Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/17/2001 2:50:00 AM   
MindSpy

What makes SP games SP games! Clearly a game should allow for editing and rules creation. Individual movement of units as well please. When players attack with an idea or concept, these rules or inventions help to create simulations of real or expected battle field situations. As well the battle field as a whole before and after can also be represented. As such we only require that a game have the basics of it's program function correctly and that the game allow for editing and additions so that many varied battles and moves to battles can be explored (supply additions would also be nice as many battles could also be simulated) the players with a game that has it's mechanics working well would thus be able to complete what cannot be maintained within a program: to reflect the battle field at all times. Something that is well understood!!! First of all, SP is superior in many respects to SL-COI-GI ... ASL/2. It can be played by considerably more players with greater ease as well. Unfortunately SP's requires electricity beyond the battery size! SP also does not require the use of trees to be played(paper). So we have established that SP1 was a modest improvement over previous board wargames, and one of the most significant to date, SL. Then along comes SP2 an enormous improvement over SP1 without question much as COI improved SL. A small detour occurred in SP3 but the game still remained well represented with SP2 and SP3. Beyond doubt the single greatest event in keeping SP alive beyond 1-2-3 was the arrival of SPWW2 and it's continuing versions. Although SPWW2 packs quite a whallop for only 30megs of space (less if you remove unnecessary files) and was the games most significant version for a fairly long run SPWAW finally reached it's climatic release. It is now 2068 and the latest version of SPWat ARMS/Control/"..." is out and although it may not be couched in it's original language it still retains many elements of the original offspring. Yes, although representations of life are only game based, it is still possible for the players to appreciate the concerns and to an approximation the tactics of the Government vs InCorporation soldier in the Fauna and Fields of the globe. What makes SP SP is that players play it although in it's most basic form (the one you receive and dload) it is quite simple. However with modest changes players can remove the freedom of long runs by units (usu. armoured) to run around -draw fire-escape-find units that usu. require significant amounts of time and effort to be discovered before they fire-and so on -and of course command and control and supply is all there for you to simulate and control while every unit within a game mechanics constraint is there for you to move manually!!! I don't know of anything better than a game that can be amalgamated with other games and historical records as well as SPWAW. If so please send me it's name: MAILTO:eyespymind@yahoo.ca Please do not forget that it must fulfill the above requirements! COMPLETELY.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 61
- 1/17/2001 3:57:00 AM   
Mac_MatrixForum

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Orc4hire: THe SOPs are where the rubber meets the road. Being able to choose a trigger forma set of options and a response in "If...then" style to create orders is at the heart of what we are trying to do! We think we can do a good job, the real problem will be keeping a baseline simple enough to keep ease of play low, yet with the flexibility for the hard core.
Great to hear that! I was thinking it would be something like this, (ok praying ) , because I really like the option of customizing the behaviour, as much as possible. I understand that this is going to be a major programming effort with all the events and triggers and designing a scripting language/interface for that but this should really rock. Please make your system extensible so you can keep adding those customizable things (more events/triggers) as long as the CL-engine is in use! That way you don't have to do the full set for the first version. And what makes SP SP for me? Well I always loved the detail and 1 tank icon for 1 tank scale, which was unheard of (at least for me) before SP 1 arrived. I love browsing the Encyclopedia for info. I know CL will be a lot more detailed. Just keep the details visible enough so I'll love it straight away. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 62
- 1/18/2001 7:42:00 AM   
MindSpy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mac: [B] Great to hear that! : ACk Mein Herr. It wvas the Vorlons No I don't recall who the Vorlons fought that required being faced off with a three edged sword though MINDSPY

Post #: 63
- 1/18/2001 8:25:00 AM   
troopie

quote:

Originally posted by MindSpy: [QUOTE]Originally posted by Mac: [B] Great to hear that! : ACk Mein Herr. It wvas the Vorlons No I don't recall who the Vorlons fought that required being faced off with a three edged sword though MINDSPY
A Mimbari exploration ship has vanished. Its last message has been received. It was "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." Wonder what that means? troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 64
- 1/18/2001 12:47:00 PM   
Tsknrdr

I for one am excited about CL. The prospect of a SP that isn't hampered by Grigsby's aging engine has me salivating with anticipation. IMHO great graphics and sound, as long as they aren't done at the expense of basic game mechanics, can only help deepen the sense of immersion that has been the hallmark of the SP series since its beginning. Since so many good attributes of SP have been brought to light, may I raise a negative. One word: AI. Please oh please oh please give us a decent AI player. I'd like to raise one other point. I view the Real Time/ Turn Based option in CL as a blessing. That combination has been done before, in a mass market game called XCOM Apocalypse (XCOM3). Previous to XCOM3 the series was turn based, and the compromise was hailed as being a slick, unobtrusive way of pleasing both the series faithful and new gamers the developers were hoping to capture. Lets face it, if including RT helps bring new PAYING gamers into the Matrix fold, that is a very good thing for all of us.

The unexamined life is not worth living.

Post #: 65
- 1/19/2001 10:08:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

quote:

Originally posted by MindSpy: It wvas the Vorlons No I don't recall who the Vorlons fought that required being faced off with a three edged sword though
From episode Into the Fire: "Oh, but I do understand! And that's what's got you worried, isn't it? A Vorlon said: understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth. And the truth is we don't need you anymore." Sheridan interpreting the original Kosh-quote. I don't remember anything about Vorlons fighting with a three-edged sword. ... arrr going too much off-topic. ... Mac out. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 66
- 1/20/2001 1:14:00 AM   
MindSpy

quote:

Originally posted by Mac: From episode Into the Fire: "Oh, but I do understand! And that's what's got you worried, isn't it? A Vorlon said: understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth. And the truth is we don't need you anymore." Sheridan interpreting the original Kosh-quote. I don't remember anything about Vorlons fighting with a three-edged sword. ... arrr going too much off-topic. ... Mac out.
Actually we are not that far off topic, we aren't really, you are right, talking about the game but it does apply somewhat. Matrix is many games, and if they were all on one sword -- you get the picture. Nothing wrong with a game not being like another game, that is the whole point of wanting to play something new even if it is in a similar category. Nothing wrong with a game that is considered by some inferior and by others the minimum required to get their attention. Only that they be played! MINDSPY Aphorism or Metaphor. I don't recall who the Vorlons fought against or who they knew had fought, that they coined the term 3-edged blade. The irony is that a 3-edged blade doesn't work as well as a two or one edged blade. It doesn't have, the kill in one stroke quality. However, even a light hit from a multi-edged sword can over time kill, loss of blood or fluids or by what can now penetrate the body that could not before. Although the Vorlons and Shadows fought Sheridan their leaving is 3-blade (what can in their abscence now enter that could not before into the other world's affairs? I geuss in time we will know. Hence if the Vorlons weren't going to play by the Unified world's rules then they weren't going to be needed as much (hence everyone is fighting against one another: in an epsiode where the two major powers are trying to convince the Unified force leaders of join us or face a two or single edged sword (Ultimatum join or death). The irony here is that Truth is not relevant. Your side, their side, other oberserver's sides, history's side, predated history's side, which truth, which needs become necessities, what is expendable? When faced with an Ultimatum to decide, Sheridan opts out and instead (win lose or draw) he presents their own ultimatum: one that he is prepared to die for as their leader. No more. It ends today. We do not side with the older powers. However not mentioned as much is that there is a presence involved in diffusing the situation some as well. Lori-anne (sic). Is he three blade as well? Does he juggle as many arguments and counter arguements as do the older powers? No truth, no edge, no sword. Aphorism or Metaphor? MINDSPY [This message has been edited by MindSpy (edited January 19, 2001).]

Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI