Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternative flags

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Alternative flags Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternative flags - 1/8/2012 1:05:27 PM   
Deggial

Hi all,

as mentioned in my other thread, I was fooling around with some new flag designs. What I tried to achieve is:
- Flags should be less divided into small sections
- Flags should be a little bit more alien and suited for star empires.
- If possible, there should be a relation to the respective race, e.g. Hexagonal structures for the insectioide races, waterrelation for the Wekkarus,... (still to be done)

Some flags are just my own interpretation of the original ones (05, 27, 29, 32), many are totally new.
The "Manticore" is inpired by David Weber's great "Honor Harrington" stories.

There are still some flags I want to change and there is *no* race specific sorting right now. (Flag 19, for example, should be the Wekkarus' flag but isn't yet.).
Nevertheless (and because I promised in mentioned other thread) I want to share the current state of work with you.

That's how the flags look right now:

If you like them and don't care about the missing sorting and uncompleteness, here is a link to download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I316IN0R

If you want to use the flags, just copy them to your ...\Distant Worlds\images\ui\flagshapes directory.
Please remember to make a backup first, as the flags will replace the original ones.

Hope you like one or the other design.

Cheers,
Deggial

--

PS: I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one who created some new flags. I know it is done for several specialized mods.
I would love to see other flags posted in this thread, too!

< Message edited by Deggial -- 1/8/2012 11:10:40 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Alternative flags - 1/8/2012 3:05:25 PM   
Ogaburan

Yey!

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternative flags - 1/9/2012 2:39:17 AM   
the1sean

awesome!

(in reply to Ogaburan)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternative flags - 1/15/2012 7:01:05 PM   
Deggial

Hi again.

As mentioned in my first post, I wanted to assign the flags to certain races.
This work is done now and some new flags are added, too.
Again, some flags are just variations of the original ones, some are completely unchanged, some are completely new:

I still hope you like them. My favorite is the Securan's flag (25).

By the way: I've discovered that it is possible to have "multicolored" flags, too (simply by varying the picture's alpha channel). Looks quite cool...

--

Here is the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0q75q024042biz/alternative_flags_v02.zip (thanks, adecoy95!)

*All* flags are included in this ZIP.file. So, if you are interested, just duplicate (and rename) the original "flagshapes" folder and extract the ZIP into the old one.

Please, be aware that Megaupload will store the data for 21 days only and - to be honest - I don't want to pay the fee just to keep the alternative flags on-line.
So, *IF* it would be possible to make the data available for a longer time, please tell me.

-------

Edit: Removed Megaupload link due actual incidences.

< Message edited by Deggial -- 1/20/2012 9:07:50 AM >

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternative flags - 1/15/2012 7:22:21 PM   
tjhkkr

You have some really nice ones in here. Good work!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternative flags - 1/15/2012 9:03:16 PM   
adecoy95

mediafire should hold the data for longer, barring that, you might try some dedicated modding hosting provider like moddb or the like.

also, the race specific flags, are will they be chosen automatically by the proper race?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: Alternative flags - 1/15/2012 9:48:30 PM   
Deggial

@ adecoy95: Yes, race specific flags are numbered as the original ones, so they will be loaded by the proper race.

Thanks for the tip! I added the new download possibility.

@ tjhkkr: Thanks!

I know, not all of them are equally inspirational. Therefore I added two additional flags to change the least wanted (Flag "B" looks way better, if the background color is brighter than the foreground).
Additionally, I would love to see some other creative artworks presented here. As mentioned before, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one creating new flag sets.

< Message edited by Deggial -- 1/15/2012 9:58:35 PM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 7
RE: Alternative flags - 1/15/2012 10:59:11 PM   
tjhkkr

Do not put your work down.
How many flags in this world truly ARE inspiring? Some have meaning that makes them a little more interesting... but a great many are just colors...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 8
RE: Alternative flags - 1/23/2012 2:57:04 PM   
onomastikon

Excuse me, this is AMAZING, thank you!
This is basically my first look in the modding sub-forum because I am new to DW and am still trying to wrap my mind around vanilla 1.706. Also, I am computer illiterate and am afraid of "modding" because I am sure to break something and my game will crash.
So can I ask: Do I go to your DL-link and DL your files, and then put them into ..."flagshapes", and then I will get to choose these in-game during game setup? And the AI will too (that is, use your great flags)? Will your flags be there in addition to the vanilla ones that came with the game? Will I also still get to choose my colors, or do I have to have red and yellow?

To be honest, I opened up this thread because I am looking for a quasi-Israeli flag for my next game. (I'd like to make a silly space-opera Exodus kind of thing with Moses, David, and the whole anachronistic meschpuchah). It wouldn't have to be very authentic, any six-pointed star on a neutral background would do, I'd choose blue and white. Would that be hard to do? Kind of surprised it doesnt come with the vanilla setup.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 9
RE: Alternative flags - 1/23/2012 4:25:24 PM   
J HG T

Those are great! Will definetly be using them!
The human star is bit a cliche; I personally prefer the Earth as a symbol for the humanity on SciFi, but it's just personal preference in the end. 

BTW, is The Ancient Guardian flag a sneaky reference to Metroid Prime 2? Luminoths had quite similar 3D font in it.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 1/23/2012 4:26:06 PM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 10
RE: Alternative flags - 1/23/2012 7:28:04 PM   
Deggial

I'm glad to come to know that my flags are well accepted and actually *used*! Thank you for your kind words!

@ onomastikon:
Yes, all the flags will be used by the AI as marked in the picture. There is no programming involved - I simply replaced the original flags by my own ones and it is not possible to use both flag-sets together. Hence, it is very important to duplicate and rename your original "flagshape"-directory or you will lose the original flags until you re-install the game.
Colors can be chosen as usual.

Creating flags is not to complicated, as long as you use a vector based graphic program.
Maybe you'll like this one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57824474/flag_Solomons_seal.wmf

Just replace the name by a number.
Take care on your people during their space-diaspora and have fun!

@ J HG T:
Yes, shame on me - it is! But there is nothing better than a nice cliché...
To be honest, this is not one of the flags I created with a special race in mind. When looking through my designs, this one seemed quite appropriate.
Metroid Prime 2? Interesting! No, I never heard about this game. Surfing the net I didn't find a respective picture with the font. It would be nice to see the parallels. My intention was to create a technical flag like a plate or something similar.

< Message edited by Deggial -- 1/24/2012 10:18:28 AM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 11
RE: Alternative flags - 1/23/2012 7:52:05 PM   
J HG T

@Deggial
Here's a translation key for for Luminoths language from Metroidwiki. See what I was meaning?
Linkity link to Wikitroid
And I have to agree that it's extremely fun to just look for cliches and references in games and movies sometimes.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 12
RE: Alternative flags - 1/23/2012 8:00:06 PM   
Deggial

LOL! You are right! Sometimes I think that it is not possible to create something totally new anymore, nowadays...

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 13
RE: Alternative flags - 1/24/2012 2:13:53 AM   
Rosseau

My fav is #24. Thanks.

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 14
RE: Alternative flags - 1/24/2012 7:27:10 AM   
onomastikon

Hey thanks so much. I think I understand. I'm going to try it. Sadly, I am having problems finding my distant worlds folder. It is not under Programs and not under Programsx86, which is where I usually find things. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, sadly in German, so things might be called differently. I've been looking for "Matrix Games" or "Distant Worlds", but can find neither. Does anyone have a tip for a computer idiot? Thank you

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: Alternative flags - 1/24/2012 9:38:22 AM   
Jon Micheelsen

onomastikon, it's default directory is C:\Matrix Games That's right, it's not in the programs or programsx86 folder, but right on the main drive. I didn't notice where it was installed at first and was surprised when I found it - and indeed missed it too. It is very old school of the game to do that btw, like Master of Orion 1

Deggial, that is one awesome pack you've made!! Most of them are replacing flags in my folder RIGHT NOW

< Message edited by Jon Micheelsen -- 1/24/2012 9:39:45 AM >

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 16
RE: Alternative flags - 5/1/2012 11:20:34 PM   
Berlioz

First of all, all of the mods in this wonderful site are awesome. :)

Second of all, none of the links to this also awesome mod are working. Any chance a working one might be provided?

Thanks. :)

(in reply to Jon Micheelsen)
Post #: 17
RE: Alternative flags - 5/11/2012 6:37:16 AM   
Pocus

+1, can someone with the flags provides a valid link please?

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Berlioz)
Post #: 18
RE: Alternative flags - 6/4/2012 12:59:31 AM   
the1sean

Oh man, wish I could download the newer version! Please relink on Gamefront, they maintain files for quite some time!

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 19
RE: Alternative flags - 6/6/2012 7:38:19 AM   
Deggial

Wow! I'm happy that there is still interest in may flags! Sorry for not being at this forum for quite a while. There are so many games to play and so many things to do...

Anyway, I've placed the flags in my personal dropbox, now. There shouldn't be download problems in the foreseeable future any more. Here is the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57824474/alternative_flags_v02.zip

Cheers and have fun,
Deggial

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 20
RE: Alternative flags - 8/14/2012 3:42:16 PM   
Berlioz

OMG I completely forgot to thank you for the new link!

Thank you!

(in reply to Deggial)
Post #: 21
RE: Alternative flags - 8/15/2012 1:12:39 AM   
WoodMan

I never even saw these the first time around, only just discovering them now! They look brilliant, good work!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Berlioz)
Post #: 22
RE: Alternative flags - 8/25/2012 7:01:17 AM   
jpinard

Thank you so much for this. The intital flag options are offer no uniqueness whatsoever. These are fantastic!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 23
RE: Alternative flags - 9/1/2012 8:47:57 PM   
Darkspire

Thank you. These are really good, from what I can gather from Igard's ST mod, you can put them in your own folder in the Customization folder, so its no longer needed to copy and rename the original folder (Im taking that from the point of view i have DW, ROTS+L installed)

Darkspire

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Alternative flags Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI