Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DirectX 9 Beta Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> DirectX 9 Beta Release Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DirectX 9 Beta Release - 11/16/2002 2:00:01 AM   
Bing

You can read about it here and access the appropriate MS download pages: http://www.rivastation.com/index_e.htm

This is a timed expiration beta, if you don't replace it with the official DX9 by March 19, 2003 supposedly your DX games won't run (?).

Has anyone installed this and run WAW with it? With games other than WAW, particularly 3D games??

Thanks for your comments.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Post #: 1
- 11/16/2002 4:04:35 AM   
rbrunsman

Perhaps this is a good time for me to ask a stupid question: What is DirectX anyway and why is it important to get updates if you are working OK with the old version?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Bob

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 2
- 11/16/2002 4:19:20 AM   
Frank W.

most new games need actual versions of direct-x.

as far as i know the ati radeon 9700 already supports dir. x 9.0.

i have a radeon 8500 which runs fine with 8.1.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 3
Use caution with this beta... - 11/16/2002 5:42:46 AM   
KG Erwin

...the Microsoft DX 9 Beta infopage recommends that users of Windows XP & ME create a "System Restore" (?) if this beta has some unresolved bugs & Windows needs to be reinstalled. I'm using Win 98, so I think I'll wait until the official release. Once Direct X runtime is installed, you can't uninstall it, so consider carefully whether or not you want to try this beta release.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 4
- 11/16/2002 8:24:48 AM   
Jim1954

I don't know about the rest of you, but beta-anything tends to make me advance the other direction, quickly.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 5
- 11/17/2002 7:47:53 AM   
Huffy

Yes...I just replaced my sons...and my own video cards with a ATI 9000pro...and they work fine with 8.1a.
Huffy

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 6
Re: Use caution with this beta... - 11/17/2002 8:20:19 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin
[B] Once Direct X runtime is installed, you can't uninstall it, so consider carefully whether or not you want to try this beta release. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, you can uninstall it. Last year someone here (Bing?) posted a link to a program called DirectX Buster which worked as advertised. If anyone needs it: [URL=http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html]http://www.directxbuster.de/index_e.html[/URL]

Jim NSB

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 7
- 11/17/2002 10:03:09 AM   
Supervisor

DirectX buster isn't certified to work on anything above 8.1 Because the newer versions of DirectX actually rewrite the Windows O/S code,so it becomes more and more difficult to remove it after installation.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 8
- 11/17/2002 11:56:50 AM   
Bing

Looks like I will be running DX 8.2 for a while. Microsoft really does operate in a world of their own, don't they? Must be nice.

Thanks for the tip, Gmenfan, I haven't been keeping up with this stuff. I decided I would actually use the computer, rather than climb in the gerbil cage of one new driver after another, followed by versions of DirectX that can't be rolled back.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 9
- 11/17/2002 8:00:32 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]Perhaps this is a good time for me to ask a stupid question: What is DirectX anyway and why is it important to get updates if you are working OK with the old version?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

If my memory serves me, DirectX is a standard for graphic control. I.e. by using the standard, you know that games written according to the standard will run on your computer. It also helps the hardware makers in designing their graphic cards, and more imortantly, their drivers.

If you have a working DirectX, you won't need to replace it. New games are likely to require a later version, but in that case DirectX often comes bundled in the game install.

I'm, for one, will not replace my working DX 8.0 with some beta. :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 10
- 11/18/2002 12:16:40 AM   
Bing

DirectX is more than a standard, it is an API (Application Programming Interface) for developers of 3D, which came about via the MS purchase of a British 3D development firm. You don't have DirectX installed (difficult not to have it these days), you can't play games which make DX calls.

Competition for DX comes from OpenGL, which if used properly by developers can produce better 3D than DX. I haven't kept up with recent developments, so I can't speak to DX 9 compared with OpenGL.

I doubt OpenGL would do much for SPWAW, we get about as much as we are going to get with DX - 8, 8.2 or 9.

Bing

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 11
- 11/21/2002 6:39:57 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

My buddy has this middle finger for "system restore" advice.

He has nothing at all kind to say about DirectX9.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> DirectX 9 Beta Release Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI