Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving artillery?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Moving artillery? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving artillery? - 3/23/2012 12:48:33 PM   
Biffa

Currently working on a small Campaign around the 2200 of 16th Panzer who escaped the carnage at Stalingrad, this is a fast moving (running) set of scenarios only problem is Artillery... I seem to remember this being discussed years ago and I wondered if somebody has managed to create a mod that allows Arty to be towed?

Really the whole concepts falls flat if at each scenario they have to leave their guns behind, I may have missed it somewhere and since I didn't read the manual there may be a way to do it as it is, don't know can't find anything. If it's not possible then it does nerf our atempts at realism a bit.
Post #: 1
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/23/2012 2:12:08 PM   
junk2drive

No guns can be towed or transported.

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/23/2012 4:08:33 PM   
rickier65

In the latest patch, small (37 and 45mm) AT guns can be move. Some of the Larger Inf guns can also move.

Rick

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/24/2012 12:30:04 AM   
Biffa

I'll check it out, hoping its not crew moving them by hand and more 'moved' i.e. towed behind a truck or half-track. I'll do another test, thanks for the reply.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/24/2012 12:56:44 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: SAF_Biffa

I'll check it out, hoping its not crew moving them by hand and more 'moved' i.e. towed behind a truck or half-track. I'll do another test, thanks for the reply.

I hate to 'dash' your hopes, but no, as junk2drive said, the guns aren't towable yet.

sorry
Rick

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/24/2012 4:53:16 PM   
Mobius

Someone could make a model that included a truck or half-track with a gun behind it. Then you could drive it around the map. To what end I don't know as there's no way to score anything it did. You can't get points for moving something off map.

If you wanted to somehow show guns retreating from battle to battle in a campaign just include the same unit as a core unit in each battle. Have them placed on the map. If you lose them then that unit will be whittled down the following battle.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/25/2012 12:28:44 PM   
Biffa

Well to be more specific:

The idea of the campaign was a fighting retreat the German flag objectives would be the road exits, sometimes getting off the map with as many units as possible is a victory in itself. Being able to redeploy field artillery would be cruicial tactic to cover retreating forces but if they were still left down at the initial deployment they would probably be destroyed which is neither realistic or tactically sound.

Not having redeployable field artillery misses out on half of their tactical usefulness and it's amazing it's still not included after all this time, especially when so many people have worked so hard to make the challenges of each battle as realistic as possible, it's like having trucks that can't be used for anything...

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving artillery? - 3/25/2012 12:55:07 PM   
Biffa

"The Germans usually organize covering forces from troops in closest contact with the enemy - either whole tactical units or elements from several. These forces attempt to make the enemy believe that the position is still fully occupied. Engineers prepare additional obstacles, minefields, and booby traps forward of and within the positions to be held. A portion of the artillery and heavy infantry weapons support the covering forces. They maintain as long as possible their former fire activity to deceive the enemy, even when fulfillment of their mission means the loss of individual guns. The sector assigned to a covering force is usually too wide to be under effective control of a single commander, but the actions of the various commanders are closely coordinated. Orders specify whether the covering forces are to remain in contact with the hostile forces until they begin to advance, or to follow the main body after a specified interval."

Source: U.S. War Department "Handbook On German Military Forces" (Mar'45) Officially released from restricted status by the U.S. Army Center For Military History.

Link

< Message edited by SAF_Biffa -- 3/25/2012 12:57:22 PM >

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Moving artillery? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI