Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/15/2012 10:18:26 PM   
nate25

Now he's gone for the night. LOL

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 61
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 9:15:31 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

I am sorry that I bailed on your explanation but I realized how late it was and I needed to get up early.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 62
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 9:18:59 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh my GOD,

What is happening TO MY THREAD?!!

Your fault since you didn't want to educate me on baseball and other American oddities.

OK, Orm, lesson #2: In a majority of 9-inning baseball games, you should only use one pitcher or possibly two. A starter and a relief ((closer) as in close the door), if needed.

Yes. I actually got that part. But as I understand it a baseball team has several starter pitchers because the games are so close that they need to rest between the games. What I am asking is why not use all the starter pitchers in each game for around 2 innings? Would they then not be fresh for next game even if the rest between the games is short.

Do remember that I know very little about real baseball since I live in Europe and no baseball here for me to watch. So please be kind to me in my ignorance about baseball.

Wow. I have to admit I'm stymied by parts of that question in all seriousness.

OK. I've never thought of using pitchers like that. That's "outside the box" for me, as an American, partly because "that's just the way it's done." And I think at a pro level, well, any level really, you expect your pitcher to be good for a certain amt. of pitches that day. I see where you're going with that line of reasoning, but I would want 1 or 2 completely fresh pitchers instead of 4-5 at 80%.

I know it may seem strange, but throwing the ball that hard 70, 80, 90 times a day can be PAINFUL. So resting a pitcher for a few days is crucial.

Man I hope I didn't cloud the issue for you. This is challenging in a good way.

Does that help?

Thank you for the explanation.

I still do not completely get it but that does not matter. I trust what you say is correct. Now I just wish that I could watch some (good) baseball over here. I take comfort that the football (soccer) season has just begun in Sweden.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 63
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 5:58:16 PM   
nate25

quote:

quote:

I am sorry that I bailed on your explanation but I realized how late it was and I needed to get up early.

Haha No problem. We've all got real lives.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 64
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 6:03:30 PM   
nate25

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh my GOD,

What is happening TO MY THREAD?!!

Your fault since you didn't want to educate me on baseball and other American oddities.

OK, Orm, lesson #2: In a majority of 9-inning baseball games, you should only use one pitcher or possibly two. A starter and a relief ((closer) as in close the door), if needed.

Yes. I actually got that part. But as I understand it a baseball team has several starter pitchers because the games are so close that they need to rest between the games. What I am asking is why not use all the starter pitchers in each game for around 2 innings? Would they then not be fresh for next game even if the rest between the games is short.

Do remember that I know very little about real baseball since I live in Europe and no baseball here for me to watch. So please be kind to me in my ignorance about baseball.

Wow. I have to admit I'm stymied by parts of that question in all seriousness.

OK. I've never thought of using pitchers like that. That's "outside the box" for me, as an American, partly because "that's just the way it's done." And I think at a pro level, well, any level really, you expect your pitcher to be good for a certain amt. of pitches that day. I see where you're going with that line of reasoning, but I would want 1 or 2 completely fresh pitchers instead of 4-5 at 80%.

I know it may seem strange, but throwing the ball that hard 70, 80, 90 times a day can be PAINFUL. So resting a pitcher for a few days is crucial.

Man I hope I didn't cloud the issue for you. This is challenging in a good way.

Does that help?

Thank you for the explanation.

I still do not completely get it but that does not matter. I trust what you say is correct. Now I just wish that I could watch some (good) baseball over here. I take comfort that the football (soccer) season has just begun in Sweden.

No ESPN over there?

Over here I get scores on Euro football, etc. A lot of euro sports can be viewed here (some at a price, yes.)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 65
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 6:13:26 PM   
Orm

quote:

No ESPN over there?

Over here I get scores on Euro football, etc. A lot of euro sports can be viewed here (some at a price, yes.)

I have a standard package with 16 channels. But that is mostly Swedish channels and interest is to low for them to show Baseball. They do show American Football and for that I am happy. Unfortunately I am usually to tired to watch the game.

I can get an additional sports package that gives me 10 or so additional sports channels where ESPN is included. But at the moment I do not think the additional cost is worth it since I do not get all the football (soccer) matches that I would like with that package. ESPN might have made it worth it if not most of what I would like to see on that channel is in the middle of the night. Paying for ESPN and just watch a couple of baseball games a year seem to bad a deal for me.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 66
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 6:24:30 PM   
nate25

Are you offered TIVO or anything like that in Sweden? That's real handy if you can't watch at air time.

At any rate, anything I can do to bring an underexposed European (even a Swede) into the fold of American sports, just ask.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 67
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 6:36:08 PM   
Orm

TIVO is, as far as I know, used by a competing network in Sweden. The cable network I have access to have a similar system but ESPN is not included.

I suspect that if I someday watch baseball it will be by computer and internet.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 68
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 6:42:34 PM   
nate25

Ahhh.

It sounds like at least you have a choice cable-wise. In Ohio it's TWC or tough nuts, unless you go to Direct TV.

We're so against monopolies and all about fair competition over here. . .

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 69
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/16/2012 11:58:49 PM   
Gilmer

Alabama is going to repeat as the foosball champion. Really? Do I know? Not really, but it sounds as good as any other prediction. It actually sounds better to me.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 70
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 12:09:48 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Alabama is going to repeat as the foosball champion. Really? Do I know? Not really, but it sounds as good as any other prediction. It actually sounds better to me.

Right now I hear the words of the song "Dream On" in my brain.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 71
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 12:12:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Warspite1

Aerosmith

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 72
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 12:15:29 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Aerosmith

Great job warped. You win.

< Message edited by parusski -- 4/17/2012 12:33:53 AM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 73
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 12:21:40 AM   
nate25

quote:

Hard to say on April 16th. I forget who they bring back from last year. But I'll find out.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 74
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 12:32:15 AM   
nate25

As long as Bama beats that blue and yellow team from Michigan on Sept. 1, I won't care until we MIGHT have to meet you in a Bowl game.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 75
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 3:43:57 PM   
nate25

FIFA is going to adopt some new technology to assist the refs on goal-line calls, to avoid any more debacles like the Chelsea-Tottenham FA semi-final on Sunday.

This is official, it's just down to a choice b/t two competing companies that produce the appropriate equipment.

I don't know much about all that "Home Nations" stuff that apparently influenced this decision for so long.

What do you Euro football fans think of that?

Yes?

No?

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 76
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 3:46:56 PM   
parusski

quote:

FIFA is going to adopt some new technology to assist the refs on goal-line calls, to avoid any more debacles like the Chelsea-Tottenham FA semi-final on Sunday.

This is official, it's just down to a choice b/t two competing companies that produce the appropriate equipment.

I don't know much about all that "Home Nations" stuff that apparently influenced this decision for so long.

Yes?

No?

You are a bot, please go bother some other suckers.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 77
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 3:50:14 PM   
nate25

Ok, you forum policeman, you.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 78
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 7:31:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Yes?

No?
Warspite1

Sorry natester old bean but I don't understand. What do you mean by "Home Nations" stuff?

Thanks

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 79
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 7:42:45 PM   
nate25

W1, I was hoping you'd tell me.

Something about England, Scotland, Wales, and I think Ireland being the "Home Nations", where soccer originated, and those nations' representatives in the international football community being very resistant to change tradition, i.e. bring in modern electronics to help the refs.

Like I said, I don't have a grasp on it and was hoping one of you guys knew a lot more about it.

It caught my eye because the NFL over here went electronic to help our refs some years ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 80
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 7:53:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

W1, I was hoping you'd tell me.

Something about England, Scotland, Wales, and I think Ireland being the "Home Nations", where soccer originated, and those nations' representatives in the international football community being very resistant to change tradition, i.e. bring in modern electronics to help the refs.

Like I said, I don't have a grasp on it and was hoping one of you guys knew a lot more about it.

It caught my eye because the NFL over here went electronic to help our refs some years ago.
Warspite1

Yes I thought that's what you meant by Home Nations, but I didn't see where the talk about goal line technology came from in relation. As far as I know - and I may be wrong - its not the Home Nations who are resistant to change. That moron in charge of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, is the one who said technology was not needed as mistakes give people things to talk about

If I have it right, no country can just adopt new ideas without UEFA (or the appropriate governing body) agreement.

It has to come in; there have been too many high profile incidents recently where the call has gone the wrong way; normally against teams I support (but I'm not paranoid )

Pedro Mendez SPURS vs Man Utd
Didier Drogba Chelsea vs SPURS
Fat Lampard ENGLAND vs Germany
Juan Mata(?) SPURS vs Chelsea

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 81
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 7:58:58 PM   
nate25

Well, that helps me a little, thank you sir.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 82
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:17:05 PM   
warspite1

Question for you young natester - Why do you not have an avatar?

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 83
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:22:17 PM   
nate25

W1, to be honest, I don't know how.

I've been meaning to ask, but our deep meaningful conversations on these threads usually make me forget to ask.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 84
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:28:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

W1, to be honest, I don't know how.

I've been meaning to ask, but our deep meaningful conversations on these threads usually make me forget to ask.
Warspite1

My advice - if you want a signature as well - is to ask the peeps on the WITPAE forum. There are some really helpful people on there - Lokel Yokel did mine; He just asked what I wanted do. I gave him the piccy, the quote and the title and he put it all together for me as I wouldn't have a clue.

The avatar I got done by Froonp on the WIF forum. Previously I just had a picture of HMS Warspite, but he has done loads of counters for peeps that want one. But you can just go into the My Profile page and upload something.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 85
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:39:41 PM   
nate25

Ok, thanks! I'll look into it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 86
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:47:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Ok, thanks! I'll look into it.
Warspite1

For a signature I would definitely go for the Supermarine Walrus

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 87
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:48:36 PM   
parusski

quote:

Just pick something for your avatar and it will magically appear.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 88
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 9:54:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

So you were thinking of yourself - as usual

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 89
RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread - 4/17/2012 10:01:23 PM   
nate25

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, nothing grabbed me there in the avatar section. I'll have to figure out this upload thingy.

My avatar should be up sometime in2038.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Nate's College Football and Whatever Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI