Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 4:07:33 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Hi obvert,

In all this time I've never really paid any attention to the flow of fuel/oil and resources from Singapore to Fusan. I'll start paying more attention and see if I can add anything to your discussion. I have lots of fuel (300k+) sitting at Singapore, but don't try and draw any via Bangkok, Saigon, Hong Kong or Shanghai. I'll play around and see if I can come up with something.

That's great. The more info the better. It might even be in your tracker info if you use that looking at one place you already draw from to see if it's filling up more than it was early in the war.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 421
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 6:31:41 PM   
Captain Cruft

You do know that the 800kg bomb carrying dive bombers are Kamikaze only aircraft? I realise the game allows you to use them normally but I wouldn't do it. Not cricket ...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 422
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 6:49:52 PM   
Historiker

Am I correct that turning off "upgrades" at the R&D factories means they stay R&D when the plane is available? I put my R&D on "no" to be able advancing later models with the same factories as well.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 423
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 9:08:54 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Am I correct that turning off "upgrades" at the R&D factories means they stay R&D when the plane is available? I put my R&D on "no" to be able advancing later models with the same factories as well.

Yes, that's right.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 424
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 9:19:26 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

You do know that the 800kg bomb carrying dive bombers are Kamikaze only aircraft? I realise the game allows you to use them normally but I wouldn't do it. Not cricket ...

I do realize that's how they were designed and implemented. Since I've decided not to push toward these in R n D anyway, by that time I should be able to kill my pilots intentionally and in droves.

I would think the Grace should be able to be used in standard attacks carrying the 800 kg bomb if it will load that.

That said, if it comes to that point, and I feel the need to do it, I would have a conversation with my opponent to see how he feels about it. The really fun part of the game is to adapt standard weapons to uses and missions they were never given during the war. As you've discovered I thnk!

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 425
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 9:41:10 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi obvert,

Just wanted to point out something I just realized in my AAR. Since hitting 1943 the HI expenditure for my pilot training has increased from around 19500/month to around 24000/month. If you are looking at reaching a certain surplus by a certain date don't forget to factor this in. I'm guessing it will only get worse if pilot training pools continue to increase over the course of the war. This potentially makes the benefits of TRACOM more important. The more pilots you can accelerate through the pipeline may reduce the HI expenditure over the long term. Not exactly sure if that's how it works, but that's my guess.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 426
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 10:40:12 PM   
obvert

quote:

Hi obvert,

Just wanted to point out something I just realized in my AAR. Since hitting 1943 the HI expenditure for my pilot training has increased from around 19500/month to around 24000/month. If you are looking at reaching a certain surplus by a certain date don't forget to factor this in. I'm guessing it will only get worse if pilot training pools continue to increase over the course of the war. This potentially makes the benefits of TRACOM more important. The more pilots you can accelerate through the pipeline may reduce the HI expenditure over the long term. Not exactly sure if that's how it works, but that's my guess.

Good points, thanks. I think TRACOM does do that, decreasing the amount in training in theory by releasing them early, missing the payment at the end of the month. Or something like that.

I've only really begun to calculate this year, as it's so hard to predict how much I'll be using in 43 and how much I can increase with Chinese acquisitions and building more HI in Singapore, Soerabaja, Batavia and Saigon.

As it looks like I could have China for some time to come, I might consider even breaking 'the Rule' and increasing LI. There are plenty of resources and this would make China both self-sufficient and potentially an exporter of supply. I might minimally raise other areas like Java, the PI, and Malaya as well, since those will be around for the two year turn-around time it takes for costs to be made-up. It's really an investment for the defense in the future though, potentially, so that less shipping has to move around later in the game. We'll see. Still considering these ideas.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 427
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 10:52:17 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I agree on the LI expansion as well. I'm definitely going to look at doing that in my next game to some degree. Whether it is in the Home Islands or China has yet to be determined.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 428
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 10:56:12 PM   
Historiker

I only have a surplus of 5k ressources. I don't consider that this much, and I'd rather reduce my LI!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 429
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 11:03:53 PM   
obvert

quote:

I only have a surplus of 5k ressources. I don't consider that this much, and I'd rather reduce my LI!

ha ha! Sorry! I think the late start doesn't probably assume the number of CS convoys I've been running! I'm getting a month or so away from reducing both Hokkaido and Sakhalin to less than 50,000 resources at any given time. I have to STOP several convoys soon or there will be no resources for them to pick up.

Also I've been running convoys to Nauru and Ocean plus small bases in the DEI to major ports. When troops and supply convoys arrive, they go back with resources. I haven't even had to worry about how much I'm sending because I'm sending back far too much.

All of the is from reading Mike Solli's AAR just as I was beginning the game. Good timing. He of course figures out the exact amount needed and calculates the ships to run that amount. I just run as much as I can.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 430
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 11:16:07 PM   
Historiker

5k plus is only 150k per month - taken I get everything home and nothing is sunk under way. Looking at the consumption, I rather have a few hundred thousand ressources already home. Ressources can't be bombed and they don't spoil, so that's my choice.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 431
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/19/2012 11:32:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

5k plus is only 150k per month - taken I get everything home and nothing is sunk under way. Looking at the consumption, I rather have a few hundred thousand ressources already home. Ressources can't be bombed and they don't spoil, so that's my choice.

Ahh. I misunderstood, didn't read carefully. 150k per month over in total.

In China there are a lot of good resource centers not hard to conquer. Especially once you clear the East there is Pingsiang, with 120 resources. That should top you up. But most of the Chinese cities you'll take early will have extra.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/19/2012 11:33:46 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 432
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 2:59:59 AM   
Dan Nichols

My view on Light Industry. I think that most competent Japanese players will stay afloat until the end of 1945. It takes 1000 days to recoup your supply expenditure for repairing a LI. This assumes that it is not bombed or captured before the end of 1945. That would seem that any LI repaired before 1 April 1943 would be a break even expenditure. So, LI repaired during 1942 will generate more supply that it took to repair them. Again, given a good push in China ( which obvert is doing ) most of the LI that is captured damaged can be repaired and most likely will be available until very late into the game. You could also expand LI on the home islands for some additional cost. Just some food for thought.

< Message edited by Dan Nichols -- 3/20/2012 3:02:26 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 433
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 4:39:22 AM   
PaxMondo

What Dan says, except note that you don't get the payback until '45.  I don't have supply issues in '45, I have them in '42.  So I don't expend any supply repairing LI.  Ever.  Or resource centers. Never.

Oil - YES, almost always.  Burma is an exception if I don't go for India at least as far as Calcutta.
HI - Usually

Pax

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 434
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 9:59:32 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

My view on Light Industry. I think that most competent Japanese players will stay afloat until the end of 1945. It takes 1000 days to recoup your supply expenditure for repairing a LI. This assumes that it is not bombed or captured before the end of 1945. That would seem that any LI repaired before 1 April 1943 would be a break even expenditure. So, LI repaired during 1942 will generate more supply that it took to repair them. Again, given a good push in China ( which obvert is doing ) most of the LI that is captured damaged can be repaired and most likely will be available until very late into the game. You could also expand LI on the home islands for some additional cost. Just some food for thought.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

What Dan says, except note that you don't get the payback until '45.  I don't have supply issues in '45, I have them in '42.  So I don't expend any supply repairing LI.  Ever.  Or resource centers. Never.

Oil - YES, almost always.  Burma is an exception if I don't go for India at least as far as Calcutta.
HI - Usually

While I haven't played that far yet I can imagine that supply wouldn't be as much of a problem later in the game in a global sense.

The idea I'm playing with is to make each area more self-reliant and able to generate supply for defensive purposes without using as many major convoys from the HI, which waste both fuel and ships in the process.

As Pax notes, though, I am always right on the brink in terms of supply so far in the war. This beginning phase is so fast paced and supply intensive with all of the repairs to R n D and industry.

I will definitely increase HI. This is just good policy for Japan in areas with plentiful fuel and resources.

I might repair or slightly increase LI in select areas that have an over-abundance of local resources and which should be still part of the empire during the next three years.

I will not increase damaged resources.

I will repair and max all oil in the Empire.

I may fix damaged refineries in select locations. Tarakan has been fixed. Miri will not be fixed. (All others have been captured largely intact, which is very lucky! Of course at some point this could change with 4E bombing, notably in Burma).

This is all an experiment, but of course the comments of those who have played into 45 are so helpful. It really is hard to imagine what will happen and plan for that now. But of course this is close to real life, and I like the uncertainty and multiple possible paths to choose from. So much depends not only on what I choose, but what my opponent decides as well, so a sense of complete control is really unachievable. Yet decisions must be made. So many choices ...

And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2012 10:37:41 AM >

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 435
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 10:24:07 AM   
Historiker

Increasing LI in areas where you need supplies is something completly different. Not being forced to ship supplies has its own quality and worth. IF I were to repair any LI or even increase it, China were the only place for this to happen!

HI is increased wherever suitable, of course :)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 436
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 10:48:56 AM   
koniu

How do you manage to have 4,7M fuel in June 42.
I do not remember but did japan do not start with somewhere around ~5M reserve.
that will mean that you droop only with 300k.

Correct me if i wrong?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 437
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 12:19:26 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

How do you manage to have 4,7M fuel in June 42.
I do not remember but did japan do not start with somewhere around ~5M reserve.
that will mean that you droop only with 300k.

Correct me if i wrong?

I captured a good amount of fuel at Singapore, Palembang, Balikpapan and other spots due to quick strong invasions and a bit of luck I think. Tarakan was the only major oil/refinery base captured with a lot of damage other than Miri, but is repaired fully now. Miri is on the way (Oil only), I'm producing in Rangoon and Magwe at full capacity with no bombing from 4Es yet. Both major Chinese Oil/refinery bases have been captured at Sian and Lanchow.

I've also continually shipped to the HI refineries, even though that probably isn't part of the equation yet as the surplus would still be getting refined there if I hadn't.

Something else that may be helping is that I use Fusan exclusively to ship from Manchuria. So all of my CS convoys travel two hexes back and forth rather than 15-20.

Other than that I can't say how I have so much. I didn't even realize I did have a lot.

In spite of a couple of big runs into the South Pacific and around Perth most of my combat ships have not needed to sortie, especially the fuel sucking BBs. I have run through the original allotment at Truk, but have only shipped another 50-70k there so far, and about the same to Kaweijalen, Rabaul, and now Tulagi.

Here is the tracker global view of stockpiles. Looking at this I must be refining a lot as oil has dropped significantly since the beginning of the game.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2012 12:27:14 PM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 438
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 12:32:30 PM   
obvert

The Global View

I'm still not good at using tracker to chow particular spots and isolate what is happening in regions. I use it for more of a global check-up. This may be because in previous games I didn't use it at all and had to get a feeling for the big numbers and what to look out for in terms of economic problems.

I'd love to learn now something about how to isolate a region like China and see how self-sufficient it is, what is surplus and what is needed in smaller areas. Maybe during Jocke's next vacation I can work on that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2012 12:36:49 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 439
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 12:35:15 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Something else that may be helping is that I use Fusan exclusively to ship from Manchuria. So all of my CS convoys travel two hexes back and forth rather than 15-20.

How do you manage that the Machurian ressources come to fusan? Mine all flow to Port Arthur.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 440
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 12:50:04 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

How do you manage that the Machurian ressources come to fusan? Mine all flow to Port Arthur.

This is a Pax special method. I listened during his explanation in Mike Solli's AAR . He outlined that you have to start early and commit to the change, and shift CS routes over time to stop using Port Arthur.

Here it is in steps. Luckily I started within days of the beginning of the campaign.

1. Move a ton of engineer units to Fusan. Build port to the max (8). Set to hold resources, fuel whatever else you want here.

2. Set up at least two CS convoys, starting small, and set them to go between Fusan and Fukuoka or somewhere close. He works it so they pass in the night and are at opposite ports during the load/unload.

3. Wait for these small convoys to begin drawing resources to Fusan, and as it gets bigger things will speed up. Once they are going well and loading each day to leave, then add more ships until they are big convoys that send 30,000 or so a day back and forth.

It will take time, and judging by the small amount of surplus here it may not seem like it's working because there will still be more stuff in Port Arthur. As long as the ships are full and go, it's drawing here.

Obviously extra naval support helps. I now have the Combined Fleet HQ here as its range still hits big ports in Japan but most of it is used to speed things up and create more of a draw here.

4. As these begin to take the load stop convoys from Port Arthur and Keijo. It takes time to 'train' the AI to send the stuff to a new place, but it won't work well if you're still drawing it from there. I still have one operating from Keijo but should probably turn it off as it's completely redundant by now.

-Optional-

5. Conquer China (at least to join the rail) and use the rail lines from Singers to draw fuel up over land only. This is still in the process of me trying to figure it out. But the pieces are in place and it just might take time. If it works, that's a lot of fuel and ships saved.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 441
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 2:42:05 PM   
obvert

25 June 1942

West Australia: At Geraldton Nells destroy one vehicle and damage five. Not overwhelming, but they flew at least.

So Pac: Troops unload at Mornington Island during the night. An SNLF and an AF Coy will occupy this spot and it will slowly build into a recon airbase. Jakes will be here at first. These little units could get crushed by 4Es but for now it should be useful I can always airlift them out if there is trouble.

China: At Chihkiang 2 more P-40s are destroyed and 22 listed damaged in today's attacks. These raids also get over 80 runway hits, 24 supply hits and around 30 service hits. It will be are to defend here I'm thinking. The Chinese still have 3 big Corps out in front of the base. The stacks on either side of the road junction, both river crossings, have around 160,000 troops each. I'm guessing around 2,500 AV in good defensive territory. This could be the biggest battle of the war to date as our army is bringing in 6,000 AV. I'm a bit worried about massive losses. But it has to happen.

I'm toying with the idea of crossing with around half of the force to get something there and limit disablements to those units in the first crossing, then walking the rest over and having a fresh army to finish them off. Or is it better to risk the whole lot and aim for a 2 to 1?

DEI: A few supply TFs are running down here from Tokyo to Soerabaja and Singapore to begin increasing the HI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2012 3:20:53 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 442
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 3:21:07 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This is a Pax special method. I listened during his explanation in Mike Solli's AAR . He outlined that you have to start early and commit to the change, and shift CS routes over time to stop using Port Arthur.

Not sure how special a method this is, but thanks for the "honourable mention".

I actually start from Fusan and never pull any resources from Asia except via Fusan. By the time I get Fusan to lvl 8, I am able to easily ship the resources I need to balance the HI along with Hokkaido. Note, this only works with the latest patch. A key is to never, ever not have a convoy loading resources at Fusan. To make this easy, I simply use a lot of small CS convoys. 2 - 4 ships per TF. They load and move and are always in motion. Simple.

Nav Support does not help with loading resources (unfortunately). Just port size and whether there is any resource production at that base. Fusan has a small resource (20 I think) to help a little.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 443
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 3:51:00 PM   
obvert

6 June 1942

subs: RO-60 just completely misses with two shots at xAK Examiner near Sydney. Odd that I've had so many clear misses from subs, and this time no escorts are listed in the report. How about another shot or two, eh?

West Australia: Fast transport TFs are gathering SW of Carnarvon to meet up with the Mini-KB and swing through to Esperance. Recon is scheduled to fly there in the form of 34 Bettys with high experience pilots, so hopefully the information will be good enough to make a call here. Tanks are likely 1 to 2 days out of Carnarvon. I think the Allies are expecting a landing at Geraldton, as there are the tanks there and 54 fighters plus now 41 bombers listed at Perth. The recon also shows 38 auxiliary aircraft. That's a lot. What are those? Can't be all Cats, unless a lot of US groups are here. Other types in a damaged state?

Only one group of Bettys can fly at Carnarvon without going into the red at the level 3 base. It should go to level 4 within the week. Then we go. In the meantime some sweeps will begin to whittle down defenses over Perth.

I wonder if we'll find any P-38s there? I haven't seen any to date, so there must be enough of a pool to run one good group in a combat role. That would be an unwelcome surprise here, but it would be my move, so I'll try to prepare as best I can for them. If it's just Kittyhawks, those have next to no replacements, especially after taking at least 30-35 losses in the past few weeks. One week of zero sweeps, regardless of their strength, and air superiority would be ours.

So Pac: Mornington Is. is captured.

Also, the blip, most likely the Allied CVs, has shown up again between Norfolk Is. and the W coast of NZ. It could be moving to base in Aukland or Wellington. Looks like they didn't move on to OZ, which is a good thing.

China: At Chihkiang 4 P-40 destroyed, 13 damaged. The IJA stack has moved to within one hex of the units on the fork in the road in front of Chihkiang. He'll know what is coming more or less now I think. We'll see if that changes anything. All ground units within a week's movement range of the base were bombed yesterday to inhibit movement should they be looking to reinforce. I think these 3 units at the crossing will move to one side or the other. Our troops will probably go the direction they do not.

Just past Hami the CAF came out of hiding and hit our tanks using 18 SB-III. They did well, disabling 11 and destroying 1, but in a DA the Chinese force here was still pushed back after a 10 to 1 attack. The tanks will now pull back and an AF Coy will be flown in to Hami with an Oscar group to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 81,16 (near Hami)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1751 troops, 4 guns, 185 vehicles, Assault Value = 105

Defending force 2086 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Japanese adjusted assault: 91

Allied adjusted defense: 9

Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
1042 casualties reported
Squads: 71 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 31 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
20th Recon Regiment
15th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
9th Separate Brigade
21st Chinese Base Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PI: The garrison for Manila is 2 days away. Then the brigade will go to Singers to prep and await amphib and combat forces for a run to Diego Garcia. A group of Jakes on an AV is scouting Diego starting tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2012 4:12:58 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 444
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 4:13:31 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Nav Support does not help with loading resources (unfortunately). Just port size and whether there is any resource production at that base. Fusan has a small resource (20 I think) to help a little.

I did not know this! It does help with fuel and oil though, right? It sure seems to when I get the HQ to Palembang.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 445
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 4:32:26 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

quote:

Not sure how special a method this is, but thanks for the "honourable mention".

I actually start from Fusan and never pull any resources from Asia except via Fusan. By the time I get Fusan to lvl 8, I am able to easily ship the resources I need to balance the HI along with Hokkaido. Note, this only works with the latest patch. A key is to never, ever not have a convoy loading resources at Fusan. To make this easy, I simply use a lot of small CS convoys. 2 - 4 ships per TF. They load and move and are always in motion. Simple.

I did something similiar in my game as well. Used Port Arthur early in the game only for resource extraction, I never touched the oil or fuel. All the while I was building Fusan up to level eight. Soon Port Arthur wasn't able to stockpile resources, but Keijo and Fusan were. Now Keijo only keeps a 30k+ surplus of resources on occasion and everything else goes to Fusan. I suck Fusan dry of resources, but every week or so another 100k+ or resources arrives to then be shipped to the Home Islands. I will start tracking the interval of the resources arriving at fusan for you obvert.

I also have just a couple of small tankers at Fusan which loads up about 10k of fuel for the Home Islands. I have to watch this closely as it's easy to pull it out too quickly and then stocks at Keijo and Port Arthur go down too much and other HI producing bases in China/Manchuria don't get their fuel allotments. I have no problem drawing these small amounts of fuel for transport to Japan proper on a regular basis. I will also start tracking the exact amount and interval of fuel drawing to Fusan.

I envy your vehicle point pool. I'm producing over 1100+ daily as well, but can't get my pools above 3000. I have no idea why and there hasn't been that much combat of my armour units so I just don't know where the vehicle points are going.

I do still have over 4 million fuel though in Feb. 43. Oil is a problem though at less than a million, so I'm beginning to panic. Oil is my number one priority to get excess back to Japan.

I love the economy and production side of Japan though, and it's still the major draw for me to play them.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 3/20/2012 4:39:45 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 446
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 9:53:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

I suck Fusan dry of resources, but every week or so another 100k+ or resources arrives to then be shipped to the Home Islands. I will start tracking the interval of the resources arriving at fusan for you obvert.

I have no problem drawing these small amounts of fuel for transport to Japan proper on a regular basis. I will also start tracking the exact amount and interval of fuel drawing to Fusan.

That's great. Thanks. Very interested to see from your game where it's been going for so much longer.
quote:

I envy your vehicle point pool. I'm producing over 1100+ daily as well, but can't get my pools above 3000. I have no idea why and there hasn't been that much combat of my armour units so I just don't know where the vehicle points are going.

I guess they're used for any kind of motorized support as well as armor. So it could be those keeping your pools low if you've had lots of actions lately.
quote:

I do still have over 4 million fuel though in Feb. 43. Oil is a problem though at less than a million, so I'm beginning to panic. Oil is my number one priority to get excess back to Japan.

I love the economy and production side of Japan though, and it's still the major draw for me to play them.

It is what makes it so fun to play this side. The challenge and the ability to control slightly more.

So I was wondering about the oil situation. Refinery rate must just always outstrip the amount of oil, no matter what you do. So toward the end the HI refineries might not be working at full capacity it seems. That's I suppose why it's so important to keep the DEI until late in the game.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 447
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 10:51:16 PM   
obvert

7 June 1942

subs: RO-65 finds a TF with and xAP, but gets attacked and hit 3 times, not seriously, by DD Downes. Similarly, I-7 is found and hit twice (one penetrating) by the DDs. Both are limping back for repairs.

Spearfish is found by the ASW TF following the Mini near Carnarvon, but no hits are close enough to cause damage. O-23 sinks an ACM here as well. More ASW will begin roaming around just around the base.

West Australia: Esperance looks to have only 1 unit. Not sure if this is accurate, but the mission will go forth on this theory regardless. The Bettys will back off and recon another spot for a few days, then come back here for another look.

Recon also shows 52 more fighters and another 45 bombers in Kalgoorlie. Why are they there? Maybe on the way to Perth. Is he going all-in for this corner of OZ? 2 groups of Rufes and another zero group will fly in within a week. Defending ships unloading and troops moving will be critical.

So Pac: The small Coy on Mornington Is. will now resume dot base clean-up. It'll take Groot Eylendt and other dots nearby on the way back to the DEI.

China: Looks like the troops to the north of Chihkiang are the weaker force with only 120,000 right now. This might be the better direction to try. Near Hami 14 SB-III come back and bomb our armor. They are turning around and air support plus 12 Oscars will fly in. This will take about a week.

At Mengtze the Chinese troops are pushed into the wilds and lose a third of their strength again. The IJA will not follow them into the mountains and if they come back to haunt us so be it. These IJA units will move back into Kunming to rest up. Supply is slowly building there but all it seems from local industry, not up from Burma. I'm about due for a load of supply to head to Rangoon.

Ground combat at Mengtze (68,50)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 13624 troops, 120 guns, 213 vehicles, Assault Value = 512

Defending force 6714 troops, 15 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 147

Japanese adjusted assault: 137

Allied adjusted defense: 40

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Mengtze !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2208 casualties reported
Squads: 113 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 82 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
14th Tank Regiment
33rd Division
6th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
5th Chinese Corps
NCAC
16th Chinese Base Force

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEI: Divisions are loading in anticipation of having a closer port to Perth for their unloading, either in Esperance or in Geraldton.

Burma: Lots of nothing is happening here just now. Just building up bases and monitoring supply. There are about 15,000 Allied troops in Akyab now. Recon alternates between that base, cox's Bazaar and Chittagong which is a major fighter base. Imphal is also built up to a level 6 and holds around 3 British fighter groups judging by recon. Every week or so I 'scout' the forest by aiming a bomber group at every hex I can't see to find out if there is a unit sneaking over to hit any of our lightly held bases in Burma. Within 2 months I'd like to have 3 divisions here, and another 3 before '43 rolls around. This is in addition to the 2 holding the mountain passes at Kunming.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/21/2012 11:12:59 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 448
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/20/2012 11:04:36 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

All of the is from reading Mike Solli's AAR just as I was beginning the game. Good timing. He of course figures out the exact amount needed and calculates the ships to run that amount. I just run as much as I can.

I confess to reading 2 IJ AARs, of course Mikes is one. I gather more intel from his AAR on IJ logistics and capabilities, I almost feel guilty.

Note: I'm reading backwards here; while dissapointed Mike will have to delay his war its nice to find another from the dark side.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 3/21/2012 2:21:54 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 449
RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) - 3/21/2012 9:17:28 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

quote:

I confess to reading 2 IJ AARs, of course Mikes is one. I gather more intel from his AAR on IJ logistics and capabilities, I almost feel guilty.

Note: I'm reading backwards here; while dissapointed Mike will have to delay his war its nice to find another from the dark side.

I'm certainly missing Mike's AAR lately as well! But I think he's up to some more important logistics right now.

Thanks for the interest and I hope you learn enough that you just get intrigued and try out the other side one day. But even if you don't you'r always welcome and can add info on Allied capabilities any time. It is fun to play the IJ, and difficult to get a handle on, but worth it at least right now. I might not be so cheerful in two years game time, but that's the price I've got to pay I guess.

I stop by and look into quite a few Allied AARs, not so much to get info, but to learn about strategy and tactics. There are so many good Allied players that mutually support each other, and the discussions are always entertaining. I wish there were a few more willing to get involved on the Japanese side right now.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wild Sheep's Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI