Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/4/2012 3:54:46 AM   
smokindave34

After a number of campaigns I thought I'd try my first AAR, so here goes.....Feel free to give me any tips on my strategy!

Priorities for STAVKA for summer campaign:

1) Avoid large encirclements. I'd like to keep losses to less than 3 million if possible
2) Defend Moscow to the bitter end. Based on my experience it is unlikely that I'll be able to hold Leningrad if Zonso makes it an Axis priority so I've chosen to make the defense of Moscow my priority. Additionally the manpower in Moscow is too important for the Soviets to lose
3) Rail out AP's in an efficient manner. I'll be willing to give up smaller factories close to the front while I rail out the big AP farms further East.
4) To the best extent possible I'd like to keep my cavalry out of the front line and have them at peak performance for the blizzard. Never to soon to be thinking about getting ready to roll over to the offensive.

You'll notice I forgot to get screenshots of turn 1 (can you tell I'm new at this?). However here is my status at the end of turn 2 in the North:

27th army has formed up on the Pskov line with some screening forces in front. 4th Panzer hasn't made it to my lines yet by the end of turn 2 however I'm sure I'll be pushed back from behind the river when I open up turn 3. Reinforcements are forming up a 2nd defensive line with an anchor at Novgorod.

End of Soviet T2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/4/2012 4:32:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/4/2012 4:05:04 AM   
smokindave34

Western front:

3rd Panzer is heading north of the Dvina and I expect that Zonso will have them turn south to try and outflank the land bridge. I've thrown most of my reserves into this area in an attempt to slow down AGC and make Zonso wait for his infantry to force me out of the land bridge.

4th Army is digging in along the Dnepr near Mogilev and this should prevent any easy crossings of the Dnepr by 2nd panzer. I'm hoping to hold out here until turn 4 or 5. We'll see how that turns out.......

I've put some of my "unready" units on refit back near Vyazma to start digging out next defensive belt.

End of Soviet T2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/4/2012 4:12:59 AM >

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 2
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/4/2012 4:10:16 AM   
smokindave34

SW front:

I'm trying something new here based on recent AAR's I've read. I've set up screening forces in front of the panzers with my most mobile units and moved everyone else back to the Dnepr. The goal here is to put speed bumps in front of the panzers while I dig in behind the river. Hopefully by using the mobile units I will be able to keep some of them from getting encircled.

Yes they are being sacrificed for the motherland but they don't know that yet.......

I was able to break almost all of the Lvov pockets on turns 1 and 2 however I think Zonso will make sure the pockets hold on turn 3. If nothing else that should slow him down a bit.

Not sure how this defense will turn out, I really don't like giving up all that ground in front of the river.

End of Soviet T2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/4/2012 4:34:10 AM >

Post #: 3
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/4/2012 4:11:55 AM   
smokindave34

Finally - southern front. Same strategy here as SW front. I'll keep forces in Odessa to try and force Zonso to commit German forces to capturing it. I'm hoping to make it to difficult for the Romanians alone to take it and it will be a thorn in his side if he bypasses it.

End of Soviet T2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/4/2012 4:13:37 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/7/2012 8:51:19 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 3 STAVKA report

Leningrad and NW front

The Pskov defensive line has been breached by the facists. The 27th army is charged with slowing down 4th panzer group while the 28th army digs in behind the Luga line. I've also transferred some STAVKA reserves and placed them on refit to start building forts closer to Leningrad.

I've also built a fortification just South of Osinovets to help protect this key supply port to Leningrad. I generally don't build fortifications because I like to use the AP's for organizing the Red Army but this seems like a worthwile use of my AP's.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/7/2012 8:53:59 PM   
smokindave34

A Red Army Victory

Members of the heroic 51st Rifle Corps have surrounded a large portion of XXXIX Pz Corps near Velikie Luki! This should put a real damper on Zonso's drive on Moscow as he will need to divert attention from the land bridge attack to break them free......Heroes of the Soviet Union for sure!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/7/2012 8:55:30 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/7/2012 9:01:22 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

Pretty quiet here. I have 20th and 13th Armies digging in behind the Dnepr and in the land bridge getting ready for the inevitable axis assault. I put the 7th mechanized corps on reserve to try and help support this defense. This is the only strong armored formation I have left. I dont remember all the factors that go into whether or not they support a defense while in reserve but hopefully they will join in any defense in this key area.

Further back at Moscow I have the newly formed 31st army refitting prior to being railed into stop/slow down the next axis breakthrough

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/7/2012 9:12:40 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/7/2012 9:06:05 PM   
smokindave34

Soutwestern Front:

Zonso's panzers continue to roam free in the south and he has finally sealed the Lvov pocket for good. I'm still hoping that by breaking the pocket the first 2 turns I have slowed his infantry enough to prevent any imminent crossing of the Dnepr. I have tried to line up my defenses to encourage him to push his panzers south as there is a lot more terrain to flip over there prior to getting to the river. In anticipation of this I have railed out all the AP's from D-town.

This is the first time I used this strategy (running to the Dnepr) and it stills feels uncomfortable to give up all this ground.....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/7/2012 9:11:44 PM   
smokindave34

Southern Front:

Digging in at Fortress Odessa continues in an effort to force Zonso to divert German troops to take it.

Other STAVKA priorities:

1) Transferring support units (arty, sappers) from corps to STAVKA so that I can prioritize which armies receive these support units later in the game
2) Transferred a lot of the Red air force to the reserve to refit and gain experience. Also filled out VVS with what transport I have to start supplying partisans
3) Set interdiction to 30% in an effort to get more interdiction attacks and slow down some panzers (I didn't get any last turn....)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/8/2012 4:46:36 AM   
Peltonx

Nice to see new poeple doing AAR's.

I only play German side, but if I were you I would hold Leningrad as long as possible. Watch out for the right hook. If you can tie down the infantry assaulting Leningrad long enough Moscow should hold.

If you could post losses tables screen shot starting turn 10 would be nice.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 10
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/8/2012 12:10:58 PM   
smokindave34

Pelton,

Thanks for the advice. I agree I'm vulnerable south of Lake Ilmen right now but wanted to build up my defenses on the most direct route to Leningrad first. Next wave of reinforcements will be heading to the Leningrad/NW front's.

I'll post the losses screen also. Thanks.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 11
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 6:55:32 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 4 STAVKA report

Northern and NW fronts

4th panzers pace has slowed considerably while the infantry and rail lines catch up. The Pskov defense line is a thing of the past now and 27th army has fallen back to the Lovat river to guard agains a potential "right hook". 11th army provides a screen in front of the Luga line as Northern fronts orders are to dig! dig! dig!

Not sure if Zonso will go for the "right hook", I've never had success with it. Emir Agic used it against me with mixed results - he eventually captured Leningrad but most of AGN (including 4th panzer) spent the blizzard out in the wilderness. My opinion is the direct assault is much better, 16th and 18th armies can just pound the Red army into dust until Leningrad is captured.

Leningrad was the focus of my rail evacuation this turn. I moved out all the KV-1 factories, aircraft factories and most of the armaments points.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/10/2012 7:20:07 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:01:19 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

I'm pleased with the results so far in the center. I think I have a pretty stout defense here and the land bridge defense held up pretty well last turn. I'm sure that next turn Zonso will make deliberate attacks to form a bridgehead across the Dnepr and his infantry will be far enough along to start pushing me back in the land bridge. He probably won't have a major breakthough here until turn 6 or 7 and I'll take that as a small victory if I can hold him off that long.

The Reserve front arrived this turn however I used all my admin points to transfer artillery and sapper support units from corps/front HQ's to Army HQ's and STAVKA. I'm not sure if these support units get transferred automatically to STAVKA when the corps HQ disbands but I like having control of the support units and being able to funnel them to critical areas.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/10/2012 7:05:19 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:09:03 PM   
smokindave34

XXXIX panzer corps cut off again. A determined Red Army counterattack agains the Lehr motorized brigade has cut off XXXIX panzer corps for the 2nd turn in a row! Yeah I know I beat up on a lowly motorized brigade but hey I'll take any victory I can get right now......I can almost hear the screaming and cursing coming from 3rd Panzer group HQ

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:13:47 PM   
smokindave34

Last turn I had my best armor units in reserve behind the Dnepr however I've now had a change of heart. Zonso has 2nd panzer poised to form a bridgehead over the river south of Mogilev and I can't take a chance that the armor won't provide support for this defense. I moved 1st motorized and 14/18 tank division to the front lines to provide direct support in this critical area.

I'm starting to suspect that Zonso may be going for a Kiev pocket once 2nd panzer is over the river - will need to watch closely his moves next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:18:01 PM   
smokindave34

SW front:

I was able to break into the Zhitomir pocket and re-supply my trapped divisions. The plan here is to continue to slow down the panzers while I dig in behind the river. Recon shows that the panzers are getting low on fuel so hopefully the pace of advance will slow down here. Zonso had lots of panzer brigades at the tip of his assault and I considered attacks on these units but decided to pull my best armor back behind the river to support the inevitable attack in this area. I may have missed an opporunity to give him a bloody nose........

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:21:51 PM   
smokindave34

Southern Front:

If you are in my Red army this is the front you want assigned to! Pretty quite down here as the Rumanians and 11th army move east slowly......

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 7:25:51 PM   
smokindave34

Losses through turn 4

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 10:37:09 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

SW front:

Zonso had lots of panzer brigades at the tip of his assault and I considered attacks on these units but decided to pull my best armor back behind the river to support the inevitable attack in this area. I may have missed an opporunity to give him a bloody nose........

you did.

Bashing a regiment is easy and satisfying. Knocking 1 brigade back will reduce its MPs for next turn. That messes up the whole division as it will then have fewer MPs when it reforms nxt turn. If it doesn't reform, it either goes nowhere or the regiments pay massive movement penalties.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 19
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/10/2012 11:47:34 PM   
smokindave34

Sillyflower,

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't consider the effect on MP's. Since my goal is to slow him down it looks like I missed an opportunity - another lesson learned.......

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 20
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/16/2012 2:41:21 PM   
smokindave34

Turn 5 STAVKA report:

I finished stripping out all my support units from corps/front HQ's and sending them to STAVKA. I transferred the support units already assigned to STAVKA to my newly formed armies (most went to the Reserve front armies).

Now that this is done next turn I will start to change out the leaders in my army/front HQ's. I'm reluctant to change out leaders in the first few turns as there is little chance to stem the axis advance but from now on I think good leaders can make a difference - I'll start with SW front armies to try and hold off the lower Dnepr crossing.

I finished railing out all industry from Leningrad and next turn will get the T-34 factories out of Kharkov.

Northern Front:

The 3rd tank and 177 infantry division cut off leading elements of LVI corps. I'm still not sure how Zonso will attack Leningrad but any right hook attempt will be seriously delayed by LVI corps getting cut off. This bought the 27 army another turn to dig in......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/16/2012 3:02:25 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/16/2012 2:47:03 PM   
smokindave34

Western Front:

This is where it gets ugly for the Soviets. I don't have any prepared defenses to fall back to and Zonso's rail head is catching up to the panzers. I don't detect any HQ buildups but its coming soon......

Zonso succeeded on 2 of 3 river crossing and 3rd panzer is pushing through the land bridge. I've tried to fall back leaving behind troops in forts to screen my withdrawal. My goal here is to prevent any major encirclements while the reserve front digs in my next defensive line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/16/2012 2:48:50 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/16/2012 2:51:02 PM   
smokindave34

I continue to suspect that Zonso is going to send 2nd panzer group south to try and pull off a Kiev encirclement. Both of his Dnepr crossings were by Guderian's 2nd panzer group and I suspect next turn he will widen the bridgehead and on turn 7 rush the panzers through. I moved up SW front's 32 army to start protecting the SW fronts right flank against this.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/16/2012 2:56:05 PM   
smokindave34

SW front continues to dig in and I have mostly level 2 forts behind the river. Most defensive CV's are 10+ so Zonso is going to need the infantry to dig me out. One area of concern I have is that I couldn't find XXXXVI corps - I see a panzer unit further west and suspect thats XXXXVI corps is building up. He may be able to cross the Dnepr west of Chernigov so I push some units further north to guard agains it. I'm afraid I'll open up the next turn and see armor across the river - I spent a lot of time digging in down here and would hate to see that time waisted....

The newly formed 16th army starts digging in behind the Psel. All indications are that Zonso is going to cross the Dnepr near Kiev and I want to be ready for his next move.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/16/2012 2:58:27 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/16/2012 2:59:57 PM   
smokindave34

Southern Front continues to be quiet. I leave a BIG open space down here to try and bait Zonso into diverting 1st panzer south. It looks for sure like he is going to cross near Kiev when the 6th army catches up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 2:37:25 AM   
smokindave34

Turn 6 STAVKA report:

Northern and NW fronts - Recon indicates that XXXXI corps is gassed up and ready to assault the Luga line next turn. I've been able to dig in here for a few turns however I don't have much "defense in depth" and Zonso has the potential to blow a big hole in my lines here. I know I probably won't hold Leningrad so my goal is to tie down 4th Panzer group for as long as possible. If needed I'll fall back to the forts right outside Leningrad. I did build one fortification unit just east of Pavlovo to keep the port (and supplies!) open to Leningrad.

One advantage I have is that Zonso has LVI corps south of the lake so I'm not going to get pounded by the full weight of his panzers. Unfortunately next turn I'm going to have to start sending some brigades and security divisions to hold up the Finns east of Lake Ilmen. I typically don't build fortifications for this because I would rather spend the admin points on organizing the Red army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/22/2012 2:42:54 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 2:44:42 AM   
smokindave34

Western Front

Trying to use the Western front armies as a shield while my Reserve front digs in the Soviet second defensive line. I should get at least one more turn for the Reserve front to dig in and hopefully I'll have level 1 or 2 forts by then.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/22/2012 2:46:36 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 2:47:09 AM   
smokindave34

More of the Western front. I feel pretty good in the fact that I haven't allowed Zonso to pull off any large encirclements yet - although I'm sure his rail lines are now catching up......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/22/2012 2:49:27 AM >

Post #: 28
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 2:53:30 AM   
smokindave34

SW front:

I spent most of my admin points here this turn. I changed out leaders for the 21st, 5th, and 19th armies as they will face the facist forces attempting to cross the Dnepr. The following get new assignments and orders from Comrade Stalin to hold the line:

21st Army - Rokossovsky
5th Army - Tolbukhin
19th Army - Malinovsky

Any time I save here is important as once Zonso is over the river he will probably chase me east until the mud hits.

Also - all the T-34 factories have been evacuated from Kharkov - I can't take any chances with those!

One thing that concerns me here is that recon can't find the XXXXVI panzer corps???? I hope I don't get surprised by them next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 1/22/2012 2:57:45 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) - 1/22/2012 3:09:33 AM   
smokindave34

Southern Front:

I'm not sure these guys believe a war is actually going on. They spend their time digging foxholes, reading Vasilly Grossman's reports from Smolensk and wondering when their chance will come to crush the facist invader.

Not shown but Odessa if finally under siege. 2 German division have been dispatched from 11th army to take this fortress.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> 41-45GC Smokindave (Sov) vs. Zonso (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI