Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 10:35:08 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

You better just stick to land actions, look what you did with the CW

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this? Is this in support of my Germany land actions? Or is it an argument against my CW combined actions?

I won't be offended either way, but I don't really know what you mean.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 811
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:12:04 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Well, because you asked. :) It was a dig, meaning I dont think you played the CW very well. Please dont take anything I am about to say wrong, just some opinions, and I havnt played WIF in over 10 years so I cant consider my myself an expert by any means. I am also desperately awaiting this game, so I thank you for posting all this, its truly appreciated to keep my interest (and others Im sure) up until its released. OK, now for my critique.

Granted you had a poor CW setup, I can handle that but you had many turns to rectify that situation. Overall I think you have been reacting to the german moves way too much, you havn't been able to cause them any problems, or grab a strategic initiative. How is it possible that the suez and Gibralter could possibly fall during the same game turn. Where are the bombers and fighters, where are the troops, protecting Morroco, what importance is casablanca, zip. It seems that you are playing a turn at a time and not looking 2,3 or six turns down the road for the CW. The game is more than about calculating attack-defence odds although thats important. Its strategic mosty and most importantly. The CW is very powerful, they can move surprisingly fast, but they should not be used to show up at the last moment to get attacked, or piecemeal. You can't fix a situation at the last moment if you know what I mean. West of the Suez could be loaded (well a relative term to be sure) with, something, the canadian armour at least. And how the hell are the Italians kicking their butt everywhere. If you were to truly defend gibralter the straights would never have gone to the italians and you could keep re-inforcing. Do I see four transports in the CW, what pray tell are they doing just sitting there. Where are the south africans and new zealanders and Indians for that matter. LOL, I'm depressed watching. I know your mainly playing for the axis, its a solitaire game after all so your forgiven :)

Anyways, phew, glad i got that rant out :) Thanks very much for posting, I'll shut up now.

Well, one last point, do you really want to expend an offensive chit for Germany for Morroco. Not sure thats a good idea. Make sure you take it, but think three or four turns from now, and start deploying the for it. And fix those dam CW dice rolls will ya :)

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 812
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:32:51 PM   
WIF_Killzone

So, watcha going to do with the CW?

Post #: 813
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:35:31 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Well, because you asked. :) It was a dig, meaning I dont think you played the CW very well. Please dont take anything I am about to say wrong, just some opinions, and I havnt played WIF in over 10 years so I cant consider my myself an expert by any means. I am also desperately awaiting this game, so I thank you for posting all this, its truly appreciated to keep my interest (and others Im sure) up until its released. OK, now for my critique.

Granted you had a poor CW setup, I can handle that but you had many turns to rectify that situation. Overall I think you have been reacting to the german moves way too much, you havn't been able to cause them any problems, or grab a strategic initiative. How is it possible that the suez and Gibralter could possibly fall during the same game turn. Where are the bombers and fighters, where are the troops, protecting Morroco, what importance is casablanca, zip. It seems that you are playing a turn at a time and not looking 2,3 or six turns down the road for the CW. The game is more than about calculating attack-defence odds although thats important. Its strategic mosty and most importantly. The CW is very powerful, they can move surprisingly fast, but they should not be used to show up at the last moment to get attacked, or piecemeal. You can't fix a situation at the last moment if you know what I mean. West of the Suez could be loaded (well a relative term to be sure) with, something, the canadian armour at least. And how the hell are the Italians kicking their butt everywhere. If you were to truly defend gibralter the straights would never have gone to the italians and you could keep re-inforcing. Do I see four transports in the CW, what pray tell are they doing just sitting there. Where are the south africans and new zealanders and Indians for that matter. LOL, I'm depressed watching. I know your mainly playing for the axis, its a solitaire game after all so your forgiven :)

Anyways, phew, glad i got that rant out :) Thanks very much for posting, I'll shut up now.

Well, one last point, do you really want to expend an offensive chit for Germany for Morroco. Not sure thats a good idea. Make sure you take it, but think three or four turns from now, and start deploying the for it. And fix those dam CW dice rolls will ya :)

I don't take any offense. The fact is that I have not played well as the CW. But please do understand that this is my first full game of WiF of any kind that was intended to run long term. I'm a complete greenhorn. You've got to expect mistakes.

The only thing I disagree with is that I've been "playing for the Axis". I did run the Balkans scenario in the Axis favor, but that is part of a test I am running on the game -- to make sure that all Rumanian units can leave Rumania if they become a full Axis ally. The rest of what may be viewed as "playing for the Axis" is the fact that I am much more comfortable with the land game than the naval game.

As to the question about transports, they haven't been just "sitting there", as you say. Maybe I've used them incorrectly, but I've used them. Inexperience is to blame here. I'm sorry about that, but it's kind of like the business world -- you can't get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job.

In reference to the O-chit, I'm leaning toward using it. I took a risk last impulse, thinking I might need the chit to take Gibraltar. Turns out I didn't, but now all of my HQs are disorganized, as are the units in Gibraltar and Tangier. It's still very early in the turn (Impulse #4 is about to begin), and I don't think I can take Morocco without those HQs . . . and I also can't redeploy easily without them. Additionally, they all cost Oil to reorganize. If I flip them all now and if I only need a few to reorganize units, then I save a good deal of Oil which I can put to better use later.

I am thinking 2-3 turns in advance, though I don't always explain it all. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with either the CW or the USA to do that successfully yet.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 814
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:39:39 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Thanks, appreciate you're comments, the CW is a bugger to play well, it'l take a while. Re. offensive chit, dont think the version of the game I used to play allowed reorganizing HQ's (or I never used it), now I see the point of it.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 815
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:40:43 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

So, watcha going to do with the CW?

In impulse #4? I'm going to prepare to evacuate the Med, rail the Delhi MIL to Bombay, debark the MIL from the Red Sea into Suez, and pull HQ-A Wavell back a hex or two, keeping the Italians ZOCed, but also maintaining supply to him. Yes, this means a Combined Action, and that means I probably can't reposition troops in Morocco, but given the choice between saving a not yet threatened unit in Morocco and saving 1/3 of the fleet, I think the choice is obvious.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 816
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/6/2012 11:53:53 PM   
WIF_Killzone

For the CW think "leap-frogging", you load inf-armour on transports...and move as far as you can, safely, into the zero box, and then, next impulse, you move into a port, pick up an other transport, and repeat. Going around the horn of africa in this way can move quite fast. Even those slow transports are quite useful, keep your fast ones close to the island and the slow ones around the horn (if you still own it :))

I dont mean in this impulse, I mean strategically? What are their medium and long terms strategic plans?

Saving the 1/3 of the fleet, holy crap, yes, that's important :) Can you hold the suez major port, if so, you probably don't have to worry, just work it backwards how you will get them out of there. Although, yes, the CW is in dire straights.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 817
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 12:07:16 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

For the CW think "leap-frogging", you load inf-armour on transports...and move as far as you can, safely, into the zero box, and then, next impulse, you move into a port, pick up an other transport, and repeat. Going around the horn of africa in this way can move quite fast. Even those slow transports are quite useful, keep your fast ones close to the island and the slow ones around the horn (if you still own it :))

I dont mean in this impulse, I mean strategically? What are their medium and long terms strategic plans?

Saving the 1/3 of the fleet, holy crap, yes, that's important :) Can you hold the suez major port, if so, you probably don't have to worry, just work it backwards how you will get them out of there. Although, yes, the CW is in dire straights.

I do know the "leap-frogging" trick, but lack the tranksports at the moment do do it.

As for medium and long term strategic plans, I have to redesign them. The original intent was to make sure the Med stayed open. At best, Suez can be held until the end of the turn, but not likely any longer than that. So, I can't actually answer the question properly. Short term, though, is to force the Germans and Italians to work for their latest goals.

I don't like throwing good money after bad money, as they say, so I'm unlikely to reinforce Morocco any more and any Middle-East reinforcements will be heading to Aden and Kuwait (if I can get them there before Iraq is aligned). Other than that, it's time to build up the air forces. That will have to be the basis of my long-term strategy when I redesign it.

My building program has included additional transports since about two or three turns ago.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 818
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 12:19:08 AM   
WIF_Killzone

OK, before the turn ends can you redeploy your unsused transports to create a good convoy train around Africa?

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 819
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 12:23:28 AM   
Klydon

No harm, no foul on the CW. I don't have a ton of experience with the game either and most of my experience is from 25 years ago or so, although I have tried to keep up with the expansions, etc.

IMO, I think the CW is one of the hardest positions to play, especially after the fall of France and before the US gets in.

Post #: 820
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 6:52:29 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

OK, before the turn ends can you redeploy your unsused transports to create a good convoy train around Africa?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Assuming the Allies lose Morocco, getting from the UK to S. Africa may be the most difficult leg. I'll have to study the map to see if I can get the transport convoy going in that direction. It may actually be easier (and safer) to use the Panama Canal instead.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 821
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 8:19:20 AM   
JeffroK

Good to see the back seat drivers, who have never played this version of WIF are so full of advice.

I would prefer the game to be fully tested, even seemingly dumb strategies by a newbie to make sure the game works rather than get something which needs patching from day 1.

Imagine the hue & cry by me if something didnt work because it was assumed on perfect players played the game.

Keep going Red Prince.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 822
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 8:21:35 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Dire Straits?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 823
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 9:01:53 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Dire Straits?

No singing, please !!!

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 824
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 9:09:12 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Good to see the back seat drivers, who have never played this version of WIF are so full of advice.

I would prefer the game to be fully tested, even seemingly dumb strategies by a newbie to make sure the game works rather than get something which needs patching from day 1.

Imagine the hue & cry by me if something didnt work because it was assumed on perfect players played the game.

Keep going Red Prince.

Thank you, Jeff.

I hope Steve doesn't mind me telling you this, and I don't know if it's actually true or not, but when I applied to be a beta-tester, I think one of the reasons he took me was because I told him that I like to try things that most people wouldn't even consider when I play games like this. I figured that converting a game of this magnitude to binary decisions would mean everything needs to be accounted for -- even crazy possibilities that would "never actually happen" in a game.

Basically, what you said is what I told him, and I've been doing my best to fill that role. (And I think it's paid off in a number of fixes Steve has had to make).

I like the back seat drivers, or armchair Generals. I can get cranky now and then at the end of the day, but I usually try to apologize afterwards if I've been particularly grumpy. It's all fun for me in the end, and these folks are helping me to learn the game.

I owned WiF FE for 15 years before starting beta-testing in April. I read it 2-3 times a year (the RAW, I mean), but it just doesn't prepare you for the realities of the game.

I'm eager to continue, but I might not today. It depends on how my urges play out. This game takes a lot of thought, and though I haven't mentioned it in a while, I'm still in that recovery period that follows pneumonia, so I have to try to pace myself.

If not today, expect an update tomorrow.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/7/2012 10:19:19 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 825
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 2:36:18 PM   
USSLockwood

Red Prince, don't be discouraged.  My first game playing the CW, I lost Gibraltar on the third impulse.  In my latest game, I lost Suez in 1940.
The CW's lot is to grimly hold the line, waiting for Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 826
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 3:18:14 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktor

Red Prince, don't be discouraged.  My first game playing the CW, I lost Gibraltar on the third impulse.  In my latest game, I lost Suez in 1940.
The CW's lot is to grimly hold the line, waiting for Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you lose Gibraltar in the 3rd impulse? No units starting there and an Italian Surprise DOW?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 827
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 3:44:10 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Do I see four transports in the CW, what pray tell are they doing just sitting there.

I think you are mistaken here? Those ships in the UK are convoy points and not TRS.
All CW TRS are being used at this time...

Peter

Post #: 828
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 3:49:06 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Your right, they are convoys, just looked again, boy do I feel dumb.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 829
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 4:23:13 PM   
Red Prince

The report so far on the Allied impulse . . . see, even I can't stay away from it. The CW did, indeed, take a Combined Action, using the naval moves to drop the W. Med fleet down from the 4 Box to the 0 Box, and to evacuate the E. Med fleet to Aden. I decided against railing the Delhi MIL to Bombay, selecting the INF I had in Chittagong instead. It's a better unit, and will be a better reinforcement.

The three land moves (I forgot there were 3, thinking there were only 2) are a semi-interesting problem. I'll need one of them to debark the MIL from the Red Sea into Suez, and another to move HQ-A Wavell. The image below shows the options I considered. I think I'm going to go with the blue arrow, and not the red one. The reason for this, is that if the Italians are feeling frisky, that desert hex could mean a 4:1 attack on Wavell (with a 20% chance at 5:1), and the river line will help him. He needs all the help he can get, with no naval shore bombardment at his beck and call.

I considered the hexes to the east of both shown here, but one would let Cairo fall (North), and the other would let the Italians close the Suez Canal (South), so I can't retreat that far. The problem I face here is that next impulse is going to have to be either a Naval Action or another Combined Action, probably the latter, in order to get the rest of the fleet out of the Med before the canal is closed. With either of the hexes I have to choose from, Italy is 2 impulses away from either taking Cairo, closing the canal, or both. Ideally, I want to get both Wavell and his reinforcing MIL into the same hex before an attack comes. That's probably going to have to be Suez, since Cairo would put them both OOS once Suez is taken. This is why next impulse should also probably be a Combined Action. Otherwise, the Italians might find a way to pick off one of these two units.

However, if I double-stack Suez, it's likely that Egypt, Palestine, and Transjordan will all collapse this turn. The good thing, though, is that it is unlikely that Iraq can be activated, since Italy will need to screen Suez until it can get more forces to the area (which might come in the form of German LND).

Anyway, that's for consideration after the next Axis impulse, not for now. Here's what I have to choose now, and I think blue is the way to go. As the CW, I don't trust the Axis when it comes to taking chances. I will not, however, reveal to you whether or not Italy would be willing to take that chance or not.

As for the 3rd move, it'll probably be in Morocco, but I'm not sure what or where yet.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 830
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 4:30:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Dire Straits?

No singing, please !!!
Warspite1

A lovestruck Romeo,
Sings a street-Suss serenade,
Laying everybody low,
With a love song that he made.......

Ooh NO singing.....sorry

Seriously though, keep up the good work Red Prince . I wish I could add value here, but as I last played many years ago under the 5th Edition rules and maps, there is little, if anything, I can add .

This AAR is extremely valuable - and frankly how you play is of secondary importance.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 831
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 4:36:44 PM   
Red Prince

For those who really want to know, I used my 3rd land move to reinforce Rabat with the Canadian MIL that started in Casablanca. The image below shows the 24 CW factors in Morocco (plus a 3 factor disorganized French CAV that can't co-operate with the CW):

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 832
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 4:41:05 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

A lovestruck Romeo,
Sings a street-Suss serenade,
Laying everybody low,
With a love song that he made.......

Ooh NO singing.....sorry

Seriously though, keep up the good work Red Prince . I wish I could add value here, but as I last played many years ago under the 5th Edition rules and maps, there is little, if anything, I can add .

This AAR is extremely valuable - and frankly how you play is of secondary importance.

You just had to do it, didn't you?

You're lucky I like you, fella . . . actually, I thought I was in for a thrashing from you as soon as you saw that Gibraltar failed to hold and Egypt is under the gun to the point that 1/3 of the entire CW fleet nearly got trapped in the Med.

So, I'll forgive your singing . . . this time.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 833
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 4:55:34 PM   
composer99

If I was Italy, I'd consider attacking Wavell as long as I had a better than 50% chance of killing him. There's a MIL and an inf division present, which covers the cheap losses if things go bad.

As for what Wavell should do, I second the notion that he moves into the Delta hex. It ZoCs the Italian forces and keeps them from reaching Cairo and the canal.

If the Italians don't attack Wavell, I think he should run for the clappers down the coast of Egypt, with a view to getting picked up by a TRS in SO40.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 834
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 5:04:24 PM   
composer99

Thanks to Warspite I now have that particular Dire Straits song stuck in my head. Good thing it's a good song (as compared to, say, "Friday").

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 835
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 5:10:05 PM   
Red Prince

I've decided that Lanchow can't be held, not without Mao active, so that means I have to try to save Sian. Below are the before and after shots of how I used the 5 Soviet land moves to try to get that done.

I know this image is extremely degraded in quality, but I wanted to let you see exactly what I did without having to jump from post to post. The idea behind this is that I can start to creat double-stacks that will be tough for Japan to destroy. I wasn't able to form any of them in the mountains, and I'm counting on the fact that Japan still needs another impulse ro two to get the East front units activated again. This is a holding action, nothing more . . . buying a few extra impulses, if at all possible.

If I attempted to reinforce Lanchow instead, there would be little chance of making double-stacks of Communist Chinese, and some could easily be put out of supply. This also means that if that CAV really wants to take Lanchow, it will end up OOS, too. The troops Japan has available are going to find their supply lines stretched very thin for the next few impulses, and they'll have to get very creative to make any attacks at all. In the meantime, the Communists can try to improve thier position a little.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 836
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 5:11:58 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

If I was Italy, I'd consider attacking Wavell as long as I had a better than 50% chance of killing him. There's a MIL and an inf division present, which covers the cheap losses if things go bad.

As for what Wavell should do, I second the notion that he moves into the Delta hex. It ZoCs the Italian forces and keeps them from reaching Cairo and the canal.

If the Italians don't attack Wavell, I think he should run for the clappers down the coast of Egypt, with a view to getting picked up by a TRS in SO40.

Just curious, does that 50% chance include staying organized? or is it just to gain his destruction? There's still a lot more turn ahead, and there's a lot to do in this particular arena.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 837
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 5:23:00 PM   
Red Prince

Ah, isn't summer nice . . . the weather for Impulse #5:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 838
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 6:46:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

I've decided that Lanchow can't be held, not without Mao active, so that means I have to try to save Sian.

I think it was a mistake to let the Japanese get Lanchow without a fight. Japan would have to use alot of forces to get the city. Now he is free to put his focus on Sian instead.

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/7/2012 6:47:23 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 839
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/7/2012 6:59:29 PM   
Orm

It's a mystery to me - the game commences

For the usual fee - plus expenses

Edit: I just had to do it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/7/2012 7:00:00 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI