Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Space Key in new patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Space Key in new patch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 9:59:27 AM   
Harain

So, in new patch the space key toggles message delay on and off

While I understand the idea behind this, I find this change REALLY bad: i like to be able to read all messages AND be able to fast forward 1 message at a time (old space key function)

As it is now, you can either look at all messages or at none at all... it sort of destroys the game for me

Is there any other key that behaves as the space key used to? Or any simple way to mod it?

I can't play the game as it is now without my beloved space key =/
Post #: 1
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 1:11:14 PM   
USSAmerica

Try the escape key.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 2
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 1:23:09 PM   
Harain

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Try the escape key.

the escape key basically turns off message delay (until a popup appeared), same as the space does now

what I would like, is to have the space key (or any other key) just bypass the current message, but then keep the message delay, like it used to do.

I don't really understand this change... it was perfect before: you had your defined message delay, and you could either wait for the current message to timeout, press space to skip to the next message, or press ESC to bypass all messages.

As it is now, I can either see ALL messages with the defined delay, or NO message at all

Doesn't make sense to me, and it's a real pain

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 1:23:17 PM   
BigBadWolf

There was a rumor going back to WitP that using esc game during turn resolution may cause infamous sync bug.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 4
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 1:36:16 PM   
Dan Nichols

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

There was a rumor going back to WitP that using esc game during turn resolution may cause infamous sync bug.

Probably not true anymore. The ESC key used to end the combat rounds, now it sets all display delays to 0.0. So it doesn't immediately exit, but exits much faster and uses the same number of random numbers.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 5:56:26 PM   
geofflambert

BigBad, nice signature. Looks like Yamato (or is it Mushashi?) from the front. I think I can just see the top of "A" turret under "is futile"

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 6
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/17/2012 6:02:26 PM   
BigBadWolf

Thanks. Yep, it's the pride of the Empire, Yamato :)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/21/2012 8:54:38 AM   
Harain

Bumping this...

I would really love some dev feedback on WHY this was done: it was perfect before and it's just terribly annoying now

Am also wondering why no one else seems to be bothered with this =/

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/21/2012 4:01:00 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harain

Bumping this...

I would really love some dev feedback on WHY this was done: it was perfect before and it's just terribly annoying now

Am also wondering why no one else seems to be bothered with this =/

??

I have not been able to detect any recent change in this. PBEM has worked this way for many, many months. Since I only play PBEM, I can't speak to the behaviour in AI games other than to note that at least the Escape key has had quite diffeent behaviour in AI vice PBEM games since the Sync Bug was squashed.

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 9
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/21/2012 10:03:15 PM   
dr.hal

PBEM seems to scroll through much faster now... is this part of the problem described here?

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 10
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/21/2012 10:13:15 PM   
jmalter

dr.hal - use ctrl-s/ctrl-f during replay in incr/decr the msg delay in 0.5sec steps (beta hotkeys).

< Message edited by jmalter -- 2/21/2012 10:14:21 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 11
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/21/2012 10:17:06 PM   
dr.hal

Great, thanks jmalter.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 12
RE: Space Key in new patch - 2/22/2012 1:13:04 AM   
Harain

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

??

I have not been able to detect any recent change in this. PBEM has worked this way for many, many months. Since I only play PBEM, I can't speak to the behaviour in AI games other than to note that at least the Escape key has had quite diffeent behaviour in AI vice PBEM games since the Sync Bug was squashed.

the change was in last patch:

V1.01. 08r9 – January 21, 2012
"68. Tweak to message delays - space bar will toggle on/off the general message delay"

no idea how it behaves in PBEM since I only play AI, but this took out most of the fun of passing a turn. Now I either get bored silly waiting for the messages to pass (I used to use space to bypass most messages), or just press escape and miss every message. I don't even use the new space key function.

I can understand if this was made to accomodate the PBEM players, but it shouldn't affect the rest of us so badly

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 13
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/2/2012 10:21:48 AM   
Harain

bumping

would really appreciate some reply from the devs, since this is a major inconvenience

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 14
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/2/2012 12:50:40 PM   
michaelm75au

Have you tried using the 'z' key instead of the 'space' key?

Michael

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 15
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/2/2012 7:45:43 PM   
Harain

the 'z' key does just about the same as the Esc key (or most other keys I tried), it accelerates the messages, making them pass really fast for a while.

what I want is a key that does what the Space key used to do before this patch: bypass ONE single message, then return to the player-defined message delay

< Message edited by Harain -- 3/2/2012 7:46:05 PM >

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 16
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/2/2012 8:27:28 PM   
dr.hal

There must be a difference between the space bar and the "Z" key.

Post #: 17
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 5:58:16 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

the 'z' key does just about the same as the Esc key (or most other keys I tried), it accelerates the messages, making them pass really fast for a while.

what I want is a key that does what the Space key used to do before this patch: bypass ONE single message, then return to the player-defined message delay

That was not the purpose of the 'space' key. It didn't work on a message-by-message basis.
In PBEM mode it had no function.
It may have had the unintentional effect of seeming to speed up the message because the call out and return.

Pressing the space key will toggle between fast and the player's message delay setting (if over .5 secs). Under .5, I don't think it does anything.

Michael

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 18
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 11:46:07 AM   
Harain

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm
That was not the purpose of the 'space' key. It didn't work on a message-by-message basis.
In PBEM mode it had no function.
It may have had the unintentional effect of seeming to speed up the message because the call out and return.

Pressing the space key will toggle between fast and the player's message delay setting (if over .5 secs). Under .5, I don't think it does anything.

Maybe it was unintentional, but it DID speed up the current message in AI games, and it was a much too useful feature (albeit unintentional) to just scrap.

I got used to having the message delay at 1 second, in order to have time to read it and locate it on the map, and, if not interested, I could just press Space (instant bypass of current message), and read the next message.

Also, if there was a bunch of messages I wanted to ignore, I could press ESC, and while the messages were scrolling, the Space key had the added bonus of STOPPING the ESC scrolling of messages. It was PERFECT.

Now my options are:
- keep the message delay at 1 second and get bored silly. I can also use the ESC key here, but have no way of stopping the fast scrolling, like I did with the old Space key.
- have them at 0.5 and miss most of what the messages say
- not see any message at all (using the new Space function), which I would NEVER do, I like my messages

Again, I can understand you changing the space key function to accomodate PBEM players, but PLEASE give us (me) a key that does what the Space key used to do.

Please.....

Post #: 19
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 12:48:26 PM   
michaelm75au

Well, that's interesting because the change only was to the PBEM mode (where it wasn't being used). Not to the non-PBEM mode which I use all the time during testing.

So I don't quite understand why it has changed.

Which messages are you referring to???
Animations or the non-animation ones?

< Message edited by michaelm -- 3/3/2012 12:49:30 PM >

Michael

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 20
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 12:58:27 PM   
Harain

quote:

Which messages are you referring to???
Animations or the non-animation ones?

normal messages I guess.

the most glaring example would be troop movement:
without a 1 second delay, you don't have time to see which LCU it is and where it is, but without the space key to hurry up specific messages, it's just insanelly boring, making me hit Esc, and, again, not being able to see anything.... (old space function returned the message rate to normal, after pressing ESC)

quote:

Well, that's interesting because the change only was to the PBEM mode (where it wasn't being used). Not to the non-PBEM mode which I use all the time during testing.

So I don't quite understand why it has changed.

well, never having played PBEM, I can't say how it was or is.

Only thing I know, is that the space key now toggles messages (as stated in patched notes pasted above), instead of the behaviour it ALWAYS has had, which was EXTREMELY useful in AI-games

I don't know if you are a Dev, but if yes, please fix this asap

thx for the fast replies btw =)

Post #: 21
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 2:04:50 PM   
pws1225

Harain - Michaelm is not a Dev, he's a volunteer doing all his magic for the love of the game. If it can be fixed, he's the guy that will do it.

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 22
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 3:19:42 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

So, in new patch the space key toggles message delay on and off

While I understand the idea behind this, I find this change REALLY bad: i like to be able to read all messages AND be able to fast forward 1 message at a time (old space key function)

As it is now, you can either look at all messages or at none at all... it sort of destroys the game for me

Is there any other key that behaves as the space key used to? Or any simple way to mod it?

I can't play the game as it is now without my beloved space key =/

I agree with this. I'm just happy someone else mentioned it first.

Seriously, I liked the old system better. There are many instances in TR where I'd like to skip just one or two messages, but the new system is much less flexible in this regard and makes it difficult to do this any more. I can understand it's implementation, and it has uses (during very long naval engagements, for example) but it should have been assigned to another key while retaining the old system. I think just simply "doing away" with the old space key function was bad.

< Message edited by Treetop64 -- 3/3/2012 3:23:40 PM >

(in reply to Harain)
Post #: 23
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 3:31:12 PM   
michaelm75au

I will try to allocate another key to the 'quick response' and try to put 'space' back how it was.
Finding 'keys' that wont conflict with others is the problem.

The 'z' key speeding things up on the main screen is actually misleading. Apparently any keyboard key can speed it up from my tests.

Michael

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 24
RE: Space Key in new patch - 3/3/2012 7:14:39 PM   
Harain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64
I agree with this. I'm just happy someone else mentioned it first.

Seriously, I liked the old system better. There are many instances in TR where I'd like to skip just one or two messages, but the new system is much less flexible in this regard and makes it difficult to do this any more. I can understand it's implementation, and it has uses (during very long naval engagements, for example) but it should have been assigned to another key while retaining the old system. I think just simply "doing away" with the old space key function was bad.

At last! Someone else is bothered by this! I just couldn't believe I was the only one :p

quote:

I will try to allocate another key to the 'quick response' and try to put 'space' back how it was.
Finding 'keys' that wont conflict with others is the problem.

The 'z' key speeding things up on the main screen is actually misleading. Apparently any keyboard key can speed it up from my tests.

big thx =)

and yea, afaik all keys do basically the same as the Esc key

please let us know when you change it back and thx again =)

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Space Key in new patch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI