Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Rising Sun: An IJN AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> The Rising Sun: An IJN AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rising Sun: An IJN AAR - 11/10/2002 11:50:25 PM   
Von Rom

Settings

For this AAR I will be playing the Japanese in Scenario #17, one day turns, on "Historic", at "100%" ship commitment for both sides, with all options turned on.

Introduction:

From the War Diary of vice-Admiral Isokora Tanaka:

May 1, 1942

His Majesty and the Imperial War Cabinet have entrusted to me, vice-Admiral Isokora Tanaka, the honour of leading our imperial forces to glory in the South Pacific.

It is my inflexible will to drive quickly into the heart of the enemy: to seize New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, New Hebrides, and to threaten even Australia, itself.

Our Imperial Forces have been victorious everywhere in the Pacific: Pearl Harbour, French Indo-China, Manchuria, China, Guam, Wake, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Netherlands East Indies, Thailand, Malaya, Burma, Singapore. . .

Our forces are unstoppable; our will irresistable. . .

We will conquer all lands that fall under our gaze. The Allied troops have become soft and tremble at the approach of our shadow. In contrast, our soldiers are strong and courageous, and have been trained since birth to live the life of a Samurai. They know only Bushido: the Way of the Warrior.

I have studied the military situation carefully. The Imperial High Command has placed powerful air and naval forces under my command. Therefore, we will strike the Allies where they least expect it: our troops will strike into New Guinea and the Solomon Islands; our carrier planes will attack swiftly and will strike airfields, ports and any opposing naval forces; and our battleships and heavy cruisers will strike fear into the enemy, and will impose upon him, the power of the Imperial Fist.

Tomorrow is Zero Hour: The beginning of Operation "Imperial Wind".

According to Sun Tsu:

All warfare is based on deception.

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Post #: 1
- 11/11/2002 3:14:15 AM   
DeadpanDevilDog

Von Rom, or Admiral, if you prefer-
I look forward to your AAR. Be dilligent. Take PM and you can then focus the vast majority of your resources on the Eastern front. Good luck.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 2
- 11/11/2002 5:05:22 AM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeadpanDevilDog
[B]Von Rom, or Admiral, if you prefer-
I look forward to your AAR. Be dilligent. Take PM and you can then focus the vast majority of your resources on the Eastern front. Good luck. [/B][/QUOTE]

DeadpanDevilDog: Thanks for the advice and encouragement :) Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy playing UV and bringing you tales of my victories and defeats. . . heh.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 3
- 11/11/2002 5:54:41 AM   
Von Rom

May 5, 1942

Our forces have struck!

Operation "Imperial Wind" has begun!

For several days and nights our long-range bombers based at Rabaul have attacked Port Morseby's airfields. The Allies have offered only weak resistance.

Even now our Imperial troops are storming ashore at Gilli Gili and Tulagi. Soon they will invade and seize Buna and Guadalcanal.

Despite these quick victories, a most unsettling event occurred today. An Allied surface task force made up of 2 heavy cruisers, a light cruiser and 2 destroyers attacked our landing forces at Gili Gili, sinking one of our troop transports and a single destroyer.

I was surprised by such an action. This brave, but fool-hardy attempt by the Allies to impede our advance will not stand.

Earlier, I had formed a powerful carrier task force made up of three carriers, six heavy cruisers and several destroyers. It was maneuvering just south-west of Rabaul when the Allied cruisers struck. This Allied action was quickly met by a withering attack of carrier planes.

Despite strong air defenes, our highly trained pilots inflicted severe damage on the Allied task force: Kates broke through the AA screen, came in low, and dropped torpedoes, striking several cruisers; Vals dropped from the sky, released their bombs, and pierced two of the vulnerable ships' decks. These attacks by our carrier planes caused the sea near the southern tip of New Guinea to be illuminated by the light of burning Allied ships; their fires lighting the way for our troops, as they marched to seize Gili Gili. . .

To illustrate this attack, I have included in this report several intelligence descriptions of our air attack against the Allied surface fleet:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/05/42

Air attacks on Allied Warships, near Gili Gili:

First Attack from Carriers:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14
D3A Val x 21
B5N Kate x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 3 destroyed
D3A Val x 6 damaged
B5N Kate x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Hobart
CA Chicago, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Australia, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Farragut

Second Attack from Carriers:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
D3A Val x 20
B5N Kate x 21

no losses

Allied Ships
CL Hobart
CA Chicago, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Australia, Bomb hits 3, on fire
DD Farragut
DD Walke

Third Attack from Rabaul:

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 2 destroyed
G3M Nell x 7 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Australia, on fire
CA Chicago, Bomb hits 4, on fire
CL Hobart, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Fourth Attack from Carriers:

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 31
B5N Kate x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Hobart, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Farragut

In addition to this naval action near Gili Gili, Allied aircraft based at Port Moresby have been attacking our invasion ships. This must stop! Our bombers will soon silence this impudence. . .

Our intelligence reports also indicate that at least two American carriers are known to be south-east of Brisbane. But where are they headed? I have instructed my carrier task force commander to seek out the American carriers and to destroy them in a "Decisive Battle".

According to Sun Tsu:

When doing battle, seek a quick victory. A protracted battle will blunt weapons and dampen ardor. If troops lay siege to a walled city, their strength will be exhausted. If the army is exposed to a prolonged campaign, the nation's resources will not suffice.

Therefore, I have heard of military campaigns that were clumsy but swift, but I have never seen military campaigns that were skilled but protracted. No nation has ever benefited from protracted warfare.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 4
- 11/11/2002 12:27:06 PM   
Von Rom

May 10, 1942

Great news! The American fortress of Corregidor fell on May 6th to the armies of General Homma. All US forces in the Phillipines have surrendered!

Everywhere, our victorious armies are advancing. . .

In the South Pacific, our Imperial troops have captured Gili Gili and Buna on New Guinea, and they have also seized Tulagi and Guadalcanal. To mark these victories, the Imperial War Cabinet sent their congratulations, and in a telegram, have hinted that they may be rewarding me with additional forces to continue my conquests.

In more urgent military matters: the American carriers were spotted on May 6th positioned three hundred miles south-east of Gili Gili. I ordered my carrier task force commander to pursue the American carriers and engage them at all costs. They must not be allowed to escape.

On May 7th, the American carriers were found and engaged, thus culminating in The Carrier Battle of the Coral Sea. It was a decisive engagement.

Just as our three-carrier task force was advancing towards the enemy, the American carriers launched their planes: they attacked our carriers with 10 Wildcats and 13 Dive Bombers. To meet this on-slaught, our carriers launched 24 Zeros. Those American flyers fought like Samurai! But it was a futile attack; the enemy did not score a single hit!

Then we counterattacked: 15 Zeros, 20 Vals and 40 Kates struck at the American ships. Wildcats rose to challenge our air strike. Despite the enemy's brave efforts, many of our planes got through and attacked the American carriers. Vals dove down and dropped two direct hits on the carrier Yorktown; Kates came in low and put a single torpedo into the carrier Lexington.

Once our attack had abated, the Americans struck again: this time they sent 4 Wildcats and 30 Dive Bombers against our carriers. Despite this heroic attempt, many American planes were shot down, and, once again, failed to score a hit on our ships!

Our planes then counterattacked: we unleashed 15 Zeros, 27 Vals, and 35 kates against the Americans. Our planes dove through the sky, dropping bombs and torpedoes on the enemy ships. The carrier Yorktown was struck with 3 torpedoes and one bomb; the carrier Lexington was hit with one torpedo and 7 bombs.

Once our planes had returned, the attack broke off, and the American carriers slipped away. I instructed our task force commander to pursue the crippled carriers at all costs. Then, on May 8th, the American carriers were spotted again; they were attempting to retreat to the safety of Noumea.

Our carriers launched their attack planes and struck the American ships. The Lexington was hit with two more torpedoes and heaved in the water from the force of the explosions. The Yorktown, severely crippled from its injuries, and with fires raging out of control, listed to port, and then sank into the blue waters of the Coral Sea.

Another air strike was sent gainst the Lexington, but it could not be found. It is presumed that this carrier, too, also sank.

This is a great, decisive victory. With the American carriers gone, I have gained freedom of movement for my carrier task force, and will be able to bring its planes to bear upon the important battles that still lay ahead.

My intelligence officer has prepared the following battle reports of this decisive carrier battle:

Carrier Battle of the Coral Sea:

Allied Air Attack on IJN Carrier TF:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
SBD Dauntless x 13

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 8 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 7 damaged

LCDR C. Fenton of VF-42 is KILLED

Japanese Ships
CVL Shoho
CV Zuikaku

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IJN Air Attack on Allied Carrier TF:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15
D3A Val x 20
B5N Kate x 40

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 5 destroyed
D3A Val x 10 damaged
B5N Kate x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CV Lexington, Bomb hits 1
DD Dewey, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Russell
CA Astoria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IJN Air attack on Allied Surface TF:

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 6 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Chester, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Air Attack on IJN Carrier TF:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 4
SBD Dauntless x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 2 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 8 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 24 damaged

LT K. Okajima of EII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku
CVL Shoho
CA Myoko

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15
D3A Val x 27
B5N Kate x 35

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 6 damaged
B5N Kate x 4 destroyed
B5N Kate x 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Hammann
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CV Lexington, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Anderson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IJN Air attack on Allied Carrier TF:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15
D3A Val x 16
B5N Kate x 11

no losses

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
D3A Val x 12

no losses

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 3 destroyed
B5N Kate x 19 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

IJN Air Attack on Allied Surface TF:

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Chester, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to this great victory, our carrier task force, through some miracle, found itself on the route taken by the crippled cruisers that had escaped from the earlier battle at Gili Gili. Our carriers launched their planes and sank the heavy cruiser Chester.

Good fortune has smiled upon the Imperial Empire.

According to Sun Tsu:

Therefore, to gain a hundred victories in a hundred battles is not the highest excellence; to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 1

Japan - 6

Planes Lost

Allied - 170

Japan - 40

Bases controlled

Allied - 13

Japan - 19

Score

Allied - 2,719

Japan - 4,745

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 5
heh . . . - 11/11/2002 8:06:27 PM   
Luskan

Great code name for your offensive.
If I'd been the allied translator going over the radio intercepts, I'd put "Imperial Wind" down to something the emporer ate . . . :D

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 6
Re: heh . . . - 11/11/2002 10:46:03 PM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luskan
[B]Great code name for your offensive.
If I'd been the allied translator going over the radio intercepts, I'd put "Imperial Wind" down to something the emporer ate . . . :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Luskan: :D LOL

Too much rice with "special sauce". heh

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 7
- 11/12/2002 6:28:31 AM   
Von Rom

May 18, 1942

Since the defeat of the American carriers in the Battle of the Coral Sea, my forces have gained freedom of movement in the South Pacific.

Having gained this freedom of movement, I have concentrated my strategy on isolating and securing two objectives: Port Morseby, the last major Allied base in New Guinea; and Luganville, the gateway into the New Hebrides chain of islands.

1) Port Morseby: I have planned to isolate and seize this base in the following manner:

I detached the carriers Shokaku and Shoho along with 4 heavy cruisers and 4 destroyers, and positioned this carrier task force 150 miles south of Gili Gili. For the past several days planes from these carriers have attacked Allied ships attempting to re-supply Port Morseby. Several enemy ships have already been sunk.

Three long-range bomber groups from Rabaul have been bombing the airfields at Port Morseby on a continual basis both to damage the landing strips and to destroy the aircraft stationed on them.

In addition, I have positioned three submarines in and around the Port to torpedo any ships that seek to gain entry to it.

Finally, I have ordered several infantry brigades to cross over the mountains from Buna and to attack Port Morseby from the landward side.

Australian and American planes based at Port Morseby have been attacking our convoys, ships and men on a continual basis. These airmen have displayed surprising toughness and resilience. They have even tangled with our Zeros, and have proven equal to the challenge. It is a pity that I must crush such a brilliant display of fighting ability.

But crush them I shall. . .

2) Luganville: I will isolate and seize this base in the following manner:

I positioned the carrier Zuikaku along with 2 heavy cruisers and 3 destroyers just 100 miles north-west of Luganville. The planes from this carrier have attacked and destroyed many Allied ships seeking to reinforce this base.

In addition to this force, several days ago, I ordered a surface task force consisting of 2 light cruisers, 1 destroyer and 1 patrol gunboat to head for Luganville to add fire support. Upon arriving at this Allied base, these Japanese ships engaged several Allied destroyers and mine sweepers, causing severe losses for the enemy.

Finally, two "I" submarines are currently patrolling the waters off Luganville, and two infantry divisions are currently making the long voyage from Truk, for the purpose of invading this base.

My carriers have been in continuous action for almost three weeks. Today, I ordered all carrier task forces and surface fleets to steam for Shortland where they will be re-supplied and re-fueled. I hope to have my carriers and surface fleets back in action within the next few days in order to carry out my invasion plans. . .

According to Sun Tsu:

Therefore, one who is skilled in warfare principles subdues the enemy without doing battle, takes the enemy's walled city without attacking, and overthrows the enemy quickly, without protracted warfare. His aim must be to take All-Under-Heaven intact. Therefore, weapons will not be blunted, and gains will be intact. These are the principles of planning attacks.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 8
- 11/13/2002 7:32:51 AM   
Von Rom

June 16, 1942

Intelligence Reports from other fronts in this World War have contained mixed news:

On May 20th, our glorious Japanese soldiers completed the conquest of Burma. And on May 26th, General Erwin Rommel and his famous Afrika Korps have gone on the offensive in Libya.

However, on May 30th, British bombers attacked the city of Cologne in Germany. And, closer to home, on June 4th-6th, our carriers suffered a terrible defeat at the Battle of Midway. I fear this may mean Japan's eastward thrust has been decisively halted.

Now to our situation in the South Pacific:

The Allies and our Japanese forces are currently locked in a death struggle for control of Port Morseby and Luganville. This contest of wills has continued unabated for weeks!

1) Port Morseby: Currently, on land both the Allies and our forces each have approximately 25,000 men fighting for this base. I have been ferrying in troops from Truk, while the Allies have been flying in reinforcements by air from Australia. I cut-off supply to Port Morseby by sea through the use of a two-carrier task force I positioned just south-east of Gili Gili. These carrier planes intercepted all Allied supply ships that were attempting to break the blocade and re-supply the base.

The situation in the air has improved somewhat: The lack of Allied supply at Morseby means that the large number of Allied medium bombers stationed there have either been rendered immobile or are operating from a base in Australia.

This reduced Allied air activity means that more of my troops are landing at Morseby. In addition, my land-based bombers in Rabaul are continuing to hammer this base at night, thus keeping the Allied airforce grounded. A few days ago, I received two more carriers: one heavy and one light. This means that I will have four carriers (three heavy and one light) operating in the Port Morseby area. With the reduced Allied air activity, it will soon be safe to move these carriers closer to the base and begin an air offensive using carrier planes.

The situation at sea has also improved: the reduced Allied air activity means that my bombardment task forces are suffering less from air attacks. Also, I just received the mighty Yamato. Its addition to the bombardment of Port Morseby will be welcome, and hopefully, will help turn the tide of the land battle.

So far, I have taken the fight to the Allies, and have kept them on the defensive, and have contained their forces to the Australian coast and the New Hebrides islands. At this point I enjoy relative air superiority, and my supply situation is excellent!

2) Luganville: The Allies and our forces are both totally committed to seizing this strategic objective. We both have approximately 5,000 men fighting on land, and we are both attempting to transport more forces to this island base.

I have positioned a single carrier task force and a light bombardment task force just north-west of Luganville. My carrier planes have been intercepting most Allied supply efforts by sea and by air. My light bombardment task force has been hammering the base as well as interdicting unwary Allied supply ships.

At both Port Morseby and at Luganville, my submarines prowl the waters looking for prey. And replenishment tanker fleets have been keeping my carrier and surface fleets "on station", and ready for action.

No one, it seems is giving up. The Allies are as committed to these locations as are our own imperial forces. We are both pouring into this titanic struggle men, machines, and supplies.

What will happen next?

Will our forces capture Port Morseby and Luganville before the Americans have a chance to recover? Will American carriers soon make their appearance and tip the balance in their favour?

Only time will tell. . .

The next few weeks will determine a great deal. . .

The outcome of the War in the South Pacific hangs in the balance. . .

According to Sun Tsu:

Generally in warfare: If ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, divide them; if equal, be able to fight them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them. Therefore, a smaller army that is inflexible will be captured by a larger one.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 25

Japan - 15

Planes Lost

Allied - 278

Japan - 149

Bases Held

Allied - 12

Japan - 20

Score

Allied - 2,976

Japan - 5,736

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 9
- 11/14/2002 8:16:39 AM   
Von Rom

June 27, 1942

Events from the war continue to unfold:

Our Allies, the Germans, have enjoyed a string of victories: On June 21st, General Rommel, in a daring campaign in North Africa, captured Tobruk. And on June 25th, German troops won a great victory at Kharkov on the Eastern Front.

Within our own theatre of war, the South Pacific, the great struggle continues:

The Americans are on the offensive!

Another great carrier battle was fought in the Coral Sea, on the 23rd and 24th of June.

On the 23rd of June, an American carrier task force, consisting of the Hornet and Enterprise, was spotted in the Coral Sea heading north. It was after a Japanese carrier task force that was being sent back to Rabaul for re-supply. At the time the American planes struck this carrier task force, it had only half its compliment of aircraft.

This two-carrier Japanese task force consisted of the heavy carrier Zuikaku and the light carrier Zuiho. Warned of the American approach, the commander of this task force launched his planes first, sending 15 Val dive bombers towards the American carriers. Alas, every one of those Vals was destroyed without scoring a single hit. They died in the tradition of Samurai.

Then the Americans launched their planes, striking our carriers Zuikaku and Zuiho again and again with 1,000 lb bombs and torpedoes. These carriers lurched from the impact of the bombs, and groaned from the fury of the fires that raged on their decks.

At the time of this American attack, I had another two-carrier task force, consisting of the heavy carriers Akagi and Kaga, stationed just north of Buna. This second task force immediately steamed towards the American carriers and launched its planes, sending wave after wave of Val dive-bombers and Kate torpedo planes towards the enemy ships.

These Japanese planes collided with American Wildcats, suffered many destroyed aircraft, broke free, and then swooped down upon the enemy carriers, dropping bombs and torpedoes. Many of these bombs exploded in the water, missing the ships. But several bombs found their mark, and they plunged into the flight decks of the Hornet and Enterprise, causing a spasm of eruptions that filled the sky with wood, metal and flame.

After this attack had ended, the Americans launched another wave of planes towards our carriers. . .

And on and on it went: the American carriers launching their planes; our own carriers sending air strikes in retaliation. . . .

Carriers on both sides were burning out of control; like stationary pyres upon a sea of glass. . .

While this battle raged between the two American carriers and our four Japanese carriers, I ordered a third carrier task force, consisting of the heavy carrier Shokaku and the light carrier Shoho, stationed at Rabaul, to immediately steam south. By the 24th of June this carrier task force was in position, and it unleashd a withering attack of dive bombers and torpedo planes upon the burning enemy carriers. The end came quickly for the Americans. . .

Included here are the complete battle reports of this great carrier battle.

Second Battle of the Coral Sea: June 23-24, 1942

Japanese Air attack against American Carriers:

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 11

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 11 destroyed
D3A Val x 3 damaged

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Air attack against Japanese Carriers:

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 60

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 13 damaged

Japanese Ships
CS Nisshin
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 3, on fire
DD Yugure
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 5, on fire
DD Yuzuki

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26
B5N Kate x 9

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
B5N Kate x 3 destroyed
B5N Kate x 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3 damaged

CPO W.Kumagaya of CII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Allied Ships
CV Hornet
DD Lamson

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
A6M3 Zero x 10

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M3 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 4 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 10 damaged

PO1 R.Muranaka of AI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 2
CV Akagi, Bomb hits 1

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
A6M3 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 16
SBD Dauntless x 13
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 5 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 11 damaged

LCDR R. Best of VB-6 is KILLED

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Mogami
CV Akagi, Torpedo hits 1

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
A6M3 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 22
SBD Dauntless x 30
TBD Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M3 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 2 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Arashi
CS Chiyoda
CA Mogami
CV Akagi
DD Amagiri, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
A6M3 Zero x 14
D3A Val x 42
B5N Kate x 38

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 33

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 6 destroyed
D3A Val x 7 damaged
B5N Kate x 11 destroyed
B5N Kate x 31 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged

PO2 C.Murakami of AI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Allied Ships
CV Hornet, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 12, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hutchins
DD Conyngham
DD Benham
DD MacDonough
CA San Francisco

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
B5N Kate x 10

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

PO2 P.Matsubara of EI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 3

LT M. Nakamoto of EIII-3 Daitai bails out and is CAPTURED

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, on fire, heavy damage
CLAA Atlanta
CV Hornet, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A Val x 15
B5N Kate x 14

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD O'Brien

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
G3M Nell x 3

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 14

no losses

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x G3M Nell at 200 feet

***END ***

The results of the Second Battle of the Coral Sea:

Americans:

* The heavy carriers Hornet and Enterprise were sunk

Japanese:

* The heavy carrier Kaga was sunk; the heavy carrier Akagi suffered 14% system damage with 40% flooding; the heavy carrier Zuikaku suffered 66% system damage and 36% flooding; and the light carrier Zuiho suffered 34% system damage and 44% flooding.

All damaged Japanese carriers made it safely to port.

The second battle of the Coral Sea was a decisive, tactical victory for our Imperial forces, resulting in the destruction of two American carriers, while losing only one of our own carriers.

However, three other Japanese carriers were badly damaged, and may be out of action for some time. This means that the strategic initiative around Luganville, in the New Hebrides, has passed to the Americans. With only two carriers left in the fleet, I am forced to concentrate all my resources on the conquest of Port Morseby.

Therefore:

1) I will concentrate on taking Port Morseby quickly. I now have 50,000 men attacking this base versus 26,000 Australians. As soon as I seize Lea Lea with a combat team (to cut-off the Australian retreat), I will order my forces to attack this objective. Even now, the Australians and Americans are rushing supply ships to this base, in an effort to save the garrison. My carrier planes are waiting for them. . . Bansai!

2) At Luganville, I will withdraw all surface forces, being content for now, with sending mine-laying ships to mine the entrance to this base, and with sending submarines to harass the Allied convoy ships attempting to re-supply their troops here.

3) Elsewhere, Lunga, on Guadalcanal, has a level-3 airfield and port. This base will serve to anchor my eastern flank, should the Americans break free of the New Hebrides islands. In addition, I am also building up the airbase at Gili Gili and Gasmata.

For the next few days, all my attention will be devoted to crushing Port Morseby. This must be done quickly. I fear the Americans have more surprises in store for me in the weeks and months that lay ahead.

Often times I feel that it may have been a serious mistake for Japan to have dragged America into this war. Why have our leaders forced us into this position?

flowers are serene
branches bend with the wind
yet the sea still rages. . .

According to Sun Tsu:

Therefore I say: One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles. One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose. One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 37

Japan - 29

Planes Lost

Allied - 462

Japan - 285

Bases Held

Allied - 13

Japan - 20

Score

Allied - 3,500

Japan - 7,103

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 10
- 11/15/2002 6:27:18 AM   
DeadpanDevilDog

The militarists made a mistake in attacking Pearl, but you're doing your best to cope. Thing both long-term and short-term.

On a side note, I'm enjoying your AAR a lot. Are you playing one day turns, and just posting the highlights?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 11
- 11/15/2002 8:51:36 AM   
SoulBlazer

So the USA has lost 4 carriers in the south pacific compared to only 1 CV and 1 CVL for Japan? Sounds like several of my games of Carrier Strike. :)

But really, even without Midway, the Americans will eventuly outnumber Japan in carriers and planes. There's a good article on CombinedFleet about Japan being the underdog, and what may have happened if Japan won big at Midway, and how the war would only have dragged on another year or so, and I agree wholeheartly with that.

At least you still have all your surface ships. It will take the US time to move in their last 2 carriers and maybe the Brits will send over one. You should be able to run wild for several months now and dig in for counterattacks in 1943. Once they get better planes and more troops, though, it gets a lot harder.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 12
- 11/15/2002 8:54:12 AM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeadpanDevilDog
[B]The militarists made a mistake in attacking Pearl, but you're doing your best to cope. Thing both long-term and short-term.

On a side note, I'm enjoying your AAR a lot. Are you playing one day turns, and just posting the highlights? [/B][/QUOTE]

DeadpanDevilDog: Hi :)

Glad to see you're enjoying following along with me in my little campaign. It's a blast. Very tense right now. . .

Yes, I am playing one day turns, and re-capping the major events that have occurred. There has been so much action since I started this campaign on May 1, 1942, that the turns have just breezed by.

Cheers!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 13
- 11/15/2002 10:25:36 AM   
Von Rom

July 10, 1942

Three earth-shattering events have occurred in the South Pacific in the past several weeks:

1) The Third Battle of the Coral Sea

In attempting to seize Port Morseby, both the Allies and our forces each sent in a carrier task force. Land-based planes stationed at Port Morseby severely damaged our last two carriers, and they had to be withdrawn for repair. Gili Gili would now have to serve as our "aircraft carrier" in the west on New Guinea.

In retaliation, the American carrier Saratoga was sunk by our planes stationed on Gili Gili. This carrier was hit by 10 bombs and 4 torpedoes. She sank in the Coral Sea seeking to escape.

The loss of these three carriers means that neither the Allies nor our Imperial forces have any active carriers in the South Pacific at this time. Gili Gili will have to serve as the airfield from which our planes will attempt to stop the Allied ships from reaching Port Morseby.

2) The Battle for Luganville

Having lost several of our carriers earlier, I had to abandon the New Hebrides, in favour of concentrating on attacking Port Morseby. As a result of this move, the Americans reinforced Luganville with over 10,000 marines. After several battles, the marines attacked in over-whelming force and succeeded in seizing Luganville. Our forces lost 3,900 soldiers and 200 guns.

Our nation mourns the loss of these brave warriors. Hei

The Americans have now gained the initiative in the east and control all of the New Hebrides islands. In addition to a powerful land army, the Americans have launched a surface fleet containing several heavy cruisers and destroyers.

The only thing standing in their way? Lunga, on Guadalcanal. I expect the next series of clashes will take place for this island in the Solomons. Even now, I am rushing men and material to fortify this island.

3) The Battle for Port Morseby

Both the Allies and our Japanese forces have been fighting without let-up for two months to re-supply, reinforce, bomb, attack, and seize Port Morseby.

We have fought on the ground, at sea, and in the air. Our men have died, our ships have been sunk, and our planes have been shot down. We have drained our forces of men and material to keep the drive going. But it is never enough. Both sides are at the breaking point; strained to the limit to deliver more supplies, more ships, more planes, and more men. We have reached the limit of human endurance. . .

But still we continue, still we bleed, still we have hope . .

Both sides try to do more, but it is never enough. . .

The Battle for Port Morseby has consumed men, planes, ships and supplies. It has become the Black Hole of New Guinea, as both sides poured weapons and men into a meat-grinder that can never be satisfied.

Both opponents became obsessed, almost suicidal, in our determination to deny this strategic base to the other side. While we bombed the Australians from the air and shipped in men from the sea, the Australians, in turn, attacked us on land and bombed our ships at sea.

It became a never-ending cycle: the Australians would attack us on land, then we would attack them on land; they would ship in supplies by sea, then we would send in supplies by sea; they would bomb our ships from Port Morseby and Cairns (in Australia), and we would attack their airfields from Rabaul and their ships from Gili Gili.

On and on it went, an endless landscape filled with craters, burning wrecks, and men who had lost all hope. . .

The outcome hung in the balance.

Finally, I received some reinforcements in the form of battleships and heavy cruisers and formed three bombardment groups, and ordered them all to attack Port Morseby without let-up. To keep them on station, I formed several tanker task forces, and protected them with fighter cover.

The Australians and Americans in turn, sent in submarines and medium bombers, attacking, bombing and strafing. . .

Ships, planes, and men from both sides were ground up in the bottomless hole of this battle, and many found a permanent home at the bottom of the Coral Sea.

This battle raged on for weeks, with no end in sight.

The Imperial War Cabinet demanded to know why my forces were taking so many casualties, and why our drive south had been stalled. I felt I had dishonoured my ancestors, my nation, and my brave and loyal soldiers. I knew that if our forces lost this Battle for Port Morseby, I would have to commit hari-kari. Hei

So I gambled on a throw of the dice. I committed everything I had: ships, planes and men. My three surface fleets bombarded Port Morseby for 10 straight days; my planes attacked its airfield, port facilities, and ground troops day and night; and my ground forces were ordered to shell the enemy positions. After several days of this offensive, I ordered my combat troops forward in a "Deliberate Attack". At first we took heavy losses, then those numbers fell, until finally, the Austalians began taking heavy losses.

Finally, I decided on an all-out attack: we would commit everything in one final Banzai charge. . .

Our 49,000 combat soldiers would attack 29,000 entrenched enemy troops. It would be either a complete victory, or a complete defeat.

I gave the order for our forces to attack. . .

While this attack took place, I sat in my office. I had prepared my Will, and I had taken my ceremonial sword from its place on the wall. I was prepared for the worst possible news. If we lost this battle, then our position in the South Pacific would be lost. . .

I waited. . .

Time stood still. . .

I existed in a vacuum, knowing neither the hour nor the day. . .

Finally, the phone rang. I picked up the receiver and closed my eyes. The caller spoke in excited words:

"Admiral! You have won a great victory! Port Morseby has fallen!"

I could not believe my ears. I dropped the receiver and opened my eyes; tears ran down my cheeks. . .

Yes, it was true. Our Imperial forces had assaulted and captured Port Morseby on July 10, 1942. It was a complete and total victory.

Here are the results:

Australia lost:

1) 34,137 men
2) 205 guns
3) 150 aircraft

Japan gained:

1) Port Morseby and complete control of New Guinea
2) 16,022 fuel
3) 15,303 supplies
4) a level 4 port and a level 5 airfield

This great victory gives our forces control in the west, and gives to Japan a stepping-stone for the invasion of Australia. It also frees up considerable forces, including 60,000 combat soldiers, engineers and other support troops as well as two massive surface fleets that includes the mighty Yamato, other battleships, heavy cruisers. . .

His Imperial Majesty has sent me his congratulations, and the War Cabinet is over-joyed at this news. They intend to send me several carriers in order to continue my conquests.

This victory is great, but I would also like to salute the brave Australian soldiers who fought in this battle. They were worthy opponents. This was the toughest battle I have ever faced in all my years as a soldier and as an officer. Indeed, the Australians fought like lions. I honour their courage and fortitude. Their dead shall be buried with honours, and their captive soldiers will be treated with honour and dignity.

This I vow as vice-Admiral of the Fleet, and as Commander of all Japanese Forces in the South Pacific.

Hei

According to Sun Tsu:

Therefore, those skilled in warfare establish positions that make them invincible and do not miss opportunities to attack the enemy. Therefore, a victorious army first obtains conditions for victory, then seeks to do battle. A defeated army first seeks to do battle, then obtains conditions for victory. Those skilled in warfare cultivate the Way, and preserve the Law, therefore, they govern victory and defeat.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 59

Japan - 51

Planes Lost

Allied - 801

Japan - 407

Bases Held

Allied - 12

Japan - 21

Score

Allied - 3,992

Japan - 9,395

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 14
- 11/15/2002 10:53:45 PM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoulBlazer
[B]So the USA has lost 4 carriers in the south pacific compared to only 1 CV and 1 CVL for Japan? Sounds like several of my games of Carrier Strike. :)

But really, even without Midway, the Americans will eventuly outnumber Japan in carriers and planes. There's a good article on CombinedFleet about Japan being the underdog, and what may have happened if Japan won big at Midway, and how the war would only have dragged on another year or so, and I agree wholeheartly with that.

At least you still have all your surface ships. It will take the US time to move in their last 2 carriers and maybe the Brits will send over one. You should be able to run wild for several months now and dig in for counterattacks in 1943. Once they get better planes and more troops, though, it gets a lot harder. [/B][/QUOTE]

SoulBlazer: Hi :)

You're right about the American war machine that's coming down the pipe. That is why I've been so aggressive in the opening months of this campaign. Victory for the Japanese is contained in the first few months of 1942.

I want to establish a tight perimeter, and keep the Allies off balance. Having played as the Allies in a previous campaign, I know what they have waiting for me. Their bombers can wreck havoc on my bases.

I'll try to keep my drive going and see what happens. . .

Cheers!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 15
- 11/17/2002 5:07:14 PM   
Von Rom

August 14, 1942

War news:

The Axis advance:

On July 1st, victorious German armies captured Sevastopol in the Crimea; on July 23rd, they over-ran Rostov-on-Don; and on August 3rd, they seized the vital oilfields in the Caucasus.

The Allies plan:

On August 12th, Churchill and Stalin met US and Free French Representatives in Moscow to discuss opening a Second Front against Germany; and on August 13th, General Montgomery took command of all British forces in Egypt.

Events in the South Pacific:

The Battle for Guadalcanal

This battle has raged for several weeks as the Americans launched a concentrated attack on Guadalcanal with two powerful surface fleets consisting of battleships, heavy cruisers and destroyers. These bombardment fleets were backed up by a carrier task force consisting of the Wasp.

This attack, while expected, occurred suddenly, temporarily catching our forces off guard. The Wasp's carrier planes attacked our shipping in the Slot, sinking several ships, including the heavy carrier Hiryu (which was already damaged from a previous battle). Our airfield on Lunga was also temporarily shut-down, as the American surface fleets bombarded it during the night.

After two days of attacks, the American carrier task force and surface ships were attempting to withdraw, when our air forces, based on Lunga, launched a withering attack against the enemy ships.

Our aircraft attacked the American surface ships first:

Japanese Air attack on American Ships:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
A6M3 Zero x 5
D3A Val x 13
B5N Kate x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 8 damaged
B5N Kate x 13 destroyed
B5N Kate x 15 damaged

LT M. Yamagami of DI-3 Daitai is KILLED

Allied Ships
DD Grayson, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DD Monssen
DD Stockton
DD Farenholt, Bomb hits 1
DD Hughes, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CA Salt Lake City, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Pensacola, Bomb hits 2
CL Phoenix
CA Astoria, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 4
D3A Val x 3
B5N Kate x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 2 destroyed
D3A Val x 1 damaged
B5N Kate x 5 destroyed
B5N Kate x 21 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Vincennes, Torpedo hits 1
CL Phoenix, Torpedo hits 1
CA Salt Lake City, on fire
DD Stockton
DD Gwin, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hughes, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A Val x 9
B5N Kate x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 3 damaged
B5N Kate x 5 destroyed
B5N Kate x 22 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Hammann, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Honolulu, Torpedo hits 1
DD Jarvis
DD O'Brien
BB North Carolina, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1
DD Ralph Talbot, Bomb hits 2, on fire

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then Japanese aircraft launched a massed attack against the American carrier, Wasp:

Japanese Air attack on American Carrier:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
D3A Val x 8
B5N Kate x 19

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
D3A Val x 2 destroyed
D3A Val x 6 damaged
B5N Kate x 6 destroyed
B5N Kate x 15 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Wasp, Bomb hits 1
CA Quincy
CA Louisville
DD Sims, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Air attack on American Carrier:

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 17

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CV Wasp
CLAA Atlanta
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outcome:

For the Americans, this air and naval battle resulted in the loss of the Wasp (with all of it aircraft), a light cruiser, and several destroyers.

In return, our Japanese forces lost the heavy carrier Hiryu, with severe damage inflicted on another heavy carrier Akagi. In addition, we lost several supply ships and planes.

This was a tactical victory for our forces since we stopped this combined American assault against our eastern flank.

However, this was merely the opening round, in what is shaping up to be a prolonged and bitter contest for Guadalcanal.

The Battle for Australia

Soon after our victory on New Guinea, our forces enjoyed several days rest before we put into effect:

Operation 'Tsunami': The Invasion of Australia

There was much debate about where our forces would be engaged next against the enemy. A few officers suggested that we attack the Americans at Luganville in the New Hebrides. But I advised that we attack Australia, while the Australians were still reeling from their great loss suffered at Port Morseby.

Here are my reasons and plans for attacking Australia:

1) In order for Japan to win against the Allies, it has to hold a southern base (below the 52nd parallel) until at least January 1, 1943. If Japan succeeds in doing this, then America will balk at the extent of territory it must re-capture, and will sue for peace. Townsville will be the main base that we will capture and hold until January, 1943. It is four times further from Noumea than is Luganville, and therefore, would be harder for the Allies to re-capture. By holding this base, and winning, by January 1, 1943, we will avoid the massive American build-up of ships and planes that would be sure to come later in 1943. A quick victory is essential.

2) Therefore, with 60,000 veteran combat soldiers on New Guinea, and with two powerful surface fleets not far from Cooktown, Australia, it is clear where we would strike next.

3) Our forces would invade Australia at three locations: Cooktown, Cairns, and Townsville. Our two surface fleets would bombard the various bases to destroy the aircraft stationed at the airfields, and our fighters, based on Gili Gili, would fly cover over our ships.

I gave the order, and our invasion proceeded at once. Under a hail of Allied air attacks from Cooktown, our troops stormed ashore at this base, attacked, and soon captured it, sending the defending Australians into a head-long retreat towards Cairns.

Then, we sent our troops to invade at Cairns, and further down the coast, we stormed ashore at Townsville.

Currently, we hold Cooktown, and are in the process of fighting for Cairns (with 12,000 soldiers) and for Townsville (with 30,000 soldiers). The Australians have large numbers of troops at both locations, so we do not expect to take these bases easily. I have ordered the transfer of heavy bombers to be based at Gili Gili and Cooktown, in order to help facilitate the capture of both Australian locations.

Here is just a small sample of the massive fighting that has taken place in the air, on the sea, and on land, over the past several weeks in the Battle for Australia:

BATTLE REPORTS:

Japanese Naval bombardment of Cooktown:

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 1 destroyed
B-17E Fortress x 3 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 1 destroyed
A-20B Havoc x 1 damaged

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 72

Allied Air attack on Japanese Ships, near Cooktown:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 10
Wirraway x 17
P-400 Airacobra x 9
P-40E Kittyhawk x 21
B-25D Mitchell x 15
B-26B Marauder x 15
A-20B Havoc x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort x 5 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder x 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder x 1 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna, Torpedo hits 2
CL Sendai
DD Ikazuchi
CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 1
BB Yamato
CA Takao
DD Shirakumo
DD Akigumo
DD Suzukaze

Allied Air attack on Japanee Ships, near Cooktown:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 6
Wirraway x 16
P-400 Airacobra x 9
P-40E Kittyhawk x 18
B-25D Mitchell x 12
B-26B Marauder x 12
A-20B Havoc x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-400 Airacobra x 1 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
BB Kongo
BB Yamato
CA Takao
CA Mikuma, Torpedo hits 1
BB Haruna
DD Akigumo
DD Yukikaze
DD Suzukaze

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
A-20B Havoc x 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress x 1 destroyed
P-400 Airacobra x 1 destroyed
P-400 Airacobra x 2 damaged

Airbase hits 23
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 56

Allied Air attack on Japanese Ships:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 6
P-39D Airacobra x 10
B-25D Mitchell x 6
B-26B Marauder x 3
A-20B Havoc x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort x 2 destroyed
Beaufort x 2 damaged
B-26B Marauder x 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder x 1 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma
CA Chokai
DD Hatsuyuki
CA Nachi, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Cooktown:

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
BB Yamato
CA Takao
DD Akigumo
DD Kazegumo
DD Takanami
DD Kuroshio
DD Hatsukaze
DD Maikaze

Allied Ships
AP Fuller, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AP Crescent City, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AP Largs Bay, Shell hits 10, and is sunk

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 2 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 1 damaged

Airbase hits 19
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 100

***END***

We expect that both the Battle for Guadalcanal and the Battle for Australia will rage for sometime. Both of these battles will consume prodigious quantities of men, planes, ships, and courage from both sides.

Japan must win these battles and secure victory by January 1, 1943. It cannot hope to win this war in the long run. America's military might, by the middle of 1943, will be too powerful for us to overcome.

The outcome hangs in the balance. . .

Hei

According to Sun Tsu:

The rush of torrential waters tossing boulders illustrates force. The strike of a bird of prey breaking the body of its target illustrates timing. Therefore, the force of those skilled in warfare is overwhelming, and their timing precise. Their force is like a drawn crossbow and their timing is like the release of the trigger.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 99

Japan - 72

Planes Lost

Allied - 1,218

Japan - 656

Bases Held

Allied - 11

Japan - 22

Score

Allied - 4,628

Japan - 11,900

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 16
- 11/18/2002 12:58:42 PM   
Von Rom

September 4, 1942

Our Imperial forces have enjoyed great success. All the bases we had planned to conquer in Australia, we have seized!

Here are the locations in Australia that we have captured:

1) Cairns fell on August 18th. The Australians lost 6,000 men.

2) Aytons capitulated on August 22nd. The Australians lost 5,700 men.

3) Townsville fell after heavy fighting on August 29. The Australians lost 10,000 soldiers.

4) Charter Towers fell on September 3rd. Here the Australians lost 27,000 men, and many aircraft.

Therefore, our Imperial forces have fulfilled the Mandate of Operation 'Tsunami': we have successfully invaded northern Australia and seized several bases, including Townsville, below the 52nd parallel.

IF we can hold onto these bases in Australia until January 1, 1943, then America will sue for peace, and Japan will win the war.

This is beyond even the wildest hopes of the Imperial War cabinet. Hei

The streets of Tokyo ring out with the cheers of our children and the singing of our women. The Emperor has declared this day, September 4, 1942, to be a National Holiday in Japan. I am to be decorated by the Imperial Majesty, himself.

Now, we will consolidate our position, and strengthen our bases. The Allies MUST come to us, if they hope to win this war.

Now, I must prepare my departure; I leave for Tokyo in the morning.

Hei

According to Sun Tsu:

Ask: If the enemy is large in number and advances, what should be the response? I say: Seize what he values, and he will do what you wish. The essential factor in warfare is speed. To take advantage of the enemy's lack of preparation, take unexpected routes to attack where the enemy is not prepared.

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 108

Japan - 80

Planes Lost

Allied - 1,398

Japan - 754

Bases Held

Allied - 8

Japan - 25

Score

Allied - 4,608

Japan - 16,279

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 17
- 11/18/2002 2:38:13 PM   
Von Rom

For those of you who have been following this AAR, I have a little something special for you.

The Japanese have conquered northern Australia, and will win the war by January, 1943, unless they are driven from Australian soil.

Do you have what it takes to take command of the Allied armies and drive the enemy from Australia? You face a desperate situation: your men are demoralized; you have lost a lot of ground; many of your ships and planes have been destroyed or damaged.

Can you lead your men from a desperate situation and succeed not only in driving the Japanese from Australia before January 1,1943, but also in taking the war further afield and driving them from New Guinea and Guadalcanal, until you face them in their own territory?

Now you have the chance:

Please find attached the current scenario I am playing, entitled "The Battle for Australia", dated Spetember 4, 1942. It is for v2.0, and it goes in the save folder, and occupies slot #003. You must play as the Allies and drive Japan from Australia before January 1, 1943.

Can you do it?

Good luck :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 18
- 11/19/2002 7:46:30 AM   
Von Rom

November 1, 1942

It appears that the Allies have hunkered down into "defense mode", and are expecting me to come after them . However, all I need to win is to hold onto Townsville by January 1, 1943 and I win automatically as the Japanese.

Soooo, I just don't think the Allies are going to attack me and re-capture the Australian bases before the end of 1942.

Therefore, rather than wait around, and clicking "end turn", I have decided to call the game a Decisive Japanese Victory.

The statistics tell the tale:

Statistics To Date:

Ships Lost

Allied - 108

Japan - 80

Planes Lost

Allied - 1,398

Japan - 754

Bases Held

Allied - 8

Japan - 25

Score

Allied - 4,608

Japan - 16,279 (!)

Many thanks to everyone who has followed along while I played this scenario and wrote this AAR. As always it was great fun :)

Suggestions for UV

1) I hope ground combat in UV gets tweaked some more. Currently, the battles are too lop-sided.

2) I would suggest unifying the Allied command when its under AI control. My invasion of Australia should have sent off alarm bells in the corridors of power in the Allied High Command; namely, the Americans should have transferred about 50% of their bombers, ships, and ground troops to Brisbane to head off the Japanese attacks. This is important since the game will end on January 1, 1943, if a base like Townsville is captured by the Japanese and held until then.

3) When the AI's planes are taking damage from AA when they bomb an enemy base, the AI should increase the elevation of those planes before it bombs again.

I think I may play another game. But this time I'll play scenario #19, on "hard", as the Allies with 90% ship commitment, against the Japanese with 200% ship commitment.

Cheers!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> The Rising Sun: An IJN AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI