Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Garrisons and Axis Allied

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Garrisons and Axis Allied Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/16/2012 7:59:14 PM   
HITMAN202

??? Axis allied units to use for the garrisoning ???? Rumanian divisions are weak but it goes against the grain to put 20,000 man division in a city (which needs just 4,000 and these divisions can't be broke down to regiments). Most smaller allied units have higher morale but it makes even less sense to use them as garrisons. I'm on turn 8, so are there other units coming down the pike that are better candidates ??? Or do you just garrison cities in the close proximity to your developing 1941 rail lines ????

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 1/16/2012 8:02:29 PM >

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Post #: 1
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/16/2012 8:10:36 PM   
2ndACR

You will get Hungarian security brigades which upgrade to div in basically name only.

You want to garrison every major city to reduce partisan support. I use the Romanian Cavalry for garrisons, for rapid partisan crushing duty. But Italians are also prime garrison units. Once 42 gets there and the Hungarian army really enters the fight, I send a bunch of Romanian to garrison duty. Hungarian units are stronger CV wise than most of the Romanian units.

All German security div head above the no allied line and all cities south of there are garrisoned by the allies.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 2
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/16/2012 10:30:15 PM   
HITMAN202

The problem is that west of Karkov you got around 15 cities (or so) and 4 (or so) light urban hexes to garrison, and I can't find that much money in my pocket.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 3
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/16/2012 10:52:53 PM   
Schmart

Break your German SEC Divisions into regiments to cover more ground. LW Feld Regiments can cover some ground as well, and building forts can make up some garrison space if needed. I use front-line divisions on rest to garrison urban areas near to the front. You will get a lot of Hungarian and Rumanian SEC Brigades/Divisions eventually to meet all your needs. Keep 4 or 5 week mobile units (cavalry is good) to run around and chase down partisans. You will only stretch your garrison forces if you drive un-historically deep into Russia, and even then your SEC units plus LW Feld Divisions can cover it all. It's not usually until you start getting close the the auto-VP threshold that you need to impress regular divisions for full-time garrison duty.

Watch the garrison requirements. Many cities only need a SEC regiment. Some will need two. Only the big urban areas will need a full brigade or division. Keep your garrison forces on refit, as sometimes a small drop in strength will put you under the city/urban requirement. You can also reduce the TOE of front-line divisions for garrison. IIRC, a Rumanian Infantry Division at 55% strength will handle any urban city. Also a good place to stash burnt out divisions to rebuild.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 1/16/2012 10:59:29 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 4
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/20/2012 7:49:33 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

You could also consider putting the Rumanian and Hungarian garrisons on "REFIT" and once built up to CV of 4 or 5, ship them out to replace their brethren on the front. I prefer to throw my Italians into the frontline and chew them up as much as possible-- they withdraw from the game completely in 1943 whether you had a Stalingrad experience or not!

John 21:25

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 5
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/20/2012 8:45:16 PM   
Cavalry Corp

There are a fair number of axis security ( read - terror ) units missing from the oob it seems. This mean you have to use units that should be more useful at the front.

< Message edited by cavalry -- 1/20/2012 8:46:33 PM >

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 6
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/20/2012 8:48:10 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I prefer to throw my Italians into the frontline and chew them up as much as possible-- they withdraw from the game completely in 1943 whether you had a Stalingrad experience or not!

Operation Husky and Operation Avalanche led to the withdrawal of the Italians, not Operation Uranus.

We'll have to wait for the 'mega game' that combines the Western, Eastern, and Afican-Italian theaters.  I know I'll buy it.

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 7
RE: Garrisons and Axis Allied - 1/30/2012 10:50:28 PM   
john lawton

thankyou to all who responded quickly to my problem
will continue to contribute as I learn more about the game - only had it 2 months and only just started playing the campaign game
also new to the forums as I have played almost exclusively face to face
Again thanks
kind regards
john lawton

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Garrisons and Axis Allied Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI