Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Great Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Great Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/24/2011 1:33:33 AM   
Greyshaft

IMHO the Maginot line is too weak. I've tried it two or three times as the Germans in 1939 and each time the Panzers break open a 3-4 hex gap within two turns and after that it's all over for France.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 31
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/24/2011 2:50:25 AM   
Magpius

Somehow de-couple the eyecandies file from the scenario folder and make it mapskin related.
Might be tough to implement.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 32
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/25/2011 8:42:34 AM   
Greyshaft

Today is Christmas and this is a wishlist thread so I will ask for something nice and of limited practical value.

There is currently no way to create higher lever formations eg Army Group Center / Army Group South in Barbarossa and so it is extremely difficult to keep track of which units are tasked to specific strategic objectives eg were those TAC bombers assigned for the reduction of Leningrad or for the push on Moscow?

It would be great to be able to create these higher level formations and assign units to them. There would be no effect on game mechanics and a player could always choose to use Army Group North's bombers to assist in the assault on Moscow if they really wanted to, but for the player who enjoys forward planning there is something satisfying in knowing that you can always tell which assets are assigned to each objective. The game can then be played to a higher level by committing yourself to allocate reinforcement points equally to each Army Group during a campaign.

This is only a record keeping mechanism for the player and units should be visible through a key combination eg while CTRL-SHFT-F is pressed then Army Group Norths units turn green and Army Group Center's units turn purple and once you release the keys then they return to their normal color.

< Message edited by Greyshaft -- 12/25/2011 8:44:05 AM >

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 33
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/25/2011 2:34:01 PM   
Zovs

Why not take it a step further, go from Brigade, Division, Corps, Army?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 34
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/25/2011 2:53:12 PM   
Flaviusx

Would like to see a do over of the 1942 scenario. It is presently unplayable due to the weakness of the Red Army, which gets annihilated in a few turns. I had thought the AAR done for this was a runaway due to the settings. Not so. If you set the Soviets to very easy, and the Germans to hard the same result occurs: the whole line gets blown away. Not surprising considering that most of the infantry is at level one and understrength. And there's far too little of it -- there ought to be well over 400 divisional equivalents.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 35
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/25/2011 9:50:52 PM   
waichou

Supply should come from the BEST supply source than the closest, because it conduct to very strange situations (see my thread in Tech support)

A "sleep mode" option should also be usefull to avoid seeing every unit with Tab.

A minor problem too (for me), when Romania or Finland take territories, they have their own frontier, and when German join them the frontier there are many frontiers in same hexs (german, finland, soviet, etc.). Maybe an option to see only the Axis or Allied frontier should be added

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 36
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 12:35:02 AM   
Razz1

Use the function key for diplomatic view on the map.

That way you can tell or use the function key for the borders.

(in reply to waichou)
Post #: 37
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 11:36:55 AM   
waichou

I know, but it is not what I am talking about. I can only chose : no border, initial border for each country, and new borders (ie borders + frontline). I just wanted an option to have an Axis border only, including all Axis countries and the frontline. I don't mind about Finland or Romania gains, for me it is only Axis, I have to many borders superposing. Ex: Around Leningrad, Finland advanced through the North, Germany through the South, and when they met there are 3 frontlines (German + Finland + USSR), I wanted to have only 2. And it is confusing because sometimes a unit take hex his country and another time for German.
But it is not very important, I would prefer you corrige all the critical bugs rather than that...

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 38
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 3:36:57 PM   
Razz1

Then use the function key for diplomacy. You will have to zoom out. I pretty sure you will find what you like.

(in reply to waichou)
Post #: 39
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 6:15:19 PM   
Cad908

Doom,

Could you post a sticky with with items you have already fixed for the first patch?

I might be nice what is already fixed if a player runs into it again.

Thanks

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 40
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 10:46:04 PM   
Greyshaft

On map names say something like '267th Infantrie Division'
How can I change the names to a different format such as '267 Inf XX'?
Is there a file where I can safely modify this?

Maybe this is already possible but I don't know how.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 41
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 10:54:15 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

On map names say something like '267th Infantrie Division'
How can I change the names to a different format such as '267 Inf XX'?
Is there a file where I can safely modify this?

Maybe this is already possible but I don't know how.

You can change the name of any of your units by pressing on the rename button:

If you would like to change the default names for newly created units, go to the scenario folder an open units_names.csv file.
Remember that you will always get the two digits number before the name.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 42
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/26/2011 11:52:41 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
You can change the name of any of your units by pressing on the rename button:

I want to do a bulk rename using a spreadsheet so new units already have my preferred name rather than rename each unit one-by-one after they are created.

I will check out the open units_names.csv file

/Greyshaft

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 43
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/27/2011 9:41:53 AM   
waichou

I tried to sort my next deploy units by "Available in X turns", and I remark that after 1 it is 10, 11, 12, etc; 2 comes after 19, and 3 after 29, etc. So it it difficult to see which unit with be available soon. Maybe you could fix that

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 44
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/29/2011 10:40:21 PM   
JLPOWELL

Multiplayer 'Live' Play
A Pie in the Sky wish list item.
While not in the least easy to implement but 'live' online hot seat play would be really cool. I think it would be great to recreate in person play experience. Live hot seat play with Skype running would be much more social than PBEM. Preserve the best of PBEM and (Fog of War etc) and the best of live play (you see the opponents moves etc with dialogs for whatever country’s you control but FOW would still be preserved.) Other ideas include some changes to the sequence so that economics etc can be done 'anytime' before the end of the last move in a turn (so long as the cash has already been collected.) which would give the non moving players a bit to do.

Having the server run it like a MMORPG to keep folks 'honest' is likely overkill but would be nice but an=n encrypted save file requiring all players to login to unlock presumably with a mechanism controlled with an audit log to allow players be replaced if one drops out would be workable. Perhaps (particularly if run on a server) a hybrid setup could allow a mixture of live and sequential play.

I would pay a monthly fee for the servers, but somehow I don't think we are looking at the World of Warcaft market model with these niche games....

"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 45
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/30/2011 9:32:25 AM   
slaytanic

I'd like a little report that shows the total of a countries current infantry, artillery, tanks, planes etc. Calculated by adding all units composition numbers. That way you can compare it to real world numbers to check how realistic your situation is. 

EDIT: not number of divisions (as many can be understrength), units or strength points but actual numbers: 1.5 million infantry, 2000 tanks, 1500 planes, 5 CVs, 300 DDs etc.

< Message edited by slaytanic -- 12/30/2011 9:35:26 AM >

(in reply to JLPOWELL)
Post #: 46
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/30/2011 9:58:11 AM   
slaytanic

Also,

please please make some sort of a limit on the number of infantry units that can be built. Either through events or hardcoding. I'm all for being able to choose what to produce, but currently a player can choose either a tank corps or spam 40 lvl 1 infantry divisions. That's 600.000 infantry EVERY TURN for major countries. So a soviet player can in 1941 easily build a 15 million infantry army and stall german advance through gamey exploits. In real life you had manpower and you had weapon factories. Two different concepts not interchangeable. TOF is simplified but at least some rules should be set to stop it from making it too silly.

(in reply to slaytanic)
Post #: 47
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/30/2011 4:58:07 PM   
RandomAttack

quote:

Other
I would complete remove any requirement that the player has to keep moving their ships to port for refit. For me it is constant pain to have to look at the naval report, determing who should return to port, then next turn send them back to sea. It totally ruins the flow of the game for me. I would just assume that this is going on and not force the player to have to deal with this level of control when in so many other areas of the game you do not require this level of micromanagement.

I second this. Naval is already so abstract that this doesn't really add anthing IMO.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 48
Graph the production points - 12/30/2011 5:57:07 PM   
Greyshaft

The report menu doesn't give you a snapshot graph of how your economy is doing. It would be good to see a graph that showed PP + SU + WE + support costs since the start of the game on one page so you could understand if things were getting better or worse. I'd also like an option that lets me look at other countries - its probably considered a cheat but its really more out of curiosity about whats happening on the other side. Sort of like lifting FoW for the economic side of the game. I can't see how it would affect gameplay regardless of what the numbers were for the enemy.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 49
RE: Graph the production points - 12/30/2011 6:32:18 PM   
Gloo

My wish list :

- Add random events like :
Tempest/hurricane => XX Ship/airplane damaged or sunk/lost.
Storm/Mud/Rasputitsa => Tanks/AFV damaged/stuck.
Sand storm/fech-fech => Vehicles slowed/damaged/stuck.
...and so on

- In relation to the preceding request : Each time I launch a campaign I'm stuck by the evidence that, somehow, I'm commanding a clone army ! Be it five, ten or more divisions in my OoB, each and every one of them have the same amount of men, arty pieces and AFV. In real life not two divisions are absolutely identical, even if sharing the same assets on the roster. Please, introduce a subtle dose of randomness here ! Something making each unit subtly different from its armed neighbor, even if both share the same title, be it division, corps or army.

- A "Sleep one turn/always" button (even "Panzer general Forever" as got one, and many already asked that feature for "Time of wrath" so come on...).
- A Previous unit shortcut (same thing here).
- A possibility to save the "Unit management panel" filters from turn to turn (actually it's a pain in the b.. as how it's working now).
- A "Check/Uncheck all" button for the same panel... and the same reason.

- Make the weather conditions a more important aspect. That's often a dominant factor in all operations conducted during war time and that should be reflected in your game. As it is now, it's almost useless to check for the weather, as it's treated only as a unimportant factor in an already transparent calculation for the player. Find a way to make it indispensable to check before launching an offensive, a bombardment raid or a beach landing assault. Please !

- Make all units in command radius color coded or something, as to see at a glance who's in charge of who and where. That could help creating fronts resembling something else than a pile of units thrown against each others. As a collateral request I'd like to see less flexibility in the command structure (penalties for a patchwork front and bonuses for maintaining units under a certain commander ; think "Operational art of war"... with a more light mind).

- Having a light hierarchical structure (Division ; Corps ; Armies) is fine for this game BUT I often peste (pronounce it "pest") against the inability to add some brigades to certain units. "Hearts of iron" designers came to the conclusion it would be a great addition to their series and guess what ? It's been a HUGE addition for the fun too (imho) ! Don't be shy Wasteland, it's your fourth attempt with the same concept so go for it, give us the mighty Arty ; Police ; Recce ; A.A., A-T (and the fire ?) brigades !

- A more dynamic and complete info bar ! Each time I need to know what's in that particular hex, why should I be forced to click in it, then on a separate icon, just to see the full detailed features ?

- Think RIGHT (mouse button) ! You really could get rid with many useless, space wasting icons, just adding a right mouse button menu (and replace the current "Right click" action with a Ctrl+ or Alt+ click shortcut).

That's all (for now) and I wish a merry good year to all of you.
Cheers !

(Oh ! And yes, the Maginot is really weak... )

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 50
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/31/2011 4:41:24 PM   
RandomAttack

I would like to see a simple list for major events with the probabilities associated.

Example: R-M Pact: Abrogate = 75% chance of USSR DOW

Not asking for a coding change, just a text file for those of us that don't like flying blind. That way those who prefer surprises aren't affected.

I would do it myself, but looking at the event files gives me a headache-- I just can't seem to decipher them.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 51
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/31/2011 5:04:33 PM   
doomtrader

@RandomAttack, this can be made of course, however needs some time to do it. Most probably it will be simpler to create some simple software for that.

Post #: 52
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 12/31/2011 7:23:56 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: RandomAttack

I would like to see a simple list for major events with the probabilities associated.
Example: R-M Pact: Abrogate = 75% chance of USSR DOW
Not asking for a coding change, just a text file for those of us that don't like flying blind. That way those who prefer surprises aren't affected.
I would do it myself, but looking at the event files gives me a headache-- I just can't seem to decipher them.

Yes, I agree with the need for this.

/Greyshaft

Post #: 53
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/1/2012 5:27:13 AM   
freeboy

I would like to use the roller on my mouse when looking at the events..
I suggest along with the proposed experience doesn't go up so fast changes, that units rushed out are penalized with very low exp, and the longer a unit sits ready and undeployed the unit gains experience.. think training center

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 54
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 11:42:33 AM   
Grimnirsson

A button would be nice that is switching on/off displaying the clouds/weather. I find the clouds a nice feature, but don't want to have them on my map all the time, just need them when I want a quick overview on the weather situation. And going to the options, then preferences, then map, then check/uncheck weather all the time is too much hassle. Thanks!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 55
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 11:49:44 AM   
doomtrader

You can turn the weather on/off by pressing F3 key.

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 56
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 12:37:39 PM   
Grimnirsson

Oops! ah...was just a test whether you know your game or not...

no, just kidding, somehow missed this - Thanks!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 57
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 4:06:02 PM   
Rasputitsa

Railways, when you select a unit for strategic movement all the usable rail hexes highlight. Can we have a hot key to highlight usable rail directly.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 58
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 4:17:11 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Today is Christmas and this is a wishlist thread so I will ask for something nice and of limited practical value.

There is currently no way to create higher lever formations eg Army Group Center / Army Group South in Barbarossa and so it is extremely difficult to keep track of which units are tasked to specific strategic objectives eg were those TAC bombers assigned for the reduction of Leningrad or for the push on Moscow?

It would be great to be able to create these higher level formations and assign units to them. There would be no effect on game mechanics and a player could always choose to use Army Group North's bombers to assist in the assault on Moscow if they really wanted to, but for the player who enjoys forward planning there is something satisfying in knowing that you can always tell which assets are assigned to each objective. The game can then be played to a higher level by committing yourself to allocate reinforcement points equally to each Army Group during a campaign.

This is only a record keeping mechanism for the player and units should be visible through a key combination eg while CTRL-SHFT-F is pressed then Army Group Norths units turn green and Army Group Center's units turn purple and once you release the keys then they return to their normal color.

I would like a similar Army/Front organisation, perhaps units being allocated to specific high level commanders rather than random on the range from the any commander. Units would only draw a command bonus from the commander they were allocated to. That would mean a separate list of commanders qualified to take high level command positions and able to spread their command bonus to several allocated units.

If it were possible a colour coded base for sprites, or colour fill for the centre of NATO icons, would help identify which units had been allocated to each commander.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 59
RE: The Great Wishlist Thread - 1/2/2012 5:26:02 PM   
bairdlander2

Most of the wishlist items are already included in other GC games,why not just play them?Keep this one simple and adding too much takes away from the simplicity.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Great Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI