Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Team Assault: Baptism of Fire >> First impressions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First impressions - 3/30/2012 11:15:34 AM   
gunnergoz

1. Odd display choices. Basically I cannot play the game at my native 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have to play it in a reduced window that is only about 2/3 of my screen. Oh, I can "stretch" it to fit my screen, but everybody then gets squashed and looks like a midget. Pretty annoying - not a game breaker, but why are not other graphics formats supported?

2. UI takes some getting used to. Never seen one like this and it is not exactly intuitive, but I guess I'll learn how to use it with time.

3. Groggy complaints: Historical details. So far, noticed that:
- The M-3 Grease Gun is said to fire 9mm. Actually it was .45 ACP, same as in the M1911 Colt pistol.
- There is no M-1 Carbine - a big lapse, if you ask me. It was far more common than the M-3 Grease Gun, particularly in the Italian campaign, which the game is supposed to represent.
- The M-1 Garand and the M1918 BAR fire the exact same 30-06 round, as does the M1917 Browning LMG. However, the three guns all have different lethality ratings for some reason. AFAIK the round on target effect is the same for the three, though admittedly they all differ in ROF, effective range, etc.
- Some of the pre-set unit choices are off if you ask me, e.g. "Darbys Rangers" are said to be airborne, which they most definitely were not. That impacts how the unit is delivered to the battlefield in the game - guys wearing airborne gear are parachuted as a team onto the playing area. Neat, but not for the Rangers. I have to explore this a bit more to see what all the differences are between the various offerings, but that one stuck in my mind.
- The Unit Builder has potential, I'll say that. They just need more variety in the offerings (weapons, uniforms, etc.)
- The ranks displayed for US troops are off. A 2nd Lieutenant is given a Master Sergeant's stripes, for instance, while a Sergeant (three chevrons) is listed as a "2nd Sergeant." The historical rank of Fist Sergeant (3 chevrons and one rocker) is described as "Sergeant." I find these sort of basic mistakes galling, given the ease with which the historical ranks and titles can be looked up with no real effort.

Clearly no one consulted a WW2 US Army buff or else these silly mistakes would not have been in the final release. I assume they can be cleared up in patches, but still...

That's just from 10 minutes of fooling with it so admittedly I've barely scratched the surface. I'm going to stick with it and learn the game well, but I have to say that I'm disappointed in particular with the screen resolution limitations. Maybe they can sort that out in a future release, but I doubt it can be addressed in a patch.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
Post #: 1
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 11:25:42 AM   
tessm

Hi Gunner Goz!

There is a config.cfg located in My Documents/My Games/Team Assault/. You could try setting your native resolution by hand! Just open that file with Notepad/Wordpad.

fullscreen=true
width=1920
height=1080

Hope this helps, cheers!

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 2
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 11:35:34 AM   
alejes0202

I'm playing at 1920x1080. When I go into options, it's one of the choices.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 3
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 3:27:52 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Basic ranks messed up, thats a no-nomaybe they'll fix them in the patch. Giving a 2nd LT., MSG stripes.....big mistake. Attention to detail and historical followup.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 3/30/2012 3:41:03 PM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to alejes0202)
Post #: 4
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 3:29:45 PM   
FroBodine

quote:

2. UI takes some getting used to. Never seen one like this and it is not exactly intuitive, but I guess I'll learn how to use it with time.

What is it about the UI that is odd? I am getting close to purchasing this game, but would love to hear some feedback on the UI, and why people are having issues with it.

Thanks!

(in reply to tessm)
Post #: 5
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 3:43:01 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Now I am on the fence. Started to buy it but the Rank mistakes really bug me.....I am wondering how tuned the rest of the game is. Thanks for your feed back-it helped.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 6
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 4:25:29 PM   
nomet

This is a good video to watch if you wonder how the game works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gUBs0wMCw&context=C49ce157ADvjVQa1PpcFOa3NcqzA_tHco3lyGiNkNZBaKCzxB9964=

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 7
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 6:59:18 PM   
FroBodine

I have watched that. The UI seems pretty simple by watching that video. That's why I wonder what people are having issues with.

(in reply to nomet)
Post #: 8
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 7:15:26 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I think I may get it once the map editor is out.....and depending if any really negitive feedback comes out.  I want to get it, but I have enough games sitting on my self that are unplayed. 

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 9
RE: First impressions - 3/30/2012 8:58:51 PM   
Alan Sharif

Looks interesting. I shall await more feedback from my fellow gamers.

A Sharif

Post #: 10
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 4:15:10 AM   
gunnergoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: alejes02

I'm playing at 1920x1080. When I go into options, it's one of the choices.

Actually, it does not show up as one of the options on mine - that is why I mentioned it. Tessem has given me the information that I need to correctly display the game, but it is still a bug that the game did not detect my settings and offer a resolution to match.

...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to alejes0202)
Post #: 11
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 4:20:11 AM   
gunnergoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I have watched that. The UI seems pretty simple by watching that video. That's why I wonder what people are having issues with.

I suppose my problems stem from the fact that I have gotten spoiled by games with many tooltips that show up to explain what this is and when that needs to be done. The fact that the only manual is a web site is also a factor, since I'm used to perusing PDF files in my Nook while I play. It could also be that I'll be more comfortable with more use of the UI but my immediate initial impression (even after watching the video tutorials) was "WTF do I do next?" Maybe been playing too much Combat Mission? (ducks and runs for cover) :)

-Old Russian saying

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 12
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 4:33:56 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Can units enter building?

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 13
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 6:01:25 PM   
tjfox1

No units can't enter buildings or move over fences. Neither can units defensive fire at moving units, at least they don't for me. A moving unit can advance right next to a unit and then shoot it up without being shot at, not very realistic. I think I wasted my money, at least it's only $20.

Post #: 14
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 6:21:31 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Is it the same with anyone else on defensive fire....or is there a command that has to be given? Anyone with the same effect as tjfox1?
quote:

ORIGINAL: tjfox1

No units can't enter buildings or move over fences. Neither can units defensive fire at moving units, at least they don't for me. A moving unit can advance right next to a unit and then shoot it up without being shot at, not very realistic. I think I wasted my money, at least it's only $20.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 3/31/2012 6:22:23 PM >

(in reply to tjfox1)
Post #: 15
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 7:50:03 PM   
DBeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Is it the same with anyone else on defensive fire....or is there a command that has to be given? Anyone with the same effect as tjfox1?
quote:

quote:

right next to a unit and then shoot it up without being shot at, not very realistic. I think I wasted my money, at least it's only $20.

There is no defensive fire. That along with no entering buildings or moving over obstacles means no buy for me.

Post #: 16
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 9:41:23 PM   
Alan Sharif

Same here, that sounds pretty poor and means any claims to realism are ill founded.

A Sharif

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 17
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 9:46:58 PM   
mbar

quote:

Neither can units defensive fire at moving units, at least they don't for me. A moving unit can advance right next to a unit and then shoot it up without being shot at, not very realistic.

I have to admit my frustration with initiative. I'm not getting it. I move units into place, they see nothing. Then the enemy units run into view and start shooting up my guys. So far it seems like the enemies take about ten turns then I finally get to do something to respond to their movement and their attack.

< Message edited by mbar -- 3/31/2012 9:47:37 PM >

(in reply to tjfox1)
Post #: 18
RE: First impressions - 3/31/2012 10:32:39 PM   
mbar

Okay. I need to pay attention to my destination making sure I have white or blue so that I have an action point left over to use.

I'm getting there.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 19
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 3:48:28 AM   
gunnergoz

I'm sure not getting this UI or the game's command sequence. I try to move, then save points for action but then get killed before my guys can react. I do kill bunches of enemy but then others flank me (nice!) Regardless, I can't quite get how the game phases. All I'm seeing is blinking icons in the command bar, which really don't tell me how to work them. I have wounded that need treatment, I select a medic, and then can't do anything with him because he can't move for some reason. I play on small maps with only one team to keep it simple but so far, little satisfaction. Nothing about the game's mechanics is intuitive to me and repeated trials are only frustrating me worse. Maybe if one of the game's designers or playtesters sat down with me and went over a few turns, I'd pick up on what it is I'm not seeing here about the mechanics. This game is like Greek to me. And I've been playing with computer games since the 1980's, go figure.

< Message edited by gunnergoz -- 4/1/2012 3:49:27 AM >

-Old Russian saying

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 20
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 4:53:08 AM   
Rosseau

This game needs a real manual, and coming from Matrix, it should have one. What I did was create a weak enemy team in the force builder so I could go against them to get the lay of the land. But yeah, as far as medics and other details, we need some help here.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 21
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 6:04:46 AM   
Cecilia48

Now I am on the fence.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 22
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 7:05:27 AM   
gunnergoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cecilia48

Now I am on the fence.

I can sympathize, given what sour grapes I've been posting here. If you are not inclined to risk $20, then maybe you should wait. If on the other hand, you are quick to pick up new systems and ideas, stubborn enough to keep at something obscure until it is understood, and simply interested in the period, then by all means give it a try and help the developers out with your support.

I'm not as patient as I used to be about such things, but I do like to give independent developers a chance to stretch their wings. At the same time, I do expect a bit more from a Matrix-backed product and this one is not yet up to the standard I have come to expect from them.

-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Cecilia48)
Post #: 23
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 2:11:44 PM   
Rucker1959

Exactly the same problem here. I cautiously advance my squads to command points, take them over, and then get my guys behind cover to await the enemy -- with saved action points. Then the enemy skips into view and shoots my guys dead without a chance to do anything about it. Very frustrating and I've put this on the shelf until it gets fixed.

Brad Rucker

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 24
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 2:47:24 PM   
LarryP

I'm off the fence now; I'm not buying it.

(in reply to Rucker1959)
Post #: 25
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 4:44:25 PM   
tjfox1

Did a test last night. One of my squads was behind cover with a line of sight to and enemy squad, yes i could have shot at them but i didn't I "saved my action". The enemy squad moved toward me in the open and my squad did nothing, amazingly the enemy squad didn't shoot at me either. The next turn the enemy sqaud moved toward me again and again my squad did nothing. During this entire time my squad did not perform any actions other then "Save Action" and did nothing while an enemy squad moved around in their line of sight for two turns. This "game" is being removed from my hard drive.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 26
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 6:58:06 PM   
DBeves

quote:

Did a test last night. One of my squads was behind cover with a line of sight to and enemy squad, yes i could have shot at them but i didn't I "saved my action". The enemy squad moved toward me in the open and my squad did nothing, amazingly the enemy squad didn't shoot at me either. The next turn the enemy sqaud moved toward me again and again my squad did nothing. During this entire time my squad did not perform any actions other then "Save Action" and did nothing while an enemy squad moved around in their line of sight for two turns. This "game" is being removed from my hard drive.

Say it again - there is NO - reaction fire in the game. you arent not getting something ... its simply not there. The proffered excuse was that it was in the original but removed as it made the game boring. that better than making it worth playing ?

(in reply to tjfox1)
Post #: 27
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 7:09:32 PM   
LarryP

Why would anybody make a game like that? Are you sure this is true?

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 28
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 7:37:02 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: DBeves

quote:

Say it again - there is NO - reaction fire in the game. you arent not getting something ... its simply not there. The proffered excuse was that it was in the original but removed as it made the game boring. that better than making it worth playing ?

But the OP is not stating that HIS units are moving and the enemy is not firing but that the AI is advancing and not firing. He is not describing a reaction fire situation but a simple AI advance and fire situation. Now unless the LOS was in fact not present as the OP thought, then something is whacked.

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 4/1/2012 7:40:11 PM >

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 29
RE: First impressions - 4/1/2012 8:45:47 PM   
JSinx

I don't have this game but....

Looking at the tutorial that is posted in this forum, it seems that if you save your action points you get a "reaction" to an enemy attack instead of an automatic defensive fire. With this "reaction" you can choose to return fire, move, take cover or save your points again.

Like I said I don't have the the game but it seems someone is missing something somewhere, I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z6gUBs0wMCw

around the 8:11 mark.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Team Assault: Baptism of Fire >> First impressions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI