Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finland in WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Finland in WW2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finland in WW2 - 9/17/2000 3:39:00 PM   
SP-Pete

Hello all players.Most of campaigns and scenarios has made, most of them are from east and west fronts but not so much from Finland vs Russian wars so now i´m curious. Anyone has made campaign from Winter War or Continuation War ???

Post #: 1
- 9/17/2000 6:38:00 PM   
Ilkka

Well basically Finnish battles are side-shows for most people. There are some scenarios of Finnish wars for TOAW. And as soon as I get my stuff ready I will be posting detailed scenarios of the winter war and continuation war for TOAW-WotY edition. So if you are into operational wargames check out TOAW. Ilkka

May Chuck Schuldiner's soul rest in peace at the great halls of Valhalla. We all miss you.

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 2
- 9/21/2000 10:47:00 PM   
varjager

I think that northen front is mostly forgotten because there where not any major tankbattles.But it would make perfect for an inf-campaign.The finns fought long and hard for there freedom.

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2000 1:33:00 AM   
Bonzo

Hi SP-Pete. As a player who prefers the earlier period of the war with a bent towards infantry action, I would be interested in trying out ANY scenario you might try to do on this theater, should you wish to try your hand at scenario building. Who better to know the details of this war than a person from Finland? Any size, large or small, historical or "what if". I'll give it a try & give you my feedback. I may not be able to help too much with the technicalities of building, but there are lots of folks on the SPWaW forum to help you out. They may even have or be working on some Winter War scenarios right now. Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 4
- 9/24/2000 12:03:00 PM   
Yverlok

I've been playing with the SPWAW editor, researching, and sketching some maps with the ultimate goal of a Winter War campaign. Definitely want to make a scenario or two for experience before I start on a whole campaign. Currently planning Tolvajärvi (12 Dec. 1939) as first. I've got a decent map showing unit locations and directions, but no elevation or vegetation info. I had little knowledge of this part of the war before I started researching, so any suggestions are definitely welcome. I think that's the reason the front is mostly forgotten in wargames, just because most people don't know much about it. Reading the history is fascinating, though. Anyone else working on one?

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 5
- 9/25/2000 6:23:00 AM   
Ilkka

quote:

Originally posted by Yverlok: I've been playing with the SPWAW editor, researching, and sketching some maps with the ultimate goal of a Winter War campaign. Definitely want to make a scenario or two for experience before I start on a whole campaign. Currently planning Tolvajärvi (12 Dec. 1939) as first. I've got a decent map showing unit locations and directions, but no elevation or vegetation info. I had little knowledge of this part of the war before I started researching, so any suggestions are definitely welcome. I think that's the reason the front is mostly forgotten in wargames, just because most people don't know much about it. Reading the history is fascinating, though. Anyone else working on one?
I agree. There are not much books available in English about winter war, or continuation war. In the same time in Finland there are probably hundreds of shelf-kilometers of winter war literature alone. The area in Tolvajärvi has a lots of elevation changes I think and obviously plenty of forest. Good luck to you with crafting General Talvela's battle. Ilkka

May Chuck Schuldiner's soul rest in peace at the great halls of Valhalla. We all miss you.

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 6
- 9/28/2000 5:06:00 AM   
Grumble

FWIW, Two boardgames one could use for some basic map and OOB research are: Arctic Storm (I THINK GMT games), and A Winter War (GDW). There are some books in English available (Did part of my thesis on the Winter/Continuation Wars) but most are outta print. Try Amazon.com. Good Luck.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 7
- 9/30/2000 5:03:00 PM   
Ilkka

Have not seen the board games you mentioned so can't comment their accuracy, but usually I am a bit disappointed with the data in foreign made "Finland at war" scenarios. Then again I could be wrong in this case. Ilkka

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 8
- 10/2/2000 11:09:00 PM   
Grumble

At least for "A Winter War", the Order of Battle archival research was assisted by Finnish historians, to help overcome the linguistic challenges to the design team. IIRC, one of the designers also investigated the ex-Soviet archives for material on the Red Army. A commendable job, considering that the Russians are still reluctant to release much "official" information about the Winter War.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 9
- 10/3/2000 7:42:00 PM   
Ilkka

Ok well that sounds like reasonable effort to say at least to create accurate game. You are right about the Soviet stuff; the German-Soviet war is another topic where many wargames lack accurate data. Although nowadays a lot of "new" material has come available. Ilkka

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 10
- 10/4/2000 4:02:00 AM   
mogami

I want to see a scenerio were the Russians jump out of low level transports without parachutes. Most of them survived the fall but landed headfirst in deep snow where the Finn's depending on their mood (or sense of humour) pulled them out or left them. Wish I could remember place and date. ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 11
- 10/4/2000 11:00:00 PM   
Grumble

The Red Army used that method for infil'ing Special Ops and Partisans. I saw some German intelligence reports where they show a "coffin"-good name- that had 1-2 people and equipment in it, lashed under a Po2. The Po2 flew low and slow enough that it could literally be dropped without chutes into snow or "soft" ground. That was the theory anyway. Chances of survival were not good, but then that's never really been a factor for the Tsarist/Red/Russian Army.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 12
- 10/7/2000 3:47:00 AM   
mlehtonen

Hey guys! Long-time Steel Panthers fanatic, first time poster. The topic of the Winter War caught my eye and after reading through the postings I decided to drop in my 2 cents. If anyone's interested in literature on the subject, the book "Soviet Invasion(s?) of Finland" offers a good, broad look at the two most recent wars between us and the Soviets. If you're interested in getting started on the Winter and Continuation Wars, I suggest you try this book. I saw it on eBay the other day and it should be available at Amazon. I can give you the name of the author the next time I visit my book-collecting friend. Similiarly, there are at least three Finns on this message board right now. If anyone really wants, I'm sure one of us can operate a book-dealing ring. Literature on the Finnish wars is easily obtained here and many of the books are in English. With the strong dollar and pound the books would be pretty cheap right now, too. Personally I've always found the Winter War one of the most fascinating conflicts in modern history (and I'm not even a raging patriot), and I think many of you would agree.

--- "Purple is a fruit"

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 13
- 10/10/2000 1:23:00 PM   
SAKO

Hi guys, I'm new to this board, but there are some basic info available on the net about the Winter War. Check out http://www.winterwar.com for starters, and continue with the links. Cheers, SAKO

(in reply to SP-Pete)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Finland in WW2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote