Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing with no pirates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Playing with no pirates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing with no pirates - 3/15/2012 2:14:20 PM   
Jeeves

In my current game I have turned off pirates along with events and space creatures. "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?" Without pirates at the end of game year three I have a reputation of only six, and have never invaded an independent. It looks like my only increases in reputation come from giving money gifts to other empires, which is VERY expensive. Also I have only the gas mines I've built - no free pirate base gas stations. Also I have far fewer ships to scrap for tech and don't get beacons for lost ships and monitoring stations. The only upside is that I don't need much in the way of warships since I am on good terms with all the AI empires.

Has anyone else played with pirates set to "none"?

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Post #: 1
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/15/2012 4:15:09 PM   
scotten_usa

How do you determine your reputation #? I only see "Nasty" or "Admired" or whatever.

I am currently playing as the Dhayut with low pirates/distant and it's pretty tough. Everyone hates me because I'm so big and aggressive. However, the Dread Pirates appeared close to me and destroying their base helped boost my reputation.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/15/2012 7:10:46 PM   
Arcatus

I hate pirates.

But it removes allot of the dynamic and "aliveness" of the galaxy... I kinda miss them when they are not around.

So it turns out I love to hate them.

But: I uncheck "Enable disasters" when I setup victory conditions so the super Pirates and SilverMists is disabled. The super pirates make no sense whatsoever; ("Arr..llright ya scurvy dogs. T' galaxy be in ruins after t' Shakturi war... But let's wait until it be rebuilt before we strike!" )

I would like some more customization there though, because SliverMists are fun...

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/15/2012 8:58:09 PM   
feelotraveller

I'll stick with Paradise thanks. 

I'm surprised you keep the bases; handy yes, but at a high cost.  I prefer for my private sector to pay for my gas mines.  For the upkeep on a single pirate base I can run several more explorers and that usually pays off in a big way even if I have to occasionally buy some fuel.

I try not to abuse pirates though and often keep a few around to harass other empires, and even occasionally pay them to do so.  Buying information off them has always made things too easy and I am glad they bumped the prices severely.  (Now if they could just nobble technology sales...)  I generally only go after them if they are in the way of my expansion. 

Sort of nice, though, when one of the pirate factions you have been growing joins you and presents you with a nice bunch of technological boosts. 

p.s. You can see your reputation as a number if you open up the editor and choose your own empire, I think it is on the leftmost tab.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/15/2012 9:00:33 PM   
Shadow Tiger

I have a 400 star 15/15 galaxy with Pirates set to low. There have been two so far in 5 years. One was 4 sectors away, the other about 12. By the time I did get the lost ship beacon the gorram thing had already been found by another race. Along with the independent colony it was around.

Reputation is pretty much only 1-2, and I've invaded 3 colonies, given a few medium gifts and one big gift. The reputation number is shown in the editor, otherwise I think you need to know what changes it then keep track yourself.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/16/2012 12:32:53 AM   
Jeeves

The reputation I mentioned can be found by using the diplomacy screen. Select the guardians and examine the list of items that affect their opinion of you. In the list will be a figure for reputation. That is the value of six I cited which is low in the respectable range. Most games I've played got me to maximum heroic reputation (about 28) by the fifth year with pirates. The actual reputation value is of course modified by your leader and diplomat's ability in diplomacy. Also it varies from one race to another. I reference my reputation to the guardians since they value reputation more highly than anyone else...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
p.s. It is well into year four of the game now and I have only twelve colonies. To heck with playing without pirates. I'm gonna start another game.

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Shadow Tiger)
Post #: 6
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/16/2012 2:39:51 AM   
Hildegard52

Everyone hates me because I'm so big and aggressive. However, the Dread Pirates appeared close to me and destroying their base helped boost my reputation.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 7
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/18/2012 7:35:44 PM   
tjhkkr

Pirates are a HUGE pain... but I love to have them... and they might be a good way for your admirals to get some battle experience....

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Hildegard52)
Post #: 8
RE: Playing with no pirates - 3/27/2012 7:14:07 PM   
Jerkface

I despise pirates. They stupidly attack well guarded systems, sacrificing themselves just to get a few pop-shots off on a gas station. They also re-spawn much too quickly. If it weren't for the reputation bonus, they'd have no value whatsoever except to slow down your game.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 9
RE: Playing with no pirates - 4/2/2012 8:49:10 AM   
Blueberry

Early on pirates are quite useful. Independents' locations, discovery locations, occasional system maps, attacking enemy without getting involved yourself. Sure, nothing that a player can't handle him/herself and they become a bit annoying late game but having the pirates factor in the galaxy adds some spice to my games. Always on. Besides, there are ways of handling the pirates both early on and later.

(in reply to Jerkface)
Post #: 10
RE: Playing with no pirates - 4/5/2012 5:09:35 PM   
Jerkface

As mentioned, they have their uses in the early game. End game on big maps they are just an annoyance. I end up gas mining every fuel-available gas giant I can find to keep them from respawning. Even on low, they respawn much too quickly.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 11
RE: Playing with no pirates - 4/28/2012 4:06:38 PM   
Kadrush

I love pirates, very usefull stuff which give more life to the galaxy. Legendary pirate factions are specially challenging on early and middle game. My only suggestion is to greatly reduce their bonus by destruction so players cant farm them for tech.

(in reply to Jerkface)
Post #: 12
RE: Playing with no pirates - 4/30/2012 2:11:41 PM   
adecoy95

i always have pirates in my game, set to the max, i find them important because it gives your civilian ships something to worry about. space bugs i just dont like so i have them off ;)

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 4/30/2012 2:12:11 PM >

(in reply to Kadrush)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Playing with no pirates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI