Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Once More into the Breach

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once More into the Breach Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 12:58:55 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

Ref Vehicles and Armaments.
You need more of the former, no more of the later. We ended up by about Aug 1942 with:

259 vehicle points
95 Armaments producing (500 turned off)

Both are about right, although we can now aford to turn off some of our vehicles as we fnally have a decent surplus, it took a long time though.

We converted armaments factories to vehicles, and have 8 armaments factories (about 500 points worth)turned off.

In March 1943 we have 9000 vehicle points spare and about 144,000 armament points spare.

Cheers

Rob

+1

And depending upon you battle outcomes, you might even need more. But, I target VEH=250 as a minimum. It is one of the things that eats up my economic expansion in the early game. I figure I can only expand 15 factories at a time and still have some supply gain. With 6 VEH expanding for almost the first month, that leaves only 9 engine/ac factories to expand. Decisions. Decisions. as to which ones expand.

That's truly amazing. How do you guys ever save HI for the future? I usually don't worry about supply too much the first month. I know I'm going to pull a lot out to send to the SRA. I've already shipped out ~200k supply and it's only 18 Dec in the game.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 451
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:03:26 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

...Getting the A6M5 in Spring of 42 is shocking. Gotta think about that some more. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a small factory that I could convert. ...

Well, you can get a fully repaired R&D factory(s) converted to A6M5 in early summer of '42 to start to accumulate R&D points on the A6M5. It will still take many months (dependent upon how many R&D factories you put on this) to actually get the A6M5. It is scheduled to arrive spring 43, so if you have 100 pts/month it will still take 6 months to arrive or about Oct 42, which is before you can realisitically advance the A6M3a through research. That is a huge improvement and puts you that much closer to getting your first armored Zeke (A6M3c).

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 452
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:05:17 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

Before anyone asks, yes, I do plan on invading Australia. The intent is to use 14 Army (48 & 16 Div, 65 Bde), 16 Army (2 & 38 Div) and SAA (4 & 21 Div). Eventually, 14 Army will defend Australia, 16 Army will defend Java and the SAA divisions will be the SRA reserve. The 25 Army (5 & 18 Div) will defend Palembang and Malaya.

The goal is to have all operations complete (with the exception of Australia most likely) by the end of Mar 42 (when the invasion bonus ends).

Hi Mike,

I may have missed this somewhere, but is this a full blown invasion of Australia with the aim to conquer it completely or a typical holding and delay type invasion?

Just the north to delay the inevitable. If I can keep it till fall of 42, I'll have considered it a success. My second goal is to not lose any major ground units there.

I'd like to try an invasion of Perth in my next game as far as Kalgoolerie (SP?). I think you could eliminate one axis of advance for quite some time and be in a perfect position to interdict any efforts to supply Australia from Cape Town. I'd almost hit Perth first, as soon as Northern Java fell, and then backfill towards the North. Combine this with an early move on PM and Horn Island and you'd effectively close off the entire DEI to reinforcement or US naval interdiction. It might further slow the buildup of Northeastern Australia as well. Just some thoughts.

I look at Australia as a defensive operation. It's strictly to hold his bombers off a bit. If it's successful for 6 months, I'm happy. An invasion of Perth is (in my eyes) offensive in nature. While I'd love to try it, it's not in my nature. My goal is to conserve forces to slow him down. It may not be the best approach, but it's my way. Someday though, I'd love to try something like that. Let me get through one campaign first.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 453
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:05:43 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

That's truly amazing. How do you guys ever save HI for the future? I usually don't worry about supply too much the first month. I know I'm going to pull a lot out to send to the SRA. I've already shipped out ~200k supply and it's only 18 Dec in the game.

I can usually start saving HI in Jan 42. It the supply gate that hits me the most. 1000 supply per factory. You only have so much supply in the HI to start and you have to use a good chunk of that for your offensive. That means you really have to use the "Mike Solli" school of slow changes to keep from crashing your economy.

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 454
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:07:53 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Man, I gotta watch this one unfold. In my first game as Japan I am already bogged down in Java and Burma. I will be taking some serious notes! Go get'em Mike!

Burma, ah Burma. Just today Ted, my opponent, and I were exchanging emails and he described Burma as a slow motion slugfest. Boy ain't that the truth!

Someone (ny59giants, Chickenboy or Q-Ball I suspect), in my previous game suggested that I land a force on Java early, just to get a bridgehead. I did, at Kalidjati. I believe it was a division and some armor, but don't quote me on it. I ended up cutting the island in 2 and separating his forces. Interior lines and all that for me. When I landed the main force (a couple more divisions) I was able to defeat him in detail. North first then south. I plan on doing something similar this game, but I'll probably land somewhere else. Kaldjati is perfect, but I don't want to do the same thing twice. He may be waiting for it. I suspect he'll mine that base.

Dunno who it was, but coulda been me. Kalidjati is a perfect base for an early war IJ landing: within LRCAP of Oosthaven and Palembang, open hex, on the rail lines. If you can land unopposed, it's a great jump-off point.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 455
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:13:14 AM   
Mike Solli

Doing it slow isn't really slow. It's the same speed as everyone else, but I just increase in small increments so it's complete in a week or so, with a few exceptions like the Zero and Oscar Ic. I know I'm going to increase them regardless so I just do it. I just sent off the 18 Dec turn and I'm down 450k supply from the start. About 150-200k is currently on ships so it's not really gone. Still, I'm cautious about any more increases to my infrastructure for awhile. Taking the SRA is going to cost a lot more supply.

I'm up 13k HI points. Not a lot but every increase in factories costs HI. I took a big bite on 7 Dec. It took a while just to come back to the starting amount.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 456
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:34:39 AM   
Mike Solli

16 Dec 41

Sub War

The I-17 caught and sank an xAKL off Hawaii.

5 Fleet

I captured Adak today. I started construction on the airfield. Ted sent me an email thanking me for giving him the Adak bombing range.

4 Fleet

Engineers are on the way to Wake. The place is trashed. It'll take awhile just to repair the damage, let alone build forts. Right now there are exactly 0 engineers on Wake. Poor planning on my part.

SE Fleet

The Guards Brigade is still a couple of days out. Waiting for them.

China

Nothing new to report.

Hong Kong

Another DA resulted in 1:1 odds, but there fort level is 0. That's good news. My losses were 636(1) to 645(48) for the Brits. They're slowly being worn down. All three battalions are combat ineffective and the Kowloon Bde is down to 91 AV. I'll bombard a day to give my infantry some time to rest.

Philippines

Nothing to report. 48 Div and 65 Bde still enroute to Clark field. They'll reach it tomorrow.

Mindinao

I landed at Zamboanga (16 NG) and Oroquieta (16 Div). I took Butuan in a DA losing 8(0) casualties and trashing the 103 PA Inf Reg for 900(91). They retreated to the south. There are 3 units to the west at Catabuan and 1 unit to the NE. The armor regiments are heading NE to clean out that unit.

Ted sank an xAK at Butuan (fortunately empty) with more of those damn Do-24s.

Borneo

The Brunei invasion force (a NG) lands tomorrow. A 56k supply TF arrives at Miri tomorrow as well. I can finally start to repair the 150 oil.

Malaya

Wonderful day today, for the most part. The RAF has had it's back broken. A force of a few bombers led by 25 Buffalos went after my Kuantan invasion force. 34 Zeros and 7 Oscar Ics shot down 13 of them. I'm beginning to get more elite pilots. Banzai! They no longer are effective. I landed at Kuantan but the Mersing invasion force was still 1 hex out. They'll land tomorrow.

Other stuff

The Pensacola was reported to have sunk. We'll see....

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 457
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 3:08:54 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I captured Adak today. I started construction on the airfield. Ted sent me an email thanking me for giving him the Adak bombing range.

He doesn't have much that can get there, and he has to improve those AF's a lot to be able to bomb at all .... they'll make good fighter training platforms if he sends them there.

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 458
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 3:28:58 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

... Still, I'm cautious about any more increases to my infrastructure for awhile. Taking the SRA is going to cost a lot more supply. ..

Yep. What's the point of taking all of that HI and oil if you can't repair it?

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 459
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 3:29:57 AM   
SuluSea

Hi Mike I have a few R&D charts for personal use there's a couple adjustments I would make in retrospect but I'll be glad to post both for you and the contributors of your AAR at the very least if it gets a player thinking about their own R&D strategy it's a good thing.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 460
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 3:46:09 AM   
ny59giants

The Americans have the BIG 11th Air HQ at Anchorage that he can buy out relatively cheap and move to Cold Bay or even closer to Adak. When I say BIG, she has 180 Aviation Support. That should be large enough to support a few air groups worth of B-17s.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 461
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 4:02:59 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

The Americans have the BIG 11th Air HQ at Anchorage that he can buy out relatively cheap and move to Cold Bay or even closer to Adak. When I say BIG, she has 180 Aviation Support. That should be large enough to support a few air groups worth of B-17s.

Cold Bay starts as 1(2) ... so it will take a while to build up. At 14 hex range, his B-17's can reach. Not sure anything else can early in the game. Very hard to protect them up there. As Nemo states: easiest way to kill 4E's is on the ground.

For me, if the allies want to play up here its good. Adak is the best base around at 5/4 ... means when fully built you can re-load almost everything (lvl 8 port) and have a solid lvl7 AF to support your naval op's. Granted it won't stand more than 5 minutes against the allied death star in '44, but until then .... guess we'll see what Ted does.

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 462
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 4:07:24 AM   
Dan Nichols

Fun in the frozen north

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 463
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 4:20:58 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Hi Mike I have a few R&D charts for personal use there's a couple adjustments I would make in retrospect but I'll be glad to post both for you and the contributors of your AAR at the very least if it gets a player thinking about their own R&D strategy it's a good thing.

Please post them. R&D is not one of my strong suits. Thanks!

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 464
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 4:25:23 AM   
Mike Solli

Gotta get up early for drill. A couple of quick notes. I just ran the 18 Dec turn so I'm 2 turns ahead of the AAR. Hong Kong fell. I learned that if a TF is following another one, the one doing the following will not unload. Ah well, just a day's delay, at Kuantan and Mersing. They're safely ashore now. Anyway, I'll catch up tomorrow night. Night all.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 465
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 9:54:56 AM   
obvert

Maybe run a fast transport over with a small SNLF just to get Cold Bay on the cheap before the Allies have anything there, and so he can't just fly in support and build it up easily?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 466
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 10:05:21 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I learned that if a TF is following another one, the one doing the following will not unload.

Really?

interesting. Sometimes mine do and sometimes mine don't. I've got a couple in transit now ... have to watch the outcomes.

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 467
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 1:38:41 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Cold Bay starts as 1(2) ... so it will take a while to build up. At 14 hex range, his B-17's can reach. Not sure anything else can early in the game. Very hard to protect them up there. As Nemo states: easiest way to kill 4E's is on the ground.

For me, if the allies want to play up here its good. Adak is the best base around at 5/4 ... means when fully built you can re-load almost everything (lvl 8 port) and have a solid lvl7 AF to support your naval op's. Granted it won't stand more than 5 minutes against the allied death star in '44, but until then .... guess we'll see what Ted does.

If you want to try this, I'll take you up as an Allied player.
I mentioned using Cold Bay to start with and then there is a dot base just next door that has a larger AF potential rather than going over to Umnak which can go to size 8 AF, but has a very small port. Cold Bay is exactly 14 hexes away from Adak, so Zero op losses will be high at max extended range. By late '42, I can make it very uncomfortable for Japan.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 468
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 2:11:30 PM   
SuluSea

Here's an engine and airframe image I stitched together

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 469
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 2:14:41 PM   
SuluSea

Here's an R&D image I put together that shows upgrades relative to airframes I intend to research at some point or have interest in.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 470
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 2:31:16 PM   
SuluSea

Here's what my starting research looked like last game. I subscribe to the 30 is the sweetspot theory that more experienced players than myself have tested so the plan is to have everything built up to the 30 threshold.

I'm not a fan of idle R&D factories and tolerating the facilities doing little for years are something my plans have tried to eliminate. It will cost more HI and supply to run it this way but I broke the R&D up into pre 1/44 and post 1/44 to try and run a more dynamic program, as airframes start to come online the plan is to let one or a few factories convert to production depending on the model and the date of the war effort and the R&D that doesn't convert to production will either be moved along the upgrade path or invested in other models such as the KI-84 line and so on. I tried to use the closest model to production to benefit from more facilities repairing and as they repair I'll move along the upgrade path. If someone finds this helpful great, it's not the easiest way to run R&D but with improvements that's sure to come with more experience I believe it's a better alternative than idle factories for years.   

Clear as mud, eh.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 1/7/2012 2:33:36 PM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 471
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 7:43:37 PM   
Argos

Thank you for posting those SuluSea. I'm new to the empire and these will be greatly helpful as I try and setup my first PBEM.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 472
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 8:36:54 PM   
Cribtop

Great stuff, Sulu!

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 473
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 10:43:45 PM   
jrcar

You don't have a future to save for unless you are first victorious on the batlefield...

You can then turn that stuff off.

In March 1943 we are saving 2500-3000 HI a day, have a total of 580,000... I don't even know how much is enough :)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

Ref Vehicles and Armaments.
You need more of the former, no more of the later. We ended up by about Aug 1942 with:

259 vehicle points
95 Armaments producing (500 turned off)

Both are about right, although we can now aford to turn off some of our vehicles as we fnally have a decent surplus, it took a long time though.

We converted armaments factories to vehicles, and have 8 armaments factories (about 500 points worth)turned off.

In March 1943 we have 9000 vehicle points spare and about 144,000 armament points spare.

Cheers

Rob

+1

And depending upon you battle outcomes, you might even need more. But, I target VEH=250 as a minimum. It is one of the things that eats up my economic expansion in the early game. I figure I can only expand 15 factories at a time and still have some supply gain. With 6 VEH expanding for almost the first month, that leaves only 9 engine/ac factories to expand. Decisions. Decisions. as to which ones expand.

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 474
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/7/2012 10:49:38 PM   
jrcar

Also I'll add we did very little R&D changes, or increases (just the basic most obvious ones) until March 1942. By then we were fairly secure and good spend supply and HI to do the R&D changes. We over did it on Frank, but the rest are about right. You can see the info in our AAR.It did almost break us though... supply was very tight.

I think it is best to get as much supply out of the HI early on to your main hubs, fight the war, then set in for the economic long haul. The Japanese economy is probably more robust than her combat forces!

Cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 475
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/8/2012 2:38:41 AM   
Mike Solli

17 Dec 41

Sub War

The S-36 allegedly sank from hitting a Mk 6 mine (one of theirs!) in Manila. I'll take it. It's one with real torpedoes.

Very quiet day today. Not much to discuss. Three Buffalos were shot down over Malaya.

Zamboanga (Mindinao) was taken in a 3:1 DA. 10(0) Japanese casualties to 241(15) Allied. The Naval Guard will chase the remnants. One of those nasty Do-24k-1s sank an xAK unloading supply. Zamboanga's infrastructure is intact:
Manpower - 1(1)
Resources - 20(0)
LI - 20(0)

Other Stuff

The nine Fubuki Is are headed back to Kobe for their Jan 42 upgrade, which will give them more AA and DC racks.

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 476
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/8/2012 2:58:31 AM   
Mike Solli

18 Dec 41

Sub War

The Ro-67 sank an xAK off Pt. Moresby. A day or two ago she spotted a CM. I suspect Pt. Moresby is now mined. He knows I'm going after it.

5 Fleet

Nothing new to report.

4 Fleet

I landed at Tarawa without incident.

SE Fleet

The Guards Brigade is unloading at Truk. Once it reloads, the invasion force (Gds Bde, 144 Reg, Maizuru 1 SNLF) will sail for Rabaul. The support will sail separately a day or so behind. Most of the 23 Air Flotilla is at Truk.

China

I attacked a Chinese Corps southwest of Suchow pushing it out of the hex. I took 48(0) casualties to 500(74) Chinese losses.

Hong Kong

As I mentioned earlier, Hong Kong fell today! I got 2:1 odds and took 404(2) losses to 5295(862) Brits. In addition, 6 Walrus and a Vildebeest were destroyed on the ground. Here's the status of the infrastructure:

Manpower - 5(0)
Resources - 26(24)
HI - 47(33)
LI - 127(93)
Shipyard - 30(20)

I'll repair everything except the LI. I'll consider expanding the HI when the SRA is captured.

Philippines

I hit Clark Field in a DA getting 1:1 odds. I took 1707(9) to 609(5) Allied losses. I need to soften it up a bit more. Fortunately, there are no forts there.

Mindinao

Nothing new to report.

Borneo

I captured Brunei taking 26(0) losses to 172(14) Allied losses. The oil field is 10(10).

56k supplies will begin unloading at Miri tomorrow.

Malaya

Today was brutal in the air. Ted lost 6 Buffalos, a Blenheim IV, 3 Hudsons and a Blenheim I to my 1 Oscar Ic, a Lily and 5 Vals (ouch). The Vals flew against an xAKL at Singapore harbor with no escort. Oh well, breaking a few eggs and all that....

Because of the amphib TF following another amphib TF most of my forces at Kuantan and Mersing landed yesterday and will attack tomorrow.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 477
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/8/2012 3:19:55 AM   
Mike Solli

19 Dec 41

5 Fleet

Nothing new to report.

4 Fleet

Nothing new to report.

Malaya

The Mersing and Kuantan attacks occurred:

Kuantan - 2:1 attack with level 1 fort. Losses were 74(1) for me and 278(8) for Ted. I'm attacking again tomorrow.

Mersing - 5:1 - Success! Losses were 107(0) to 1721(181). The Brit forces were the 27 Aussie Bde and 28 Gurkha Bde. Looks like they were trashed. They withdrew to the SW to Johore Bharu. I'm sending the 5 Div after them and a tank regiment and infantry regiment due west to cut off Malaya from Singapore. Looks like 39 units will be in Singapore and I see 8 units in the north. We'll see what I'll be up against. Right now the 5 Div is at Mersing, 18 is at Kuantan and IG Div is by Georgetown. The 56, 2 and 38 will be there anywhere from a day to about a week from now. That'll make 6 divisions for the final assault on Singapore. There is also a 50k+ supply convoy that's at Cam Ranh Bay that's about to head to Malaya.

A couple enemy bombers were shot down for no loss to me.

Burma

I found the AVG, or rather, they found me. I sent a small bombing raid to Pegu (7 Nates and 6 Marys). Four H81-A3s showed up and shot down 3 Marys. Ah well, it was bound to happen. At least it wasn't too bad.

Mindinao

The 2 tank regiments attacked Surigao to try to knock off the regiment there. They caused 264(30) casualties for no Japanese loss, but the remnants ran into the jungle. I'm pursuing with one of the tank regiments while the other heads back.

The 4 BB TF was still hanging around just west of Mindinao and stumbled across 2 Allied xAKLs. They didn't last long.

Other Stuff

21 IMB and 2x SNLFs are about to land at Singkawang. They'll leave one SNLF there and the rest will head to Tobali. The 22 Air Flotilla HQ and some engineers will follow them to Tobali.

The 21 Division is a couple days out from Tarakan. Then, they'll take Balkipapan. After that, they and the 21 IMB will land in Java, probably a couple weeks from now.

There are some small units that are loading and will head to Kendari with the 21 Air Flotilla HQ. Then they'll start to spread out from there.

Finally, the 4 Div is prepping for Palembang. Shortly after the invasion of Java, the 4th will go in to Palembang. This will give the 5 Air Division time to reduce the remaining enemy air power in Malaya and the 22 Air Flotilla (in Tobali) to reduce the Dutch air power in Java.

< Message edited by Mike Solli -- 1/8/2012 3:20:03 AM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 478
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/8/2012 3:44:23 AM   
PaxMondo

Wow.  So many turns!!!

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 479
RE: Once More into the Breach - 1/8/2012 4:09:22 PM   
BrucePowers

After turn 1 Mike and his opponent do turns fairly quickly.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once More into the Breach Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI