Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Civil War 150th

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War 150th Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/24/2012 8:41:05 PM   
parusski

Lincoln rightly said McClellan had "..the slows".

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 421
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/27/2012 5:35:19 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Lincoln issued his first major order as Commander-in-Chief.

EXECUTIVE MANSION,
WASHINGTON, Jan. 27th, 1862

THE PRESIDENT'S GENERAL ORDER NO. ONE.

It is ordered that on the 22d day of February, 1862, there be a general movement of the land and naval forces of the United States against the insurgent forces. That especially the army at and about Fortress Monroe, the army of the Potomac, the army of Western Virginia, the army near Munfordsville, the army and flotilla at Cairo, and naval force in the Gulf of Mexico, be ready for a movement on that day. That all the other forces both land and naval, with their respective commanders, obey the existing order for the time, and be ready to obey additional orders, when duly given. That the heads of departments, and especially the Secretary of War and the Navy, with all their subordinates, and the General-in-Chief, with other commanders and subordinates of the land and naval forces, will severally be held to their strict and full responsibilities for the prompt execution of this order.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

The attempt to mount a coordinated offensive was a reasonable idea, but this time, it wouldn't work. McClellan would not begin to move until March. Grant, on the other hand, would move even earlier.

Ironically, it would be the Confederacy that first put together a coordinated offensive, and it would lead to one of the darkest times of the war for the North.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 422
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/27/2012 12:32:36 PM   
parusski

Amazing how little effect Lincoln could have on some of his general's, especially little Mac.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 423
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/28/2012 11:21:19 AM   
nicwb

"Little Mac" was very dismissive of Lincoln. I'm re-watching the excellent Ken Burn's documentary on the Civil War re-showing on our local cable TV. They had a quote from McClellan in a letter to his wife, referring to Lincoln as "the original baboon".

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 424
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/28/2012 12:31:59 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

"Little Mac" was very dismissive of Lincoln. I'm re-watching the excellent Ken Burn's documentary on the Civil War re-showing on our local cable TV. They had a quote from McClellan in a letter to his wife, referring to Lincoln as "the original baboon".

Little Mac was definitely full of himself.

I loved what Grant said about McClellan after the war: "McClellan is to me one of the mysteries of the war."

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 425
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/29/2012 7:30:15 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

In the Shenandoah Valley, General Loring had decided serious measures were necessary to get himself and his men out of Romney. He had gone so far over Stonewall Jackson's head as to send a letter to President Davis himself, personally delivered by another general, William B. Taliaferro. The letter was co-signed by eleven other officers.

After reading it, Davis apparently agreed that Romney should be abandoned. He did not want to be seen as personally interfering, however, so he forwarded the letter to Confederate Secretary of War Judah P. Benjamin, along with his own note:

It will be necessary to act promptly. Have you been notified of the return of General Jackson to Winchester and the withdrawal of the brigade with which he undertook the service from which he is reported to have retired, leaving only those who were sent to re-enforce him? Will confer with you at your pleasure.

(What Davis was pointing out was that Jackson had evacuated his own favorite, the "Stonewall Brigade".) Now it was Secretary Benjamin on the hot seat.

Attachment (1)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 426
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/30/2012 5:31:09 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

After a mere 120 days in construction, the USS Monitor was launched at Brooklyn, New York. Designed by Swedish engineer John Ericsson, she was a revolutionary ship. This was not really because of her iron plate armor, for several other armored vessels had been built and even more were building. (The CSS Manassas had chased a squadron of Union gunboats out of the mouth of the Mississippi.) But the Monitor's centerline turret maximized the firepower of her 11-inch Dahlgren cannons, and a new design of propeller made her surprisingly nimble.

The Monitor had been built for shallow-water work: she drew only ten and a half feet, and her deck was only a foot or so above the waterline. To allow the captain a better view, a small pilot-house rose from the forward deck. This would prove to be a vulnerability, but not as much as her low freeboard.

Attachment (1)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 427
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/31/2012 6:18:34 AM   
xiaotuanzi

People owned like property toiling out in fields gets me off too.

Post #: 428
RE: Civil War 150th - 1/31/2012 8:29:38 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

In the Shenandoah Valley, Stonewall Jackson received a telegram with Secretary of War Benjamin's decision. General Loring and all his men were to be pulled out of Romney and returned to Winchester. The weeks of marching and hardships of weather and disease were thus brought to nothing.

Jackson complied, issuing the orders for withdrawal. He then wrote back to Secretary Benjamin:

Sir: Your order requiring me to direct General Loring to return with his command to Winchester immediately has been received and promptly complied with.

With such interference in my command I cannot expect to be of much service in the field, and accordingly respectfully request to be ordered to report for duty to the superintendent of the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, as has been done in the case of other professors. Should this application not be granted, I respectfully request that the President will accept my resignation from the Army.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

T. J. JACKSON, Major-General

(in reply to xiaotuanzi)
Post #: 429
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/1/2012 9:58:20 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I never took the time to tell you what an awesome thread you have here. Very informative and well done. Please continue.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 430
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/1/2012 10:00:51 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

In the Shenandoah Valley, Stonewall Jackson received a telegram with Secretary of War Benjamin's decision. General Loring and all his men were to be pulled out of Romney and returned to Winchester. The weeks of marching and hardships of weather and disease were thus brought to nothing.

Jackson complied, issuing the orders for withdrawal. He then wrote back to Secretary Benjamin:

Sir: Your order requiring me to direct General Loring to return with his command to Winchester immediately has been received and promptly complied with.

With such interference in my command I cannot expect to be of much service in the field, and accordingly respectfully request to be ordered to report for duty to the superintendent of the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington, as has been done in the case of other professors. Should this application not be granted, I respectfully request that the President will accept my resignation from the Army.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

T. J. JACKSON, Major-General

Wow, as big and huge a fan of the Civil War as I am, I did not know Jackson tendered his resignation. Thanks Capt. Harlock.

Post #: 431
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/2/2012 8:37:09 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Two Union commanders began the campaigns that would make them famous.

With the Union control of Kentucky more or less solid, many on the Northern side wanted to advance into Tennessee. A goodly amount of what industry the South had was there, and eastern Tennessee's population was majority pro-Union. (A number of pro-Union partisans had been hanged for burning railroad bridges and other activities.) To ensure a supply line, it was a good idea to advance along the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, but they were blocked by Forts Henry and Donelson, respectively.

Ulysses S. Grant was not a man to accept stalemate. He had assembled a force of infantry, and he had the help of a river flotilla under Flag Officer Andrew Foote. This included some of the "Pook turtles", ironclad gunboats which had been built in surprisingly short time by James Eads. On this date, Grant set sail with about half his force towards Fort Henry. (The other half had to wait their turn: there were not enough troopships.)

Map by Hal Jespersen, www.cwmaps.com

Down at New Orleans, things were looking up for the Confederacy and not so good for the Union. The ironclad Manassas and a "mosquito fleet" of small gunboats carrying one or two cannon each had chased the Federal squadron out of the mouth of the Mississippi, opening the way for blockade runners. Granted, the deep-water ships of the Union navy often caught the blockade runners at sea, but enough got through to boost the South's economy, and bring vitally needed weapons and other items back. More, two even stronger ironclads were under construction in the city. Unless the Union acted soon, the blockade might be broken entirely. But New Orleans was protected by a chain stretched across the river, guarded by Forts Jackson and St. Philip. These had been reinforced until Fort Jackson especially was one of the strongest forts in America.

Nonetheless, forts at that time were open to the sky. With mortar boats, enough shells might be thrown over the fort walls to suppress their fire while Union vessels cut the chain and sailed up to New Orleans. A man was needed to lead such a bold effort, and Secretary of the Navy Welles picked 60-year-old Captain David Farragut. Although Farragut had been born in Tennessee and raised in the South, he had stayed with the Union Navy. On this date, he boarded the USS Hartford, setting sail out of Brooklyn and into immortality.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 8/8/2012 5:11:57 AM >

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 432
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:42:37 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I thought you all might like to see some pics of an old mural on some building not too far from here. I always thought it was cool but it really needs to be restored. Depicts the battle of Pilot Knob.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/3/2012 9:57:53 AM >

Post #: 433
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:43:55 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 434
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:46:06 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Fort Davidson on the right

Attachment (1)

Post #: 435
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:49:00 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Attachment (1)

Post #: 436
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:52:40 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Attachment (1)

Post #: 437
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:54:43 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Attachment (1)

Post #: 438
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:56:56 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Attachment (1)

Post #: 439
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 8:23:48 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Impressive. The detail of the canister shot is very interesting. However, the two different Confederate national flags makes one wonder. IIRC the "blood stained banner", the final Confederate flag, was not adopted until March 1865.

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 440
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 8:24:39 PM   
parusski

quote:

Impressive. The detail of the canister shot is very interesting. However, the two different Confederate national flags makes one wonder. IIRC the "blood stained banner", the final Confederate flag, was not adopted until March 1865.

Yes, but still impressive.

Post #: 441
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 8:35:44 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

George McClellan had always opposed the idea of marching straight from Washington D.C. to Richmond. It hadn't worked at Bull Run / Manassas, and there were several other river crossings where the Southerners could set up strong defenses. On this date, he finally submitted a plan to take advantage of the Union position at Fort Monroe on the tip of the Virginia Peninsula. McClellan proposed to embark nearly the entire Army of the Potomac, land at the fort, and march up the peninsula to take Richmond from the southeast.

There were three potential issues. First, the transport and then the supply of over 100,000 men was unprecedented in U.S. history. Second, the time to assemble transport and supplies meant that the operation could not be mounted by the February 22 coordination date that Lincoln had ordered. Third and most important, what would prevent the Confederates from marching north and taking Washington while the Northern army was away? But Lincoln had requested a plan, and McClellan had produced one. And McClellan had shown considerable ability by turning the Army of the Potomac into a large yet disciplined and trained fighting force. The plan deserved serious consideration.

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 442
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:24:31 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

However, the two different Confederate national flags makes one wonder. IIRC the "blood stained banner", the final Confederate flag, was not adopted until March 1865.

Good eye. You know, I never even noticed that before. The Blood Stained Banner was adopted on March 4th '65. Hmmm.

Post #: 443
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/3/2012 9:42:25 PM   
parusski

quote:

150 Years Ago Today:

George McClellan had always opposed the idea of marching straight from Washington D.C. to Richmond. It hadn't worked at Bull Run / Manassas, and there were several other river crossings where the Southerners could set up strong defenses. On this date, he finally submitted a plan to take advantage of the Union position at Fort Monroe on the tip of the Virginia Peninsula. McClellan proposed to embark nearly the entire Army of the Potomac, land at the fort, and march up the peninsula to take Richmond from the southeast.

There were three potential issues. First, the transport and then the supply of over 100,000 men was unprecedented in U.S. history. Second, the time to assemble transport and supplies meant that the operation could not be mounted by the February 22 coordination date that Lincoln had ordered. Third and most important, what would prevent the Confederates from marching north and taking Washington while the Northern army was away? But Lincoln had requested a plan, and McClellan had produced one. And McClellan had shown considerable ability by turning the Army of the Potomac into a large yet disciplined and trained fighting force. The plan deserved serious consideration.

One thing can be said about McClellan is he had GREAT plans.

Post #: 444
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/4/2012 3:44:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Stone Wall Jackson's superior officer, General Joseph Johnston, was not surprisingly appalled by Jackson's attempt to resign. He made sure the letter went as slowly as possible to Richmond. In the meantime, several influential people tried to talk Jackson out of it. On this date, Alexander Boteler, a former US Congressman who was now the representative of the Shenandoah Valley, spoke with Jackson, urging him to stay on. But Stonewall was resolute: he could not serve effectively if his orders were to be overridden.

In Richmond, word of Jackson's resignation reached President Davis, although the actual letter had not. Davis declared, "I'll not accept it, sir!". But aides reminded him that even the President of the Confederacy had limits to his power.

Near Fort Henry in Tennessee, Grant's army was disembarking. At first a landing about eight miles from the fort was chosen, but the march would have covered some difficult ground. Grant boarded the steamer Essex to find a closer spot. The ship sailed so close to Fort Henry that they were under fire. One shell from a longer-range rifled gun went into the main cabin of the Essex, just missing Grant. He decided to back off a bit, and chose a landing about three miles from the fort.

Meanwhile, the Confederates could clearly see that an attack on the fort was coming. They pulled their troops from the countryside and concentrated them inside the fort.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 445
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/4/2012 5:27:02 PM   
Orm

quote:

150 Years Ago Today:

Could this have been done with fewer men? Fewer men would make for less supply trouble and a faster attack. Also a strategic surprise would have been easier to achieve. But could the goal to capture Richmond have been reached with a force of, say, 40,000 men?

Edit: Splitting the force this way would leave some defence for Washington as well. Would 60,000 men be enough to stop the Confederates from reaching Washington?

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/4/2012 5:28:38 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 446
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/6/2012 12:36:28 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Could this have been done with fewer men? Fewer men would make for less supply trouble and a faster attack. Also a strategic surprise would have been easier to achieve. But could the goal to capture Richmond have been reached with a force of, say, 40,000 men?

Edit: Splitting the force this way would leave some defence for Washington as well. Would 60,000 men be enough to stop the Confederates from reaching Washington?

A very astute question, and one which was to play a critical role in the history of the war. Since we will have to wait a couple of months for the operation to get under way, let me say that McClellan was worried to the point of paranoia about being outnumbered. He relied on Alan Pinkerton for much of his intelligence about enemy strength, and however good a detective Pinkerton may have been, he was a poor intelligence analyst. His estimates of Confederate forces were routinely double what the Southerners actually had.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 447
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/6/2012 3:25:14 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

At Fort Henry in Tennessee, there was a thaw in the cold weather. This caused problems for both sides. Grant's troops had to advance through mud, and were slowed down a great deal. But in the fort, things were even worse: the lower level was flooded, and its guns were unusable. Only nine cannon on the upper level could bear on the approaching Federal warships. Recognizing that his chances were low, the Confederate commander evacuated most of his men, sending them overland to the more defensible Fort Donelson on the Cumberland river. One company of artillerymen was left to fight the nine guns.

They acquitted themselves well, trading shots for two hours with Flag Officer Foote's four ironclads and three wooden gunboats. One ironclad was crippled with a shot through a boiler. The fort took considerable damage as well, however, and with only a few guns left in working order, the Southerners surrendered even before the Yankee infantry arrived. The Tennessee River was now open to the Union.

But there was a piece of good news for the Confederacy which may have been worth the bad news. In Virginia, Stonewall Jackson was finally convinced by the appeals of his friends and fellow officers. He wrote to the Governor, withdrawing his request to resign.

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/7/2012 5:33:16 PM >

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 448
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/7/2012 5:48:08 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Although Stonewall Jackson decided to stay on, he wasn't entirely ready to let bygones be bygones. He filed formal charges of insubordination and dereliction of duty against General Loring, who had been the main driver behind the push to evacuate Romney. (Which was now being re-occupied by Union troops.) The War Department in Richmond would eventually quietly drop the charges, but re-assign Loring to another command.

Roanoke Island was famous as being the site of one of the first colonies of European settlers in North America. However, the colonists had disappeared almost without a trace. Eventually it had been more permanently settled, and now was an Atlantic port. It had been decided to make it a Union port rather than a Confederate one to tighten the North's blockade. On this date, an amphibious force commanded by General Ambrose Burnside (whose beard style would give rise to the term "sideburns") landed on the island. The rebel defenders put up a spirited fight, but the Union fleet delivered a punishing bombardment that disabled most of the Confederate guns. In Napoleanic warfare, it had been accepted wisdom that shore batteries would almost always defeat warships. With rifled cannon and explosive shells, the advantage now shifted to the ships, since forts could not move once built, and the attacking ships could concentrate on one point.

The amphibious expedition had been held up by storms, so the Yankee troops were highly motivated to get on shore. By the end of the day, the Southern firing had been suppressed, and enough soldiers and ammunition had been landed for an assault the next morning.

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 449
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/8/2012 11:15:27 AM   
nicwb

I find the amount of backbiting that went on between senior officers on both sides incredible. Maybe its just that the US Civil War is better docuemnted on this side light but the situation never seemed to improve. As I recall even on the eve of Gettysburg at least one or two Confederate Generals were under technical arrest facing charges laid by a superior officer. The Union didn't seem to fare any better.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War 150th Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI