Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 8:04:57 PM   
warspite1

Easy tiger - getting a bit political are we? a little too much BPB this afternoon perhaps?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 61
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 10:35:22 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Easy tiger - getting a bit political are we? a little too much BPB this afternoon perhaps?

No, according to Ambrose's Peanut Brittle and it's Effects on Voters of Barrack Obama-"...American voters who voted for the young Illinois Senator in 2008 were all have seen to drink "Brazilian Peanut Butter Kool Aid...a drink know to cause those who ingest it to believe they are seeing the Messiah.", p. 993.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 62
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 10:41:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

No, according to Ambrose's Peanut Brittle and it's Effects on Voters of Barrack Obama-"...American voters who voted for the young Illinois Senator in 2008 were all have seen to drink "Brazilian Peanut Butter Kool Aid...a drink know to cause those who ingest it to believe they are seeing the Messiah.", p. 993.
Warspite1

Spooky - that explains a lot. I guess during the years 1997-2007 there must have been an awful lot of BPB imported into the UK.........know what I'm saying??

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 63
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 10:47:50 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Spooky - that explains a lot. I guess during the years 1997-2007 there must have been an awful lot of BPB imported into the UK.........know what I'm saying??

Well of course. According to Ambrose's The decline of the British Empire and it's Roots in the Widespread use of BPB From the early 20th Century Britain lost it's empire directly because of BPB abuse by first "..British Pols and secondly by the citizenry as a whole..." p. 1,677.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 64
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:04:02 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

You northern concrete ghetto rats wouldn't know good brittle if it hit you in the liverwurst. The only good brittle is PECAN brittle.

That's P-can not P-con.

Now get back to your scrapple and kraut.

I sense a PBB lock soon.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 65
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:05:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Well of course. According to Ambrose's The decline of the British Empire and it's Roots in the Widespread use of BPB From the early 20th Century Britain lost it's empire directly because of BPB abuse by first "..British Pols and secondly by the citizenry as a whole..." p. 1,677.

Warspite1

Well yes, BPB and the small matter of stopping first the Kaiser, and then Hitler, from claiming hegemony in Europe. Those two events didn't do the coffers much good either.

But I take Ambroses' point. Disraeli had the chance to ban BPB from our shores but, allegedly being a BPB fiend himself, he decided to not only make it legal, but compulsory for the ruling classes. The consequences were all too predictable......

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 66
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:06:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

You northern concrete ghetto rats wouldn't know good brittle if it hit you in the liverwurst. The only good brittle is PECAN brittle.

That's P-can not P-con.

Now get back to your scrapple and kraut.

I sense a PBB lock soon.

Warspite1

I say Steiner - who is that uncouth fellow ^^

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 67
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:08:36 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Well yes, BPB and the small matter of stopping first the Kaiser, and then Hitler, from claiming hegemony in Europe. Those two events didn't do the coffers much good either.

But I take Ambroses' point. Disraeli had the chance to ban BPB from our shores but, allegedly being a BPB fiend himself, he decided to not only make it legal, but compulsory for the ruling classes. The consequences were all too predictable......

Yes, Disraeli was friends with Conan Doyle and the two would bar-hop, hopped up on BPB. The aloof attitude and bad teeth of the Brits was, again, due to BPB use. Also, serving it in all school lunches and hospital meals led to England having the highest rate of BPB addiction in the world.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 68
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:09:03 PM   
Orm

I am confused.

Peanut Brittle seem to be involved in every important event in the 20th century and I had no clue at all.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 69
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:15:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am confused.

Peanut Brittle seem to be involved in every important event in the 20th century and I had no clue at all.

M'cColleague, according to Ambose's PEANUT BRITTLE'S DISCOVERY AND PERPETUATION DURING THE TIME OF MOSES AND IT'S EFFECTS UPON THE FUTURE, "Peanut Brittle has been involved in every important event in WORLD history since it was accidentally discovered by Moses. You see, one plague GOD visited upon the Egyptians was so horrible it is not mentioned in the Bible. God was so enraged with Pharoh that he caused a rain of "...an intoxicating substance, stronger than any known metal, to fall upon the stiff necked Egyptians...Moses, seeing the new song and dance "Walk Like an Egyptian" being performed picked up several of the self-reproducing pieces and the history according to Brian changed."

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 70
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:16:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I am confused.

Warspite1

Yes, I thought you would have known; The Wasa sank thanks to the ship's captain being completely off his face on BPB......

Source: Ambrose - Great Swedish Navy balls ups 1500 - 1938.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 71
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:21:57 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

I am confused.

Warspite1

Yes, I thought you would have known; The Wasa sank thanks to the ship's captain being completely off his face on BPB......

I have been intending to read Ambrose - Great Swedish Navy balls ups 1500-1938, but I first wanted to complete Ambrose's - Sweden's Contributions to Television Comedy and Great Cuisine using PB.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 72
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:31:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am confused.

Warspite1

I have been intending to read Ambrose - Great Swedish Navy balls ups 1500-1938, but I first wanted to complete Ambrose's - Sweden's Contributions to Television Comedy and Great Cuisine using PB.

Warspite1

The best book will sadly never be written: Ambroses' Freak Yachting accidents caused by repeated use of BPB is not a tome that will ever hit the shelves for obvious reasons.......

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 73
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:35:44 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am confused.

Warspite1

Warspite1

The best book will sadly never be written: Ambroses' Freak Yachting accidents caused by repeated use of BPB is not a tome that will ever hit the shelves for obvious reasons.......

Maybe not, but I heard Peter Jackson and Steven Speilberg are teaming up to make a movie about Ambroses' Freak Yachting accidents caused by repeated use of BPB.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 74
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:41:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am confused.

Warspite1

Warspite1

Maybe not, but I heard Peter Jackson and Steven Speilberg are teaming up to make a movie about Ambroses' Freak Yachting accidents caused by repeated use of BPB.
Warspite1

Really? I wonder who will play the great man himself. It won't be easy finding an actor that can accurately portray Ambrose; after all he only had one leg, six, webbed-fingers on his left hand, was 4ft 11 inches and weighed 350lbs. That a tall order .......unlike Ambrose

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 75
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:47:38 PM   
parusski

Robbie Coltrane.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 76
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:48:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Robbie Coltrane.
Warspite1

Perfect Match!!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 77
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/28/2012 11:58:42 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Robbie Coltrane.
Warspite1

Perfect Match!!

YEP.

Mrs. Steiner is dragging me to an Italian Restaurant. I shall return.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 78
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 2:34:48 PM   
parusski

Mrs. Steiner and I went to a local Italian Restaraunt last night to try a new popular dish, Beef Brasato with Pappardelle and Mint sprinkled with crushed Peanut Brittle. It was awesome.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 79
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 4:57:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Robbie Coltrane.
Warspite1

Oh No! potential disaster has befallen the project. Having thought he had a perfect match with Robbie Coltrane, Steven Spielberg advises me that is not the case: One leg - check, six webbed fingers on left hand - check, 4ft 10 - check, weght 350lbs - check. What is the problem I hear you ask? Well Coltrane comes from Lanarkshire in Scotland, but Ambrose was of course a highlander. There is simply no way that Coltrane, great actor though he is, can carry off the accent of a resident of Inverness. The highly attuned American cinema-going public will simply not buy Coltrane as Ambrose because of this; his Lanarkshire tones will stand out a mile.

Moaned Spielberg "I think the project is off. Getting the accent right is everything - look what happened when Disney got an American to do a cockney accent. Yes, that's right, you end up with Dick van Dyke, playing Bert, the first South African chimney sweep in Edwardian London - Disaster".

Spielberg continues "The speech of the middle classes in Scotland tends to conform to the grammatical norms of the written standard, particularly in situations that are regarded as formal. Highland English is slightly different from the variety spoken in the Lowlands in that it is more phonologically, grammatically, and lexically influenced by a Gaelic substratum".

Spielberg droned on "Scottish English is a rhotic accent, meaning /r/ is pronounced in the syllable coda. As with Received Pronunciation, /r/ may be an alveolar approximant [ɹ], although it is also common that a speaker will use an alveolar tap [ɾ]. Less common is use of the alveolar trill [r] (hereafter, <r> will be used to denote any rhotic consonant)".

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 80
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:14:36 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Robbie Coltrane.
Warspite1

Oh No! potential disaster has befallen the project. Having thought he had a perfect match with Robbie Coltrane, Steven Spielberg advises me that is not the case: One leg - check, six webbed fingers on left hand - check, 4ft 10 - check, weght 350lbs - check. What is the problem I hear you ask? Well Coltrane comes from Lanarkshire in Scotland, but Ambrose was of course a highlander. There is simply no way that Coltrane, great actor though he is, can carry off the accent of a resident of Inverness. The highly attuned American cinema-going public will simply not buy Coltrane as Ambrose because of this; his Lanarkshire tones will stand out a mile.

Moaned Spielberg "I think the project is off. Getting the accent right is everything - look what happened when Disney got an American to do a cockney accent. Yes, that's right, you end up with Dick van Dyke, playing Bert, the first South African chimney sweep in Edwardian London - Disaster".

Spielberg continues "The speech of the middle classes in Scotland tends to conform to the grammatical norms of the written standard, particularly in situations that are regarded as formal. Highland English is slightly different from the variety spoken in the Lowlands in that it is more phonologically, grammatically, and lexically influenced by a Gaelic substratum".

Spielberg droned on "Scottish English is a rhotic accent, meaning /r/ is pronounced in the syllable coda. As with Received Pronunciation, /r/ may be an alveolar approximant [ɹ], although it is also common that a speaker will use an alveolar tap [ɾ]. Less common is use of the alveolar trill [r] (hereafter, <r> will be used to denote any rhotic consonant)".

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....

I knew I could depend on you to get the real story. As for that "highly attuned" American cinema going publi..."

Spielberg sure did drone one, so much so that I would suspect you were nearly ready to launch a drone at him. But at least after reading that tale I now know Spielberg is a TOOL.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 81
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:21:53 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 82
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:24:24 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.

Oh dear me. I have failed.

warspite1 is reading Ambrose's last book which did address this issue.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 83
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:36:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I am three quarters of the way through and so far not one solitary mention. I am feeling slightly miffed. The back of the book states:

In this, Ambroses' final book on Peanut Brittle, he lifts the lid on the question of whether Peanut Brittle is salted or unsalted.

Harumph....

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 84
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:41:26 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I am three quarters of the way through and so far not one solitary mention. I am feeling slightly miffed. The back of the book states:

In this, Ambroses' final book on Peanut Brittle, he lifts the lid on the question of whether Peanut Brittle is salted or unsalted.

Harumph....

There was a rumour that this book was actually ghost-written, but the author has not been identified. I can't believe Ambrose would do such a thing, all his books are page turners.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 85
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:44:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Harumph....

There was a rumour that this book was actually ghost-written, but the author has not been identified. I can't believe Ambrose would do such a thing, all his books are page turners.

Warspite1

Well I agree except most of this book so far is just a re-hash from his 437 previous books on the subject. I suspect that it was not ghost written but that by the time of his last book, Ambrose was a shell of the man he once was. Remember this was written just thirty-six hours before he set sail in the Saucy Nymphe for the last time....

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 86
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:50:41 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Harumph....

Warspite1

Well I agree except most of this book so far is just a re-hash from his 437 previous books on the subject. I suspect that it was not ghost written but that by the time of his last book, Ambrose was a shell of the man he once was. Remember this was written just thirty-six hours before he set sail in the Saucy Nymphe for the last time....

Sounds plausible. How much time do you think he spent writing this book???

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 87
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:56:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Harumph....

Warspite1

Warspite1

This was one of his longer-researched efforts. Let me see now, he left his Inverness home at 06:30 in the morning. Flora drove them to the port, so he had three hours to research and write the book on his laptop. He posted it to his publishers at 09:30 that day and it was in print and had become a best-seller just as the Saucy Nymphe was disappearing below the waves a day and a half later.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 88
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 5:57:55 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Harumph....

Warspite1

Warspite1

This was one of his longer-researched efforts. Let me see now, he left his Inverness home at 06:30 in the morning. Flora drove them to the port, so he had three hours to research and write the book on his laptop. He posted it to his publishers at 09:30 that day and it was in print and had become a best-seller just as the Saucy Nymphe was disappearing below the waves a day and a half later.

Hence is apparent failure to include an answer to the original question-salted or unsalted. I wonder if you could create a book about BPB or just PB period from this thread.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 89
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 1/29/2012 6:04:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Harumph....

Warspite1

Warspite1

Hence is apparent failure to include an answer to the original question-salted or unsalted. I wonder if you could create a book about BPB or just PB period from this thread.
Warspite1

Maybe, but is there anything new we have uncovered that can add to Ambroses' work? Of that I am not sure.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI