Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More planes! More modifications! More engines! More EVERYTHING!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> More planes! More modifications! More engines! More EVERYTHING! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More planes! More modifications! More engines! More EVE... - 2/9/2012 7:43:26 AM   
BossGnome

So, to military history amateurs such as me, the number of planes portrayed in this game is nothing short of staggering.

However, I am certain that there are many grognards here who feel a well-deserved sense of indignation that a particular rare model or modification dear to them was not included, or was abstracted into another more general plane classification.

I was wondering, to the best of everyone here's impressively extensive knowledge, what plane models/modifications present in the PTO were not included in the stock AE? And why do you think that might have been?

Personally, I remember hearing about a plane prototype that Japan created which would have been able to fly in 1 hop to germany (a world record for that time). IIRC they only built 2 during the whole war - one of them actually attempted the trip across the indian ocean, but was lost along the way - probably shot down by some patrolling spitfires. Would have been interesting to have this plane as a super-long range transport!

edit: This is the plane in question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachikawa_Ki-77

I look forward to learning a lot about other exotic airframes!

< Message edited by BossGnome -- 2/9/2012 7:51:07 AM >

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: More planes! More modifications! More engines! More... - 2/9/2012 9:50:58 AM   
Cavalry Corp

Very interesting plane indeed.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 2
RE: More planes! More modifications! More engines! More... - 2/9/2012 10:17:02 AM   
CT Grognard

Let's see...

Ki-74 Patsy - experimental high-speed twin-engine long-range reconnaissance bomber, 16 prototypes built. 354mph top speed, range of 4,500 nm.

Nakajima G5N Liz - experimental four-engined long-range heavy bomber, 6 prototypes built, range of 2,300 nm, bombload of 8,000 lbs.

Nakajima G10N project: ultra-long-range very heavy bomber (designed to bomb the US West Coast from Japan), never built. Planned to have a range of 10,500 nm, with a 44,000-lb bombload.

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 3
RE: More planes! More modifications! More engines! More... - 2/9/2012 2:11:44 PM   
wdolson

On the other side, some marks have been combined together.  There are some marks of the P-39 and P-40 missing.  Though as far as game performance goes, there was no major differences with marks in the game.  The SBD-4 is missing.  It was identical to the -3 in performance, but had a 24 Volt electrical system (the -3 was 12V) and a different propeller.  Douglas sharply increased production when the -4 was introduced, so in game terms there should be an increase in production around October or November 1942.  Just what the JFBs want, more Dauntlesses.

I believe a few PBY-3s were in service at the start of the war too, but I believe those are accounted for with the PBY-4s.

A number of transport plane types are missing too.  The C-47 was the version of the DC-3 specifically built for the military with a cargo door.  The many DC-3s pressed into service had a different designation.  For game purposes, what's there is adequate.  Many of the transports in the real world were not part of any group located in one place, they were in a general air transport command and either flew routes like civilian airliners or were flown on courier flights.  The game sort of represents them invisibly by moving pilots and commanders around with x number of day delay.

There were also a number of B-25 variations.  The B-25C in game is pretty similar to the version of the C/D that operated in India/Burma and the Mediterranean.  The 5th AF took their B-25s and by mid-1943 had turned them all into strafers with gun noses.  Cs and Ds.  (I believe the only significant difference between the C and D were where they were made like the P-51B and P-51C).  Technically the D1 should be limited to the 5th AF.

By the introduction of the J, the factory was doing a lot of the mods that were done in the field by the 5th AF.  The J1 represents a Far East version (though many there got extra .50s added in the field too).  The J11 represents the all gun nose version from the factory that had a solid nose with 8X .50s, plus 4 more on the sides of the cockpit.

There was another field mod done by the 5th AF and most other field mod depots in the Pacific that took the glass nose J and added 4X .50s inside the glass nose while leaving the bombardier's seat in there, though the bombardier was usually not carried.  On photo missions a photographer would be crammed into the nose.  Most B-25Js operating in the Aleutians had this mod and it was done in India too.

PBY-5 production should also be phased out by late 42 and be replaced by more -5As.  The USN switched all production to -5As, though they did take some non-amphibians from a later British order.  Most USN PBYs after the first year of the war were -5As.

The significant marks of everything that did contribute is included.  There are some what if weapons that are missing.  The P-40Q, XP-55, XP-72, P-59, and the various Japanese experimental aircraft aren't included.  In an alternate universe, some of these, especially the Allied aircraft could have been introduced into combat.

The Japanese aircraft industry was under a lot of stress from the beginning.  They could produce a few large aircraft, but they didn't have the industrial capacity to produce any of these aircraft in large numbers, even in 1941.  By 1944, fighters and naval attack aircraft were the two primary aircraft types in production and that was stressed to the limits.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 4
RE: More planes! More modifications! More engines! More... - 2/15/2012 12:15:51 AM   
pjkeas

Just reading about these planes (KI-77 and KI-74-I).

When the KI-74-I was first discovered, they thought it was a twin engine fighter. They called it Pat. Then renamed it later.

The article said it could attack the B-29 bases in the Mariannas.
If the war extends and you could build enough of them, it would be interesting to see what damage.
Although, they would all be shot down before they could do anything.

Just a note, several articles said the tail gun (only gun, ha ha) was a 12.7mm Ho-103 (device 189 not 182)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> More planes! More modifications! More engines! More EVERYTHING! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI