Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

looking for a Nato vs WP operational level

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> looking for a Nato vs WP operational level Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 7:06:51 PM   
bean5671

High folks I am looking for a somwhat current operational or Strat level Nato vs WP
by current i mean win 7 back to win xp

I used to play GDW the third world war and had all the maps plus the NATO game from VG

I had the old Nato Commander on the C64 at one time in the 80s but have not seen anything like it since

any ideas

Post #: 1
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 7:30:18 PM   
typhoon

The HPS titles Fulda Gap and North German Plains might fit your need

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 2
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 8:14:43 PM   
pzgndr

I did a GDW Third World War mod for Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War game several years ago, updated somewhat to 1987 OOBs for Nato and Warsaw Pact. See http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/ for an idea of the operational scale and scope of AGW - just right for TWW. If interested, send me a PM/email and I can send you the files.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 3
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 8:14:55 PM   
bean5671

those are about what i am looking for but to limited in scope and very dated they where built for win 98 i believe
I would like to have the all of europe UK and scandanavia plus north Africa and middle east to iran

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 4
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 8:22:04 PM   
bean5671

PZGNDR that may work

I am going to look into it when I get home

I may be overextending my gaming ability lol starting a WITP AE PBEM game, a solo Panzer Corps 41 camp and the red storm rising camp in DW

but I really just want to kick some commie butt instead

< Message edited by bean5671 -- 2/24/2012 8:23:18 PM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 9:44:22 PM   
SLAAKMAN

bean5671,
quote:

but I really just want to kick some commie butt instead

Here is the best way to kick Commie butts;

Join me in this holy quest!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 6
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/24/2012 9:57:25 PM   
pzgndr

I'm attaching my scenario notes for Third World War for you and others to check out. It's been a long while since I've fired this up.

Btw, I had a personal interest in this because I was in US 1st Armored Division '87-'90 with a go-to-war position on the Czech border, at least until the Soviets started going away and the Berlin Wall fell in November 1989. The OOBs became moot after that....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 7
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 1:05:50 AM   
jwarrenw13

How about some of the TOAW scenarios?

8th Infantry Division, 73-75, 85-88, GDP on the Fulda Gap. Amazing how all that melted away right after I left Germany for the last time.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 2:05:42 AM   
Rosseau

Flashpoint Germany is tactical but still a favorite. The falling of the Wall has got to be the happiest historical event in my lifetime (1956 - ). Thanks for your service. That had to be nerve-wracking.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 9
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 2:41:09 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bean5671

High folks I am looking for a somwhat current operational or Strat level Nato vs WP
by current i mean win 7 back to win xp

I used to play GDW the third world war and had all the maps plus the NATO game from VG

I had the old Nato Commander on the C64 at one time in the 80s but have not seen anything like it since

any ideas

There is a WWIII mod for Advanced Tactics done by Grymme, unfortunately it's not been ported to the newer ATG.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 10
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 3:16:57 AM   
2ndACR

http://www.armoredbrigade.com/

And it is free.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 9:45:44 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: bean5671

those are about what i am looking for but to limited in scope and very dated they where built for win 98 i believe
I would like to have the all of europe UK and scandanavia plus north Africa and middle east to iran

I think, other than the TOAW scenarios, the HPS games (there's Danube Front as well) are the extent of your 'choice' at operational level. The engine might date back to Windows 98 days, but the games don't and all run fine on XP through to 7. I'd actually recommend them quite highly; the have the usual Tiller flaws of being 'dated' to some extent, particularly in regard of suitability to high resolutions (although they run in any), and not-the-best AI (although it's not the worst either) but also have a lot of plus points. The UI is 'standard', clear and uncluttered, the scenarios are good and a-plenty, research is excellent, and the combined campaign is a monster that really won't leave you wanting or needing more map. The 'box' portrait art is terrible, but the downloadable alternative art most certainly isn't.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 2/25/2012 9:51:53 AM >

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 12
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/25/2012 4:43:50 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Flashpoint Germany is tactical but still a favorite. The falling of the Wall has got to be the happiest historical event in my lifetime (1956 - ). Thanks for your service. That had to be nerve-wracking.

I remember walking a patrol along the West-East German border in the spring of 88, shortly before I left. I was just tagging along as a more senior officer to observe. a 2LT was the patrol leader. I really just wanted to get a look at the border before I departed Germany. Maybe I had a feeling. And we came upon this area where there was a walking path, and West German civilians were out for walks right at the border, and there we were in camo and with live ammunition walking the border and observing the East Germans behind their fences (which were recessed off the border). And I thought, this is just insanity. Surely this cannot continue. But in reality I had no idea how quickly the whole thing would collapse.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: looking for a Nato vs WP operational level - 2/27/2012 11:21:32 AM   
nicwb

And of course you just want to get wet - I'd recommend Harpoon.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> looking for a Nato vs WP operational level Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI