Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube Announced!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube Annou... - 2/2/2012 8:45:51 PM   
SeanD

The War in the East just got bigger and better with this exciting new expansion!

We are thrilled to announce Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube, an expansion to the grand strategy masterpiece War in the East! Now gamers can enjoy this award winning wargame engine across many new scenarios and battles!

Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube will be released later this month and will be available for $14.99 Download / $24.99 Physical through the Matrix Games online store.

About Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube

The critically and fan acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945). Don to the Danube and the War in the East system gives players unprecedented control over pivotal operations in the Second World War like Operation Uranus, the encirclement of the 6th German Army at Stalingrad, the Cherkassy Pocket and much more. Don to the Danube also takes full advantage of the hefty number of new features and rule changes that come with the massive 1.06.00 update and incorporates a full new Editor manual as well.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube is an expansion for War in the East and requires the base game to play.

Get more information on Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube from its official product page.

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/2/2012 9:57:04 PM   
gids

o yea....

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/2/2012 11:17:02 PM   
jzardos

I'm only buying it if the axis player can now have some more control on production, ToE, and support unit construction. Otherwise, WitE is already big enough for me and I'll save my money for that later expansion when/if it comes.

(in reply to gids)
Post #: 3
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 4:13:51 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

I'm only buying it if the axis player can now have some more control on production, ToE, and support unit construction. Otherwise, WitE is already big enough for me and I'll save my money for that later expansion when/if it comes.

Can we expect anything other then more Red babysitting?

Hopefully they atleast fixed the spam bombing and spam attacking.

It is a wite is cash cow, I cant be the only one that saw this coming 3 months ago heheh cha ching

< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/3/2012 4:18:05 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 4
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 5:35:10 AM   
76mm

So it sounds like this is just new scenarios?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 5
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 6:05:12 AM   
Wild

delete

< Message edited by Wild -- 1/30/2021 6:21:54 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 6:05:13 AM   
jazman

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

So it sounds like this is just new scenarios?

Scenario List:
Battle for Kharkov 1942 (12 May - 22 June 1942 - 6 turns)
Operation Sturgeon Catch 1942 (2 June - 3 August 1942 - 9 turns)
Case Blue Phase I (28 June - 18 July 1942 - 3 turns)
Operation Uranus 1942 (19 November - 30 December 1942 - 6 turns)
Operation Kutuzov-Rumyantsev (5 July - 29 August 1943 - 8 turns)
Cherkassy Pocket 1944 (24 January - 5 March 1944 - 6 turns)
Red Army Resurgent (19 November 1942 - 17 March 1943 - 17 turns)
Decision in the Ukraine (24 September 1943 - 4 May 1944 - 32 turns)
Retreat from Leningrad (22 June 1944 - 3 January 1945 - 28 turns)
Drama on the Danube (20 August 1944 - 5 May 1945 - 37 turns

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 6:15:15 AM   
gradenko2k

Any chance of additional Grand Campaign starting points? I think there's a lot of opportunity there:

* 1941 GC that starts on "turn 2", similar to WITP's Dec 8 1941 start
* 1941 GC that starts sometime around Operation Typhoon (18 turns in?)
* 1942 GC that starts sometime around March or earlier, allowing the German player to plan his offensive without being committed to Fall Blau
* 1942-1943 GC that starts during Wintergewitter
* 1943 GC that starts earlier in the year, before the massive build-up and commitment to Zitadelle

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 8
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 8:50:40 AM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

It is a wite is cash cow, I cant be the only one that saw this coming 3 months ago heheh cha ching

But please! It is so dreary with this complaining attitude! I certainly do not begrudge the team that created this great game to make some money on their hard work! And I am grateful for all the fantastic support they offer for this game, even though not all changes cater to my pet peeves!

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 9
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 9:10:11 AM   
Speedysteve

I've been playing Decision in the Ukraine and have had a look at Drama on the Danube. They are FANTASTIC scenario's to play. The other bonus with them being shorter and smaller scenarios is they take less time ti play compared to a GC = handy for a spare 30 mins you may have!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 10
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 9:17:31 AM   
Rasputitsa

I might buy this, as it is only the scenarios that I will ever play in WiTE, the Grand Campaign is too impractical at this scale.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 11
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 9:38:58 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi Rasputitsa - just be aware you need WitE base game to play these as well.....

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 9:40:00 AM   
Hermann

I'll buy it. Don't sell the German short they can be extremely effective if played properly. Remember the games going into European scale and has been a work in progress for some time. Let's concentrate on enjoying the game we have and finding and ponting out the bugs before overloading the developers with more demands. The games an operational level campaign at this stage in it's current stage of developement, and as such it's extremely effective as a historical model. insisting on strategic level flexibility is jumping the gun in my opinion. Remember this is Gary Grigsby were dealing with here. Guy knows his stuff and how to go about it. Just give him time and let him make a few dollars for his trouble. I'll buy this and any future expansion. It's the least I can do to be allowed to play a game that actually gets updated realtime according to player feedback.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 13
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 10:32:52 AM   
gids

+1
im not a fan for some of the workings on Both german and soviet side(all discussions aside),but in the end they are limited still to Computercode,so live with it ,im a huge fan of it,because its a dreamgame made with lots of effort and time and attention of detail
so yes il buy the expansion

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 14
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 10:42:36 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

quote:

quote:

But please! It is so dreary with this complaining attitude! I certainly do not begrudge the team that created this great game to make some money on their hard work! And I am grateful for all the fantastic support they offer for this game, even though not all changes cater to my pet peeves!

No one really or very few care about scenario's. Its the carebear packages that get handed to the Russian side as per the normal 2by3 standard MO that matters to most players and what has turned off 100's from playing this game.

At some point I would hope that 2by3 stops this sillyness, it just makes them look really bad and is what will doom witw and wie in the future.

On one wants to play a game that is some carebear heaven for one side and jail time for the other.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/3/2012 10:45:03 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 15
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 11:33:05 AM   
Speedysteve

Are you feeling ok today Pelton?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 16
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 1:40:51 PM   
HappyHedonist

I thought MMO forums were bad...

I'm all over this.  After having put the game away for a while, some smaller scenarios better suited for PBEM is just the thing to get me playing again.

< Message edited by Happy Hedonist -- 2/3/2012 1:47:57 PM >

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 17
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 2:14:41 PM   
Toby42

Pelton, If you don't like it, don't buy the expansion pack and don't play the game!

Tony

(in reply to HappyHedonist)
Post #: 18
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 2:15:35 PM   
Speedysteve

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 19
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 3:04:19 PM   
ComradeP

Just to make sure the question is clearly answered in this thread as well: the scenario disk just contains new scenarios, it doesn't contain any special .exe with additional features or the like.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 20
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 3:35:51 PM   
Mazzah

Edited due to poor reading skills on My behalf!

Anyhow keep up the good work!

< Message edited by Mazzah -- 2/3/2012 4:28:46 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 21
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 4:05:58 PM   
jzardos

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tarhunass,

Ummm please do me the courtesy and explain how I'm complaining? I merely stated that I would not be interested in the expansion unless it had more significant changes. Please don't make ignorant comments about me, as I take this as a personal attack. I believe personal attacks on the forum are ill advised. Keep your comments to the game and we'll be fine.

thanks

< Message edited by jzardos -- 2/3/2012 4:09:25 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 22
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 5:31:05 PM   
AZKGungHo

Hey Comrade P

So it's just scenarios that we put into the scenario folder and play the game as usual from there? Sound good to me.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 23
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 5:33:14 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No one really or very few care about scenario's...

Pelton

I'm one that cares - Oh, so do I belong no longer to the community?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 24
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 5:35:33 PM   
Joel Billings

They are just scenarios, although when it comes out you'll want to get the latest update of the game at that time so you can take advantage of the recent changes. The scenarios will also come with a scenario notes .pdf with some historical and designer notes from Trey and John, the authors of the scenarios.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 25
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 6:59:00 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

I sign this word by word!

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 26
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 8:09:10 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

No one really or very few care about scenario's. Its the carebear packages that get handed to the Russian side as per the normal 2by3 standard MO that matters to most players and what has turned off 100's from playing this game.

At some point I would hope that 2by3 stops this sillyness, it just makes them look really bad and is what will doom witw and wie in the future.

On one wants to play a game that is some carebear heaven for one side and jail time for the other.

Pelton

The thing that drives me crazy about you and others who are one sided on both german and the soviet side is that it's one sided. I've always tried to advocate for common sense changes that helped balance the games for both sides (rifle corps being harder to get early. Germans surviving winter better if they are in forts. etc).
The 1v1=2v1 rule wouldn't be necessary if they allowed russians to fight historically hard and cause real damage to the germans. I don't run away because i don't like that tactic but i see why people do it. You can't put up a smolensk type battle to attrit the german player. So 1v1=2v1 is a crutch that i'd be glad to see go away permanently. The game has this curve that you will follow no matter how you play the germans will artificially be boosted in the early war and the soviets will be artificially boosted in the late war.

It would be nice to see it be the soviets can fight a real smolensk type battle that grinds the germans down. Combat results that I see combat of 15000 people on both side resulting in < 10 enemy deaths is frustrating.

I'd even enjoy seeing optional rules that have a hitler/stalin objectives factor in. You are free to NOT follow the rules they give you but if you manage to meet their objectives you should get a VP/AP bonus for doing as your CnC instructs.

But all you ever do is whine and complain about the soviets having it too easy. I completely agree that I wish the germans had more control over their OOB and production but you're not helping my cause by being a crotchity antagonist.

When i finish my game with ara i'd be glad to play you so you won't be able to complain that a soviet player just runs away constantly.

As for wite being a cash cow players who enjoy the game should want to support the developer. If this was ubisoft we'd still have a release day game that was very too balanced in favor of the soviets. Hard work and dedication should be rewarded. Supporting a game for more then a year is awesome.

And the patch is going to be a pretty neutral patch both sides are tweaked a bit so nobody can scream that it wasn't balanced.

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 27
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 8:59:08 PM   
demyansk

I just play the darn things and read the real stuff in the books, its all good for me since I get beat anyway, I play toaw3 also

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 28
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/3/2012 9:13:00 PM   
GBS

I'm astonished by some of the reactions here. I will gladly pay for the expansion, hopefully contributing to 2by3's profitability which hopefully will enable them to continue developing games that we ALL can play and enjoy. Thanks Gary and team.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 29
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube A... - 2/4/2012 2:47:13 AM   
abulbulian

I'm personally very happy to support 2by3 by purchasing this upcoming expansion.  Normally I like to play campaigns, but there looks like a few interesting scenarios to play.  Not to mention names, but there seems to be a few individuals who act very bitter about playing this game and almost make you believe like they're be forced to play it.  My advice is play something else if you can't get the enjoyment you want or need from WitE.  Sure there's some things I would like to see changed in WitE <cough: German production control>, but it's a game that continues to make improvements by developers and testers that have a passion for computer war games and the community.  People have to keep in mind the market share for these type of war games is very small compare to computer games in general.  So we need to support the companies that are putting out good war game products and are willing to support them (patches), we should give back the same support to these companies like 2by3.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 2/4/2012 2:48:05 AM >

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI