Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie here!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie here! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie here! - 1/15/2001 1:28:00 AM   
jadgtiger

Hello everybody. I have recently started playing SP:WAW and i started a campaign. Correct me if I'm wrong but as easy it is to be on defense being on a mission to advance (attack) is extremely more difficult. Do you think the same, or am I just a bad player? Also where can i find the manual of SP3? Thanks a lot!

Post #: 1
- 1/15/2001 1:37:00 AM   
krull

well no telling i have noticed it comes down to whos playing. Some are good at all some at defense some at attack. Me at dieing on WB campaigns hehehehe. Its one reason i like spwaw. Alot comes down to each individuals style of play.

Krull

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 2
- 1/15/2001 3:39:00 AM   
Dave_R

Hi Guys and welcome to the world of Syeel Panthers world at war. It does have one hell of a steep learning curve, but is about the best youcan find and all for free! About the only advice I can give without this turning into a tomb, is to think in real terms, think about what would happen in real life, and it'll pretty much be reflected in the game. Try working through the scenarios they offer a wide range of situations to try out. Oh and one final point! Stay away from any scenario or campaign designed by Wild Bill untill you feel confident, cos his are mean, if you can handle us, then you know that you are doing OK!

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 3
- 1/15/2001 4:08:00 AM   
ARIS

quote:

Originally posted by jadgtiger: Hello everybody. I have recently started playing SP:WAW and i started a campaign. Correct me if I'm wrong but as easy it is to be on defense being on a mission to advance (attack) is extremely more difficult. Do you think the same, or am I just a bad player? Also where can i find the manual of SP3? Thanks a lot!
Well,as in real life, to be a defender is much easier. An attacker should have a 3-1 supperiority in everything for him to have a chance. That is ofcourse if both forces are of the same level. But note that the AI is a lousy player, so if you want to learn the game, use a PBEM (play by e-mail) game. Inform your opponent that you are a begginer. The manual comes with the game. Check the start menu,you will find it among with many more in the SPWAW submenu.

Burn the beds, kill the bedbugs.

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 4
- 1/15/2001 4:40:00 AM   
Tankhead

Hello Jadgtiger! Send me your e-mail and I will e-mail you the SPIII manuel. I have in PDF format. Tankhead
quote:

Originally posted by jadgtiger: Also where can i find the manual of SP3? Thanks a lot!
------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

Tankhead

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 5
- 1/15/2001 5:36:00 AM   
Major_Johnson

You can find the SP3 manual with the game in most bargain bins. It'll cost you about 10 bucks! I've also seen it in a few bundle packs. ------------------ MJ We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 6
- 1/15/2001 9:20:00 PM   
alarpe

Hi! I am also a newbie. I would like some input on this advance tactic that I have developed. My war history knowledge is very poor so I have been forced to figure out several thing which I could have learned by reading books. I've played a WWII campaign in the Pacific. Pretty tight and bloody battles by the way. 1st recon unit (jeep or something) goes in advance. Near to the suggested enemy front I dismount the scouts and spread to search for the enemy. Of course these guys get killed but I have an idea where enemy front is. At this time all the other units follow. 1st infantry/engineers to spot/clear mines. Then tanks and then the rest. 2nd I call almost every artillery I have to soften up on the enemy. While waiting for bombs to drop I try to recon where there are other enemy units. So I can move the fire targets to enemy positions. 3rd I move my tanks to positions where they can fire from 2 hexes. I hate those assaults on tanks. As the tanks are in place I open fire with all I got. Against computer japs tanks are quite safe at this distance. Usually computer japs order a huge amount of mortars for the tanks. So they become unusable after about 2 rounds. All this time the infantry/engineers are advancing. Maybe I wait for few rounds for artillery to pound'em up some more. But here's the danger that jap mortars make them all routed. 4th let the bloodbath begin. I move my infantry up close and try to break trough with all I got. When a squad reduces to 3 or 4 men I retreat to save the unit for another day. If things get really tough I just keep hitting until I am through even if I lose some units. At this time when the tanks become usable again and enemy is somewhat suppressed I move my tanks to aid the infantry up close. This assault is done on reasonably narrow front. To get through is the main thing. Once the enemy front is divided I can start moving up or down along the frontline. But usually I move most of my troops through towards victory points and prepare for another defense line. Of course this looks good when written but my execution is not always this precise. So I lose tanks to assaults. My infantry runs on ambushes. My attack fron is so wide that I can't replace lost units. etc. :-( Any comments from veterans? I am getting anywhere with this game? Suggestions to improve?

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 7
- 1/15/2001 9:48:00 PM   
lnp4668

Good tactics. It is basically what I usually "tried" to do. However, I tends to keeps my main force about 2 hexes behind the recon. That way, I could bring massive forces to bear on any spotted enemy right away. I tried not to fire at the enemy using my recon. That way they will survive and fight another day.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 8
- 1/15/2001 10:48:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

sounds good as far as it goes .. try attacking at the sides of the map (the Flanks) just one side at a time... buy 81mm and/or 60mm mortars to use against the infantry ( they are more accurate and you can use them closer to your own troops) have off map 105mm and/or 155mm to fire on the smoke from the Japanese Mortars to shut them down .... if you are going to close to two hexes with armor try flame tanks .. if you are using regular tanks you might try turning the main gun OFF by right clicking on the tank then left clicking on the green letters of the main gun (this makes M3 and M5 stuarts deadly) the letters will turn red to show that the gun is off( don't forget to turn it back on )if the main gun is off the tank can fire all the MG's it has every turn this is only important at over 6 hexes range if under 6 leave the main gun on ) ... don't fire your tanks until they run out of movement fire some and then move them out of the way so they don't get suppressed and can keep moving to where you need them ... try some M15a1 AA halftracks or M16's with the quad 50cal .. if you can get on a hill and see the prespotted infantry Sherman Dozers with 75mm can do real damage ...don't forget those LVT1 aligators with the 4!!!! MG's if you duck them in and out you can tear up infantry ... i think the USMC scouts have smoke grenades if you happen to have them riding the tanks it is harder to close assualt the tanks and if the tank gets in a tight place they can jump off and pop smoke between the tank and the threat so maybe a few extra platoons of scouts just for the armor .. i find MG fire at 4-5 hexes is almost as good as two ...if you do have LVT1 aligators (ok the following is not exactly realistic) load them with a infantry squad when the squad runs out of firing reload them if they are not suppressed to much and be protected by armor again ... but they can't opfire ...remember that even with auto rally on you can still attempt to manually rally do it often good luck good hunting

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to jadgtiger)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie here! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI