Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A new player's impressions / proposals / questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> A new player's impressions / proposals / questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/3/2012 2:41:15 PM   
Deggial

Hello to all and a happy new year 2012!

As you might assume from my posting numbers, I'm quite new to DW. (And, as you might assume as well, I'm not a native speaker. So please forgive my imperfect English...)

I just bought the main game and the first expansion (RotS) before Christmas and had the opportunity to try the game over my holidays. And I really like it!
Usually, I'm more into turn based games on earthy terrain (e.g. the "Civilization" series) and after the underwhelming MOO3, "Distant Worlds" is my first try in a real time Space empire game. DW re-established my faith in this genre! ;)

--

Usually, I don't like when people try to make suggestions for improvement without knowing a game in and out. But then, I thought, maybe the first impression has it's own merits. Later on, you get used to how things are. You just learn to live with them, but it doesn't make this issues better.

I don't own the "Legends" expansion. So I didn't want to write all these proposals in the "Master whish list"-thread, as they might already be implemented in the new release. I would love to read, if this is the case.
Additionally, I hope that the points in the list are not based on my lack of knowledge about how the game works. Please tell me, if there are easy possibilities to avoid the mentioned issues.

-------------------------

Things that could be optimized in my regard:

1. Fleet detail window (lower left)
The problem: If a newly ordered, but not completed ship is assigned to a fleet, it's already displayed in this screen. There is now way do discriminate, if this ship is not built yet or is just out of fuel!
My proposal: Underlay assigned but yet unfinished ships with an orange background (just as damaged ships, which have a red one). This would also fit the already established optical clues.

2. Shipyard/Resources Tab
Ships need different resources based on their design to be built and these resources have to be available in the shipyard that builds the respective ship. I love this!
The problem: If, for some reasons, the requested resources are not available at the shipyard, it is hard to find out where the problem lays. You have to check the ship, than switch to the resource-tab, than maybe switch back (there is no way to have multiple windows visible at the same time) and so on.
My proposal: If there is a shortage in a needed resource, use red color for the resource name when listing the ship ressource needs in the construction yard. Using (red) colored text works great in the expansion planner and therefore fit the already established optical clues

3. The expansion planner
Great tool! However:
The problem: When sorting for certain values (e.g. the planet quality) and assigning a planet for colonization, the sorting jumps back to default. This is very annoying if you want to colonize more than one planet. (If there are more planets than fitting in the window, the list even "jumps around" without any sorting functions active, as I noticed last time...)
My proposal: when marking a planet (or moon) for colonization, leave the list in the present position. Don't move it, don't change sorting.

4. The ship-list (and it's use for fleet-building)
Sure, there are filters and sorting functions. And they are needed, indeed!
The Problem: Even with these filters and sorting options, it is somehow difficult to find "free" ships for your fleets. Especially, as it is not possible to sort by more than one option (e.g. ship-class AND current fleet).
Oh, of course! It CAN be done! But it is uncomfortable and unclear.
My proposal:
- Create a bigger window. There is enough space to do so. Why limit yourself to such a small one?
- In this bigger window, use *multiple* sorting options to sort the ships when shown.
- Use tabs. One tab for explorers, one for privates, one for construction ships.... just as it is right now, but more "intuitive" and visual.)
- Represent the (multiple sorted) ships as graphics, not just names, if possible.
- Use Drag&Drop functionality to compose fleets. (Drag the desired ship from the main "list" and drop it in a smaller "fleet-box" representing existing fleets.
I'm aware, that this proposal might be difficult to realize as space is limited and there is much information to be represented. But I'm sure it might be possible...

5. Acoustical alerts
Definitive needed in an real-time based game!
The Problem: Constant warnings lead to a desensitization. After a (very short) time you just think: "Oh well...!" and ignore them all together - and may miss really important battles.
My proposal: Introduce multiple warning levels. Have different alert sounds and pictures for each level. Create options, which level of alert shall be referred to the player.
Level 1: Attacks that lead to easy evasions (eg. exploring ship contacts a space creature)
Level 2: Pirate attacks on mining stations
Level 3: Enemy contact (in war) with inferior enemy forces that probably will be overwhelmed.
Level 4: Enemy contact (in war) with superior enemy forces that probably will crush *your* fleet
This levels should be seen as proposals only. More levels / other rules are thinkable, of course.

As proposed by another forum member in another thread, little flags on the main map for discovered space creatures would be great! Especially, if there are my proposed warning levels and the first level is disabled.

6. The Galactopedia
Great and usefull information base!
Regarding informations about components however, I would like to know if *multiple* copies of a given component are usefull or not.
For some components, this is written in the manual: There is only use for one hyperdrive, for example. Other components are *obviously* usefull in multiple copies: weapons, shilds, life support,...
But what about sensor arrays? Is the chance to detect enemy ships rising with more than one array? I'm prett sure, there are other components with unclear "multi-usefullness", too.
A short sentence about this question would be very helpful for beginners, I suppose.

7. Navigating research trees
I love the new tech-trees in RotS!
The "Problem": Scrolling the galaxy map is done by pressing the *right* mouse button and dragging the mouse. In contrast, scrolling the tech-trees is done by pressing the *left* mouse button and dragging the mouse. While this is no big deal, it would be more intuitive and consistent, if both manipulation tools would work the same way.
Additionally, using LMB in the tech-tree, will choose a tech to research next. If you want to move the tree, you have to pay attention, *not* to click when hovering over a tech.
My proposal: Use right mouse-button in both situations.

8. Minor graphical issues

Yes, I KNOW that strategy games are not about graphics! But it doesn't hurt either, if everything is nice and pleasing to look at. In general, I think DW is okay or even nice (I like the race pictures, the ships, the planets).
One thing, that strucked me however, when I first saw the game is all the TININESS (written in BIG letters, ironically... ;) )
Sure, there is so much information to display! But if this is the case, why use these high detailed pictures as icons additionally? The spy, the hammer, the robot arm,... there could be nice and intuitive, but manly bigger and *reduced* icons to represent these things.
In addition, the icons are very *heterogeneous* in their appearance. The icons in the upper bar (spy, hammer, robot arm,...) are very detailed, whereas some icons in the left bar (the special filters with colonies, special locations, fleets and so on) are far more reduced (eg. the "colonize-flag" and - especially - the mining-possibilities symbol (this red, crossed tools). This leads to an incoherent, undesigned overall picture.

(Speaking of tininess: the fonts are sometimes very hard to read! But I know that the information has to be placed somewhere and space is limited. And I know, that this issue was alleviated in the "Legends" expansion already).

Anyway, all this are not so relevant things I just wanted to mention. As I said: this are my first impressions, when I started the game.

Just one thing more about graphics, that I really don't understand: The "New technology lightbulb"
The Problem: As the picture is semi-trannsparent, it looks murky and dull when displayed on the grey background of the info-window. Did nobody notice, how ugly this looks - and how easy it would be to fix?
My proposal: get rid of the alpha channel behind the bulb. The bulb will look bright and exciting!
My offer: As I did this task already (took about 5 minutes of work), I may post the picture in the mod section of this forum.

--

I really hope, that all this doesn't sound too negative, but is taken as the constructive criticism that is intended. After all, I *do* like the game! (If I wouldn't, I wouldn't lose any thoughts about it, anyway.)

Cheers and "Keep on with your great work!",
Deggial

--

Edit: new point about Galactopia
Edit 2: navigating tech-tree

< Message edited by Deggial -- 1/4/2012 9:56:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/5/2012 9:25:11 AM   
Deggial

Quoting myself:

"I don't own the "Legends" expansion. So I didn't want to write all these proposals in the "Master whish list"-thread, as they might already be implemented in the new release. I would love to read, if this is the case."

and

"1. Fleet detail window (lower left)
The problem: If a newly ordered, but not completed ship is assigned to a fleet, it's already displayed in this screen. There is now way do discriminate, if this ship is not built yet or is just out of fuel!
My proposal: Underlay assigned but yet unfinished ships with an orange background (just as damaged ships, which have a red one). This would also fit the already established optical clues. "

You really could have told me... . It would have made my decission, whether or not to buy "Legends" easier.
I bought it now. One of the first things I realized, was this improvement.

Anyway. Nice to see, that my proposal seemed quite decent at least. They even took orange...

I hadn't enough time to play around with the refreshed game, yet. I'm curious to see, what else changed.
Just as much: I *love* the new boarder feature and the characters. The overlays are great, too!

One question about overlays:
What does the fleet-stance-overlay do? (As mentioned: I had only a vew minutes to play and I have only one fleet right now. But changing their stance doesn't seem to change anything in the overlay: There is shown nothing at all.)

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 2
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/5/2012 9:29:19 AM   
Nedrear

Click my signature

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 3
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/5/2012 4:40:24 PM   
Data

click me, click me.....sorry, couldn't help myself

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 4
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/6/2012 1:29:54 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Click my signature

Pull my finger while you're at it.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 5
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/6/2012 1:59:56 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data
click me, click me.....sorry, couldn't help myself

Yeah, and while I am doing that, you will be doing Professor Elway transdimensional shift to creatively procure more Corellian Ale...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/6/2012 3:19:44 AM   
Evrett

"after the underwhelming MOO3, "Distant Worlds" is my first try in a real time Space empire game. DW re-established my faith in this genre! ;) "

They just made a moo3 of their own but one game that should be on your list is Kerberos' Sword of the Stars. Avoid the sequel like the plague but the first game is quite good and you can get it for 5 bucks or free. DW:L is more a thinking man's empire manager game while Sots skips move of that and focus on blowing things up.

Sorting fleets is something I too feel needs a bit of love. As "miliary ship" get far too expansive a description. Lits by class would be best. 

< Message edited by Evrett -- 1/6/2012 3:20:23 AM >

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 7
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/6/2012 4:09:48 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evrett

Kerberos' Sword of the Stars. Avoid the sequel like the plague

Is it really that bad? I've seen it panned by the critics a lot, but haven't had the time or motivation to do more than skim the articles.

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 8
RE: A new player's impressions / proposals / questions - 1/6/2012 6:54:47 AM   
Texashawk

Aye, rumor has it that it was the unloved secret bastard child of Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing and Superman 64.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evrett

Kerberos' Sword of the Stars. Avoid the sequel like the plague

Is it really that bad? I've seen it panned by the critics a lot, but haven't had the time or motivation to do more than skim the articles.

< Message edited by Texashawk -- 1/6/2012 6:55:19 AM >

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> A new player's impressions / proposals / questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI