Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ok forget what you "like" what are you actual... - 11/14/2002 10:01:55 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm we have seen a lot of threads discussing our likes and dislikes, but hmmm when it comes to the proof of the pudding eh, what are you actually playing?

When I say actually playing, if its been more than a full year (365 days), you are NOT playing that game.

This is open to non computer and even non traditional wargames, or even not even close to being wargames as well.

I spent the 90's intensely playing Magic the Gathering for instance. I no longer play it, so it is not open for comment.

I have not had a game of Advanced Third Reich in a year, so in spite of it being a favourite, I won't include it.

I have played ASL a few times though. So it qualifies.

I play Steel Panthers more often than not for my wargame fix on the computer.

I have played Sudden Strike a few times (even if only to check it out).

I play Heroes of Might and Magic IV (just bought The Gathering Storm Exapansion, making the home troops here happy too).

I play Civilization III but I am not expecting to rush out for the Play the World expansion (they lost the chance to get it to me when it was omitted in the original design, besides I don't expect to play online enough to spend that sort of cash).

I play currently Axis and Allies Pacific against locals (very safe purchase, excellent product).

I play Worms World Party (man that game is funny).

I have played Age of Wonders and Alpha Centauri enough to get on the list.

I have played Panzer General and Allied General and Panzer General II as exploratory games this year (yes I did not have these games when they were released originally).

I have played the demos for Combat Mission, and Strategic Command. Both failed to interest me though. No sale there.

I have played the demo for World In Flames (and it sucked as far as interface goes, definitely no sale).

Played the Steel Beasts demo, it looked good.

Played the Panzer Elite demo. It looked good, but the software is so lousy, so who cares what it looks like if it won't run reliably.
I just hope they have decided to work harder on Panzer Claws, or it will look good too, and suck as software.

Played the Ardennes Offensive, it looked really good, but at the time I was having trouble getting it to run (not sure why, might revisit it).

Played Tthe General. Looks like this game needs a manual....bad.

Played exploratory games of Pacific General, Peoples General and Fantasy General of the Panzer General genesis of games.
Pacific General is for naval nuts, and fun looking.
Peoples General will appeal to modern nuts, and is fun.
Fantasy General, is a nice way to escape the world of tanks, and have the same sort of fun, but with different looking icons heheh.

So that is where I have been active.

What about you guys?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 11/14/2002 11:14:09 PM   
nelmsm1

Well currently I am playing all the Talonsoft Battleground and HPS Civil War and Napoleonic titles as I am in the American Civil War Game Club and the Napoleonic Game Club. Really enjoy the games and the interactions of the club. Playing a lot of SP:WAW. Getting back into The Operational Art of War: COW. For something different I go to Europa Universalis or Civilization II. Don't know that I will cough up the cash for the newer version of these latter two as I just don't play them enough and there are still too many wargames out there that I want. Downloaded one of the Close Combat demos the other night and have just started fooling around with it.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 11/15/2002 12:02:30 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Civ 2 is a good program. It gives you a scifi as well as a fantasy setting.

I DO highly recommend Civ 3 though. It takes all the best of the Call to Power look and offers the same game quality of the Civ experience as well.

It is definitely a safe purchase.

Post #: 3
- 11/15/2002 1:05:10 AM   
USSAmerica

Les I have to agree with you about Civ 3. It was all I played on the computer from last November until about June of this year.

Since June, I have played another PacWar:TME campaign and recently purchased and am starting to learn UV. Also, despite my dislike for RT clickfests, I have played Age of Empires 2. It's fun to play over the home network with the kids. I explored Pacific General, and it looks fun, but I probably won't spend any more time playing it.

I have also installed SP:WAW, and it looks great, but UV is taking all of my "learn a new game" energy right now. I expect UV will keep me busy, along with an occasional game of Civ 3, until the grand daddy hits the streets: War in the Pacific.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 4
- 11/15/2002 1:30:51 AM   
scimitar

What I'm actually playing:

1) computer games:
-Empire Deluxe (PBEM and solo game) - Yes, that old stuff, Windows version (one of the first Windows games I think). Simple, funny, attractive)
- Flight Commander II (PBEM)
- SPWAW (MCLV, and H2H)
- Mahjong

2) Other games:
- Blood Bowl
- Warhammer 40.000
- Formula Dice
- Actually learning the rules of boardgame Canvas Falcons (WWI aerial combat game) to be involved as a playtester of the game (played on a MSN group via the support of Cyberboard)

Post #: 5
- 11/15/2002 2:14:33 AM   
challenge

Of course, SpWaW, but also Medieval Total War (I have the Shogun version as well, but put that aside for a while), Patrician II, and dash of Civ III and a pinch of MOO2 while waiting for MOO3. Then ther's the table top role playing gam Shadowrun.

Almost forgot, I have a Gettysburg battle I'm two-thirds of the way through where the Rebs (My side) are winning.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Post #: 6
- 11/15/2002 2:42:35 AM   
Frank W.

after long time i installed "blade runner" again. one of the graetest games (+movies) of all times....

besides i have installed steel panther WAW + MOHAA.

no more time for more games :(

Post #: 7
- 11/15/2002 3:50:39 AM   
CCB

At the moment I'm only playing Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

Post #: 8
- 11/15/2002 6:42:30 AM   
NaKATPase

Games of the year for the past year eh??
(remember, these are just the favorites)

Computer wise...

Starcraft (impossible to avoid)
Day of Defeat (wwii halflife mod -- better than MoH:AA in many ways.)
SPWAW (seems I wasn't able to finish a pbem game all summer though... started a bunch, but never got to the last turn :()
Warcraft 3 (not as good as SC, but it's the direction the crowd is going.)

Board wise...

Guerilla (AH title, multiplayer card game... great fun for novices!)
History of the World (AH, great multiplayer fun)
Mustangs (AH, air to air ww2 combat... great for running mini-campaigns)
Breakout Normandy (AH, Perfect for beating the roomate ;))

Tabletop wise...

Sword and the Flame (late 19th century imperialism, British vs zulus or mahdists, and/or FFL vs Berbers, with some germans thrown into the mix for good measure)
Crossfire (company/battalion level wwii infantry actions... great system with no tape measures and no set turn sequence... sounds crazy I know, but it actually rewards historical tactics)
Fusilier (Tactical Napoleonics rules that actually capture the ability of l'ordre mixte to defeat the continetals but still fail against the british in the peninsula)

Don't know what I'm going to do next year when I don't have a dorm full of people to turn into opponents ;)

NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.

"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS

Post #: 9
- 11/15/2002 8:40:17 AM   
Brigz

I play Advanced Squad Leader at least once a week against a live opponent. Usually about three or four hours per session. We take our time and play very methodically so it takes us a few sittings to get through the average scenario.

While I haven't actually been "playing" my computer games I have been spending a lot of time making new maps and battles for HPS's Campaign Corinth and Campaign Eckmuhl. I have as much fun (sometimes more) making new stuff than actually playing the games. I've spent the last month just converting the Napoleon In Russian Project's library of Talonsoft battles over to the newer Campaign Eckmuhl engine. Lot's of fun and I expect it will keep me busy for months to come. (I really get my money's worth out of a game.) And I'm learning a lot about Napoleonic uniforms.

But some day I hope to play some email games if I can ever find the time.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 10
- 11/15/2002 8:42:31 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelmsm
[B]Well currently I am playing all the Talonsoft Battleground and HPS Civil War and Napoleonic titles as I am in the American Civil War Game Club and the Napoleonic Game Club. [/B][/QUOTE]

One of these days I'm going to join an ACW game club. Sure looks like a lot of fun.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 11
- 11/15/2002 10:00:42 AM   
Jim1954

SPWAW , Russo-German War 41-44, and IL-2 Sturmovik are pretty much taking all of my discretionary time right now.

Post #: 12
What's on my HD right now... - 11/15/2002 10:58:04 AM   
KG Erwin

...is SPWaW, Frank Hunter's ACW, Ensemble's Age of Mythology, and TAO2. I've played the first three off & on. ACW (ver 2.62 is available now for 1024x768), has fixed the earlier bugs and is a very challenging game if you play as the South. AoM is, well, pretty and VERY challenging. The single player campaign is playable, but also very tough, even at the moderate setting. Nevertheless, I can only dream of a 3D multi-camera view of a SPWaW battlefield. Too bad.

Post #: 13
- 11/15/2002 10:36:18 PM   
AlBW

Playing Modern Campaign: Fulda 85 and SPWAW.

Al

Post #: 14
- 11/15/2002 11:05:18 PM   
nelmsm1

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]

One of these days I'm going to join an ACW game club. Sure looks like a lot of fun. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you like to do a little role playing it is a lot of fun. It is what got me started playing PBEM. :)

Post #: 15
- 11/16/2002 6:17:18 AM   
rockymtndoc

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and waiting for sequel due out this month.

IronStorm.

Waiting to see if Panzer Claws is any good, based on it's JoWood lineage.

rockymtndoc

Post #: 16
- 11/17/2002 4:31:14 AM   
AlvinS

As far as computer games I have been playing SPWAW, Uncommon Valor, Talonsoft East Front II and West Front, and Operational Art of War.

As far as board games are concerned I have been playing The American Civil War by Victory Games (Excellent), France 1944 By Victory Games, and SOPAC by Avalanche Press (A good Game if you are currently playing Uncommon Valor on the computer).

The classics like Risk and Axis and Allies are also on the menu.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

Post #: 17
- 11/23/2002 12:40:23 PM   
brent_2

on the comp...

Medieval TW, Close Combat 3 and 5, Operation Flashpoint.

board games?

Snakes and Ladders, Candyland hahaha - just that time of life I guess :)

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

Post #: 18
- 11/23/2002 7:47:31 PM   
Kraut

SPWAW

Call to Power II

Space Empires IV

Settlers III

Empire Earth (RT, but fun, you can slow down enough to make it playable as strategy)

Post #: 19
- 11/23/2002 11:16:19 PM   
rockymtndoc

Just finished Medal of Honr: Spearhead.

rockymtndoc

Post #: 20
currently playing - 11/25/2002 1:44:47 AM   
Waylander

Wargames wise:

SPWAW - constantly, just getting heavy into Desert Fox.
all the talonsoft games.

others:
Age of Mythology
Age of Wonders II
Icewind Dale II
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
and another constant Heroes 3.5 WOG. which is an excellent fan add on to Heroes III shadow of death.

regards
Waylander

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."

Post #: 21
- 11/30/2002 5:10:01 AM   
sandman20

Wargames:

SPWaW: takes most of my free time:D
Operation Flashpoint
Medal Of Honour - Allied Assault

Others:

EASports NHL -series, 2003 currently.
:cool:

Post #: 22
- 11/30/2002 11:37:11 AM   
Hades

1.Spwaw- I play MCLV until I get so sick of the Russians refusing to retreat then i go play
2.Morrowind- which it the best RPG EVER!! and I play until it crashes then I load up
3. CIV III- which is awesome and I'll play until my stack of 4 elite swordsmen die trying to take a size 3 town defended by a regular spearman:mad: :mad: :mad: then the cycle starts over.

Also taking my time:
Warcraft 3
Operational Art of War
Colonization
Conflict in the Middle East

I also have been playing Vampire: TM and some Dungeons and Dragons.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

Post #: 23
- 11/30/2002 3:54:13 PM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hades
[CIV III- which is awesome and I'll play until my stack of 4 elite swordsmen die trying to take a size 3 town defended by a regular spearman:mad: :mad: :mad: then the cycle starts over.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Some of the combat results in CivIII are decidedly odd; I have heard of tanks getting chopped up by swordsmen.

Post #: 24
- 11/30/2002 7:59:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Civ 3 is allowed to be odd though, but when you consider some of the games of Strategic Command being reported at Battlefront, who cares if its a 25 dollar game.

In Civ the units are just attack values and defense values modified by terrain considerations with varying picture icons really.
Basically Civ is just a turn based game with "lifebars". If life bars are ok in an RTS game, well then its ok if swordsman kill tanks in Civ:) (and they wonder why some of us grognards like to put down RTS games hehe).

Post #: 25
- 11/30/2002 9:30:47 PM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Civ 3 is allowed to be odd though, but when you consider some of the games of Strategic Command being reported at Battlefront, who cares if its a 25 dollar game.

In Civ the units are just attack values and defense values modified by terrain considerations with varying picture icons really.
Basically Civ is just a turn based game with "lifebars". If life bars are ok in an RTS game, well then its ok if swordsman kill tanks in Civ:) (and they wonder why some of us grognards like to put down RTS games hehe). [/B][/QUOTE]

I think it's just sloppiness. The units have all kinds of ratings already, an armor rating would be just one more. Anything that's not strong enough to penetrate the armor wouldn't count, period.

Civ I came out in 1991 (!); in that game spears could sink an aircraft-carrier. Now it's almost 12 years later and Sid Meier couldn't be bothered to correct that in all that time.

The only Civ game with armor ratings is Call to Power II. The values are questionable with some units, but they are better than nothing. You can also download maps and scenarios from [url]www.apolyton.com[/url] that make the game playable almost like a real wargame. If you can pick it up for a couple of bucks somewhere you might find it worthwhile.

The combat-system of the Civ games is lifted from Empire, if you remember that old game.

A sub-genre of the Civ-games are the 4X games set in space (the 4X being Xplore, Xpand, Xploit and Xterminate). The best known are the Master of Orion games and also Reach for the Stars. The trouble is that they share all the problems of the Civ games and add some of their own, like poor play-balance; the first one to build a steam-roller fleet wins.

One game that I can recommend is Space Empires IV from Shrapnel Games, now called Space Empires IV Gold. You can modify everything, and graphics excepting do it by rewriting simple .txt files: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/malfador/SEIVGold/

Post #: 26
- 11/30/2002 9:51:02 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I understand your complaints of course Kraut.

My only reason for supporting Civ is that it provides a level playing field.

My sword wielding primtives can do anything your sword wielding primitives can.

But for accuracy true accuracy I turn off the computer and play a real wargame ie a board game against a beer drinking pizza scarfing 30 or more year old grognard. ASL and A3R being I guess by now, the most obviously preferred games by this wargamer.

Accuracy is rarely found on the computer, unless it is with games such as Steel Panthers where the data can be fine tuned to extreme. Realism is rarely found outside of turn based games.
Shooters are all about fun, and accuracy or realism only detract from the fun.

For those that have not yet played or seen played Battlefield 1942, it is currently one of the hottest tickets out there, but don't expect it to make you feel like you are in WW2. Nope it is just 20 or so guys running around playing silly bugger on the net.

Accuracy is merely intrusive in games like Civ where it is fun first and last.

Post #: 27
- 12/1/2002 6:15:12 AM   
Nixuebrig

On PC
Space Empires IV
Battlefield 1942
HPS Napoleon`s Russian Campaign

Tried playing Anstoss 4 , but that is unplayable until it is patched :mad:

Board Games
Empires in Arms
Blood Bowl (if that counts?)

Post #: 28
- 12/1/2002 6:21:03 AM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]

My only reason for supporting Civ is that it provides a level playing field.

My sword wielding primtives can do anything your sword wielding primitives can.

Accuracy is merely intrusive in games like Civ where it is fun first and last. [/B][/QUOTE]

I get your point, put I'd still like to play a computergame with the scale of Civ and the accuracy of ASL.

Post #: 29
- 12/1/2002 6:22:34 AM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prince
[B]On PC
Space Empires IV
Battlefield 1942
HPS Napoleon`s Russian Campaign

Tried playing Anstoss 4 , but that is unplayable until it is patched :mad:

Board Games
Empires in Arms
Blood Bowl (if that counts?) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, another German Space Empires IV player! There's not many of us, you know.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI