Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 4:54:40 AM   
jeffs

Trailer is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1ogKV70-E

I am in Tokyo so I took my son and saw it...

I am no movie critic but it was decent to good...Certainly it is a movie that can be named..
Unlike certain movies discussing the start of the war

It focused much more on Yamamoto the man rather than on the war..Much of it was the political infighting
(him and Admiral Inoue against the Tripartate agreement) and also the threats of assassination against him.

It moved somewhat slowly as the emphasis was on conversation. Lots of talk of practice with nice shots of zeroes
practicing dogfights.

Clearly they did not have a huge budget as action scenes while competent were generally rather brief.. I think PH
was done in 3 minutes. (actually they did a nice scene where one of the pilots Yamamoto talks to gets jumped by a P-40..You see the P-40 fire...But then the scene jumps away..Only later is it clear that pilot never returns.

Midway battle has one complaint....The US attack seems to start with the dive bombers attacking (rather than the sacrificial slaughter of Midway planes and TBDs). Admiral Yamaguchi (what a wasted death) is played by a rather famous (as well as very tall) actor.

Should mention the P-38s in the last scene looked nice.

I should admirable constraint...When the first US bombs hit the Japanese carriers I did not stand up and cheer
Nothing overwhelming..Just a decent to solid look at Yamamoto..If you are really into battle scenes though you will be disappointed by the lack of volume. If you know his story well, no new info really comes out other than he seems like a swell guy who laughs a lot and locks scotch on occassion.

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Post #: 1
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 6:22:16 AM   
jeffs

What part they neglected to mention was his long term affair with a Geisha....
If they are going to skimp on battle scenes.....at least entertain us with some T&A!

It would, of course be historically correct

political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 2
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 11:52:27 AM   
kaleun

quote:

If they are going to skimp on battle scenes.....at least entertain us with some T&A!

Maybe in the Hollywood remake?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 3
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 12:34:34 PM   
LoBaron

Looks interesting. When was it released?

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 4
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 2:24:57 PM   
Vetamur

I had started a thread on this earlier (its currently on page 2).. here is what I said of it (By the way LoBaron it was released Dec.23rd..)

Hi guys... most of you dont know me. I was a one time player of WITP whose life just doesnt let him play anymore because I cant be around to do turns consistantly enough.

Anyway.. Im an American but I live in Japan.. 16 years now.

I see some had mentioned the movie on Isoroku Yamamoto that was released here on Dec.23rd and thought I would chime in on it.

The CG is pretty good..not seamless, but good to maintain your suspension of disbelief. The scene covering the attack on Pearl Harbor is brief considering its significance, but looks better for my money than anything Ive seen before.

Fans of this game will like the battle scenes, and like me lament they are too brief (and that is saying a lot because Im not an action movie junkie by any means).

Some things disappointed me. Modern Japanese just cant keep an enormous amount of contrived sappiness out of their movies. The death scene of Yamamoto is over wrought, unrealistic and rather cheapens the movie. There are some easy lapses into stereotypes. Some things that never happened are put in.. rather large events.

And some scenes that seem meant for the big screen ..never happen. Yamamoto threatening to resign his position if the Pearl Harbor raid isnt approved is an important character note, a dramatic moment.. a real life dramatic moment that a capable director would love to set.. Inexplicably, this never happens in the movie.

I dont know if the movie will get released on some level outside of the country.. but it is a must see for fans of the game just for the historical accuracy and small hints of how things are on the Japanese home front. It is MILES AND MILES above the awful "Otokotachi no Yamato" movie from 5 years or so back.. (Men's Yamato...dont know what it got called in English..the movie about the battleship Yamato). That movie made me want to punch someone. I enjoy living in Japan for the most part..but the acting and script writing..and directing in movies since the 1980s is just..bad.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 5
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 3:50:41 PM   
dr.hal

Jeff a good write up, thanks... I'll be watching for its release here. Do you know if there are plans on dubbing it, or will it remain in Japanese with subtitles? As for the T and A.... I should think that would be in the sequel..... "Yamamoto Does Yokohama".....

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 6
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/4/2012 7:38:06 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

Maybe in the Hollywood remake?

God forbid.

Knowing Holloweed, it would make it just about the relationship with the geisha, then show Yamamoto himself at the controls of a torpedo bomber bearing down on a Nimitz Class aircraft carrier in the harbor.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 7
RE: The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! - 1/5/2012 9:31:31 AM   
jeffs

quote:

Some things disappointed me. Modern Japanese just cant keep an enormous amount of contrived sappiness out of their movies. The death scene of Yamamoto is over wrought, unrealistic and rather cheapens the movie. There are some easy lapses into stereotypes. Some things that never happened are put in.. rather large events.

And some scenes that seem meant for the big screen ..never happen. Yamamoto threatening to resign his position if the Pearl Harbor raid isnt approved is an important character note, a dramatic moment.. a real life dramatic moment that a capable director would love to set.. Inexplicably, this never happens in the movie.

I dont know if the movie will get released on some level outside of the country.. but it is a must see for fans of the game just for the historical accuracy and small hints of how things are on the Japanese home front. It is MILES AND MILES above the awful "Otokotachi no Yamato" movie from 5 years or so back.. (Men's Yamato...dont know what it got called in English..the movie about the battleship Yamato). That movie made me want to punch someone. I enjoy living in Japan for the most part..but the acting and script writing..and directing in movies since the 1980s is just..bad.

I agree with virtually all of this... The death scene was the one battle scene that was too long (not so much the air battle but the camera lingering all over him and the hit Betty for 2-3 minutes....).

And Japanese overdue the sappy crap...Sad to say...But they love maudlin...Painfully so.

And agreed on the PH threat to quit...It would have fit very naturally into the rest of the movie. And it was a good window into the Japanese psyche.

The PH battle scenes were very cool..Very brief....
The brief battle scenes work well in some cases...There was one where a squadron leader was bounced by a US fighter in a zoom and boom attack....The zoom and boom part was like 3 seconds long...That said..I am sure much air combat was of this kind of ambush and the guy is dead before he knows what hit him....

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Isoroku Yamamoto Movie-Seen! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI