacted by one of the pilots with that odd, whiny, helium-like voice that helicopter radios produce. IIRC they told me where they were or from what direction they were coming, and I directed them to onto the target. Of course, we'd already shot the Leos and Marders full of holes, but what they hey . . . I don't recall the Op Order detailing any assets to my company; I'm guessing that our battalion may have had a couple of Snakes as dedicated support, and our spot report on the enemy resulted in our battalion FSO instructing the Snakes to contact us.

[B]
Having said that, let me add that an A-10 Warthog overhead was a beautiful sight for any (American) tanker. [/B][/QUOTE]

Except when they're practicing on you. On that same exercise, we were on an administrative hold and lined up along a road. A couple of minutes later, two A-10s did a pop and roll maneuver on us and one of them clearly had me in his sights for his 30mm. That was a particularly unnerving sight as I knew I would have been dead, and I had no real countermeasures. Funny, I don't remember being on the Red team. I guess maybe they were supporting the Germans. Or maybe it was like Henion's cartoon with the Cobra passing over a bunch of burning tanks and the gunner is paging through his AFV ID booklet and says "Oops!"

Soon after that an RF-4 blew by at about 500 feet. Some weeks later, the 38th Tactical Recon Squadron sent us some 8 X 10s taken by the recon craft. There I am picking my nose with four M-113s behind me and the RF-4's shadow right next to my tank. The picture also provided an eight digit grid coordinate. Needless to say, that picture found its way into my private collection.

Post #: 15
- 9/2/2002 10:26:01 AM   
byron13

In game terms, you could either do it like they do in Fulda with fixed wing being abstract and the helicopters represented by units on the map or you could have both be abstract. I think the former is better because, as in the Fulda game, helicopters could be ambushed if they choose the wrong route. Plus, helicopters were essentially just very fast moving TOW launchers that could be directed by the ground commander. I don't know how you handle fixed wing assets. It doesn't make sense to have you plot the route of ingress and egress (since the ground commander would not normally do that) but, on the other hand, the presence of ZSUs or short range SAMs along the flight path could ruin their day. Thus, determining the flight path could be important. Or you could just have a general air defence level number for each side that would determine the odds that a fast mover was intercepted or maybe missed his target due to the AA threat.

One option for both is to not have have air support available at the beginning of the game. Instead, they would become available on turn 3 or, more realistically, within a certain time after initial contact. I think there should also be a chance of friendly fire losses to fast movers - especially for non-A10s and when the enemy is fairly close. They are flying so fast and have so little time to orient that I'm not convinced they wouldn't plant their load on the wrong tanks. They may have something today that would prevent that, but back then I think it was a real risk.

Post #: 16
- 9/2/2002 11:37:42 AM   
byron13

[B]
three cavalry "troops" (A, B, and C/1/11)
one tank "company" (D/1/11)
one artillery "battery" (How or Arty/1/11)
one headquarters "troop" (HQ/1/11)

The screen shots refer to a tank "troop." Horrors! [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, I didn't know they referred to the tank company as a tank company. So each squadron has three line troops and a company? You Cav guys - sheesh!

Blackhorse mentioned getting the flavor of the lethality of modern combat. This would be important, but I don't know what effect it might have on the game. Robert, you say you've played HPS' Fulda '85. That game seriously under represents the lethality of modern war. Each turn is three hours, and it pisses me off to no end when I have a company of tanks shooting at an enemy tank battalion in the open from 1 km away and all I get is 3 or 4 kills in that time. I guess you can write it off to representing the lead platoon getting knocked off and the rest of the battalion not advancing to contact. But I don't think that is really what is happening because that same battalion can assault you with virtually no losses. It may also be a game balancing feature since, using the loss rates I could foresee, both armies could be virtually decimated in the first day or two, leaving the gamer with nothing left to play with.

Blackhorse can provide additional comment, but any company-sized WP unit or larger was going to take some serious losses upon contact. Let's assume you've got a company of tanks (funny how tanks seem to be at the center of the universe, huh?) with maybe two platoons oriented on a kill zone, e.g., a major road running through the middle of a wide open area with woods on either flank. There weren't too many places in the Seventh Army AO where you couldn't start an engagement in turret down - these aren't the North German Plains, after all. Our tactics called for WP recon elements to pass through unscathed (let the cooks and mechanics deal with them). For an extreme example, next comes a battalion of BMPs or BTRs with maybe two companies line abreast and the third following. La-la-la, what a nice day for a drive in the country. The platoons give their fire commands from turret down positions and then move to hull down to start firing. Before the bad guys even know they're there, eight rounds are fired essentially simultaneously from both forward flanks. All eight could easily hit, but let's say six do and, because of the target type, they're definite kills. Within about five to seven seconds, another eight rounds are on their way. Due to drastic evasion or possibly doubling up on targets, let's say only four hit. That's ten kills from eight tanks in less than ten seconds.

According to doctrine, the tanks are then supposed to pull back down to turret defilade and move laterally a ways so that the enemy can't zero in on your position. Within twenty or thirty seconds, the tanks are ready to fire again and send another sixteen rounds down range for another ten kills. The enemy is still some 1500 meters away, and they've suffered twenty vehicle kills. Even if they dumped their passengers after the first two volleys, the first ten kills would have killed the passengers. So that's twenty vehicles and ten infantry squads and possibly more. That's basically the two lead companies completely destroyed in a matter of a minute. From that range, none of the ATGMs could have reached their target in the roughly ten seconds the tanks exposed the top half of their turrets, so no losses among the good guys. I don't think this is an unrealistic scenario at all.

It may have been different against a tank battalion. I'm not sure what kind of armor the T80 has, but it is reported to have some kind of composite armor to reduce the effect of sabot and HEAT rounds. And, if the good guys are still using the 105mm, you might have some problems penetrating. But the hit rate would still be the same, even if the kill rate was reduced. If the tanks keep bearing down on you, they just get easier to kill. If they jink wildly to make themselves harder to hit, they spend that much more time in the kill zone and make their own shooting less accurate - even with stabilization. I've also got to question whether the WP - especially non-Soviet units - would have properly synchronized and bore sighted weapons, which are a must for long-range engagements. If you started with 1800 meter shots, they would have to close 500 meters before the good guys might break contact to move to their next position. In that 500 meters, each good guy should be able to shoot four to six rounds. If the good guys were not intending to withdraw and were going to hold the position instead, then it gets even bloodier.

This would change somewhat if there were no turret down positions available, e.g., you're shooting from a woodline on flat terrain. That would be a riskier proposition since you can be seen easier and it is more difficult to disengage through the woods. Against stabilized tanks, the losses are going to be more even. But in this situation, neither side can really disengage, and they're forced to fight until most of one side or the other is dead.

Anyway, the axiom of "If you can be seen, you can be hit. If you can be hit, you can be killed" is accurate. U.S. and, presumably, all NATO tanks would have a very high hit rate of at least 50% on average. With the 120mm, this would result in either a total kill, fire kill, or mobility kill probably 80% of the time. Undertand that these numbers are coming completely out of my a--, but I don't think they're far off.

So how do you incorporate that in a game? A unit on the defense could vaporize twice its own number very quickly and without taking many losses of its own. The biggest risks for the good guys is becoming decisively engaged and overwhelmed at short range or getting shot in the butt as you're trying to move to the next battle position which, in the M60, was a very real possibility.

Blackhorse, am I far off?

Post #: 17
Good Stuff - 9/2/2002 12:29:55 PM   
Black Cat

Hope it helps with the Game.

I was USAF about 100 years ago so will just listen, however what always bothered me was that Warsaw Pact doctrine seemed based upon the willingness to take huge losses to quickly break through the first ( and maybe only ? ) line.

As an aside many years ago a German friend who fought on the Russian Front in a MG Company talked for the first time about it ( after a few brews )

I`ll paraphase here: I asked him:" Karl, you guys had excellent equipment, were brave as hell, had outstanding doctrine and leadership from NCO on up, they had almost none of that, what the F*** happened ?

He simply said; " Der was too many of them, and not enough of us.."

Modeling that in the Game should be interesting.

Very sorry to go so far off topic, HPS Fuda Gap is coming and I`ll check out your views, I don`t doubt it is as you say, being based on their WW II games.

Post #: 18
- 9/3/2002 3:26:08 AM   
Blackhorse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by byron13
[B] Blackhorse, am I far off? [/B][/QUOTE]

Target!, cease fire.

Seriously, I think you are exactly right about the lethality of modern combat.

I can easily envision early-war engagements along the lines that Byron13 described . . . since no army can sustain losses at that rate, after a few days attacking units might well sacrifice mobility for increased survivability: armor would follow behind dismounted infantry scouts until a contact was developed; then artillery would blanket the suspected defending position with high-explosives and smoke. The armor would roll forward only after the defenders' ability to acquire and engage targets has been degraded.

(The Israelis taught us that the combat effectiveness of their tank crews was greatly reduced when tank commanders had to button up. Generated smoke and battlefield obscuration from artillery and direct fire will also make it harder to track and hit targets. Enough fog/dust/smoke makes it impossible to use the laser range-finder, and if the obscuration is thick enough, even a thermal sight can't see anything until they get within a few hundred meters.)

Btw, I tripped over Sabre21s excellent NATO '89 Orbat last night. The 11th ACRs aviation was called the 4th Squadron and was structured the same as the 2nd ACRs, equipped with AH1F Cobras -- no Apaches yet, alas -- and OH-58C Kiowas.

Post #: 19
- 9/3/2002 3:47:38 AM   
U2

Hi

Been away for two weeks so seeing the new website up and running today was great. Looks good!

Dan

Post #: 20
- 9/30/2002 4:07:30 PM   
crandall9000

Hello All,

The username at the left might be confused for Rob Crandall so a quick qualification is in order: I'm Peter, Rob's brother. I've been looking forward to the next edition of Rob's work for some time and, being an avid gamer, am really looking forward to something with a modern theme that has an emphasis on payability.

I'm extremely impressed by the level of discussion in the threads. I can't hope to offer anything meaningful in the way of historical fact but would like to contribute feedback on playability issues.

To establish my manic game-playing credentials, it's worth noting that somewhere in the threads Rob mentioned he started out on an old Apple II+. I knew it well because I eventually bought that box and burned it out playing War in Russia. Then I borrowed Rob's Apple IIc and burned its monitor out (sorry Rob!), again, playing War in Russia. Many other favourite games have come and gone (usually because of O/S upgrades) but the craving for a good game lives on. So far everything I've read looks very promising. The screen shots look great! My two bits of early feedback are:

1. A selected unit is displayed in yellow. Is it possible to keep the original unit colour and indicate its selected status with some other visual cue (e.g. white box, embossed look, etc.)? Personally, I find the dramatic shift in colour a little confusing as it dissassociates the unit from the force it belongs to.

2. The two icons to the right of the nuke symbol (e.g. on the Orders Screen) are for hide terrain detail and stop time?

Cheers,

Peter

Post #: 21
- 9/30/2002 9:00:05 PM   
Paul Vebber

"Hide jump map" (the little map in the upper right hand corner) and "run the clock" - basically "I'm done giving orders lets rock and roll". Once both players have their orders in, the clock "ticks off" in 5 min increments for a 30 min turn.

I can only add my admiration for Robert's work - this game has a feel to it that , even at the pre beta stage, I think will be a real winner!

Post #: 22
- 10/1/2002 1:49:28 AM   
IronManBeta

Welcome Peter!

Now only were you a wiz at destroying hardware but you had an uncanny talent for breaking the software too! If there was a loophole anywhere in the game logic you could be counted on to find it and exploit it. The fond memories this brings back...

I used the lime yellow colour for the currently selected unit just so that it would be completely and totally unambiguous. I could indeed tone it down or maybe come up with another scheme such as you suggest and then let the player pick which one to use at game startup.

1. I could use a icon background colour other than lime yellow.
2. I could paint the foreground in a special colour rather than the background.
3. I could use a strongly tinted location cursor behind the unit to give it a halo effect
4. ? (what else can I try?)

I'll set it up this week and see how it looks. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Rob.

Post #: 23
- 10/21/2002 12:14:38 PM   
jrcar

Blackhorse and Byron are correct, the advantages of defence are many :)

However this is not the only outcome from the scenario posted...

Say for example those recon units that were let through the main position had noticed the defenders... (that is their job after all!) they may have also identified the defenders alternate and subsequent positions as well.

So just as the column comes beetling down the road arty fire starts landing on the armours positions, forcing them to relocate or suffer damage...

As they relocate the company of Hinds assigned to the Soviet advance guard pop over the hill catching those tanks in the middle of the relocation.

Now you have the advance guard closeing and mopping up the depth positions, including the cooks and bottle washers (whom the recon also picked up).

The Soviets have their first penetration of the line, and the Armies Operational Manouvre Group is directed to advance down that axis towards the Rhine....

Modern warfare is viscious, deadly and whole units can be wiped out in a few minutes, but please don't assume the enemy are idiots.

C4ISREW (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveilence and electronic warfare) significantly shapes the ensuing battle, if you know where the enemy is you can hit him, and as noted by Byron if you can hit them you can kill them, or manouvre around them :)

Think RED :)

Ex Intelligence Officer :) who loves to play RED.

Good Luck with the game

Post #: 24
- 11/10/2002 1:54:36 PM   
crandall9000

[QUOTE]"run the clock" - basically "I'm done giving orders lets rock and roll". Once both players have their orders in, the clock "ticks off" in 5 min increments for a 30 min turn. [/QUOTE]

Paul,

I noticed there is time and date information at the bottom of the screen. Was wondering if the clock icon could be replaced by a digital clock that would display the time as the 5 min increments elapse. Might be dimmed with a snoozing 'zzz' effect during the orders stage or an overlaying X (as it does currently).

Reason I am suggesting this is

a) The digital clock might be more readily identifiable as an icon suggesting control of time within the game (particularly in the 'stopped' mode, I found the current icon difficult at first glance to identify).

b) It would centralise the mechanism for controlling time with feedback as to what the time actually is. Would reduce the importance of looking around the screen for additional information.

I appreciate that designing icons is torturous and problematic at the best of times. Not sure my suggestion would look or work any better but thought I toss it out there.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Official Website up, featuring early screenshots ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI