Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:17:57 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Now, if you want to opt for some "gamey" play by the Axis: next DoW impulse you might DoW all neutral minors, who haven't got an army and a resource/factory. This might increase US entry even more.

Hence the suggestion of Liberia (Edit; by the Allies). The Central and South America minors can't be done as they effect VPs. European neutral minors give stuff to the axis. I think that leaves only Liberia.

Yemen and Tibet come into mind. I don't know if there are any more of these obscure nations around, with the unified map...

Good ones! Have the CW DoW them all first and wait and see what happens to entry. That way the axis can't do any of them . Next Impulse Free France can do one or more.

Edit: Actually the Axis will have to not align them so they'll surrender. Japan might think about Yemen depending on what forces are in the neighborhood.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/21/2012 8:22:51 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1381
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:22:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The ground strikes on the USSR are not a surprise to experienced players. It doesn't really matter whether it was 90%, 60%, or 40%. Enough units get stuck in place to make the mobile ones too weak to form a defensive line if they retreat. All the units in the front line get cleaned up easily in 2 or 3 impulses. Any delay in removing them from the map is usually because Germany is move interested in advancing quickly to Kiev et al. The slower and weaker units,plus newly arrived reinforcements, get the task of mopping up.

If the Germans had waited for clear weather, they would have had guaranteed success with 3 of their Stukas and 80% probability with the fourth. What happened to the naval Stuka? It has pretty good TAC as I recall.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1382
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:24:36 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince
Gamey, sure, but I'm not going to dow minors the Axis can't actually make war against.

And Germany and Italy can fight China??? Get off the moral high ground and get in the trenches here! This is war g@wd@mit!

To be clear, the Allies need to do it before the axis does. If they find ways to reduce the entry level, they can't allow the axis to drive it back up.

Last I checked, China isn't a minor is it?

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now, if you want to opt for some "gamey" play by the Axis: next DoW impulse you might DoW all neutral minors, who haven't got an army and a resource/factory. This might increase US entry even more.

Hence the suggestion of Liberia (Edit; by the Allies). The Central and South America minors can't be done as they effect VPs. European neutral minors give stuff to the axis. I think that leaves only Liberia.

Yemen and Tibet come into mind. I don't know if there are any more of these obscure nations around, with the unified map...

Yemen is actually a legit target for Italy, as is Saudi Arabia, so you might see those happening sometime in the near future.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1383
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:25:00 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

The ground strikes on the USSR are not a surprise to experienced players. It doesn't really matter whether it was 90%, 60%, or 40%. Enough units get stuck in place to make the mobile ones too weak to form a defensive line if they retreat. All the units in the front line get cleaned up easily in 2 or 3 impulses. Any delay in removing them from the map is usually because Germany is move interested in advancing quickly to Kiev et al. The slower and weaker units,plus newly arrived reinforcements, get the task of mopping up.

If the Germans had waited for clear weather, they would have had guaranteed success with 3 of their Stukas and 80% probability with the fourth. What happened to the naval Stuka? It has pretty good TAC as I recall.

Ground strike factor is not doubled by Surprise (maybe it was in past versions). Instead they get an extra roll. A 5 Stuka will hit 75% of the time, etc.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/21/2012 8:27:44 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1384
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:26:05 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Why is it fighting like one?

Paul

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1385
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:28:37 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

I got the "clear" weather I was looking for . . . in the south. I'm not sure which one is the naval Stuka you're talking about . . . you mean the original NAV? Or maybe it's not in the game yet?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1386
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:29:24 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

Why is it fighting like one?

Chinese Attack Weakness. (And a bad setup).

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1387
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:30:45 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

I got the "clear" weather I was looking for . . . in the south. I'm not sure which one is the naval Stuka you're talking about . . . you mean the original NAV? Or maybe it's not in the game yet?

There is a 6-range Stuka with 3 A2s factors. It has 4 ground strike factors.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/21/2012 8:35:01 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1388
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:48:13 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh. That one is a 1941 unit, so it hasn't been built yet.

As for Liberia, are you sure you want to turn this fellow over to the Axis at this juncture?

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1389
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 8:52:37 PM   
Centuur

Now, in answer on those Axis DoW's against China, the Allies should DoW those minors next impulse, removing chits from the USA entry pools (just as the USSR is going to DoW Italy...). The Axis had there chance of doing that last impulse too, and if they are doing gamey things like DoW'ing China with Germany and Italy, you can't simply set back as the Allies and don't try to do gamey things in return.
The Axis should have made those DoW's last turn. They didn't...
So the USSR, France and the CW should all DoW Yemen, Liberia and Tibet in next declaration of war phase removing USA chits (especially the USSR ones can remove 3 USA chits...). The Axis made a mistake last DoW phase by not doing this, so why should you favour them. Give them a piece of their own cake in return...
Now the impulse after that, the USA might be in a better position to DoW Japan or the Euroaxis because of this...

Peter

Post #: 1390
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 9:08:47 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Now, in answer on those Axis DoW's against China, the Allies should DoW those minors next impulse, removing chits from the USA entry pools (just as the USSR is going to DoW Italy...). The Axis had there chance of doing that last impulse too, and if they are doing gamey things like DoW'ing China with Germany and Italy, you can't simply set back as the Allies and don't try to do gamey things in return.
So the USSR, France and the CW should all DoW Yemen, Liberia and Tibet in next declaration of war phase removing USA chits (especially the USSR ones can remove 3 USA chits...). The Axis made a mistake last DoW phase by not doing this, so why should you favour them. Give them a piece of their own cake in return...
Now the impulse after that, the USA might be in a better position to DoW Japan or the Euroaxis because of this...

Perfectly good reason the Axis didn't DOW Yemen. Italy has a Division ready to either invade it or support it.

The point for me is that while the DOW of China was "gamey", I didn't DOW the others because there no point to it from a military viewpoint. The DOWs I made were all certain to create the results I wanted, not give a 30% chance of a positive result.

I know you'll disagree with this, but I'm trying to play "within reason". Note that the USA didn't enter the first World War until it was 80% finished already. It then took about a year to get troops onto the front lines, and most of the fatalities were the result of influenza and not battle. So, I see this as "within reason" based on that example. Did the USA DOW random other countries? No.

Sure, this is just an "excuse". If you really want me to DOW Liberia (I think it's a mistake to give that unit to the Germans), I will. I can see Yemen as a legit target (preventative measures), but while many may see this game as a farce already, I'd like to keep it within the bounds of "reason". That, to me, means a Soviet DOW on Italy is legitimate, even if they don't actually enter Iraq.

However, if you want to have the Allies DOW everything that doesn't put them physically at risk, don't forget Crete and Nepal!

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1391
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 10:00:04 PM   
Red Prince

There were 10 attacks made by the Axis this turn. There are 4 invasions that are automatic due to surprised Notional Units, an invasion of Batavia, an attack near Kunming, and 4 attacks against the USSR.

Three of the attacks against the Soviets deserve special notes:

Kaunas . . . I intentionally moved an INF (white print) so that it ended up disorganized in order to make this attack Automatic.

South of Bessarabia . . . looking at the first of the two images below, you're probably thinking "What the hell is he doing making a 1:1 attack???" Well, look at the second image before you go nuts. That one shows the attack that I'll make first and probably get a 'B' result for it, at 3:1 +4 odds. Move a single unit an extra hex east, and suddenly that 1:1 attack becomes a 5:1 +2 attack. There is method to my madness.

And the results:

Attack on China [89, 131]: Blitz, Roll = 8 = */1B
Attack on USSR [59, 54]: Assault, Roll = 6+2 = 8 = */2S
Attack on USSR {58, 54]: Blitz, Fractional Odds .954 (No), Roll = 9+4 = 13 = */2B (Not Converted, 2 x INF Destroyed, Breakthrough)
Attack on Lvov: Assault, Roll = 9 = */2S
Attack on Kaunas: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Tarakan: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Balikpapan: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Rabaul: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Trincomalee: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Batavia: Blitz, Roll = 3+1 = 4 = */B (Not Converted, 2 Oil Points gained)

I chose the Blitz table for the attack in China in the hopes of preserving the unit. If you want to see what the tables look like at 4:1 odds, I have a shot of it, but basically there was a 10% chance of survival as an Assault, and a 40% chance as a Blitz. China won't be seeing any more units for a while, so I went with the higher odds of keeping the INF around. Unfortunately, the roll was a digit too high . . . a '7' would have sent him to the Production Spiral.

After the Breakthrough succeeded SW of Chisinau, and the 1:1 +2 became a 5:1 +2, I was going to choose the Blitz CRT for this one, too . . . until I realized there were no longer any hexes which would allow these guys to Retreat, so the only hope that even one of them can survive is for the Germans to roll a '1' on the Assault CRT. Well, that didn't happen.

The unit in Lvov was dead, but there was a slight chance that he could stop this group of units from advancing any further this turn . . . but he didn't.

In Batavia, the Assault CRT would have been certain death, with a 40% chance to disorganize the attackers. So, I went with another Blitz here. It only offers a 30% chance of survival and a 20% chance to disorganize . . . Batavia was going to be lost regardless. Turns out the unit did survive, but since the unit was the Batavia MIL, it won't be coming back while Batavia is in enemy hands.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/21/2012 10:01:12 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1392
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 10:08:55 PM   
Red Prince

A successful first strike, I'd say. Below you can see the units destroyed by the attacks this impulse, including 18 BP of Soviets. Additionally, Japan claimed 2 more Victory Cities, and unless the CW somehow manages to get a unit into Saigon before the end of the turn, a 3rd will change hands. The Japanese also claimed 3 resources, 2 Oil (in addition to the 2 Oil Points in Batavia), and finally entered Ankang and Tianshui (no chits for these). Tianshui allows another Chinese resource to reach a factory.

I don't know how it works, but there's actually a chance that Germany can claim all the remaining lands of Bessarabia before the turn ends without entering the USSR proper. I know that Bessarabia becomes part of Rumania again as soon as the last hex is claimed, so I'm wondering if I can avoid both multiplier additions by doing this. Purely hypothetical, unless the weather turns very bad again, but a curious question to which I don't know the answer.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1393
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 10:30:20 PM   
Centuur

RAW:

If Rumania allows the claim, it stays neutral and Bessarabia becomes
part of the USSR for all purposes until the USSR controls no hex in
Bessarabia. At that point, Bessarabia again becomes part of Rumania.

Increase a major power’s production multiple by 0.25 if there is an in
supply enemy unit in the major power’s current home country (an
unconquered UK only in the case of the Commonwealth and not
Siberia in the case of the USSR).

Increase a major power’s production multiple by 0.25 if an enemy unit
took part during the turn in a land attack (not overrun) against any
friendly land unit (including partisans and notional units) in the major
power’s current home country (an unconquered UK only in the case of
the Commonwealth and not Siberia in the case of the USSR).

The key of this is indeed the word "current". This means that the USSR shouldn't get the multipliers if you don't move any units into the USSR and don't attack any unit in the USSR itself. I wonder if this has been playtested. If not, this might be worth saving and tested for seperately.

However: the Germans shouldn't stop the attack to avoid this multiplier. You are pressed for time...

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1394
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 10:44:35 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Perfectly good reason the Axis didn't DOW Yemen. Italy has a Division ready to either invade it or support it.

The point for me is that while the DOW of China was "gamey", I didn't DOW the others because there no point to it from a military viewpoint. The DOWs I made were all certain to create the results I wanted, not give a 30% chance of a positive result.

I know you'll disagree with this, but I'm trying to play "within reason". Note that the USA didn't enter the first World War until it was 80% finished already. It then took about a year to get troops onto the front lines, and most of the fatalities were the result of influenza and not battle. So, I see this as "within reason" based on that example. Did the USA DOW random other countries? No.

Sure, this is just an "excuse". If you really want me to DOW Liberia (I think it's a mistake to give that unit to the Germans), I will. I can see Yemen as a legit target (preventative measures), but while many may see this game as a farce already, I'd like to keep it within the bounds of "reason". That, to me, means a Soviet DOW on Italy is legitimate, even if they don't actually enter Iraq.

However, if you want to have the Allies DOW everything that doesn't put them physically at risk, don't forget Crete and Nepal!

If the axis do gamey stuff like DoWing China with Italy and Germany than you've already violated what is "within reason".

There is no way in a FTF game that you'd ever get away with the Allies not responding, so not DoWing with them is not playing this hotseat game "within reason".

BTW Crete is not a minor unless Greece got conquered and nobody had units in Crete at that time.

It's all about US Entry now, and once they're in, it will be all about oil (assuming this is an oil game). You want to be careful what forces those minors have. In the board game, Liberia and Yemen don't have units (or at least didn't used to). So of course you don't want to give the axis a free unit that can maybe walk into the oil hex or capital of Saudi, but if that Liberian guy can possibly do any harm to the allies than you're obviously going to need kryptonite to win with them.

OTOH if Yemen has no unit and Italy is in position to DoW it and take the capital, than you lose nothing to DoW with the Allies. AAMOF you will likely lower the entry level (BTW it's a 50% chance) whereas the Italian DoW may raise it.

Paul

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1395
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 10:54:35 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

RAW:

The key of this is indeed the word "current". This means that the USSR shouldn't get the multipliers if you don't move any units into the USSR and don't attack any unit in the USSR itself. I wonder if this has been playtested. If not, this might be worth saving and tested for seperately.

However: the Germans shouldn't stop the attack to avoid this multiplier. You are pressed for time...

I think you're right. I will create a save before entering the USSR proper, so that I can find out how this works in the game.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1396
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:02:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

RAW:

I think you're right. I will create a save before entering the USSR proper, so that I can find out how this works in the game.

When you attacked units in Bessarabia they were currently in the home country of USSR so that multiplier should be gained regardless if Bessarabia returns to Romania or not later on.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1397
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:16:44 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the axis do gamey stuff like DoWing China with Italy and Germany than you've already violated what is "within reason".

There is no way in a FTF game that you'd ever get away with the Allies not responding, so not DoWing with them is not playing this hotseat game "within reason".

BTW Crete is not a minor unless Greece got conquered and nobody had units in Crete at that time.

It's all about US Entry now, and once they're in, it will be all about oil (assuming this is an oil game). You want to be careful what forces those minors have. In the board game, Liberia and Yemen don't have units (or at least didn't used to). So of course you don't want to give the axis a free unit that can maybe walk into the oil hex or capital of Saudi, but if that Liberian guy can possibly do any harm to the allies than you're obviously going to need kryptonite to win with them.

OTOH if Yemen has no unit and Italy is in position to DoW it and take the capital, than you lose nothing to DoW with the Allies. AAMOF you will likely lower the entry level (BTW it's a 50% chance) whereas the Italian DoW may raise it.

Oh, I haven't said I won't do these things for the Allies, but where do I place the bar? Yemen should be DOWed by the CW. It has a unit nearby in Aden, and it will prevent the Italian DOW. Also, Yemen has no ports, so it's hard for Italy to support.

Tibet, Crete, and Nepal, sure . . . why not? But what about all the South American nations that do not have units? (I'd have to look up which ones do and which ones don't). Nicaragua? El Salvador? Cuba?

That's what I mean by "within reason". I didn't DOW all of these nations with the Axis because it would have been ridiculous. I guess my definition of "within reason" (and the historical reference to the USA is only of minor use here) is something that doesn't completely change the look of the map, as below:
-----
More important info in the next post . . .

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1398
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:19:09 PM   
brian brian

quote:

you'll notice that one is painted blue too. they're pretty sharp down there in Australia.

though maybe for when the players go sailing the seas of cheese, they could have painted in orange.

don't forget Bhutan on the cheese menu. they probably serve curdled Yak milk cheese there.

Post #: 1399
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:24:25 PM   
Red Prince

Edit: The following post is not part of the AAR game itself, but was created for the sole purpose of illustrating my point about the Allies potential "gamey" responses.
-----
These are the DOWs I made, and they all come out of the Ge/It Entry Pool. I ran out of chits somewhere around Haiti. What was the result? As soon as Italy DOWs China next impulse, the US Entry for Japan will be completely screwed again, and the US will never be able to DOW the EuroAxis.

So, beyond a DOW by the USSR on Italy, and maybe a DOW by the CW on Yemen, what is the point of any others? They won't get the results you want, because if you only DOW enough to get the Ge/It Pool "down just enough" to make the DOW, before you get the chance, one of the Axis powers (or all) will DOW all the ones you didn't . . . and you will have lost your opportunity.

The "gamey" move sent the US Entry levels too high for the Allies to combat through random DOWs on defenseless nations. They need to do it through Tension rolls instead. If I start DOWing neutral minors with the Allies, I have to start doing it with the Axis . . . which I didn't because I saw that as "gamey", while a DOW on a Major Power on its last legs is only "slightly gamey".

Regardless of which way you see it, trying to fix this by DOWing neutral minors just won't work, so why should I do it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/21/2012 11:51:14 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1400
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:41:48 PM   
Red Prince

I just want to reiterate the original explanation I made a few pages ago as to why this could be considered "legitimate" and not completely "gamey". It's possible that the Axis would make these DOWs to piss off the US Government, knowing full well that the citizens probably wouldn't care . . . "China's dead anyway, so what does it matter?"

Also, part of what has been missed here is the fact that it wasn't only the DOW on China that created this situation. That put 6 chits into the pools. The other 8 chits came from utterly legitimate DOWs on the USSR, France, and the CW . . . all of which were acted on.

Remove those 6 chits, and you get what's in the following image, plus 2 extra Ja chits per turn from here on out. "Gamey" or not, the results are the same, and cannot be fixed by more "gamey" play on the part of the Alliess.

I repeat the damage was done by legitimate DOWs made at an opportune moment. The "gamey" DOW really didn't have as much impact as you seem to think.

A reminder of the DOWs this impulse:

Germany DOW USSR; USE-6 (+1 chit, 170 [1]
Germany DOW China; USE-5 (+6 chits, 503 [3], 592 [3], 915 [6], 18 [1], 25 [1], 553 [3])
Japan DOW USSR; USE-4 (+1 chit, 836 [4])
Japan DOW CW; USE-6 (+3 chits, 904 [5], 222 [2], 508 [3])
Japan DOW France; USE-4 (+3 chits, 635 [3], 128 [1], 7 [1])

Every nation in bold was attacked for real gains this impulse.
-----
Edit: And I don't expect that the Americans would try a 50% DOW on Italy or Germany in this situation, anyway, since it would potentially remove a very important Tension chit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/21/2012 11:45:30 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1401
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:47:38 PM   
brian brian

did the USSR pull the trigger on those? or are you still thinking about it?

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1402
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/21/2012 11:49:28 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

did the USSR pull the trigger on those? or are you still thinking about it?

No, I haven't actually even finished rebasing aircraft for the Axis. I just went ahead to make those DOWs in order to illustrate my point. Don't worry. The game isn't that out of hand yet.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 1403
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:10:28 AM   
JeffroK

Some reasoning to have Germany/Italy DOW China.
Germany might want to get back its Tsingtao enclave and Italy might be eyeing off Honk Kong or Macau. An independent Japanese player may want quid pro quo to allow a base on the east coast of Africa.

Very unlikely, but 1 thought to explain it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1404
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:10:45 AM   
composer99

IMO as soon as you start DoWing to screw with US entry and for no other useful in-game reason, you are playing 'metagame' WiF, and no longer playing WiF.

Once that happens it is entirely reasonable for the other side to also play metagame WiF.

If you're going to play metagame WiF and game the US entry mechanics in favour of the Axis you ought rightly to do the same for the Allies.

A German or Italian DoW on China, unless German or Italian forces are in a position to assist the Japanese fight the Chinese, is gamey.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1405
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:16:30 AM   
JeffroK

My understanding is this is a test drive of the system, and therefore a great place to play around with outcomes.
I can see thousands of HR in place to keep it in line.
Some of these US entry outcomes should be a bit random, you are using historical responses to a completely ahistorical war. Maybe a point or two variability takes away the confidence in trying to "game" the outcome.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1406
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:21:08 AM   
brian brian

it might also be worth testing the factory move rules with different combinations of german/russian/rumanian controlled hexes in Bessarabia, past and present. I think that rule depends on the use of the word 'current', i.e. during your rail movement phase or is it 'during this turn'?

"We may be destroyed, but, if we are, we shall drag a world with us. A world in flames." - Adolf Hitler
WiF rulebook, page 1.

maybe a dose of Stalinism could fix Haiti. no one else seems to be able to.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1407
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:21:19 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

IMO as soon as you start DoWing to screw with US entry and for no other useful in-game reason, you are playing 'metagame' WiF, and no longer playing WiF.

Once that happens it is entirely reasonable for the other side to also play metagame WiF.

If you're going to play metagame WiF and game the US entry mechanics in favour of the Axis you ought rightly to do the same for the Allies.

A German or Italian DoW on China, unless German or Italian forces are in a position to assist the Japanese fight the Chinese, is gamey.

If I could go back and remove the DOW, I would. The situation would still be the same. See Post #1401.

If I promise not to DOW China with Italy next impulse, will you guys accept the fact that after the US picked Pass War Appropriations Bill, it was a signal to Japan that the time was now or never? Take a look at that post. It's the Ja Entry Pool which has messed with the US Entry, not the Ge/It Pool.

Even without the DOW on China, I think this was one of the most brilliant moves I've made in the game. It took a good deal of planning to have units ready to enter Siberia, Hanoi, and make a bunch of invasions all at once. I played it well, and I know I sound like I'm chewing on sour grapes here, but why didn't any of you say this was "too gamey" during the 24 hours before I did it when I was talking about all of the options in relation to China? Is this game now no longer valid in your eyes?

I just played a damned smart Axis impulse, a full turn earlier than I expected to be ready for it. But all you can see is that the DOW on China was "gamey".

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1408
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:42:26 AM   
Red Prince

Okay. I have a solution. At the start of the Allied impulse, the Soviets would DOW Italy anyway. Then I will have all 3 Majors remaining DOW Crete (to give to Italy) and manually select the numbers so that I remove the exact chits that were placed because of the DOW on China. Will that satisfy you?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1409
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/22/2012 12:54:20 AM   
composer99

I won't speak for anyone else, but I found nothing objectionable with the Japanese declarations of war. It knew it was on a tight timeline and needed to get things going.

The German declaration of war on China is what I found to be gaming the mechanics rather than playing the game. Fortunately as you say it did not have a very strong effect.

The USSR DoW on Italy is reasonable since the USSR knows the Italians will be letting Germans through to attack them.

So for me, no more Axis DoW shenanigans will do.

[Interesting trivia: it appears China declared war on Germany & Italy on December 9, 1941.]

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI