Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How long for an AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: How long for an AI? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/23/2012 9:38:48 PM   
paulderynck

Brigadier General James M. Gavin: Is it still raining?
Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort: On and off. Off and on. Sometimes I wonder which side God's on.

(later)

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: [in German] This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/23/2012 9:52:21 PM >

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 31
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/23/2012 10:16:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

Warspite1

I think that is a topic for the another thread; this thread - as the name suggests - is to be used only by schmucks who want to quote from war films

Here is a quote from a war film for you.

"I said to him, "Sir, give me one division and I will take that hill." And he said nothing. He just stood there, he stared at me. I said, "General Ewell, give me one brigade and I will take that hill." I was becoming disturbed, sir. And General Ewell put his arms behind him and blinked. So I said, General, give me one regiment and I will take that hill." And he said nothing! He just stood there! I threw down my sword, down on the ground in front of him!"

"We... we could've done it, sir. A blind man should've seen it. Now they're working up there. You can hear the axes of the Federal troops. And so in the morning... many a good boy will die... taking that hill."

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/23/2012 10:24:11 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Brigadier General James M. Gavin: Is it still raining?
Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort: On and off. Off and on. Sometimes I wonder which side God's on.

(later)

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: [in German] This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.

It sounds better in German...

However: the best phrase in the movie (together with the look of the French actors face) after the destruction of a telephone line: "Ca Marche...".

And there is of course the scene of Rommel on the phone in his home in Stuttgart on his wifes birthday:
"Ahh: Gutenmorgen ... Was... WAS!... WO!...

Peter

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 33
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/23/2012 11:22:07 PM   
warspite1

Waterloo [referring to the English troops]
Duchess of Richmond: They're the salt of England, Arthur.
Duke of Wellington: Scum. Nothing but beggars and scoundrels, all of them. Gin is the spirit of their patriotism.
Duchess of Richmond: Yet you expect them to die for you?
Duke of Wellington: Um-hum.
Duchess of Richmond: Out of duty?
Duke of Wellington: Um-hum.
Duchess of Richmond: I doubt if even Bonaparte could draw men to him by duty.
Duke of Wellington: Oh, Boney's not a gentleman.
Duchess of Richmond: Arthur! What an Englishman you are.
Duke of Wellington: On the field of battle his hat is worth fifty thousand men; but he is not a gentleman.

Duke of Wellington

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 34
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 12:57:59 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Warspite1

I think that is a topic for the another thread; this thread - as the name suggests - is to be used only by schmucks who want to quote from war films

"I said to him, "Sir, give me one division and I will take that hill." And he said nothing. He just stood there, he stared at me. I said, "General Ewell, give me one brigade and I will take that hill." I was becoming disturbed, sir. And General Ewell put his arms behind him and blinked. So I said, General, give me one regiment and I will take that hill." And he said nothing! He just stood there! I threw down my sword, down on the ground in front of him!"

"We... we could've done it, sir. A blind man should've seen it. Now they're working up there. You can hear the axes of the Federal troops. And so in the morning... many a good boy will die... taking that hill."

Gettysburg. Spoken by General John B. Gordon, if memory serves.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 35
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 8:27:28 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

It is indeed from the movie Gettysburg but it was spoken by General Isaac Trimble.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 36
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 5:04:44 PM   
bo

The most impressive feeling I get on these forums is that posters never get off topic this topic started by vonRocko was about hmmmm it was so long ago I forgot what it was about .

Bo

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 37
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 7:35:31 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

It is indeed from the movie Gettysburg but it was spoken by General Isaac Trimble.

One of my all-time favorite movies. Whenever I quote Robert E. Lee my sister just laughs. Can you recall how he delivers these lines?

"Meade will be cautious I think... taking some time to get organized. Perhaps we should move more swiftly. There may be an opportunity here."

Spoken with such softness. I dunno, I find it to be amusing.

Oh yeah... also... "Hold to the last... the last what?" HA!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 38
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 8:19:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

The most impressive feeling I get on these forums is that posters never get off topic this topic started by vonRocko was about hmmmm it was so long ago I forgot what it was about .

Bo
Warspite1

That is correct bo, we pride ourselves on staying on topic on this thread. Now you Schumuck, do you have a war film quote to share with us or not?

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 39
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 9:40:43 PM   
ezzler

"Has anybody seen my regiment?"

{and yes, Bo is right -should move this onto its own thread}

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 9:48:21 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Bo
Warspite1

That is correct bo, we pride ourselves on staying on topic on this thread. Now you Schumuck, do you have a war film quote to share with us or not?

Well now that you asked warspite1 yes I do, it's Casablanca. "Why are you closing me down." Shocked, just shocked that there is gambling going on here. "Here are your winnings sir" thank you. What really annoys me is how did you know I was a Schumuck, have you been talking to my wife

Bo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 41
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/24/2012 9:58:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo
Warspite1

Well now that you asked warspite1 yes I do, it's Casablanca. "Why are you closing me down." Shocked, just shocked that there is gambling going on here. "Here are your winnings sir" thank you. What really annoys me is how did you know I was a Schumuck, have you been talking to my wife

Bo
Warspite1

No, it was CrusssDaddy that told me - post 24.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 42
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 1:19:30 AM   
bo

Actually warspite1 it was post 23 do you get anything right Good lord how did I miss that post. Good to see old Crussdaddy hanging around we must be getting close and I guaranantee you he will be the first to buy. And him calling me a schmuck does not bother me in the least because he is probably right about that I left his camp a few months ago.

Bo

Post #: 43
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 6:44:00 AM   
paulderynck

Major Clipton: Madness! Madness!

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 44
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 7:17:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Actually warspite1 it was post 23 do you get anything right Good lord how did I miss that post. Good to see old Crussdaddy hanging around we must be getting close and I guaranantee you he will be the first to buy. And him calling me a schmuck does not bother me in the least because he is probably right about that I left his camp a few months ago.

Bo
Warspite1

Er bo, its post 24.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 45
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 1:37:44 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

The most impressive feeling I get on these forums is that posters never get off topic this topic started by vonRocko was about hmmmm it was so long ago I forgot what it was about.

I find the lack of faith [in a challenging AI] disturbing.

Seriously, the game needs to have AI and it will have AI and there will be much rejoycing when players finally get the game and it has even a halfway decent computer opponent. There's just no point in the naysayers continuing to waste their time naysaying. Are solo players simply going to give up when the German AI bombs Pearl Harbor? Hell No!

Post #: 46
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 7:01:12 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Bo
Warspite1

Er bo, its post 24.

Er warspite your right, sorry I don't get anything right If I can't even get a post number right how am I going to see a map right to move those extra corps you are going to give me to balance play.

Bo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/25/2012 10:38:39 PM   
ACMW

I don't care about the AI. Some mates and I have been getting together for a week a year since 1990 to play WiF. We'd like to do so electronically (as well!). I continue to monitor progress on these sites (since about 2006) and comment every two years or so. Mostly variations on the above theme. I will buy this damned game as soon as it comes out. AI or not. Preferably not.

Oh and to prove my credentials in schmuckery:

'Snorkers! Good Oh!'

Great WWII war film. But perhaps obscure. Warspite?

The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons. (Emerson)

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 48
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/26/2012 2:22:33 PM   
Edfactor

Ha ha ACMW gets back on target with this thread. Honestly I'm on the fence.

(in reply to ACMW)
Post #: 49
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/26/2012 7:32:00 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

I find the lack of faith [in a challenging AI] disturbing.

inspired from Darth Vador in Star Wars epidose IV : A new hope.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing".

< Message edited by micheljq -- 3/26/2012 7:33:05 PM >

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 50
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/26/2012 9:16:26 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: ACMW
I don't care about the AI. Some mates and I have been getting together for a week a year since 1990 to play WiF. We'd like to do so electronically (as well!). I continue to monitor progress on these sites (since about 2006) and comment every two years or so. Mostly variations on the above theme. I will buy this damned game as soon as it comes out. AI or not. Preferably not.

Oh and to prove my credentials in schmuckery:

'Snorkers! Good Oh!'

Great WWII war film. But perhaps obscure. Warspite?

The Cruel Sea, one of the best.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to ACMW)
Post #: 51
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/26/2012 11:01:42 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

Ah, well, for what it's worth... From one of my favourite movies:

"A lady who sets her heart upon a lad in uniform must prepare to change lovers pretty quickly, or her life will be but a sad one. This heart of Lischen's was like many a neighboring town and had been stormed and occupied several times..."

From the same movie:

"You are a liar! You are an impostor. You are a deserter. I suspected you this morning, and your lies and folly have confirmed this to me. You pretend to carry dispatches to a British general who has been dead these ten months. You say your uncle is the British Ambassador in Berlin, with the ridiculous name of O'Grady. Now, will you join and take the bounty that is on your head sir, or will you be given up?"

"I volunteer"

Interesting trivia: both actors involved in the above exchange appeared in another movie not unknown to these boards

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 52
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/27/2012 11:49:15 PM   
Taxman66

“I hate Illinois Nazis.”

Admittedly a bit tangential.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 53
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/27/2012 11:56:45 PM   
Taxman66

I got one from a war movie (snicker) see if you can figure this one out:

"How can a man take a bowel movement with a hundred buffalo rifles a-pointin' at him?"

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 54
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/28/2012 2:14:21 AM   
yesman68

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Kelly's Heroes isn't factual!?!?! I home schooled myself on all these movies and now you are telling me they ain't right?! My diploma is worthless now....

Well its based on fact,

There was a WW2.

Well said sir!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 55
RE: How long for an AI? - 3/28/2012 6:20:26 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

“I hate Illinois Nazis.”

Admittedly a bit tangential.

"Gruppenführer: get that cars licenseplate!"

Peter

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 56
RE: How long for an AI? - 4/3/2012 7:31:04 PM   
MajorDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Ah, well, for what it's worth... From one of my favourite movies:

"A lady who sets her heart upon a lad in uniform must prepare to change lovers pretty quickly, or her life will be but a sad one. This heart of Lischen's was like many a neighboring town and had been stormed and occupied several times..."

From the same movie:

"You are a liar! You are an impostor. You are a deserter. I suspected you this morning, and your lies and folly have confirmed this to me. You pretend to carry dispatches to a British general who has been dead these ten months. You say your uncle is the British Ambassador in Berlin, with the ridiculous name of O'Grady. Now, will you join and take the bounty that is on your head sir, or will you be given up?"

"I volunteer"

Interesting trivia: both actors involved in the above exchange appeared in another movie not unknown to these boards

Ryan O'Neal - "Barry Lyndon".

Or maybe you weren't looking for an answer...

The other film is "A Bridge Too Far"?

< Message edited by MajorDude -- 4/3/2012 7:34:24 PM >

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 57
RE: How long for an AI? - 4/19/2012 7:37:55 PM   
shunwick

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to MajorDude)
Post #: 58
RE: How long for an AI? - 4/30/2012 6:36:47 PM   
wodin

As someone who never plays PBEM games due to commitment issues I'm not concerned this game doesn't have an AI. Even if it had one I still wouldn't buy it. Reason being games this complex just don't have decent AI's. I'm not sure you'd sell more even if an AI was made.

The buyers for this are WiF boardgame players who want to play online with all the rules automated.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 59
RE: How long for an AI? - 4/30/2012 6:47:24 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I guess count me as the person who will not buy without an AI. Only an AI has the patience to teach a complete noob the ins and outs.

I really thought this might be the game to finally get me into WiF, but without an AI I will have to stay away.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: How long for an AI? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI