Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Routed units noob question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Routed units noob question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Routed units noob question - 3/29/2012 4:23:56 PM   
Kong Gulerod

Hi all,

Just started playing again after I bought the game when it came out. I saw there where numorous updates and thought I would give it another go. I have done a few smaller scenarios, and it has spawned a few questions.

1. Which is best as german in June/July 41. Rout units or encircle unit and rout them next turn?
I have the feeling that when I rout enemy units, they just "get send away to fight another day" so to speak. Is it just me?

2. When a enemy unit has been routed, and is sent to some town behind the enemy lines, and you encounter them again. WHat is best. Rout them again, or overrun them?

I hope you can answer, and that I am not to noob. :-)

/Kong

When in doubt: Attack! Attack! Attack!
Post #: 1
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/29/2012 9:48:31 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Personally I like to encircle and destroy. Some however I've seen like to rout because it destroys TOE and keeps the same division at low morale. If they are encircled and killed they can rebuild behind the lines and be far more fearsome later on because of higher morale. I think this game is largely about morale. Test and see I guess.

(in reply to Kong Gulerod)
Post #: 2
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/29/2012 10:16:22 PM   
AFV

See  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3054670&mpage=1&key=rout&#3056245

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 3
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/30/2012 4:13:49 PM   
Kong Gulerod

Thank you both very much. Great link

When in doubt: Attack! Attack! Attack!

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 4
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/30/2012 11:28:52 PM   
usersatch

Once I learned this "trick" (waiting an extra turn for surrender), I noticed two things...first, sometimes I can get units to surrender only when they surrounded by the enemy in a closed circle (all adjacent hexes occupied) and other times I can get units to surrunder when every other hex is occupied, a "dashed" closed circle of sorts. Is there a rule of thumb on when/how each scenario occurs?

(in reply to Kong Gulerod)
Post #: 5
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/30/2012 11:34:55 PM   
sillyflower

They surrender rather than rout as long as they were isolated at start of German turn

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 6
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/31/2012 5:09:24 AM   
randallw

A rebuilt unit may start with morale higher than it's dead predecessor, but the experience level will start at a low number, not much different from the dead unit.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 7
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/31/2012 5:13:22 AM   
Farfarer61

Don't let either surrender or rout opportunities distract you from your strategic and operational objectives. Same for HQ and airbase displacing. Never waste an Axis MP. If you are going to rout rout rout and push forward do it. If you are going to do huge pockets, do it. If you are going going for ARM and POP kills do it. BTW, I always get distracted :)

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 8
RE: Routed units noob question - 3/31/2012 2:50:11 PM   
Zonso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

Don't let either surrender or rout opportunities distract you from your strategic and operational objectives. Same for HQ and airbase displacing. Never waste an Axis MP. If you are going to rout rout rout and push forward do it. If you are going to do huge pockets, do it. If you are going going for ARM and POP kills do it. BTW, I always get distracted :)

Good advice! I find myself getting caught up in little opportunities as they present themselves and losing sight of the big picture occasionally, or maybe regularly! :) I think though getting pockets and surrenders will serve you better in the long run.

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 9
RE: Routed units noob question - 4/2/2012 7:38:04 AM   
Gertrude73

Thank you both very much. Great link

(in reply to Zonso)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Routed units noob question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI