Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/28/2012 7:08:15 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

The enemy attacked and rolled an 11 damaging my Pioneer unit. I choose to play my Auto Rally Action Card to rally my damaged Pioneer Squad. I could have tried to rally the unit by spending the 5 AP's, but would have risked failure had I rolled a 6 or less. With the Auto Rally card, success is guaranteed.

Once played the Soviet Rifle Squad attacks with a strong roll of 11 (4 Firepower,+3 Close Range, -1 Terrain, +1 CAP) =18 which is exactly 4 higher than the Pioneers modified Defense Value of 14. The just rallied Pioneer unit is killed outright. Seems they were sent on a fools errand.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 4/28/2012 7:15:25 AM >

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 31
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/28/2012 7:09:36 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

With the Soviets controlling the Victory Hex I attack it with my LMG and score a Hit, spending CAP's . The other enemy squad advances and I attack again, but this
time even the extra 2 CAP's I spend cannot modify my roll of 6 enough to score another Hit to finish it off.

I attack with the same and miss again this time by rolling a measly 5. The roll gods have evidently turned against me.
I'm not worried of course because right now I have overwhelming firepower and great defensive positions.

With the enemy so close to my Hidden unit I attack with my leftward LMG and spend my last CAP in doing so. I miss as I do two more times with regular chances. Having exhausted my LMG fire, I feel it is a good time to bring my unit out of hiding and attack the the Rifle Squad at close range.

That attack damaged the enemy squad although a follow up attack fails to get a hit. My last AP is spent to change facing just in case the enemy was able to gain 2 moves and get a flank attack. I decide to hold off in using the Command Action card I have remaining until I really need it. Might be a mistake.

Both sides pass and the last game turn is at hand.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 4/28/2012 7:13:05 AM >

Post #: 32
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/28/2012 8:44:46 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Game Turn 5 starts with the Soviets winning initiative. The AI Rallies one of its squads as its opening move. Now is the time to really mop these units up. I have to be careful to save enough AP's or CAP's to move into the Victory Hex this turn, but this shouldn't be a problem especially considering my resources. I was given the Mark As Used Action Card which I use and then select the unit in the Victory Hex.

The other enemy squad attacked my newly revealed Rifle Squad with another 11 destroying it. In hindsight I might have done better playing it on that squad because even though it had spent 5 of its AP's to Rally, it used what little CAP's it had left to attack me. The AI spent the maximum +2 on CAP's which again is very sound application seeing that that attack was the only one it can make for the remainder of the game(one unit too far away and one unit struck after my Action Card). These things might seem minor, but knowing that the AI spent those CAP's then and didn't end the game with CAP's in its pool is welcoming.

I need some good rolls right here, right now. Therefore I attack with my left LMG to try to quickly destroy the enemy so I can use my other LMG to advance on the Victory Hex. I'm now glad that I did in fact keep my Command Action card as it will be needed in the future I believe.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/1/2013 12:29:28 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/28/2012 8:46:16 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Spending 2 of my four CAP's I fire on the enemy in the Victory Hex with a 72% chance and miss TWICE. Now I need a miracle. One more missed attack at a 41% chance leaves it all up to the last LMG.

It attacks at a 41% and misses before it scores a hit on its second attempt. The Soviet Rifle Squad in the Victory Hex is finally destroyed. The enemy Rifle Squad at the rear of the map is doing its best to close the distance and gain LOS it would seem. I don't think they will be a factor.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/1/2013 12:31:04 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/29/2012 7:23:55 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

With thee AP's left I march to the Victory Hex with the expectation of attacking the nearest enemy squad from the rear.

I play my Command Action card as my final action and attack the enemy with a 91% chance of hitting.

Scoring a Hit and damaging the unit only keeps me from gaining another point for kills. This is how the end of the game looks with me in control of the Victory Hex and time run out.

Post #: 35
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/29/2012 7:57:11 PM   
Blind Sniper

Thanks for your report

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

Post #: 36
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/29/2012 9:50:54 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

You're welcome. Hope y'all enjoyed it. I will be posting the END GAME screens for follow up.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 37
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 4/30/2012 2:14:44 PM   
raizer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: raizer

I would like to see some group movement/group actions/fire groups thru the use of sharing APs,Caps and also cards. Winning and losing this game comes down to doing stuff with groups, either thru the use of caps and keeping the units fresh, using cards in groups, and keeping the units fresh, or using APs in firegroups or movement groups and spending them.

These things would call for a bigger scenario I think. Of course all these can be done ingame. I think I need to be schooled in the firegroup part of the system as I seem to rarely use them although I definitely group move when I can. Really cannot wait to do some more multi player against veterans who know this system inside and out.

as long as it can be done Im happy!...the fire groups will be necessary to take out the hard to kill russian tanks ;) Trust me in the Kursk board games, a KVI in the woods is almost immune to AT fire until you get at it with a 75mm+ (tiger anyone) and the xtra help a fire group brings.

< Message edited by raizer -- 4/30/2012 2:15:44 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/1/2012 12:43:21 AM   
Harv

Thanks for taking the time and effort to give us this AAR! I really had no idea how the game played, and this explained everything perfectly. Looking forwards to May 8 even more now. :)

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 39
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/2/2012 12:53:13 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

You're welcome Harv. You're just who I was hoping to reach.

Sorry bout the late end game screens. Life just got very hectic for me. I'll put them up tomorrow.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Harv)
Post #: 40
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/2/2012 3:27:36 AM   
Hanal

Isn't there an option for counters and map choices where the trees do not float above the units? Personally, I cannot stand how the trees obscure the counters.

Post #: 41
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/2/2012 4:51:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi JP,

All you have to do is mouse over a unit in the game and it's immediately brought to the forefront so that the terrain does not obscure it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 42
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/2/2012 7:27:08 AM   
rodney727

This game looks a lot like panzer grenadier by avalanche press. Are there tanks or off board artillery? Leaders? Sorry for all the questions but this game looks very interesting.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 43
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/2/2012 1:49:50 PM   
Joram

There are tanks and off board artillery. There are no leader units.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 44
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/3/2012 3:09:48 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 45
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/3/2012 3:51:41 AM   
vonRocko

I'll be able to jump right into this game, thanks to this AAR! Well done and thank you for the effort Missouri Rebel.

Post #: 46
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/3/2012 9:46:47 PM   
rickier65

Mo Reb,

thanks again for the screen shots. The end game screens look interesting. I'm looking forward to this one.

Thanks!
rick

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 47
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/15/2012 4:42:08 PM   
rpeppler86

An excellent thread. I agree with nonRocko. this will help me jump right in. thanks very much

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 48
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 5/26/2012 4:03:31 PM   
pirey4

Thank you for posting such an informative A.A.R! As a beginner (and not having played COH before), this definitely helped me better understand the game.

(in reply to rpeppler86)
Post #: 49
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 1/31/2013 1:58:12 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Thank you for this AAR, you really helped me learn a lot about this game!

(in reply to pirey4)
Post #: 50
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 3:12:24 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

You are very much welcome. The great thing about it is that the game has been improved upon a ton since I did this AAR. From the maps to the counters all the way down to implementing the classic rule set. I give WCS credit for listening to their customers and delivering what players were asking for, and much more.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 51
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 8:23:48 AM   
fentum

Hey there Missouri Rebel,

I read A LOT of AARs on boardgame geek. Your report above is one of the very best AARs I have ever read. Excellent images and very clear commentary, including a number of insights into the 'why' as well as the 'how'.

Remarkable work.

< Message edited by fentum -- 2/1/2013 8:24:13 AM >

Post #: 52
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 1:06:44 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thanks fentum. That's quite a compliment. This was my first and only AAR that I've done and was a lot of fun to do. Writing has never been a strong point for me as evident by the many grammatical errors, but I figured I'd give it a go anyhow.

I'm contemplating updating the AAR and to try to recreate this battle using the new board and counter graphics. Would be a pain though with the constantly needed load saves required.

mo reb

(in reply to fentum)
Post #: 53
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 2:48:42 PM   
fentum

Hey there Mo Reb,

I would PAY GOOD MONEY to see you write another AAR

But, how about tackling one of the other Firefights? I am thinking specifically one with Tanks, and several tactical approaches e.g. The Monsters.

Now that would be something.

I do, however, reckon that it must be extremely difficult and massively time consuming to do these, so you can just relax. You have more than done your bit for the game.

Post #: 54
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 3:48:21 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Same here especially since the game has been updated since your first aar. You can't have too many aars!

(in reply to fentum)
Post #: 55
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 6:14:54 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: fentum

Hey there Mo Reb,

I would PAY GOOD MONEY to see you write another AAR

But, how about tackling one of the other Firefights? I am thinking specifically one with Tanks, and several tactical approaches e.g. The Monsters.

Now that would be something.

I do, however, reckon that it must be extremely difficult and massively time consuming to do these, so you can just relax. You have more than done your bit for the game.

Have you seen Jorams excellent Monster AAR yet? If not I suggest you do. He does a great job with it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3107997

(in reply to fentum)
Post #: 56
RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. - 2/1/2013 8:45:57 PM   
fentum

I saw that AAR. VERY GOOD indeed.

Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: [A.A.R.] CoH- A Beginners A.A.R. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI