Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why are these boards so dead?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Why are these boards so dead? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/23/2012 7:27:03 AM   
jpwrunyan

I want to add my voice to that of those critical of the inconsistant gameplay challenge. This is true. I like this game but I still consider it at best beta-stage quality. Economy and diplomacy need a lot of work. Its a good thing the game isnt mainstream right now because if it were it would get panned. And no matter how much you fix it after that the damage to the brand is done. I dont play the game anymore because of the inconsistent gameplay quality. I still follow the forums because I like the game itself. I just wish it would get better faster.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 31
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/24/2012 7:21:47 PM   
Nedrear

Since the interest of my mod died down "a little" and I got EU3 Chronicles running - so much for expansion packs collections -I was playing it most of my time. I will most likely focus on it a little longer before I finish my mod and then try to mod my own world (Ned) into EU 3.

IF my threads would have gotten a push in the one time I come along per week I would have answered them though...

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 32
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/25/2012 1:39:10 AM   
Malicar

First post here. Hello Everyone...

I've been checking this site ever since I heard about Distant Worlds during the Galciv 2 Beta. Not once have I ever seen a price drop and looking at the current product page, I'm required to buy the original game and both expansion packs to play Legends. There is no demo or time trial for this game either. Personally I've never used Matrix games but I'm all for supporting the indy community and have been a fan of the genre since MOO. Still though I can't justify those prices on a product or service I've never used.

I suspect the forums would be much busier if the game was cheaper and more accessible. I mean if it was priced right and had a bundle to bring in new players I would be all over it. Assuming it doesn't have some insane DRM scheme with it. I will keep watching for price drops or alternate forms of distribution but even Microsoft doesn't abuse Games on Demand as bad as the prices are on here. Hell I've bought Sins and all it's expansions for a fraction of the cost. You won't sell many copies of any game with this approach. Especially niche 2D games.

PS I really love reading about the game and the videos are inspiring on some levels. Performance is definantly noticably better on Legends videos. I would definantly give this a try if it came in a bundle at the right price. I will keep on checking back I guess. Happy gaming everyone.

< Message edited by Malicar -- 2/25/2012 1:40:57 AM >

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 33
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 11:28:54 AM   
Arcatus

I don't have much spare time to play games...

But when I do: I play DW.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 34
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 1:32:41 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malicar

First post here. Hello Everyone...

I've been checking this site ever since I heard about Distant Worlds during the Galciv 2 Beta. Not once have I ever seen a price drop and looking at the current product page, I'm required to buy the original game and both expansion packs to play Legends. There is no demo or time trial for this game either. Personally I've never used Matrix games but I'm all for supporting the indy community and have been a fan of the genre since MOO. Still though I can't justify those prices on a product or service I've never used.

I suspect the forums would be much busier if the game was cheaper and more accessible. I mean if it was priced right and had a bundle to bring in new players I would be all over it. Assuming it doesn't have some insane DRM scheme with it. I will keep watching for price drops or alternate forms of distribution but even Microsoft doesn't abuse Games on Demand as bad as the prices are on here. Hell I've bought Sins and all it's expansions for a fraction of the cost. You won't sell many copies of any game with this approach. Especially niche 2D games.

PS I really love reading about the game and the videos are inspiring on some levels. Performance is definantly noticably better on Legends videos. I would definantly give this a try if it came in a bundle at the right price. I will keep on checking back I guess. Happy gaming everyone.

Historically, Matrix has a once a year "Holiday Season" sale. You may have to wait until late November.

(in reply to Malicar)
Post #: 35
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 2:04:33 PM   
solops

Hmmm. Did not know these boards were dead.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 36
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 5:20:04 PM   
Morelyn

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

Compared to many other boards (Paradox ones, for example), yes, the posts come pretty slowly here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 37
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 6:14:01 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

Since the interest of my mod died down "a little" and I got EU3 Chronicles running - so much for expansion packs collections -I was playing it most of my time. I will most likely focus on it a little longer before I finish my mod and then try to mod my own world (Ned) into EU 3.

IF my threads would have gotten a push in the one time I come along per week I would have answered them though...

EU3........i still like it but talk about being forced to buy expansion packs as a fellow mentions later in this thread. Also i bought all the GalCiv games/expansions as they came out and still like DW above them.

Sorry to hear your mod is going to be delayed then Nedrear.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 38
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 8:46:34 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morelyn

quote:

Compared to many other boards (Paradox ones, for example), yes, the posts come pretty slowly here.

That is a huge community,like Totalwar and Civ game forums.Not many other strategy sites come close to these.

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 39
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/26/2012 9:04:11 PM   
Morelyn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

quote:

That is a huge community,like Totalwar and Civ game forums.Not many other strategy sites come close to these.

Aren't you just asking my question a different way? Why are those communities so huge and this one not?

Sure, some of it is more marketing dollars, longevity, etc., but still...

I happen to think DW is a really great game. It took me some time to give it a chance, perhaps, paradoxically, because so much of it is automated that at first I just let it play itself, and so got bored quickly. Once I took a lot off automation I started getting much more interested.

And the expansions have certainly improved the game a great deal, to the point where IMO it can hold its own with most Paradox products and is superior to any Total War (if not graphically, then in depth).

I would like to see a lot more discussion, and several others have posted that they would as well. The huge hovering crowd of lurkers would seem to indicate that many are hungry for more posts. Perhaps, as some have said, when a proper release as opposed to all these betas comes out.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 40
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/27/2012 6:25:05 AM   
feeling

I played distant worlds for several months. It becomes one of my most favorite computer games.

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 41
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/27/2012 6:39:31 AM   
J HG T

Yea, I've been mostly lurking too in recent times. I still play DW regulary, alongside with SoaSE (waiting for the Rebellion expansion) and SPAZ (waiting for the free "Bounty Hunter expansion"). But, I have to admit that majority of my gaming time has been spent replaying ME1&ME2 and playing ME3 demos MP (which I found surprisingly entertaining and fun). Not many days 'till ME3 is out!

I'll definetly be around these forums, checking them daily. I've been mostly waiting for the patch that fixes AI designs one way or other, and seems like it may be the next one coming out.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to feeling)
Post #: 42
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 2/27/2012 9:59:54 AM   
Demonius

Well, for me its primarily Star Trek Online - after trying it out a few months ago and then changing to SWTOR, I returned to it because SWTOR was kind of a disappointment and found the new free to play version quite an improvement - so much that I subscribed again. Secondary game would be World of Tanks, and then DW/SoaSE/ME3D-MP.

When ME3 comes out, I will shift to it for quite some time (I still have my 5 savegames of ME2/ME1... Paragon/Renegade male and female Shepards and a male Mix-up crazy decision Shepard.)

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 43
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/3/2012 10:18:51 PM   
swetiger

Been lurkin the forum for a while to get an idea of what people thinks of Distant World. Most people gives it a big score. I will give it a try.

Downloading...

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war (Vegetius)

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 44
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/4/2012 12:31:39 PM   
martok

Awesome.  Hope you enjoy it, swetiger 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to swetiger)
Post #: 45
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/4/2012 3:56:01 PM   
Simulation01

Well, the bugs have been hitting me pretty hard lately. I will build up a good sized empire and suddenly the entire screen goes white with a red X. Also, I feel that I've argued my case on many a wish list. I also believe the modders are waist deep in creativity right now what with the characters and such. The bugs really must go however... I don't even want to try and start a new game for fear of wasting my time.

I feel that a lot of people are just busy. Busy with Modding. Busy waiting on bug fixes. Tired of saying the same things over and over. I've seen and participated in the arguments for features.... some have been incorporated into the game...others have not. I also don't know where CodeForce is going next...that would be nice to know... another expansion? DW2? Bugs must go first though....MUST GO....

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 46
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/4/2012 5:05:44 PM   
Igard

Sorry to hear you're having bugs, Sim. Missed you on the forums lately.

I haven't built a large sized empire in a very long time now. Only once have I done so with the Legends expansion!

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 47
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/4/2012 5:37:22 PM   
Simulation01

Hey Igard! I just installed the latest Beta and played about 5 minutes of it, would have played more but I'm about to leave for a bit, and it looks pretty sweet! I am really liking the new features Erik!!!! I really hope it's stable because I have limited the colonization radius to 2 sectors and I really want to see what this does to the empires and how they interact! I'm very Excited.

I have personally been busy as well Igard. My work and studying or the pressure of needing to study wants to ruin my off time! I feel that if I'm not studying I'm a sorry human being in need of caneing.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 48
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/18/2012 5:32:51 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Surely I can't be the only person in the world who has just discovered this game and who would like to read more discussion about it? Didn't Legends bring in any new people?

Or are all Matrix Games forums pretty low volume compared to other game discussion boards?

It seems like 90% of the people frequenting this board are old-time players who don't have much new to talk about...is that about the size of it?

Well, if you're late to the party you're late to it and most of the people have already blown their horns and gulped down most of the good stuff. Most everybody is asleep on the floor and passed out from all the early fun of the party. You can't expect everyone to jump up and wail and shout just because you arrived.

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 49
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/21/2012 5:47:01 AM   
tjhkkr

WOW

Actually: this is the FIRST time I have ever seen NO ONE on the forum at all...
Just me... all alone...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 50
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/21/2012 12:00:21 PM   
ehsumrell1

".....Go back to your drinks.....Jedi business here!"

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 51
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/21/2012 4:36:12 PM   
Data

You'll never walk alone....that's what Johny Walker says

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 52
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/21/2012 6:07:38 PM   
Chet Guiles

The forums aren't really "dead" -- but I'd guess that many of us check the forums regularly, and only sign on or comment when there's something worthwhile (in our opinion, of course) to say. Playing the beta patches, I always start a new game or two, and unless something crashes or is obviously problematic, I just browse the forum withiout signing on, and get on with playing. With all the things we could do, we could spend half our lives on various internet social sites, game forums and so forth ad absurdum. If I think I have something to contribute that would really help a novice player, I'd say so. At present, I'm content to watch, wait and play.

(in reply to Morelyn)
Post #: 53
RE: Why are these boards so dead? - 3/21/2012 7:17:25 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
".....Go back to your drinks.....Jedi business here!"

More like:
Jedi Business, go back to your Romulan ale.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Why are these boards so dead? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI