Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 10:01:32 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am looking for a place.

1) The first bombing here came as a suprise to the defenders although they had recived warnings but not acted upon them.
2) A majority of the aircraft in the first bombing came from four carriers.

3) This was the largest air raid, during WWII, against the country where this place is located.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2491
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 10:06:04 PM   
paulderynck

Ceylon

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2492
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 10:11:08 PM   
Orm

No, not Ceylon either. The place I am looking for became a city later on. In fact it became a city on Australia day.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2493
RE: Next quiz - 1/8/2012 10:40:40 PM   
warspite1

Darwin

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2494
RE: Next quiz - 1/9/2012 8:05:17 AM   
Orm

I am indeed looking for Darwin.

Here is a link to a wiki page if someone want to read about the first bomb raid on Darwin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Darwin

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2495
RE: Next quiz - 1/9/2012 8:15:52 AM   
JeffroK

More bombs were dropped in the raid on Darwin than on Pearl Harbor!

Just as at PH they thought the raid was B17's flying in from the West Coast, it was thought the attackers at Darwin could be aircraft flying in from Java/Timor.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2496
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 3:19:17 AM   
warspite1

Which US Navy destroyer was sunk during the Darwin raid?

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 2497
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 7:22:46 AM   
Orm

USS Peary. I had planned to use USS Peary as the next clue for my Darwin question. If you asked this a week ago I would have had no clue at all.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2498
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 7:48:23 PM   
ezzler

Two part question:

Easy 1st part : What was the unfortunate oversight on the Elefant TD.

2nd harder part: What was the partial solution to this problem.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2499
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 8:10:55 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Two part question:

Easy 1st part : What was the unfortunate oversight on the Elefant TD.

2nd harder part: What was the partial solution to this problem.

Let's try, for 1st part I would say no anti-infantry weaponry.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2500
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 8:21:41 PM   
Centuur

It was the engine breakdowns which occured quite often (the clutch didn't work as well as it should...), because the AFV was so heavy. The Kingtiger had the same problems, however not as bad as the Elefant.

How they solved this: I haven't got a clue. I thought they didn't solve this problem at all...

Peter

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 2501
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 10:15:28 PM   
ezzler

Ahh - the petro-electrical drive. That was a problem, but not an oversight. Just a technical limitation.

Micheljq has the oversight. An 88mm AT gun, but no anti-infantry machine-guns. What was the solution given to Panzer crews to correct this deficiency?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2502
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 10:24:04 PM   
ezzler

Should really have said Ferdinand rather than Elephant. The Elephant modification added a bow MG.
But no, the bow MG is not the solution we're looking for.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2503
RE: Next quiz - 1/10/2012 11:24:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

USS Peary. I had planned to use USS Peary as the next clue for my Darwin question. If you asked this a week ago I would have had no clue at all.
Warspite1

...is the right answer

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2504
RE: Next quiz - 1/11/2012 2:48:16 AM   
brian brian

OK well so no one has ever heard of this Axis mission in North America, so I'll hand out some clues that might help someone solve it.

This mission did not encounter any people at all, military or civilian.

The personnel on this mission all returned to their base safely, unlike an identical mission at the same time.

There is definitive evidence of this mission in an Allied country's national war museum today.

This mission did not take place on that country's territory at that time.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2505
RE: Next quiz - 1/11/2012 2:15:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

OK well so no one has ever heard of this Axis mission in North America, so I'll hand out some clues that might help someone solve it.

This mission did not encounter any people at all, military or civilian.

The personnel on this mission all returned to their base safely, unlike an identical mission at the same time.

There is definitive evidence of this mission in an Allied country's national war museum today.

This mission did not take place on that country's territory at that time.

A submarine landing in the Caribbean? I know my grandparents and other relatives were constantly worried about that along the Atlantic coast.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 2506
RE: Next quiz - 1/11/2012 2:38:09 PM   
micheljq

quote:

Ahh - the petro-electrical drive. That was a problem, but not an oversight. Just a technical limitation.

Micheljq has the oversight. An 88mm AT gun, but no anti-infantry machine-guns. What was the solution given to Panzer crews to correct this deficiency?

They gave pistols to the crew?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2507
RE: Next quiz - 1/11/2012 3:01:06 PM   
ezzler

Closer than you think!

It was a small arms remedy. But an usual one.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 2508
RE: Next quiz - 1/11/2012 7:16:30 PM   
Centuur

I know that the Germans developed something they called "Nachverteidigungswaffe" (close defense weapon) for AFV's, which they could use against enemy soldiers in close combat. I don't know what exactly they used for this weapon. Handgranates or something like that? I haven't got a clue.

Peter

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2509
RE: Next quiz - 1/12/2012 3:15:18 AM   
brian brian

OK for the Axis in North America, the Caribbean is a good guess and my various profs in grad-level WWII courses would probably hand out a partial credit for that, though they would expect a 3 page paper on the politico-social ramifications of Nazi contact with the post-colonial native inhabitants there instead of just a quiz answer. A handful of times there, a U-Boat crew would sun themselves ashore, but this was a designed mission carried out by the German sailors of U-537.

I thought the part about it being in a war museum of a country that did not control the area might lead to a guess of Newfoundland, which was part of the Commonwealth during the war but was not yet an official part of Canada. And actually it happened at a far northern cape in Labrador, where this crew set up an automated weather station that sent data back to Germany. Records of it were re-discovered by a historian writing a history of the Siemens corporation in 1981, and an expedition to the site found the equipment still there. It is now in the Canadian National War Museum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Station_Kurt

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2510
RE: Next quiz - 1/12/2012 3:19:04 AM   
brian brian

Now here is another pretty good quiz question. When and where did the last European Axis unit surrender it's weapons?

No, none of them headed off into competition with the Japanese on this one, it happened in the year 1945.

Post #: 2511
RE: Next quiz - 1/12/2012 3:52:10 PM   
ItBurns

quote:

Closer than you think!

It was a small arms remedy. But an usual one.

Although I can't remember the name of the weapon I do rememeber a submachine gun with a barrel that curved to a 90 degree angle. It was so they could shoot over the side of the "wall" without exposing themselves. The barrels wore out quickly and the bullets tended to shatter but it was found that the latter actually made the weapon more effective at such close ranges.

< Message edited by ItBurns -- 1/12/2012 3:57:24 PM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2512
RE: Next quiz - 1/12/2012 7:19:11 PM   
michaelbaldur

it was the STG 44 ..that had that barrel.

it was the forefather for all modern assault rifles. especially the AK-47 ..which is just a copy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 1/12/2012 10:29:05 PM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2513
RE: Next quiz - 1/13/2012 12:55:28 AM   
ezzler

That's the answer.  The rare and sought after STG 44 assault rifle with The 'Krummlauf' attachment was issued to panzer crews. The idea was to hose down the big hull without exposure. As ItBurns said the bullets shattered so it was a really short range weapon. It worked fine at the close range the tankers were using it. It was also used like that on Halftracks.
At Kursk there were reports of crews pointing the TD at the enemy infantry firing their small arms down the barrel of the 88.

originally fitted with a bow Mg, it was removed to allow extra armour plate. Shouldn't have been that much of a problem if the Ferdinand had stayed back and picked off the enemy armour instead of going forwards.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 2514
RE: Next quiz - 1/13/2012 7:47:22 PM   
Centuur

So that was what they used against infantry in close combat from their tanks. Nice to know...

Peter

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2515
RE: Next quiz - 1/16/2012 5:21:35 AM   
brian brian

ahh well, another too obscure question. at least y'all don't just Google it.

the last European Axis personnel handed in their weapons in September, 1945. And yes, they were Germans of course. No way any Italians were that dedicated, nor was it some rogue Balkan partisans. These folks weren't exactly "fighting" any more either, but they were armed. Any guess where this happened?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2516
RE: Next quiz - 1/16/2012 6:12:44 PM   
Centuur

I would go for Norway. It took the allies a long time to reach the German forces there, who used weapons there for food.
I don't know if it the last unit surrendered in September, but I know of a German unit disarmed near Narvik in early August 1945 (I've got Austrain roots, and one of my relatives was fighting in Norway in 1945. He surrendered at that time). It took them a long time to reach Narvik from the Russian/Norwegian/Finnish border on foot...
They used the weapons to shoot animals, while moving. They were afraid of capture by the Soviets and therefore the Gebirgsjäger decided to move to the Norwegian coast near Narvik...

Peter

Post #: 2517
RE: Next quiz - 1/16/2012 7:05:22 PM   
brian brian

very close. Spitsbergen would be the answer, where yet another Axis weather team was more accurately described as 'rescued' than 'surrendered' I think, in September '45. but I have read it described as the last Axis personnel to hand over weapons. my next clue would have been ... the same and only location where the Tirpitz fired it's main guns at the enemy.....which I think might be a quiz question in here somewhere.

one last bit of trivia from the "Weather War".....what Axis equipment was still sending out weather data in 1946? This is another obscure one ... the Germans designed and built buoys that could submerge and then surface briefly for a radio transmission. one was still working in the North Atlantic a year after the war ended.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2518
RE: Next quiz - 1/17/2012 7:31:20 AM   
michaelbaldur

quiz 1.

1. I was sunk by my own crew  

I work hard, not smart.

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

Post #: 2519
RE: Next quiz - 1/17/2012 7:31:35 AM   
michaelbaldur

quiz 2.

1. I was sunk by my own crew

I work hard, not smart.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 2520
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI