Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hearts and Minds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 4:12:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Port Hedrand: Bad weather. No flights. 32nd ID is getting some line infantry and heavy weapons back. We now have two M-10 Bn there. Everyone has supply. A Bn of Br 2nd is about 4-5 days out. Ossie reserve tank unit arrive at Corruna Downs.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7291
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 4:50:38 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Port Hedrand: Bad weather. No flights. 32nd ID is getting some line infantry and heavy weapons back. We now have two M-10 Bn there. Everyone has supply. A Bn of Br 2nd is about 4-5 days out. Ossie reserve tank unit arrive at Corruna Downs.

Just be sure do not shock attack - deliberate attacks only or you risk putting them all back in hospital.

Post #: 7292
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 5:46:32 PM   
sprior

quote:

do not shock attack

Would we do that?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7293
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 5:58:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

do not shock attack

Would we do that?

yes...at Ypres.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7294
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:09:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

By ra way. The amphibous group was discovered to be following a pod of Minke whales off Townsville which they mistook for HMS Prince of "Whales".

This was quite an embarrassing cultural misunderstanding and had caused about 36 hrs of very little forward progress to be made. This will likely push the landing date closer to Christmas again.

Post #: 7295
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:18:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7296
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:38:04 PM   
Gridley380

I was surprised to see The Count's group understrength on pilots. OK, technically just not OVERstrength on pilots, but I count that as understrength for anyone but the Dutch or Chinese.

Post #: 7297
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:46:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I had to cut a 22.5K personal check to the source of the "giant sucking sound" in Washington yesterday.

**********IMPORTANT SACRILEGE ALERT! POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE SPIRITUAL MATERIAL FOLLOWS********

Sweet Baby Jesus;

Please bring us together and help eliminate all violence in the world. And help us to feed the hungry and clothe the naked (unless they work for that underwear maker with all the hot models..I forget what it is called right now). But most of all Baby Jesus, please get rid of the AMT.

Amen.

Post #: 7298
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:50:05 PM   
sprior

quote:

yes...at Ypres.

I think you'll find it's spelt "Wipers".

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 7299
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/16/2012 6:54:15 PM   
sprior

quote:

Minke whales off Townsville which they mistook for HMS Prince of "Whales".

Must try to reply but............

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 7300
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 1:36:02 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Amen.

Amen.

Post #: 7301
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 1:39:34 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I had to cut a 22.5K personal check to the source of the "giant sucking sound" in Washington yesterday.

/annoying JFB mode on/

Captain Mandrake-san. (bows)

Don't forget the giant sucking sound in Sacramento while writing check. (bows again)

Have nice day. (bows yet again in redundant manner)

/annoying JFB mode off/

Post #: 7302
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 1:44:37 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

What did that accomplish?

Well, it gave away any semblance of surprise landing.

Oh, you meant in a good way?

Post #: 7303
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 4:14:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The IRS are mere kittens compared to the Franchise Tax Board. I am here to tell you.

JJ defence in the air over Darwin is hard on Allied heavies. They also threw down a minefield in the passage NE of Dariwn. It's like they don't want to lose.

Looks like the BB's will have to wait while we send up some DMS to clear it lest they get hung up in daylight within range from Kopeang.

Admiral Lord SPrior;

My thoughts. We give the B-24's a rest today over Darwin and instead send them to Wyndham where I think the Tojos are flying from. There may not be any CAP. The 17's at Merauke can either rest or fly over Katherine.

Then we stage a fighter sweep over Darwin with some P-38's than can fly in to Gove, the Beaufighters at Gove and some F4F's (perhaps two squadrons) from the carriers.

The carriers could stand off 8 hexes from Darwin (near Gove). This would prevent a costly antishipping attack against the CAP hell over Darwin but allow the F4F's to sweep. The BB's could join the carriers and wait for the minefield to be cleared. I think we can send some DMS at night and do it. We can also see what we can accomplish without the carrier F4F's. When Gove is at 2x supply we can sweep with Marine F4F's from there.

I would also advocate for an attack at Katherine. British 2nd is at 80% of its monthly supply need. I think it might work but your call. If you want to try we can dump a bunch of bombs on them today with the 17's.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7304
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 6:21:50 PM   
House Stark

Are you sure that US carrier planes can sweep at 8 hexes? Or does the 7 hex limit on US carrier strikes not affect sweeps?

Post #: 7305
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 6:51:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

Are you sure that US carrier planes can sweep at 8 hexes? Or does the 7 hex limit on US carrier strikes not affect sweeps?

No, I am not sure that they will fly a sweep at 8 hexes. Perhaps someone who has read the manual can comment.

If that is the case we could move to 7 hexes and chop the attack range on the bombers down to 6....a somewhat dangerous proposition if LYB carriers were to show up.

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 7306
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 7:41:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I would also advocate for an attack at Katherine. British 2nd is at 80% of its monthly supply need. I think it might work but your call. If you want to try we can dump a bunch of bombs on them today with the 17's.

Somehow, I don't think the 20% supply delivery the British 2nd is waiting for includes having bombs dumped on them ...

Re: the mines, can't you get someone to arrange a contract with the local native pearl/mine divers to clear them??

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 7307
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 7:55:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Somehow, I don't think the 20% supply delivery the British 2nd is waiting for includes having bombs dumped on them ...

Bloody ingrates!

quote:

Re: the mines, can't you get someone to arrange a contract with the local native pearl/mine divers to clear them??

I just thought of something. It's right next to Bathurst. It's probably that whiskey-swizzling two-timer O'Brien.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7308
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 8:13:17 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Bloody ingrates!

quote:

I just thought of something. It's right next to Bathurst. It's probably that whiskey-swizzling two-timer O'Brien.

And just what do you think is wrong about whiskey-swizzling?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 7309
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 9:58:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I found a new resource for AE questions.......

Me: "Siri, will the F4F fly 8 hex sweep missions from Allied carriers in December '42"?

Siri: Well, do you have drop tanks enabled?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7310
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 10:07:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So there is this creek near our building that is downstream from a reservoir and the county is using water releases into the stream to recharge the aquifer. For some strange reason it doesnt run all day <Chinatown sound track music here>. Anyway, it has rained so the water relase is quite regular and the creekbed is green with vegetation. When I came in to work the flow was off so the algae on the creekbed was exposed. 4 hrs later I come back, the water is running briskly and a foot deep in places.

There are 2 egrets and 15 ducks. The ducks are swimming against the current dipping thier heads underwater to get at the algae. It was quite an amazing scene. Instant riparian habitat.

Then I start thinking why don't the stupid ducks come back when the water isnt running and just walk around and eat the algae without getting wet?

Post #: 7311
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/17/2012 11:02:57 PM   
moore4807

"Ummm... Then my good man we couldn't say water off a ducks back!"

But since you mentioned it - there is a water retention pond near me that is usually empty or near empty, We have a large duck and geese population in the area, but whenever it rains heavy you will see the full retention pond wall to wall with ducks and geese diving and bobbing... I wondered what are they going for thats not there when its empty?   Inquiring minds?

PS. Siri? You know Tom Cruise's daughter?

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 4/17/2012 11:06:05 PM >

Post #: 7312
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 12:08:40 AM   
BBfanboy

You spend a lot of time watching ducks? You aren't gonna go all Tony Soprano on us when they leave, are you??

Post #: 7313
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 2:17:56 AM   
moore4807

Hmmm, ducks or people, actually its at a stoplight, (the ever mother luvin terminal forever traffic light) and I get bored looking at the road or the boogie this winner in the car next to me just picked and is beaming at it like its a winning lottery ticket....so the ducks usually win
Apologies to all the sensitive people out there...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7314
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 2:34:59 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

So there is this creek near our building that is downstream from a reservoir and the county is using water releases into the stream to recharge the aquifer. For some strange reason it doesnt run all day...

Then I start thinking why don't the stupid ducks come back when the water isnt running and just walk around and eat the algae without getting wet?

[/quote
Uhh, maybe the ducks and egrets are eating invertebrates and small fish in the water that come out into the open when water washes down in the outflow from the pond? I'm pretty sure they don't eat algae (Wikipedia makes no mention of it, so it must be true!).

Hey, when it comes to the AMT, just repeat the following: "Paying my fair share. Fairness. Hope. Change. Spreading the wealth around. Making the 1% pay."

There, there: Don't you feel better now?

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 7315
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 3:20:57 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Because rotting algae is a rich in Clostridium botulinum spores and preformed toxin. Fly larvae that eat said algae are quite the concentrators of the toxin. Poor ducks can't help themselves sometimes-a big wriggling maggot gets the better of them.

Kind of like marriage. You realize you're poisoned only after sampling the tasty morsel*.

*The alliterative here was for humorous purposes only. I worship the sacrament of marriage and love my wife dearly [looks over shoulder at wife tapping foot...]

Post #: 7316
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 5:20:49 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Because rotting algae is a rich in Clostridium botulinum spores and preformed toxin. Fly larvae that eat said algae are quite the concentrators of the toxin. Poor ducks can't help themselves sometimes-a big wriggling maggot gets the better of them.

Kind of like marriage. You realize you're poisoned only after sampling the tasty morsel*.

*The alliterative here was for humorous purposes only. I worship the sacrament of marriage and love my wife dearly [looks over shoulder at wife tapping foot...]

That would be an allusion not an alliterative, you boisterously babbling buffoon*.

* That would be an alliterative and is offered for illustrative purposes only. Any resemblance to the light-saber wielding poultry youth who is enamored by tropical diseases is purely coincidental and no such inference is implied, either intentionally or accidentally. Furthermore, the reader is advised to avoid ingesting rotting algae and to altogether avoid maggots that have dined on same.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7317
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 7:16:16 PM   
sprior

Looks like someone isn't plotting their minefields accurately in accordance with international law:

TF 1 encounters mine field at Port Hedland (57,129)

Japanese Ships
SS I-123, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

TF 1 encounters mine field at Port Hedland (57,129)

Japanese Ships
SS I-123, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

TF 357 encounters mine field at Port Hedland (57,129)

Japanese Ships
SS I-154, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7318
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 7:17:03 PM   
sprior

At Corunna Downs:

Ground combat at Corunna Downs (57,131)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 781 troops, 0 guns, 39 vehicles, Assault Value = 28

Defending force 637 troops, 23 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 36

Allied adjusted assault: 11

Japanese adjusted defense: 9

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), supply(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
73 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
2/10th Armoured Regiment

Defending units:
Yokosuka Assault SNLF /1
31st Fld AA Gun Co

< Message edited by sprior -- 4/18/2012 7:18:20 PM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7319
RE: Hearts and Minds - 4/18/2012 7:18:30 PM   
sprior

And at Changsha

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 12446 troops, 117 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1877

Defending force 75783 troops, 468 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2805

Japanese adjusted assault: 212

Allied adjusted defense: 4143

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 19 (fort level 5)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3530 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 297 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Guns lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
156 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 30 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
9th Armored Car Co
3rd Division
28th Division
2nd Ind.Mixed Regiment
40th Division
51st Recon Regiment
102nd Infantry Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment
58th Infantry Regiment
11th Army
1st Army
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion

Defending units:
53rd Chinese Corps
26th Chinese Corps
74th Chinese Corps
73rd Chinese Corps
37th Chinese Corps
20th Chinese Corps
87th Chinese Corps
56th Chinese Corps
5th Construction Regiment
29th Group Army
57th AT Gun Regiment
17th Chinese Base Force
1st Artillery Regiment
30th Group Army
19th Group Army
27th Group Army
7th Artillery Regiment
9th War Area
56th AT Gun Regiment

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7320
Page:   <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI