Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: With the Wren Detachment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: With the Wren Detachment Page: <<   < prev  229 230 [231] 232 233   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 3:50:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
"favor de no tocar la ropa"

Perhaps it was your fault for not conjugating the right verbo, senor. "Por favor de no destruir la ropa" sounds more direct and to the point...

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6901
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 4:03:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Perhaps it was your fault for not conjugating the right verbo, senor. "Por favor de no destruir la ropa" sounds more direct and to the point...

True, I should have been more specific and told NOT to wash my leather chaps with the opening in back. Damn, I loved those things.

On an aside, if Musashi was rolled off the blocks on Dec 1, she must have motored down to the Banda Sea immediately. I wonder if she still had the naval architects and subcontractors aboard in the fashion of King George V.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6902
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 4:25:28 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

True, I should have been more specific and told NOT to wash my leather chaps with the opening in back. Damn, I loved those things.

On an aside, if Musashi was rolled off the blocks on Dec 1, she must have motored down to the Banda Sea immediately. I wonder if she still had the naval architects and subcontractors aboard in the fashion of King George V.

Right BB class, but it was Prince of Wales that met Bismarck with shipyard men aboard [just in case some of your readers were scratching their heads about the KG V reference].
Re: the "availability date", the manual does say it is an estimate and I think I read on this forum that you can direct more effort to certain ships in the Beta version now out, so possibly Musashi was accelerated when Captial ship losses got higher.

Post #: 6903
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 4:43:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********A Turret, Musashi, 02;20, Dec. 7, 1942(c)********

The sounds of enemy 6 inch and 5 inch rounds can be heard overhead. The ammunition elevator stops abruptly at its designed postion. Where there should have been an 18 in. round and bags of powder, there are instead 4 large bowls of steaming hot fish head soup with soy curd in beautiful new chrysanthemum-themed porcelain.

Chief Gunner: No, NO, NO, NO, NO! I need AP!

Asst: <on headset> The chief wants AP. No more soup.......Hai! Sir, it's the galley. It seems there may be a design or installation error. They wonder if you would prefer salted sea urchin roe?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/13/2012 4:55:18 PM >

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 6904
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 4:52:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Right BB class, but it was Prince of Wales that met Bismarck with shipyard men aboard [just in case some of your readers were scratching their heads about the KG V reference].....

Ah, yes. You are right. King Geroge V was involved later.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6905
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 5:01:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This is something we lofty-in-rank Admirals might assign to staff but everybody just makes fun of us around the house so, instead, I propose we go to the "croud" and ask the Shinto Fan Boys this simple question:

Given the losses below, what CV/CVL/CVE will the LYB's have left on Dec 7, 1942(c) in Scenario 2?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6906
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 5:10:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Question for Admiral Lord SPrior:

Did we not have some convincing evidence that one of the LYB flattops was sunk recently at the 32nd Naval Battle of Port Hedrand? Perhaps I am thinking of one of the BB's? The one hit by FAA Albacores.

Post #: 6907
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 6:56:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

09:30...Nov 28

Allied conterstrike is woefully short of fighters, but the 3 carriers have been packed with SBD's...and they are ill-tempered. the ball clears the top tier and sails past the right field lights.......

Morning Air attack on TF, near Broome at 60,126

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 50

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 12
F4F-4 Wildcat x 19
SBD-3 Dauntless x 61

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore I: 4 destroyed, 6 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat: 6 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 8 destroyed, 8 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVE Unyo, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires
DD Naganami

Is this the battle you are asking about CM? [post #6586]. I think all those carriers except Kaga were likely deep divers ...

Edit- PS: BB Hyuga was hit by Albacores shortly after this battle, but I think it was only one torp.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 3/13/2012 6:58:34 PM >

Post #: 6908
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/13/2012 8:56:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

This is something we lofty-in-rank Admirals might assign to staff but everybody just makes fun of us around the house so, instead, I propose we go to the "croud" and ask the Shinto Fan Boys this simple question:

Given the losses below, what CV/CVL/CVE will the LYB's have left on Dec 7, 1942(c) in Scenario 2?

When was the last time you saw a Japanese CS? Many players will convert these, but-even in the accelerated timeframe that is Scenario 2, converted CS-CVLs won't be available until mid-1943.

Based upon my dead reckoning, uncounted in that list of IJ CVs / CVLs circa late 1942:

CV Shokaku
CV Zuikaku
CV Akagi
CVL Zuiho
CVL Shoho

There might be an other CVE or two as well that is unaccounted for.

Post #: 6909
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 12:06:28 AM   
BBfanboy

Right - CVL Ryuho [31 aircraft, 26 kts] and CVE Chuyo [27 a/c, 21 kts] arrive Nov. 25-28/42.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6910
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 5:11:53 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

In other news, Stalker fired The Mayan for "insubordination"

I really shouldn't laugh but having estrogen as a neurotransmitter must be quite a challenge. I'm not saying testosterone is harmless either...but still.

In fairness, it was 60% The Mayan's fault, 30% Stalker Junior and 10% Stalker Girl. You will note this adds to 100% so I am completley blamess.

I think I probably had $400-500 of clothes and towels destroyed by The Mayan. I will admit some blame for letting it go on too long out of loyalty to the The Mayan....and truth be told...for entertainment value. I did warn her "favor de no tocar la ropa" but she was compelled to tweak "la senora".

I wonder if there are any French maids aroudn here?

Hate to break up the discussion thread about JJ's remaining Carriers, but I'm concerned that you have a potentially bigger disaster looming at home:
60% Mayan's fault + 30% Stalker Junior's fault + 10% Stalker Girls fault = 100% your fault, instead of 0% of the blame.

Here's the brutal math: without the Mayan, you have 0% of the necessary and willing experienced cleaning support now available for your household. A 30% presence of Stalker Junior will drift into a positive feedback loop creating 290% of standard household weekly mess in one-third the usual time.

The 10% initial involvement of stalker girl in the dust-up will upgrade to 100% of the urgent need to clean up the house after Stalker Junior does her best to maximize the home entropy.

Stalker Girl will soon be 100% pissed, and you, who were previously responsible for funding 100% of the Mayan's cleaning work effort, will now be the viewed by Stalker Girl as continuing to be 100% directly responsible for fixing said mess.

And, of course, you will be recipient of 100% of the blame when said mess hasn't been cleaned up before Stalker Girl exceeds her critical mass of tolerance for Stalker Junior's entropy project.

In short, your presumed "completely blameless" position will soon be transformed into 100% of the blame for the friggin' mess your house is in with no Mayan to clean it up.

The Mayan, of course, eagerly backed by the state of California's Household Worker Abuse Investigation Legal Task Force that your EDD taxes funded, will soon find you 100% responsible for the stress disability damages she is owed after it has been determined that it was you who forced her to work in a hostile home environment.

As they call out to the few brave remaining guys left on the ground performing close-in perimeter defense, covering the final dust-off evac helo as it takes off, "Good luck, Chuck!"

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 6911
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 5:19:51 AM   
witpqs

Great heavens, man! I fear it's just the tip of the iceberg. Did the Mayan use, er, protection?

http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=5342

Post #: 6912
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 9:51:07 PM   
sprior

The nerds guide to British Battships arrived to day. Boody excellent news in an otherwise crappy fortnight at work.

Honestly, I can't get enough of this kind of stuff.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6913
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 10:29:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

What? The crappy fortnight at work? This AAR? The game?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6914
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 10:42:19 PM   
sprior

The book

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6915
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 10:46:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The nerds guide to British Battships arrived to day. Boody excellent news in an otherwise crappy fortnight at work.

You sound like me - I have dozens of books covering WW1 & WW2 warship specs and I keep looking for more pictures of these elegant vessels. The web makes finding stuff a whole lot easier. It all started when I got a plastic model of USS Fletcher for Christmas when I was about 9 years old. Been a junkie ever since.
I drooled over the thought of owning Gary Grigsby's Pacific War [board game version] but it was expensive and I never had space to lay it out undisturbed by kids and dogs. WITP-AE has filled that item on my bucket list [and there is no chance of losing the little cardboard unit counters, either]!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6916
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 10:52:49 PM   
sprior

quote:

Gary Grigsby's Pacific War [board game version]

I think that was Mark Herman's published by Victory Games. I have that and played it twice.

This was the first book about naval history I ever bought, I think I was 10.

< Message edited by sprior -- 3/14/2012 10:56:31 PM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6917
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 11:12:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Nice cover illustration. Does it say where the water is leaking in on Royal Sovereign?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/14/2012 11:17:49 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6918
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/14/2012 11:53:51 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

water is leaking

Don't sweat the leaks. Worry about the floods.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 6919
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/15/2012 2:51:10 AM   
perkinh

quote:

quote:

Nice cover illustration. Does it say where the water is leaking in on Royal Sovereign?

As long as its leaking- your still afloat.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 6920
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/15/2012 2:55:34 AM   
perkinh

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

water is leaking

Reminds me of my first flight on a CH53E...I was sitting near the hatsch watching the fluid drip onto the deck. I got the Crew chiefs attention and pointed. He smiled , gave me the thumbs up and said, " Good, tell me if it stop, because then we are out of transmission fluid". True story, and i watched it the whole trip.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 6921
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/15/2012 4:05:42 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

water is leaking

I think it goes "Don't sweat the leaks; worry about the floods, but most of all, pray for the pumps!"

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 6922
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 1:08:35 PM   
Itdepends

Bugger me- only just saved this AAR from falling to page 2.

Has Capt Mandrake succumed to domestic violence following the departure of the Mayan?
Will Stalker girl junior ever be able to find her own socks?
And has Frau Brown left surburbia or is she lurking behind the shrubbery waiting to pounce?
Stay tuned and find out after this short break.

Post #: 6923
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 4:12:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So far, domestic violence has been narrowly averted, though I think Stalker Girl Jr. is NOT happy with my apportionment of blame to her. This has troubled me greatly...but now I am over it.

The good news is the water bill went down to $80 from $550 after I hired the nice Nigerian plumber to reapir the water line. I think he was nice because I paid them $1500. I could have sworn his assistant was Apolo Ohno the speed skater. I guess the endorsements weren't rolling in. The Nigerian boss and Apolo found the leak with a fancy sound detector. Amazingly, it was right under where the water was coming up. Then the Nigerian and Apolo left and they left the big white guy to dig the ditch.

Frau Braun has left me alone other than a note about my trash cans. I think they have been picking on Mr. Chang across the street. He has had some boys from Morelia over there every other day for two weeks. They hauled out about 2 cubic miles of dead wood and clippings. I now see how JJ was able to repair the field at PH so fast. Ironically, it now looks worse with bare dirt on the hillside. Frau Braun will NOT be happy.

Also, at work, someone decided to run against me for President. She came to me and asked "permission" which was a subtle way of asking me to to withdraw. I don't know what to do. If it gets ugly and she finds The Mayan my goose is cooked.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6924
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 4:19:56 PM   
Crackaces

Rah Roh! I sure hope Gloria Alred does not read this forum or you are in very deep trouble .. I can see the press conference now .. a tearful Mayan explaining how she was abused by the Stalker girl .. this is not a good turn of events ...I might seek an interview with Greta and get ahead of this ...

Post #: 6925
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 4:25:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****************Dce 9, 1942(c)***************

Dobo: The PT flotilla from the previous fight went back as they still had torps. JJ brought more transport taffys.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Dobo at 83,116, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PC Sumire
E Kiku
DMS W-5, Shell hits 3
DMS W-6, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DMS W-7, Shell hits 3
PB Fuji Maru, Shell hits 1
PB Keinan Maru, Shell hits 1, heavy damage
PB Aso Maru #3
SC Ch 12
xAK Yamasimo Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Azuma Maru
xAK Hakkai Maru
xAK Hokuroku Maru
xAK Tokyo Maru
xAK Nako Maru
xAK Tenryu Maru
xAK Asuka Maru
xAK Erie Maru
xAK Yamayuri Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Seizan Maru
xAK Hokuriku Maru
xAP Miike Maru
xAP Buenos Aires Maru
xAP Montevideo Maru
xAK Tenshinsan Maru, Shell hits 2

Allied Ships
PT-21
PT-28
PT-115, Shell hits 1
PT-118, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT-150, Shell hits 2
PT-166
PT-173, Shell hits 1, on fire

Task forces break off...

Allies subs were very aggressive around Dobo but did no damage. These boys showed up at Dobo and now rule the roost.

CA Aoba
CA Myoko
CA Chokai
DD Oboro
DD Samidare
DD Karukaya
DD Hatakaze

These are the same ships that were engaged off PH. I think JJ has given up there.

A single AK was damaged by the B-25's from Merauke. B-17's from Horn staged an effective raid on groudn troops at Dobo.

JJ managed to get most of their troops ashore and it may be a formidable force after all. The jumpmster finally managed to push the 503rd command element out of the C-47.

Ground combat at Dobo (83,116)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1065 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 114

Defending force 8005 troops, 56 guns, 37 vehicles, Assault Value = 229

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
503rd Parachute Regiment
21st Marine Rgt /4
F Det USN Port Svc /1
1st USN Naval Construction Battalion
3rd USN SeaBees /2

Defending units:
67th Infantry Group
16th Division
2nd Raiding Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Post #: 6926
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 5:15:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Also, at work, someone decided to run against me for President. She came to me and asked "permission" which was a subtle way of asking me to to withdraw. I don't know what to do. If it gets ugly and she finds The Mayan my goose is cooked.

Suggest to her that she allow you some personal consideration, after which you will withdraw.

Post #: 6927
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 6:17:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Suggest to her that she allow you some personal consideration, after which you will withdraw.

Dood;

Are you TRYING to get me in trouble? At least Rick Santorum would approve of your method.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6928
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/16/2012 6:24:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Port Hedrand: JJ sent in a suicidal DMS to disrupt our supply offloading.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 57,129, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DMS Taneko, Shell hits 26, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Hull
DD Dale
DD Arunta
DD Isaac Sweers
DD Jupiter
DD Napier

They succeeded in comitting sepuku

Waves of Allied bombers from all 4 airfields went after PH today with good effect. The Beauforts are now flying from Exmouth, including a squadron of 18 torpedo-capable RAAF Beauforts.

Jap Netties went after the DD group and and AK's at PH but were chopped up pretty badly by the Wildcats and P-38's flying LRCAP. 2 AK's were hit with torps.

No Jap ground attack there.

Post #: 6929
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 3/17/2012 3:07:10 AM   
zuluhour

Its just me, but I'd tell her to run with me or run away, if shes a dame I'd tell her to go run for some Hendricks and we'll talk about it.
This has to be the longest battle for PH in AE history, what in the hay is so valuable there?

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 3/17/2012 3:08:02 AM >

Post #: 6930
Page:   <<   < prev  229 230 [231] 232 233   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: With the Wren Detachment Page: <<   < prev  229 230 [231] 232 233   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI