Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 1:29:18 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

With only 3 Air Missions now, I was considering the Ground Strike (shown with the black arrow) and realized I have another possibility to help hold the river line. I need only 1 Air Mission to get one of the FTRs in the North retreated -- the other can wait an impulse -- so I was thinking that maybe I should use Air Reorganization on these units (shown with blue arrows) instead of conducting the Ground Strike. These two units are going to end up Isolated, almost certainly, and able to be destroyed with as few as 8 or 10 factors, assuming the Germans take Chisinau. But if they are reorganized . . . well, they may be stuck where they are, but they'll be strong at least.

I'm very tired, and I want to be sure to implement the suggestions for the Soviet defense correctly, so I'm going to take a nap. In the meantime, please let me know if you think I should Ground Strike or Reorganize . . . or neither.

I'd save at least one of the ATRs. The turn is likely to be short but I would be surprised if you don't find another excellent use for an ATR later in the turn.

In any event, I wouldn't reorg the antitank gun; it's just too wimpish for my taste (e.g., no ZOC).

If possible, a ground strike on the 8-5 armor with TB-7 is something I'd do. If successful, that would prevent the attack on the 6-3 & 3-2 AT since the Germans could only get 11 factors against it at most. Then I would definitely be interested in reorganizing the 6-3, since it looks like it might have a chance to live to fight another day.

Ground striking the INF and MOT doesn't do much to prevent the penetration of the Germans through the holes in the line. It is the forward elements that you want to stop. And if the weather turns nice in the North Temperate, with the turn running 5 or 7 impulses, it is the armor that you want to see sitting disorganized back in Rumania.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1471
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 1:41:59 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

With only 3 Air Missions now, I was considering the Ground Strike (shown with the black arrow) and realized I have another possibility to help hold the river line. I need only 1 Air Mission to get one of the FTRs in the North retreated -- the other can wait an impulse -- so I was thinking that maybe I should use Air Reorganization on these units (shown with blue arrows) instead of conducting the Ground Strike. These two units are going to end up Isolated, almost certainly, and able to be destroyed with as few as 8 or 10 factors, assuming the Germans take Chisinau. But if they are reorganized . . . well, they may be stuck where they are, but they'll be strong at least.

I'm very tired, and I want to be sure to implement the suggestions for the Soviet defense correctly, so I'm going to take a nap. In the meantime, please let me know if you think I should Ground Strike or Reorganize . . . or neither.

I'd save at least one of the ATRs. The turn is likely to be short but I would be surprised if you don't find another excellent use for an ATR later in the turn.

In any event, I wouldn't reorg the antitank gun; it's just too wimpish for my taste (e.g., no ZOC).

If possible, a ground strike on the 8-5 armor with TB-7 is something I'd do. If successful, that would prevent the attack on the 6-3 & 3-2 AT since the Germans could only get 11 factors against it at most. Then I would definitely be interested in reorganizing the 6-3, since it looks like it might have a chance to live to fight another day.

Ground striking the INF and MOT doesn't do much to prevent the penetration of the Germans through the holes in the line. It is the forward elements that you want to stop. And if the weather turns nice in the North Temperate, with the turn running 5 or 7 impulses, it is the armor that you want to see sitting disorganized back in Rumania.

I actually came to almost the same conclusion, realizing I could make the Ground Strike and still reorganize the 6-3 INF. I nailed the MOT, but not the INF in the strike. Then I saw this post and decided I'd try the strike again, but against the ARM. If it didn't work, I could always restore the game and take the first one . . . well, it worked, so the ARM bites the dust (until it is reorganized, if it is).

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1472
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:36:26 AM   
Red Prince

Took Steve's advice almost to the individual counters. There were a few under stacks he didn't really know what they were, so I improvised which should go where. But I like the situation better now. I'd like it even more if there were a lot more units hanging around, but with what is available, I think this will work well enough. The image below is just an overview, without weather or flags.

I am worried about the Northern Front. I'm going to have to make my stand between Leningrad and Novgorod, then from Vitebsk to Gomel here. If Germany manages to get this far before the end of the turn, there is a very real danger that the front will collapse. Germany is a little heavy on units in this area as compared to the Rumanian border, and that will mean big losses in the North, but I guess it's better to lose the territory there and keep the Dnieper line intact, if possible.

The next three factories to rail are going to have to be Vitebsk, Kiev, and Leningrad. The order will depend on the threat to each one, but I probably won't get a chance to send another one to Murmansk (the Odessa factory went there this impulse), so 2 will go to Archangel, and the 3rd will find a home somewhere like Karaganda or Omsk.

In the end, I did reorganize that 6-3 INF. If the weather in the South remains Fine, he should be able to escape to Nikolayev next impulse.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1473
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:50:02 AM   
Red Prince

And, so we move on to impulse #5 for the Axis, with another soggy weather roll:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1474
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:53:11 AM   
composer99

Just the weather the USSR wants to see: half movement, half supply, half the ground strike rating on the Stukas.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1475
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:55:48 AM   
composer99

The weather's not so hot for strat bombing, but don't forget to fly CW bombers extended range if it means they'll escape the range of German fighter cover over factories.

Although now that the fighter cover over Lille is exhausted, it's bombs away over France.

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1476
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 3:07:59 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Just the weather the USSR wants to see: half movement, half supply, half the ground strike rating on the Stukas.

Even in this weather, I should be able to make 3 solid attacks in the North, against Riga, north of Vilna, and on Minsk. Not spectacular attacks, but solid. In the South, the things that were going to die will die (Chisinau, the CAV), but Cernauti and Odessa or safe for now. This does limit the range of the 6-3 INF the Soviets just reorganized, too. And, since I used up my best Stukas last impulse, this actually gives me a good reason to move my fighters and more bombers to the front, since I won't be using Ground Strikes this impulse.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1477
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 8:35:21 AM   
Red Prince

While I'm working on the Axis impulse, this is just a reminder to get your votes in on a USA DOW on whichever theatre has better odds at 30%-40% or higher. Currently, a DOW on the EuroAxis is 60%, I think.

So far the vote is 2-0 in favor of risking the DOW.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1478
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 9:11:43 AM   
BallyJ

Regarding the DOW by the USA.
As the entry level is so high.
I say take the shot at any thing at or over 40%.
Keep trying.
If it fails and tention is lowered raise it again in US entry and try again.
You only have to get lucky once.
regards John

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1479
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:10:08 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: BallyJ

Regarding the DOW by the USA.
As the entry level is so high.
I say take the shot at any thing at or over 40%.
Keep trying.
If it fails and tention is lowered raise it again in US entry and try again.
You only have to get lucky once.
regards John

That makes it 3-0 for 40% or better, with Orm, Centuur and BallyJ all in favor.
-----
Another Question: I'm setting up German attacks, and I'm wondering how soon the Soviets should attempt to lower the odds with Ground Support. This impulse is bad for it because of the Rain conditions everywhere, but in general it's something I don't always know when to do . . . switching from Ground Strike duty to Ground Support duty.

I assume it depends on 3 things:

1. How important the hex is to the overall defense.
2. How much of an odds decrease it can get.
3. How late in the turn it is -- the later being better for Ground Support as opposed to Ground Strikes.

Is this even remotely correct?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to BallyJ)
Post #: 1480
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:24:29 AM   
Red Prince

Here are the 5 attacks I have planned for the Germans this impulse, shown in context:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1481
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 1:33:04 PM   
Lothrim

Your rules seeems fine.

I go by the following rules:

1. Never fly a mission unless you are sure you can land in a safe hex. A safe hex being defined as a hex where you will not be overrun and acess to oil is assured.
2. Keep far away from german fighters, risky attacks are for sturmoviks later in the war. If critical consider flying a night mission.
3. Do not spend you last bomber as germany can then ignore the threat
4. HQ's are super targets for GS's, almost never GS other units as a well placed ground support can flip 4+ targets at the same time.
5. Go for support of targets with few factors. A 3 factor cav can be doubled by airpower, but a fully stacked Kiev with 15 factors is difficult to support. (This is different if not playing with fractional odds)
6. Late in the turn it is not about flipping units, but about inflicting casualties.

Would I support any of the attacks that germany makes right now?
Please bear in mind that I do not have the full details, only you have that, so I might suggest something stupid :-)

3-5 cav north of Vilna: No it is in a forrest and in rain.
4 inf in Minsk: Yes, unless germany has brought fighters that 3 factor DB-3F bomber could fly and land just north of gomel. It would provide 1,5 points rounded up to 2 (or is that rounding later in the process..?)
Stack NE of Cernauti: No
2-5 Cav: No, it is dead anyway.
Chisinau: Yes, if no german fighters can intercept and there is a plane able to support. Failing to capture this city would be a huge german failure

quote:

-----
Another Question: I'm setting up German attacks, and I'm wondering how soon the Soviets should attempt to lower the odds with Ground Support. This impulse is bad for it because of the Rain conditions everywhere, but in general it's something I don't always know when to do . . . switching from Ground Strike duty to Ground Support duty.

3. How late in the turn it is -- the later being better for Ground Support as opposed to Ground Strikes.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1482
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 1:42:51 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lothrim

Your rules seeems fine.

I go by the following rules:

1. Never fly a mission unless you are sure you can land in a safe hex. A safe hex being defined as a hex where you will not be overrun and acess to oil is assured.
2. Keep far away from german fighters, risky attacks are for sturmoviks later in the war. If critical consider flying a night mission.
3. Do not spend you last bomber as germany can then ignore the threat
4. HQ's are super targets for GS's, almost never GS other units as a well placed ground support can flip 4+ targets at the same time.
5. Go for support of targets with few factors. A 3 factor cav can be doubled by airpower, but a fully stacked Kiev with 15 factors is difficult to support. (This is different if not playing with fractional odds)
6. Late in the turn it is not about flipping units, but about inflicting casualties.

Would I support any of the attacks that germany makes right now?
Please bear in mind that I do not have the full details, only you have that, so I might suggest something stupid :-)

3-5 cav north of Vilna: No it is in a forrest and in rain.
4 inf in Minsk: Yes, unless germany has brought fighters that 3 factor DB-3F bomber could fly and land just north of gomel. It would provide 1,5 points rounded up to 2 (or is that rounding later in the process..?)
Stack NE of Cernauti: No
2-5 Cav: No, it is dead anyway.
Chisinau: Yes, if no german fighters can intercept and there is a plane able to support. Failing to capture this city would be a huge german failure

quote:

-----

You'll see the full story in my next post, but Chisinau could not be supported strongly enough to let it survive. I didn't provide any for Minsk, either, but I'll let you decide if that was smart or not. I should be posting the results of all battles soon. I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out which tables to use on a few of the attacks.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 1:43:22 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Lothrim)
Post #: 1483
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:16:53 PM   
Klydon

I would take a shot with the US. The European theater is hurting right now and they need to get involved in order to put pressure on the Axis there.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1484
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:33:54 PM   
composer99

Count me in as a vote in favour of US trying to DoW Germany/Italy at the first opportunity.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1485
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 2:54:00 PM   
Red Prince

That makes it 5-0 at this point, and that seems like a resounding yell for help. Looks like a US DOW in the EuroAxis is coming up soon . . . but first, the Axis impulse attacks:
-----
I thought long and hard before adding the final attack on Singapore by the Japanese, using the strong INF and the wimpy MIL units. I finally decided that I wasn't likely to be using these units again this turn, so I could afford to disorganize them and lose the MIL if it came to that. With an 86% chance at 3:1 odds (with Shore Bombardment and Ground Support), here are the percentages:

70% chance of clearing the hex
60% chance of gaining the hex
40% chance of gaining the hex without suffering a loss
10% chance of gaining the hex and remaining organized
-----
10% chance of losing both units without destroying the enemy MIL
10% chance of losing both units and clearing the hex

Anyway, with these odds and little chance of reinforcements coming for the CW, I decided it was worth the risk. So, the attacks for Impulse #5:

And the results:

Attack on Latvia [44, 50]: Blitz, Fractional Odds .979 (No), Roll = Automatic = */2B
Attack on Minsk: Assault, Roll = 3 = -/1 (attackers disorganized)
Attack on Poland [52, 52]: Assault, Roll = Automatic
Attack on Poland [55, 52]: Bitz, Fractional Odds .654 (No), Roll = 8 = */2B
Attack on Chisinau: Assault, Roll = 9+1 = 10 = */2S
Attack on Singapore: Assault, Fractional Odds .673 (Yes), Roll = 10 = */2S; USE-8 (+1 chit, 730 [4])

The attack on Minsk was an Assault because of the 50/50 chance of moving up to 6:1 odds on the Blitz CRT. While that means a 30% chance for the INF to survive to fight another day (on either 5:1 or 6:1 odds), it only offered a 10% chance that it would be as a Retreat. The deciding factor was really the Fractional Odds roll. At 6:1 odds, the Germans were almost certain to remain organized (90%). The 5:1 Blitz drops that to 70%, and the 5:1 Assault CRT drops it again to 50. In an Assault the defending INF dies no matter what the roll is, so it came down to the fact that the turn probably won't be a long one, and anything I can do to slow the Germans down is good. Since the attack involved 2 Oil dependent units and a top INF, I chose to take the 50/50 chance to disorganize them now. 2 minutes later: As it turns out, this was the right decision.

The attack NE of Cernauti was another tough decision. 5:1 Assault, or 5:1 Blitz with a 57% chance at 6:1. HQ Support garauntees that HQ-I von Leeb will end up disorganized, but the other 6 units attacking are the question. This is the attack selected in the image above, by the way. I finally decided on a Blitz combat. Even at 6:1, there's a 50% chance of the MTN surviving, and that would be a nice addition to the Persian front if Germany doesn't convert this to a Retreat. If Germany does, then it can only retreat into Cernauti . . . not something Germany would like to deal with. The downside to the Blitz table is the same as for Minsk -- a 70% to 90% chance the attackers remain organized. I even checked the weather before making this decision . . . and there's only a 30% chance that the weather will let these units move very far next impulse, so Blitz it is. 2 minutes later: Fractional Odds was a close call, but failed, not that it mattered. Once again, Germany rolled just high enough to be a pain in the neck. A roll of '7' would have meant survival for the MTN, but they rolled an '8' instead. Rats.

For Chisinau, there was really no choice. The INF was toast, and there was a tiny chance he'd disorganize his attackers (20%). He didn't. Not by a long shot.

All I can say about the attack on Singapore is that I didn't cheat. I swear it by anything you want me to swear by. The Japanese really did beat the odds and take it without getting disorganized. It did, however, cost them a lot of Oil in terms of Shore Bombardment and Ground Support. Some comfort that is, huh? Oh, and another high chit got added to the Ja Entry Pool.

A pretty successful impulse for the Axis, even with the Rain, I'd say.
-----
Edit: In case you were wondering, the Japanese don't suffer the -1 Odds Column penalty for attacking a Jungle hex. I made sure to check that before I decided to make the attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 2:55:46 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1486
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 3:16:28 PM   
Red Prince

To finish off the impulse, I rebased 4 German FTRs to the front lines, sent an Italian NAV to British Somaliland, and rebased 2 Japanese NAV. One of them flew from Truk to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, triggering another USE roll and another chit. It wasn't quite high enough to drop the odds of a successful American DOW on Germany and Italy down to 50%, but it added to the pool, as you can see below.

I also debated using Rommel to reorganize those 2 MECH that were flipped during the attack on Minsk and another INF, but decided against it. There are still a few more impulses likely, and some fairly empty territory ahead.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1487
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 3:21:18 PM   
Red Prince

Even though the weather hasn't been terrific, I'm glad I started up the war this turn. One of my worries was that the Germans wouldn't be able to kill off enough Soviet units . . . while doubling their production. Well, roughly halfway through the first turn of war, 34 BP worth of Russians are dead, so I'd say you were right to urge me to DOW at the first good opportunity.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1488
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 3:56:06 PM   
Red Prince

Here is the moment you've all been waiting for . . . the first USA DOW attempt on both Germany and Italy!
-----
This is a long image, with 6 forms combined into one picture that you can scroll down through to follow the action.

As you can see, it didn't hurt to try it. Both chances to DOW are still at the same levels, so maybe they'll get a better roll next impulse.
-----
Over the course of the game, I've seen that the die rolls do even out, but I find it interesting that it "feels" like there are streaks at times. If you look at all of the rolls for the Axis attacks and throw this one in, that's a lot of high numbers in a row. If you were to check back with the die rolls for Japan taking cities in 1939, you'd see a bunch of low rolls in a row, and then during 1940 it was a lot of high rolls again.

Yes, this does even out over time, but it can sometimes make things just as frustrating as in a game played over the table. I've yet to play a game of any kind which didn't make me feel the dice were loaded at times. For the sake of the Allies, let's hope these virtual dice don't stay loaded in this direction for too long.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1489
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 4:03:31 PM   
Red Prince

Here's an overview of the Front at the start of Impulse #7. I'll get some more detail pictures up shortly so that you can see what is actually there.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1490
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 4:51:20 PM   
Red Prince

1 of 3, the Far North:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1491
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 4:51:30 PM   
Red Prince

2 of 3, the North:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1492
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 4:51:38 PM   
Red Prince

3 of 3, the South:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1493
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:09:51 PM   
Red Prince

This is what I'm thinking about as a starting point for stalling the Germans up North . . .

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1494
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:26:15 PM   
Red Prince

So far, in the Ukraine, this is all I can think of to do, with the blue arrow the best option because it keeps the unit in supply even though it's going to have to get disorganized.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1495
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:37:27 PM   
Red Prince

Finally, here's the plan so far in Persia. I don't know if I should move Zhukov or the CAV, and I'm going to leave the 4-3 INF in Teheran.
-----
Edit: I should note that it's likely to be 2 more impulses (at least) before the Germans actually pose a threat, because the Italian HQs are slow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 5:39:20 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1496
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:40:49 PM   
Centuur

I would suggest to rail the other GAR out of Riga into Pskov. Yeremenko should be moved to Vitebsk and a unit out of Vitebsk should move into the woods (if this is possible, since I don't know if both units in Vitebsk are disorganised, if not, move Yeremenko NE). He needs to survive and is far to vulnerable. Never put a USSR HQ on the front. Don't move the CAV out of Pskov to the hex you're suggesting, since that hex is a clear hex. The thing is: he's dead if you do so. I would want to keep him alive for now. The 6-4 black could move into the hex with the 5-4 white and that unit could than move in the woods hex W of Vitebsk. Than also, the Germans can't reach USSR units (except Pskov) provided the weather doesn't become Fine, and that's good
This gives you the advantage of strengthening the defense of Pskov. It isn't that bad for the Germans to move northwards. You should prevent any move eastward...

In the south, things aren't good, however: the Germans can't reach the Dnjepr yet. The 6-3 can move towards Odessa and the unit in Nikolayev can move accros the river. Also: I would suggest to find a better place for Timoshenko (start moving him eastwards).

I think the next factory to be moved has to be Kiev, since that hex is the most crappy to defend at this moment.

"What happened in Singapore", is the House of Commons shouting at Mr. Churchill... Bad luck for the CW, indeed...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/23/2012 5:41:58 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1497
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:44:53 PM   
Centuur

Aren't the Germans OOS in Persia? If so: can you ground strike the MECH and kill it in a 5-1? That would be very, very nice, killing a German MECH. However, only do so, if you are sure Zhukov will survive...

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1498
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:54:29 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I would suggest to rail the other GAR out of Riga into Pskov. Yeremenko should be moved to Vitebsk and a unit out of Vitebsk should move into the woods (if this is possible, since I don't know if both units in Vitebsk are disorganised, if not, move Yeremenko NE). He needs to survive and is far to vulnerable. Never put a USSR HQ on the front. Don't move the CAV out of Pskov to the hex you're suggesting, since that hex is a clear hex. The thing is: he's dead if you do so. I would want to keep him alive for now. The 6-4 black could move into the hex with the 5-4 white and that unit could than move in the woods hex W of Vitebsk. Than also, the Germans can't reach USSR units (except Pskov) provided the weather doesn't become Fine, and that's good
This gives you the advantage of strengthening the defense of Pskov. It isn't that bad for the Germans to move northwards. You should prevent any move eastward...

In the south, things aren't good, however: the Germans can't reach the Dnjepr yet. The 6-3 can move towards Odessa and the unit in Nikolayev can move accros the river. Also: I would suggest to find a better place for Timoshenko (start moving him eastwards).

I think the next factory to be moved has to be Kiev, since that hex is the most crappy to defend at this moment.

"What happened in Singapore", is the House of Commons shouting at Mr. Churchill... Bad luck for the CW, indeed...

In bold above . . . technically, neither Timoshenko or Yeremenko were on the front when this all started. Both are slow. The front is catching up to them.

One of the problems with giving up Riga without a fight is that it's not just a city, it's also an extra unit in a turn or two (I think it's a GARR, which makes it 2 turns). If the GARR stays where he is, the Germans will have to stick around in the area to put together a strong enough force to beat him . . . meaning they can't charge North or East until he's taken care of.

As for the rest of what you said about the northern front, I'm sorry to say, I found it a little confusing. I can tell you that Vitebsk is unavailable for another Corps -- both units are disorganized.

In the south, it's a toss-up. Do I block a move across the river NW of Odessa? Or do I try to block a move toward Kiev? If it snows, Kiev is only 2 impulses away right now. Which means I agree with you that its factory needs to find its way to Archangel this impulse.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1499
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 5:58:21 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Aren't the Germans OOS in Persia? If so: can you ground strike the MECH and kill it in a 5-1? That would be very, very nice, killing a German MECH. However, only do so, if you are sure Zhukov will survive...

It would be very nice, but I haven't had time to get my LND in range yet. Maybe the 17 range one is, but I don't remember because it has to fly around Turkey. I have 2 or 3 LND heading that way, but they only got halfway there before the attacks began this turn.

I've also been burned on 5:1 attacks with Zhukov before. In my last game, he died on the 5th impulse in a 2-unit 5:1 attack on Teheran that rolled up a '1' and killed them both. I think it's too risky at the moment.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 5:59:03 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI