Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need huge help on how to play :(

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Need huge help on how to play :( Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 12:32:24 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Hi everyone. I love this game. I love 4x space sims, however this game is SUPER difficult for me because i'm not that bright. I've read the manual many times over, read through the galactapedia and the tutorial but I just don't get it. I googled for a wiki and found one, however there is nothing on it.

Is there anyway people can help me out on how to be a pro like the rest of you? :( Please? I have the base game and the expansions.

Thanks so much, I would owe you a lot.
Post #: 1
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 12:41:33 AM   
wodin

I can't be of help as I don't own the game. HOWEVER I have found that readings as many AAR's as possible with regards to any game really helps me in learning the system.

Find an AAR and play out the same scenario at the same time.

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 2
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 12:51:11 AM   
DustyMonk

I'd recommend watching a video AAR. Das123's are excellent. There's one here

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 5:26:54 AM   
Falokis

I would recommend starting a game and setting it to "rule in absence". Then, you can just watch what the AI does at 4x speed. The AI isn't great, but it will give you a good idea what you are doing right and wrong.

(in reply to DustyMonk)
Post #: 4
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 10:41:20 AM   
Modest

I can tell You how I learned how to play it. It is really simple - I started with crearing all victory objectives (play as a sandbox) and without any opponent. I took my time. Of course this means also turning off pirates (space creatures live as their are, or increase them to max - afther all it is fun to have some short of enemy). Also make sure that independents may NOT become other empire. Take Your time and learn. When You will fill ready then start a new game - this time with some enemys (pirates or empires - Your choise). Also watching some AAR will help, and reading it. That is what I advise to You, and how I learned how to play it. Also if You will decide to watch AARs than remember - learn not only from players' succes but also from their mistakes. Also Falokis put nice idea - by watching AI playing You may find some interesting things. But that is only for beginiers so afther some time put AI away. If Your problem become how to create good ships I would like to reccomend Ship Building AAR - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2411040

I hope this was helpfull at least a bit.

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 5
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/21/2012 11:09:49 AM   
ilovestrategy

I've been having issues too learning. This is good advice. Thanks!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 6
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/22/2012 12:16:50 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Thank you so much! I will start watching AARs! Keep the help coming!

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 7
RE: Need huge help on how to play :( - 4/22/2012 5:13:35 AM   
Abraxis

Don't be too hard on yourself, the game is difficult to learn, the documentation spotty and the interface is not very intuitive.

When I first picked this game up I didn't really like it, I put it down for a few months until one day when I was really bored. The first time I went in with my typical frame of mind, control everything and look something up when I don't understand it. This doesn't really work for DW.

The second time I decided I'd try taking it easy. I automated everything and just watched what happened when things happened. Every now and again I'd poke this or that to see what kind of reaction I got. Then as I picked up a few more things I'd take one system off automation and focus on that one thing, still watching everything else. Then another system, and the next until eventually you understand it well enough to control everything.

But even then it can still be more fun not to, and just focus on whatever you do like, whatever floats your boat really.

< Message edited by Abraxis -- 4/22/2012 5:16:21 AM >

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Need huge help on how to play :( Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI