Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginner Advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Beginner Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginner Advice - 4/25/2012 9:10:07 PM   
Tegramon

Hi

I just started playing and I need some advice.
I play with research automation set to off, and also fleet formation to off.

My question is, I always remain without fuel during travel for my fleets. What must I build to ressuply? Gas stations?
The research tree is very stocky. On what weapons would you concentrate best?
Post #: 1
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/25/2012 11:19:48 PM   
Registered55

depends on your level of research you begin with,

i generally start slowly, very slowly....

i make sure the static energy use is covered by energy collector,
i keep my military force quite still, no fuel use,
i take care of most things myself at the beginning of the game, mainly because i can do it.

setting up the basic economy is very hard, difficult, and requires patience..... do not over extend your economy.
in other words don't be too quick to grow.....

only on very small galaxy size, or if you are really unlucky to be really close to another race should you rush at the start of the game.

also i try design my ships so they can hold a lot of fuel, and remember the AI is very wasteful with ship movement at the start of the game, so i take full control of my fleets until my basic economy is up and running.

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/25/2012 11:51:32 PM   
Tegramon

Static Energy use? It's the first time I hear about that ...

(in reply to Registered55)
Post #: 3
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 12:02:18 AM   
Tegramon

If you design the ships yourself, that means that you have to redesign ALL the ships in the roster at the start of a new game right? Titanic work ...

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 4
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 9:48:44 AM   
ergie

With the last beta there's a way to make the designs and force the game to start with this "optimized" designs. So you can make the work once and reuse

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 5
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 2:01:09 PM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tegramon

If you design the ships yourself, that means that you have to redesign ALL the ships in the roster at the start of a new game right? Titanic work ...

No,

Private ships and mining bases will be fine if left as default. (though some prefer to add a few weapons to mining bases)

That only leaves the military ships and bases to be designed by the player.

Designing a good ship is a bit tricky, but with some experimentation I think you will quickly find designs that fits your style. If your ships run out of fuel you need more fuel storage. (and fuel mining stations near your front lines)

As for weapons: I usually go for the Phaser Lance as soon as possible. It it available early and the final upgrade is at Tier 7 - so your early designs will stay competitive most of the game.

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 6
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 2:02:54 PM   
Registered55

static energy use is what power the ship will use when at idle.... you will see it in the design screen

as long as that is covered, then your ships won't use fuel when there standing still, a lot of my military is standing still at the beginning of the game, until research advances enough to warrant my ships for constant moving

until your research advances, fuel will be a constant issue, as it should be.

< Message edited by Registered55 -- 4/26/2012 2:03:59 PM >

(in reply to ergie)
Post #: 7
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 5:28:13 PM   
Modest

About static energy use listen what Registered55 said. It is propably the best way to deal with it. Information about this static energy use will be shown in top right corner of the ship design screen (among other, important data of course). You should find it easy. I may advice You to not try to put much more energy collectors - they work only when idle so there is no real point for a ship to have more than needed. But on star bases (port, military itp.) it is good to put more than needed.
Also try inventing better hyperdrive. If You have problems with fueling than the best choise would be... Hmm... I do not remember how they are called, but I know that we have tree choises at some point. One with fast jump. One with high travel speed, and one with low fuel consumption rate. Problems with fuel - chose one with low fuel consumption rate. Hyperdrives should be at energy research page, but I am not sure.
As for weapons I would like to reccoment You, as a beginner, torpedo weaponry - very strong and long range. But I think that every weapon properly used is great. And one important thing! No matter what weapon You will choose - make sure You will have point defence weapons to fight of those little fighters and bombers. Also an Ion Weapons may come in handy sometimes so it is good to just have them invented at some point.

Hope that helpt a bit.

Post #: 8
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 6:39:48 PM   
Tegramon

Thanks for the advice.
Any advice on rapidly conquering an opponent. Like he has 1 colony, so do I, problem is he has to many troops and if I build a ton of carriers I go bankrupt.

< Message edited by Tegramon -- 4/26/2012 6:40:08 PM >

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 9
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/26/2012 9:02:43 PM   
Registered55

your trying to conquer with only one colony, may i suggest you look for more peaceful ways of expanding your realm LOL

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 10
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/27/2012 12:33:28 PM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tegramon

Thanks for the advice.
Any advice on rapidly conquering an opponent. Like he has 1 colony, so do I, problem is he has to many troops and if I build a ton of carriers I go bankrupt.

Don't build many small - modify the design and build a few big :)

But still, conquering a homeworld a mayor task - just as it should be, and the economic reward is great.

Bombardment is the quick way, but chances are you'll irradiate the planet and make it incolonizeable (is that a word?) by the time you kill off the troops.
Even if some of the population survives you'll not get a big economic boost when you conquer it (since population = money). It may even end up with costing you money - if you damaged it badly enough.

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 11
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/27/2012 3:15:49 PM   
Modest

Generaly I would advice You to not bombard planets. It is tempting but most of time it is just a waste of citizens/slaves (simply tax payers). Also by bombarding You will annoy other civilisations and war with everyone else may follow shortly. Ofcourse it is not always like that - depends on bombardet civ reputation. But most of the time it is just a waste in my opinion.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 12
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/27/2012 10:48:19 PM   
Tegramon

How do you guys play regarding fleets?
I just form a fleet that I command myself and thats about it.

The messages "You are attacked .... by a pirate are excruciatingly annoying".
I was thinking if I let the AI form fleets, maybe, just maybe, they will patrol systems and bases more efficiantly then any other way. Am I right? In the late game as the map gets crowded I wiped most of the pirate bases, and it felt divine lol.

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 13
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/28/2012 12:53:47 AM   
Registered55

i hate the pirates, the system to me isn't quite realistic, i understand why it's there, but the AI fleets don't seem to fully understand there need to be destroyed, none of them, even my own AI fleets do not engage them as they should be doing.

for me my defence minister should be going, pirates in sector G6 has attacked mining base is g765r, Send fleet to engage pirate base in G6 IMMEDIATELY.
but in this game it doesn't happen, i turn piracy down to lowest setting, but it's not enough... too many pirates for my liking, the system is directly related to sensors, if there are dark spots in the universe, then there are pirates, and the resources pirates have seem endless...

as much as i like to see some piracy, after all earth's oceans still have piracy even today's age, however it becomes too numerous and annoying, for me it gets out of hand, the bases just turn up out of know where.... with no reasoning to explain how they just spring up..... they must have very advance technology to be able to build bases without construction vessels. Piracy is annoying and takes too much of my time to deal with (as my AI fleet commander rarely does)

The pirate system is needed, but i just don't like the system (execution).... I turn it off now.

To answer your question, you can't really deal with it, every now and then you have to launch a pirate destruction campaign too clear them up (but like rats....they just keep coming back) and it pretty much stays that way until sensors are covering most of the universe.

last option is bribe them, bribe them, and bribe them more.... Mafia anyone... look how that turned out.

piracy keeps things interesting at the beginning of the game for many, if your a new player piracy keeps the action there so you don't get bored, but if you full in love with the game for it's other elements not just fighting, then turn piracy off.... be warned though, many players depend on piracy to keep the beginning of the game FUN, because without piracy then you risk starting in a part of the universe where you won't see battle for a long time due to a large distance from yourself to the next potential opponent.

I wish the very low setting for piracy in game setup was even lower than it is now, i did ask for this else where in the forum, but still not noticed it yet.

(in reply to Tegramon)
Post #: 14
RE: Beginner Advice - 4/28/2012 1:42:11 AM   
Modest

As for the fleets, I do not let AI even think about controling them for one second! Fleets are all mine to control. I am the one who create them, control them and disband them. Since I do like to have alweys order in my empire I have the same pattern which I apply each time I play DW. I start with two fleets each five destroyers. Later I expand them to ten destroyers for each fleet. Afther longer time I start building two additional fleets of ten cruisers each - from now I use cruisers for conquest and destroyers for defence. Later I create another two fleets of ten cruisers and two fleets of troop transports (for ships each). Optionally I also create one fleet of Ion Weapons destroyers if Silvermist is a problem. Sometimes insted of cruisers I use Carriers. At the end I add to each fleet (exept for transport fleets) one capital ship which is a leader and is equipt with fleet supporting tech, and extra shields and armor. All the time I try to keep my ships maxed and with the best tech. And that is all about my fleet managing.

As for pirates, I simply put some weapons on mining stations, so they will defend themselfs. Usually two torpedo lunchers is eoungh. Of course it will not help if somebody will bring a whole fleet (for egzample Legendary Pirates).

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Beginner Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI