Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game situation questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Game situation questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game situation questions - 1/20/2012 1:25:51 PM   
john lawton

My name is John Lawton and I recently purchased a copy of WitE. Background - I am an experienced wargamer with more than 30 years experience with FITE in its various formats with John Astel even before Winston Hamilton appeared on the scene. Also I have some credits in wargaming development both here in Australia and in America as well( had an association with Mark Hermon Victory Games TM)

My problem is with Jan42 - in the campaign game the Russian partisans have completely taken control of the map. From my experience(extremely extensive) the partisans were not that effective until at least 1943. ALSO the Germans seem to have very few security units - 4 not counting the axis allies, where if I use FITE as an example there are at least 30 security units from regimental/brigade/divisional size. This does not even account for the various SS battalions touring the rear areas rounding up the undesirables.

Currently I have ALL security type units doing as much as they can to contain the situation(they are NOT in the front line) - they are simply being over extended.

My Jan position playing on the normal level is almost exactly historical in the north - Leningrad isolated and 1 hex from Moscow

Done considerably better in the south having taken both Voronezh and Rostov

Otherwise the game has proceeded reasonably close to most of the historical time lines

SO - Have I done something wrong with my anti partisan dispositions OR is there something I have overlooked in the conduct of the game

I would appreciate some advise as to my game situation

P.S. i doubt that he would remember I did meet Gary Grigsby at various game conventions back in the late 80,s early 90's I go back a LONG way

Sincerely John Lawton
Post #: 1
RE: Game situation questions - 1/20/2012 1:47:17 PM   
Denniss

Did you break down the security divisions? You'll get three smaller parts to cover a larger area.

(in reply to john lawton)
Post #: 2
RE: Game situation questions - 1/20/2012 1:51:41 PM   
mmarquo

And...are you garrisoning the cities properly? This is critical; hit shift-K to highlight the cities which need to be garrisoned and take appropriate measures.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
RE: Game situation questions - 1/20/2012 5:20:14 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: john lawton
ALSO the Germans seem to have very few security units - 4 not counting the axis allies...

There should be more than that. Off the top of my head (I'm at work now) the Germans start with 6 SEC Divs (2 for each RHG HQ), and there are several that arrive as reinforcements. The Axis Allies provide quite a few SEC Bdes/Divs as well.

Some more tips here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3011623

Controlled properly, partisans are little more than a minor nuissance. I rarely have any major issues, to the point where it's almost disappointing. I thought the partisan 'problem' was an actual problem, not one that can be easily controlled.

Here's what I do:

1. Keep a large number of Construction Bns in OKH and AG HQs. They will help with normal Rail Repair, and also partisan blown lines.
2. Carefully watch city garrison requirements. Break down SEC Divs as most cities only need 1 Rgt. Some will need 2. I don't think any city needs a full SEC Div. The Germans have some independent Inf and LW Feld Rgts that can help garrison as well. Front line units can garrison cities near the front while on R&R. Axis Allies provide lots of SEC units. Additionally, a number of Allied non-SEC Bdes are also good for bolstering garrisons. The 2 Rumanian Fort Infantry Bdes are good early war garrison units.
3. Use a handfull of Cav units to chase around partisan counters. You only need to move adjacent to them, and the partisans die. If you can't directly see partisan units, click on the 'Show Battles' button. This will show blown rail lines. Where there are blown lines, there are partisan units. Find the partisans in those areas. YOu don't even need a lot of Cav units on hunting duties, as the city garrison units can usually reach partisans within 2 turns. Once the partisan unit is dead, just move the garrison back to its city.
4. When your FBD Rail Repair counters get near the front in late 1941, direct them north/south to create alternate supply routes, so that if a rail line is severed, supply still goes via another line. You can't eliminate partisans, but with a redundant supply net, blown lines are temporarily irrelevant.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 1/20/2012 5:50:43 PM >

(in reply to john lawton)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Game situation questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI