Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anti-aircraft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Anti-aircraft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anti-aircraft - 11/23/2002 9:07:15 AM   
Wolfleader

Fighting as the German army in the Western Front right now which means I'm encountering air strikes to no end. What's the best way of deploying my self propelled flak guns and 88's to protect my forces from airstrikes?
Post #: 1
German AA - 11/23/2002 11:46:01 AM   
stevemk1a

I find when playing as German, that most of my kills vs aircraft are due to the AA machine guns of SPW251 halftracks. When an aircraft flies across a mech company worth of HT's, one of those low odds shots will tag it fairly often, and that will quite often scare it off and it won't be back. Multi barrel small bore AAA seems to be effective also, like the 20mm flakvierling in all it's incarnations, and the SPW251/21 with it's triple heavy MG's. Forget about any heavy AA, it never seems to hit anything! I usually like to sprinkle some trucks near my high value targets because flyboys seem to favour them as targets :) The only thing they like more is ammo trucks ... so protect them. Good luck with the Jabo's:eek:

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 2
- 11/23/2002 12:52:12 PM   
Totenkopf

Is it true that moving your vehicles into trees (or forests) lowers the chance of an aircraft taking them out?

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 3
- 11/23/2002 1:39:44 PM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Totenkopf
[B]Is it true that moving your vehicles into trees (or forests) lowers the chance of an aircraft taking them out? [/B][/QUOTE]

I've experienced that problem when targetting in very heavy forest. Nothing more frustrating than sighting a column of tanks in the forest on your approach and then blindly shooting at the empty hex you drew the airstrike in on.

But willy is right. Surround your vulnerable units with trucks and cheap vehicles (Kubelwagens are ideal for this - and cheap!) This seems to draw the flyboys away from your more valuable units. It's not a 100% solution, but it goes a long ways in preserving your units. :cool:

I also concur with willy about the large caliber AA. They just don't perform well in the close-in arena of SPW@W. HTs with multiple MG shots and MG-armed SPAA seem to be the most effective at hitting and driving off the jabos.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 4
- 11/24/2002 7:09:22 AM   
Toontje

Larger bore FlAK has the advantage of enabling kills. MG's hitting can be insufficient to permanently drive the boogie away.

A lot of smallarm fireing seems to lower hit% when it strikes, after 10 20mm flakviering + infantry SMG's + some 3.7 cm AA I noticed a plane dropping bombs way off target, and not using it's cannon at all.

If I expect airpower on the enemy's side, I try to take a section large callibre AA's, and 1-2 platoons of small callibre. Better safe then sorry, you're royally screwed if suddenly a couple of buzzers MG you without anything usefull to protect yourself. Planes tend to be good bang for the buck.

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 5
- 11/24/2002 11:11:53 PM   
Wolfleader

So far my flak 88's been doing fairly well since they're my most experienced units having fought with my forces since Poland 1939 and being heavily used in engaging both land and air targets until I recieved my PzIVF2's and Tiger tanks in the later part of 1942.

Ironically enough, the Jabos have become more of a hazard for my Wirbelwinds and flaks than on my panzer tanks since they seem to gun for them more than they do my tanks.

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 6
- 11/27/2002 7:42:55 AM   
vahauser

Elite 88s can do serious damage to enemy aircraft. But 88s with less than 100 experience are much less effective than small-caliber AAA. If you can't get elite 88s, then don't use them at all for AAA and use the quad 20mm and the triple 15mm instead.

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 7
- 11/27/2002 10:28:05 AM   
Alexandra

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wolfleader
[B]So far my flak 88's been doing fairly well since they're my most experienced units having fought with my forces since Poland 1939 and being heavily used in engaging both land and air targets until I recieved my PzIVF2's and Tiger tanks in the later part of 1942.

Ironically enough, the Jabos have become more of a hazard for my Wirbelwinds and flaks than on my panzer tanks since they seem to gun for them more than they do my tanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, as well they should :) That's called SEAD or Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses. Look at it this way, if you are the pilot, what are you more interested in killing - the tank that is no threat to you, or the multi barreled flak gun that can kill you? The tank can wait for the next pass is what most pilots would think.

Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Anti-aircraft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI