Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: My empire earns too much money

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: My empire earns too much money Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:09:50 PM   
msnevil

Maybe a resource amount slider might be a option? In the real world, fights are started over resources, why not galaxy in scale as well?

< Message edited by msnevil -- 2/10/2012 3:14:54 PM >

(in reply to Robocrab)
Post #: 31
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:13:14 PM   
msnevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robocrab

Corruption level - Normal
The capital is always 0% corruption.
In the example Capital tax money = 2 364 000
With this amount of money the other colonies are no longer important

Do you control taxing or the does the AI control taxing?

(in reply to Robocrab)
Post #: 32
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:30:26 PM   
Robocrab

quote:

ORIGINAL: msnevil
Do you control taxing or the does the AI control taxing?

I manually control taxing. But the secret is not in this.

1. Find a large planet with a good quality (in example diameter 32.5K, Quality 92%)
2. Bonuses from the Leader and Colony Governor
3. High development level (build all Wonders on this colony)

Result: one colony (capital = 0% corruption), a lot of money and a high tax (like Mechanoid) :)

< Message edited by Robocrab -- 2/10/2012 3:46:40 PM >

(in reply to msnevil)
Post #: 33
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:42:33 PM   
Fishers of Men

In the policy screen, you can give the A.I. guidelines and let it control taxes, or you can manually control them. Unless I run into a question of the population becoming unhappy for some reason, I turn this job over to the computer.

The capital colony have 0% corruption is probably a result of the fact that your empire's leader resides there. The further from the capital a colony is, the corruption seems to increase. But I see your point about the lack of monitary importants of the other colonies. When DW was first released, there was a real challenge in the players' ability to raise funds for growth and not go into deep debt. The developers adjusted this to make cash flow more easily, but now it seems we have learned how to work the system and there is too much money and the challenge in making the difficult choices has been lost.

FoM

Old............but very fast

(in reply to msnevil)
Post #: 34
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:53:18 PM   
Robocrab

quote:

The capital colony have 0% corruption is probably a result of the fact that your empire's leader resides there.

No, Сapital 0% corruption always, without a leader or something else. This is game mechanic.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 35
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:54:56 PM   
Fishers of Men

Thanks for the correction, Robocrab.

(in reply to Robocrab)
Post #: 36
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 3:55:43 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry2

I don't like the idea of using a single parameter (like corruption) to throttle back the entire economy. It seems too superficial and contrived.

Much like the Colony Shere of Influence setting and the limits you can now place on colonization distance (thank you devs for allowing them to be set to effectively zero effect) : these are controls not based on any "realistic" factors in the game mechanics but just put there to push the game in certain directions.

If the game justs defaults to effortless cash flow that can be controlled by a single slider then what was the point of 30 or more resources types, miners, freighters, delivery routes and resource use for specifc components, etc? All that detail seems to be wasted. It should be put to use and balanced to provide the kind of throttles that make sense, and not just layer-on another "God Control" that ruins immersion.

Personally I am never short of things to do with my money (and also in the game ). Crash researching, buying things from the computer players, and building huge fleets seem to be endless... But there is an issue with money being too readily available.

I'm with Harry2 on this. One rudimentary suggestion would be to progressively steepen the possible price range for resources, forcing a general upward trend over the course of the game rather than having them limited at an absolute value which never changes.

I say rudimentary because it would need careful balance, being a galactic (or is that universal...) figure. Must leave room for a struggling computer player or someone coming (back) from a ludicrous position in the game. Possibly making resources much rarer would fit in with this. Unfortunately after the howls of protest from newer players about resource shortages in the intial Legends versions they effectively made resources more available than ever.

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 37
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 4:14:35 PM   
Fishers of Men

I thought the price range for resources was based on the galaxy's supply and demand model, and not any fixed rates. But I do agree that we should go back to the release of Legends and make resources more rare. When I first purchased DW, I believed the conflicts in the galaxy would most always be centered around the resources. Whoever controlled the most strategic resources had a good chance of winning the game. Isn't this just like real world economics? But like was mentioned, the huge detail built into the economic model is not being used well. Maybe Elliot should revisit this part of the game.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 38
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 4:30:09 PM   
feelotraveller

The price is determined by supply and demand but the limits to this price are fixed. Minimum 0.8, maximum 2.5 for strategic resources.

Post #: 39
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/10/2012 7:34:18 PM   
Harry2

quote:

One rudimentary suggestion would be to progressively steepen the possible price range for resources, forcing a general upward trend over the course of the game rather than having them limited at an absolute value which never changes.

Yes, as new components and technologies come online they require newer resources, and more of the old, which ramps up the price.

Imagine a resource that's cheap as dirt because no one has a use for it ...until a powerful component is developed that must have that resource.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 40
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/11/2012 7:09:14 AM   
feelotraveller

I have posted some ideas on resource pricing here: Resource pricing and game economy

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 41
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/11/2012 5:12:47 PM   
Fishers of Men

Harry2, oil was once a resource that was unused until the 19th century. It was originally thought to be a sticky substance that was a real problem to deal with.

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 42
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/15/2012 12:40:49 AM   
solops

You guys need to play with corruption on high or very high. That will take care of your cash surplus faster that 3 ex-wives.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

Post #: 43
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/16/2012 1:24:34 AM   
adecoy95

ramping up the corruption slider is just one more thing the AI has to deal with more than you

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 44
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/17/2012 6:53:53 AM   
jpwrunyan

It would make sense if per ship maintenance were a function of total ships in your empire. Then having a larger fleet would increase costs on a curve instead of geometrically. It would cost more to have an empire defended by more ships and would also make the player decide more carefully about colonizing a remote planet. Because a remote planet will likely need its own local fleet for defense if it is too far from the central empire. And like I said, if the more ships you have the more each ship costs in maintenance, it makes the game more challenging and interesting.

Anyway, tell me if the game already does this. I dont believe that it does.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 45
RE: My empire earns too much money - 2/17/2012 12:58:17 PM   
Morelyn

Yes, maintenance costs are way too low, they should be substantially increased....for the human player, on the harder difficulty levels. Let the poor benighted AI pay at normal levels.

You could also simply charge more maintenance the greater the number of worlds you own, sort of a Civ solution. The difficulty of ruling a vast empire or whatnot...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 46
RE: My empire earns too much money - 3/10/2012 1:27:06 AM   
Tanaka

Seems like a simple fix to make everyone happy would be an economic slider. More Money - Scarce Money

My number one request!

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: My empire earns too much money Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI