Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The ship that would not die - USS Laffey

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The ship that would not die - USS Laffey Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 12:47:58 PM   
PeteG662

WWII destroyer returning home to SC after repairs

By BRUCE SMITH | Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — "The Ship That Would Not Die" is coming home to South Carolina.

The World War II destroyer Laffey returns to a berth at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum on Charleston Harbor on Wednesday. The vessel was moved more than two years ago to a dry dock so its hull could be repaired at a cost of about $9 million.

It's now being returned to a berth near the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown at the museum. Some veterans from the Laffey are welcoming the destroyer home.

The Laffey is known as "The Ship That Would Not Die" because it didn't sink despite Japanese bombs and kamikaze attacks during the war.

Post #: 1
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 1:52:58 PM   
BB57

Laffey is said to be the most heavily damaged ship in WWII that didn't sink. My brother-in-law was on the Laffey in the late '60s. After watching the show on the History Channel he said the 40 mm mount that was his GQ station wasn't there!

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 2
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 2:05:20 PM   
michaelm75au

Is that a different ship to this one.
USS Laffey (DD-459) was a Benson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. She was the first destroyer named for Bartlett Laffey. Laffey was laid down 13 January 1941 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Company, San Francisco, California; launched 30 October 1941; sponsored by Miss Eleanor G. Forgerty, granddaughter of Seaman Laffey; and commissioned 31 March 1942, Lieutenant Commander William E. Hank in command. She was lost in action on 13 November 1942.

Michael

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 3
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 2:06:32 PM   
michaelm75au

Answered my own question.
USS Laffey (DD-724), an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer, was the 2nd ship of the United States Navy to be named for Bartlett Laffey. Seaman Laffey was awarded the Medal of Honor for his stand against Confederate forces on 5 March 1864. The ship earned the nickname "The Ship That Would Not Die" for her exploits during the D-Day invasion and the battle of Okinawa when it successfully withstood a determined assault by both conventional and kamikaze air attacks. It is a U.S. National Historic Landmark and is preserved as a museum ship in Charleston, South Carolina but has been closed since August 4, 2009.[1] Laffey's keel was laid down on 28 June 1943 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; launched on 21 November; sponsored by Ms. Beatrice F. Laffey, daughter of Seaman Laffey; and commissioned on 8 February 1944, with Commander F. Julian Becton in command.

Michael

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 4
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 2:50:36 PM   
spence

The first USS Laffey might have been renowned as the ship that sank the Hiei. IF she'd been another 100 yards or so further away from Hiei the torpedoes she had launched might have traveled far enough to arm before they hit.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 5
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/25/2012 3:05:22 PM   
Feinder

I'm taking the family to Patriot's Point on March 16th and 17th...
I'm glad to see that Laffy will be back in time!

Also going to Wilmington to see the USS NoCal on the 19th.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 6
RE: The ship that would not die - USS Laffey - 1/26/2012 2:35:40 AM   
Skyros

Make sure you take all of the self guided tours on the Yorktown. They have a number of cool model ships scattered about that are really cool. I posted some pics a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the museum is in debt fixing the Laffey and is in desperate need of a major cash infusion.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The ship that would not die - USS Laffey Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI