Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This happen to anyone else (39 DLC)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/1/2012 2:05:00 PM   
jjdenver

I was having a lot of fun with the game, finished the normal game campaign, bought the 39 DLC. Everything was good. Then I ran into the 39 Poland scenario where you are defending a river line that arcs from SW to E across the map. I played the scenario but after awhile I realized that there was basically an infinite horde of Polish troops that would just keep coming. It wasn't a wargame, it was like playing Galaga or Space Invaders - some video game with infinite attackers that just kept spawning.

At that point I lost all respect for the game and couldn't pick it up to play anymore. I started to think that any game designers/producers who could make this scenario didn't care at all about putting the player in the seat of a battle commander, just a fantasy video...before this there was some slight level of immersion that this was a WW2-light game- now it just feels like a silly video game to me.

Sadly I have not played the game in over a month...can't make myself go back to it. Is this how the other 41, 42 DLC is also?

Post #: 1
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/1/2012 2:34:10 PM   
vonRocko

It was a counterattack, and you had to hold out. I found it fairly easy to get through. Anyway, why lose respect for the whole game because of one bad scenerio?

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/1/2012 2:35:00 PM   
terje439

I do not think there is an neverending flow of enemy units, there just is alot of them.
The thing with the DLC is that paying attention to the briefing can be a make or break as there often is some vital information there.
And is this how -40/-41/-42 is like? Not really, although there are some scenarios with weird/strange/funny/remarkable (to each his own) objectives. That being said, you will find that 95% of the scenarios are "attack from here to here and capture atleast X number of objectives".

I think you should give it another run, finish that scenario and keep going.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 3
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/1/2012 7:18:14 PM   
jjdenver

It's not that I can't beat the scenario - I can beat it...but it's just that it made me lose faith in whoever produced the game. I was playing a strategy game that turned into a silly game.

Thanks for comments though. Maybe I'll try another DLC - 41 or 42.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/1/2012 9:17:40 PM   
VPaulus

I suggest that you keep playing that DLC, there are different type of scenarios in DLC 39. Than go to other DLC's.

Personally never thought about that scenario through that point of view.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 5
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/2/2012 9:36:02 AM   
terje439

I too would say that you should "suffer" your way through that one scenario, and keep playing the -39 first. After all IF you find that you can live with having a scenario you do not like, you will get to export your -39 core units into the -40 campaign

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 6
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/2/2012 10:54:37 PM   
HansHafen

War must be fair!!!!!!

Not.

Read about the real battle and you will see that the Germans were pressed by the counter attack into their side/flank. I think it was General Blaskowitz that defended against it iirc.

I think it's a good scenario. A nice change. I like defending almost as much as I like attacking. These guys have done a great job and even if you don't like this one scenario, losing all respect is a bit much. Don't be dramatic.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/3/2012 12:26:09 AM   
target762

I haven't finished '39 Camp yet, but it seems that scenario is an oppertunity to get your Core units Experience on the cheap as well as store up points for the Warsaw scenarios which are more difficult. I think the scenario was designed with that in mind. That is what I was thinking when I played it.

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 8
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/4/2012 2:11:28 AM   
Waffenamt

Start off on the defence and push back once attrition sets in for the foe. Worked for me anyhow. I got thrashed on a couple of scenarios when I started this and then restarted the campain. I found after learning in the school of hard knocks that it's important to pay close attention to the briefing.

regards

(in reply to target762)
Post #: 9
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/4/2012 11:08:14 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Hey! I got burned big time first time I played the scenario , but winning it is quite do-able . I do NOT find it unrealistic . After doing a little research, I confirmed what I was already fairly sure of: POLAND WAS NOT A CAKEWALK FOR THE WHERMACHT . Anybody that takes a close look at the campaign will find problems for the Germans cropping up as early as Sept. 3, 1939. The Polish Army, poorly led, and with pitiful equipment, still put up a spirited defense (albiet uncoordinated, and handicapped by incomplete mobilization & disrupted communications).

Several senior German Commanders repeatedly pointed out to Hitler that the German Infantry did not perform on the expected level (e.g. not as well as in WW1) . A huge part of German sucess was Russi invading Poland on Sept. 17, 1939 (at the urging of the Germans).

Many Polish units put up spirited resistance, and the last group of (Polish) defenders did not surrender until October 5, 1939...well after German had claimed a decisive victory . Poland was soundly defeated, but, in a number of cases, the gave the grmans a black eye! . I take it this scenario represents one of the situations where the Germans had to really dig in and gut it out. A couple of major factors in Poland's defeat were incomplete mobilization; a overly long defensive line; and the ever-popular 2-front war. NO historians (well, maybe David Irving, but he's not really a historian, more of a Nazi apologist) will claim that the Polish Army did not put up a good fight .

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 10
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/5/2012 12:03:54 AM   
VPaulus

Does David Irving still publishes his crap?

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 11
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/7/2012 8:02:29 AM   
HRL58

quote:

ORIGINAL:  jjdenver
I realized that there was basically an infinite horde of Polish troops that would just keep coming.

No, there isn't a infinite number, they come in three waves, as the briefing say. I took to the offensive in the last third of the scenario, and conquerd most of the map.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  PRUSSIAN TOM

NO historians (well, maybe David Irving, but he's not really a historian, more of a Nazi apologist) will claim that the Polish Army did not put up a good fight .

I think the myth that the Polish Army did not put up a good fight was a myth circling around in Western Europe and US after the war, i haven't seen this "myth" in any german ww2 books.

It's a rather strange myth when regarding that it took the germans about the the same amount of time time to crush (the then fully mobilized) french and british armies in 1940, as it took them to beat Poland.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 12
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/9/2012 2:07:52 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I was having a lot of fun with the game, finished the normal game campaign, bought the 39 DLC. Everything was good. Then I ran into the 39 Poland scenario where you are defending a river line that arcs from SW to E across the map. I played the scenario but after awhile I realized that there was basically an infinite horde of Polish troops that would just keep coming. It wasn't a wargame, it was like playing Galaga or Space Invaders - some video game with infinite attackers that just kept spawning.

At that point I lost all respect for the game and couldn't pick it up to play anymore. I started to think that any game designers/producers who could make this scenario didn't care at all about putting the player in the seat of a battle commander, just a fantasy video...before this there was some slight level of immersion that this was a WW2-light game- now it just feels like a silly video game to me.

Sadly I have not played the game in over a month...can't make myself go back to it. Is this how the other 41, 42 DLC is also?

I liked the scenario myself,it was a bit harry as I almost lost a core unit. Also I had limited myself to my starting PzI's. As until I complete Poland I don't believe I should upgrade my tanks. Just a personal restriction I placed on myself. Far from loosing respect for the designer i compliment him/her or them for making an enjoyable and challenging fight in the scenario.

The major problem I have to overcome is that this counterattack took down my ready available prestige to 113 for the next scenario.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 13
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/12/2012 4:21:01 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

(Reply) Irving is still selling copies of his crap, it's just that his creditability took a big hit after spending some time in jail in Austria for being an outspoken nazi sympathizer. Sales seem to have gone down!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 14
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/12/2012 4:42:23 AM   
Palmer3

I do not think there is an neverending flow of enemy units

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 15
RE: This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) - 3/18/2012 6:22:41 PM   
PoorOldSpike

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver
...39 Poland scenario where you are defending a river line that arcs from SW to E across the map. It wasn't a wargame, it was like playing Galaga or Space Invaders...

Find a human opponent to play against!
I've been playing PC wargames for 29 years and i've NEVER, EVER found one where the computer-controlled AI forces play realistically and sensibly, including Pz Corps.
Playing against the computer is therefore only good for general training purposes, but for REAL wargaming you MUST play against real live humans face to face or by PBEM.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

Don't be shy, remember live opponents bleed, so they can be killed-

< Message edited by Poor Old Spike -- 3/18/2012 6:26:42 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> This happen to anyone else (39 DLC) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI